00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

brabbit117 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

JJColour's Art Adventures

1,682 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-21 20:53:02

My most recent finished work :)

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-21 20:54:21

And lastly.. something I'm currently working on.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-24 04:34:39

Would love some feedback from anyone who's kind enough to view this image. Hopefully its readable, a bear and bunny. Which of the compositions do you find more interesting? Please comment simply with which number, and if you are feeling so inclined explain why. I am currently trying to study the subject to add more life to my illustrations. These are simply thumbnail sketches, only for the purpose of design. Thanks so much for anyone who gives any feedback!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-24 06:54:31

At 3/24/17 04:34 AM, JJColours wrote: Would love some feedback from anyone who's kind enough to view this image. Hopefully its readable, a bear and bunny. Which of the compositions do you find more interesting? Please comment simply with which number, and if you are feeling so inclined explain why. I am currently trying to study the subject to add more life to my illustrations. These are simply thumbnail sketches, only for the purpose of design. Thanks so much for anyone who gives any feedback!

2 or 5 does it for me. 2; the image feels a little more intimidating being close to the bear and you feel like you are in the same situation as the bunny. 5; you feel like you are joining the bunny in its curiosity, at the same time with the bear being further away you want to know more, ie; you wish to know if it really is a bear and if it's dangerous.

Personally I would go for 5. You feel like you are within in the piece and wish to explore :) Hope this helps!

- I do not wish to hurt you, just merely torture you -

BBS Signature

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-24 15:04:32

2 or 5 does it for me. 2; the image feels a little more intimidating being close to the bear and you feel like you are in the same situation as the bunny. 5; you feel like you are joining the bunny in its curiosity, at the same time with the bear being further away you want to know more, ie; you wish to know if it really is a bear and if it's dangerous.

Personally I would go for 5. You feel like you are within in the piece and wish to explore :) Hope this helps!

You have no idea how much I appreciate this feedback. I don't have many people that follow my art (yet!), so the only opinions I've managed to gather is from family and friends, who are not exactly artistic minded. No one could tell my why they thought 5 was interesting, but literally all of them said at least 5 and one other, much like yourself.

All so interesting, I will keep working on these, I find the results of why people choose what they do nearly as interesting as the designing itself.

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-24 17:32:17

Here is the final composition I decided on, all that is left is to actually illustrate it hehe!

The process I took to learn all of these things finally feels a little more tangible, even though there is still so much more to know. Hoping to apply these concepts in my future work as I progress!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-24 19:16:12

Someone mentioned it looked a little uphill, so I dropped my horizon line and tweaked my shadows a bit. I like it much better :)

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-24 20:59:37

Update, here is my under painting :)

Going to keep tweaking the values and then try and dive into colour, then.... ONLY then.... details! I will break my bad habits if its the last thing I do!!!!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-25 04:32:31

My first ever thought out composition with an actual background, YAY. Painstakingly, I took the time to stop painting how I normally do and go back to the basics, follow some steps and try to do something new... I threw everything that I've been learning over the last week into it and I am really happy with how it turned out. I cant wait to explore more ideas!

Oh! I streamed the colouring process on twitch earlier today (from greyscale underpainting to final render) I'll be updating this post once I have it on youtube.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with advice for this project!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-25 05:37:52

Nice finish! You did right in following to drop the horizon line, was a good move. Nice finish up though really - I look forward to seeing what you do next with what you've learned!

oop, he really wants that carrot-he's going for it!:

- I do not wish to hurt you, just merely torture you -

BBS Signature

Here is the youtube video I promised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_hNrOKgWY
My first one! *excited*

At 3/25/17 05:37 AM, NilesCD wrote:
Nice finish! You did right in following to drop the horizon line, was a good move. Nice finish up though really - I look forward to seeing what you do next with what you've learned!

oop, he really wants that carrot-he's going for it!:

He is SO going for it! Thanks so much!

Response to JJColour's Art Adventures 2017-03-26 16:30:47

Another painting using composition! I had a ton of fun with this and learned even more about value, colour and harmony. I really enjoyed putting it together.

...Do you think he'll catch him?

Final Image: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jjcolours/steady
Youtube Speedpaint: ((coming soon!!))