00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

JJColour's Art Adventures

1,678 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 04:37:52

Hello everyone!

I am super new here but I have been arting since I could hold a pencil. I got my first Wacom about 8 years ago and I haven't looked back. I love pushing my limits to learn new styles and I am always up for artistic challenges. Currently, I am trying to focus on making my art more dynamic and colourful. I am also forever working to understand the constant struggle that is lighting.

I will be posting only *new* artwork here, with lots of progress pictures along the way. Please feel free to jump in with suggestions, advice or comments. The more the merrier!

Thanks so much for stopping by :)

If you like what you see, please follow me! :)

Twitter
DeviantArt

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 04:42:14

Here is my current project, some fan art of my favourite Disney villain :)

As you can see, I blocked in a few construction lights and shadows under the sketch for some depth, this is always the hardest part for me. Working on the lines right now. More updates as I progress :D

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 04:47:17

hey, welcome to the art forum, I look forward to seeing your progress!

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 06:45:42

At 5/10/16 04:47 AM, Template88 wrote: hey, welcome to the art forum, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Thank you very much, Template88!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 06:49:28

A bit more progress! I think I got distracted playing with colours and I haven't worked on my lines very much since my last post, lol. Oh well, having a lot of fun, but it is 4am and I should totally be sleeping right now ^_^

More work tomorrow!...er later today?

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 08:13:01

Okay maybe a bit more....

:>

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 10:10:12

Update :)

Here is an up-close snippet of the character herself :) Still so much to do!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 13:54:59

Annnnd another update :)

These waves are killing me T_T..

Almost there :D!!!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 14:47:02

I finished!

:D Here is Ursula in all her horrible glory! :)

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 18:00:54

I've looked through your galery on DA and you have some great artwork and some bad, what I want to say is that your level of quality seems to be very uneven.
But that's just my opinion.
And I think that one should decide if it's going to going draw or paint digitally.
Other thing is that I can't see where are the results of "have been arting since I could hold a pencil".

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-10 19:41:24

At 5/10/16 06:00 PM, ff0066ff wrote: I've looked through your galery on DA and you have some great artwork and some bad, what I want to say is that your level of quality seems to be very uneven.
But that's just my opinion.
And I think that one should decide if it's going to going draw or paint digitally.
Other thing is that I can't see where are the results of "have been arting since I could hold a pencil".

Hey ff0066ff,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it seems quantity of hours invested and quality go hand and hand. Sometimes I spend 5-6 hours on a painting, sometimes 15-20. I suppose every artist does. Quality will vary, but I am trying to nail down a better grasp on some basics to bring more over all polish in the future.

I'm afraid I dont understand what you mean by "one should decide if it's going to going draw or paint digitally" - Isn't that what I am doing?

And... what do you mean by "I cant see where are the results" when it comes to my youth? I meant to say that I have been doing various forms of art since I was a little girl, nothing more.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-14 10:30:25

Welcome to Newgrounds. Love to see WIPs and process here.

I like how you did the background, that clouds look great. Waves and water generally are always tricky to draw.) Water is a real time burner :) Post more.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-14 15:43:08

I like it; the lighting looking great!

BBS Signature

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-15 08:52:44

Welcome to Newgrounds!
That Little Mermaid fanart looks great! Good rendering and colors.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-15 12:02:48

At 5/14/16 10:30 AM, HugoTendaz wrote: Welcome to Newgrounds. Love to see WIPs and process here.

I like how you did the background, that clouds look great. Waves and water generally are always tricky to draw.) Water is a real time burner :) Post more.

Hey Hugo!

Nice to meet you over here :D Thanks very much for the complements. Water is super time consuming, but the rewards are tenfold when it all comes together.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-15 12:03:49

At 5/14/16 03:43 PM, Defectivate wrote: I like it; the lighting looking great!

Thanks so much! I worked very hard on it :)

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-15 12:04:25

At 5/15/16 08:52 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Welcome to Newgrounds!
That Little Mermaid fanart looks great! Good rendering and colors.

<3 Thank you :D

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-16 01:00:41

I have been a busy bee with buying a new camper with my boyfriend that we are going to fix up for adventures this summer! But, I'm still making time for art - yay me! I have three new paintings this week, aside from doodling aimlessly for hours, I managed to finish one for my mom's birthday (I'll spare you the share here) and then there is one I am not quite ready to share - I'm taking a break from it for now out of some frustration, but here is the sketch that I just started. I'll keep you posted on my progress :) Any tips, comments or suggestions are always welcome, thank you!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-16 02:36:54

Here is another update :) Blocking in some colours and textures.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-16 05:17:50

My progress for the night, more tomorrow as I find time :)

Something fun while watching some old cartoons today :)

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-05-24 15:07:18

At 5/15/16 12:02 PM, JJColours wrote:
At 5/14/16 10:30 AM, HugoTendaz wrote: Welcome to Newgrounds. Love to see WIPs and process here.

Hey Hugo!

Nice to meet you over here :D Thanks very much for the complements. Water is super time consuming, but the rewards are tenfold when it all comes together.

Yes, you did a great job with the water.

And it's great to meet another fan of old cartoons:) That's a great Rosie.

A fun drawing for the group @AnimalAlphabets over on twitter :)

J is for Jackalope

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-06-05 01:21:30

So hot outside /melts...

Been a bit busy, but I made some time to paint a bear today :)

Enjoy :D

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2016-06-05 02:18:43

At 6/5/16 01:21 AM, JJColours wrote: So hot outside /melts...

Been a bit busy, but I made some time to paint a bear today :)

Enjoy :D

The fur textures on the bear look amazing! That Rosie looks cool too.

The art in your thread is just over all well done. The shading and highlights are always on point.

Keep up the interesting work :)

Some rad stuff you've got here! Yeah, I also struggle with lighting, among other things including drawing hands and faces ._.

I found a series of videos that teaches light and shadow and that kind of stuff. It's lengthy as hell but it's the best you can find out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZuGE&list=PLV2X3tgajVlHkH3FHxm3rLZWqScFTRhtv

At 6/5/16 02:18 AM, anthchem wrote: The fur textures on the bear look amazing! That Rosie looks cool too.
The art in your thread is just over all well done. The shading and highlights are always on point.
Keep up the interesting work :)
At 6/5/16 10:59 AM, Kanade-Chizuru wrote: Some rad stuff you've got here! Yeah, I also struggle with lighting, among other things including drawing hands and faces ._.

:) Fur is so fun~ Thanks so much, I feel I struggle with lighting so its good to know I might be improving! Thanks also for the video, I am definitely going to be watching these... I am addicted to painting videos. /sigh

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-21 20:48:38

*blows dust*

Whew, its been a while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. Beside being a rather busy few months, I am prone to bouts of social drought. However, I have been busy artsing and I thought I'd share a few of my favorites in here - the rest you can see in my profile :)

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-21 20:49:45

I really enjoyed this style, I hope to revisit it.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-21 20:51:01

This is what no sleep does!