00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

2000STATION just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Am I funny? (Examples included)

397 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey, I've grown 300 subs in a under a year from nothing, by making short animated funny videos.

I want to know why my channel isn't growing faster like some other animation channels.

Is my content funny?

My YouTube channel is Mediocartoons, but I'll link a video here just to make it easier for you.

My latest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKfQeXiJEo

My personal funniest 13+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRN9O2B1sc

My personal funniest 18+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDo_rLPnTU

Feedback appreciated.

Response to Am I funny? (Examples included) 2017-03-28 06:31:57

You should try posting this in the Animation forum, so you can get advice from actual animators.

As far as I know, I watched a couple of your videos and my number one concern is the pacing. Many of your videos can be watched comfortably at 1.5× speed (or are even better that way) and sometimes there's a lot of unnecessary, boring build-up which could be cut out.
E.g. your latest video; I know the goal there was to create a boring conversation, but there's no reason to drag that for a full minute. That way, you won't just imply a boring conversation, the whole video may feel boring, simply because half of the thing is gone and you still haven't seen anything interesting yet. Even if the punchline is good, with such a long introduction, unless it's really awesome, it might turn out just "meh".
Or the psychotherapist video – it's funny, but roughly 80 % could be cut out. Everything should be building up for the punchline, yet the prior conversation is mostly a filler.
A really good joke was the "Living on my own" video. But the whole thing could be 20 seconds long and still be awesome; instead, there's plenty of word clutter which doesn't really contribute to the funniness of the punchline. Even one of the comments say: "The ending was perfect.", not "This video was perfect."
The five second intro (as you worry about in another topic) doesn't matter, it's the following content that does. For example, check asdf movie. It's two minutes long, yet they make like a dozen of fast-paced jokes. Your jokes need to be longer, because they're not as random as this, but not that longer.

I'm not an animator though, just a lame writer, so try asking animators for more profound feedback. I like your style by the way, the voice acting is good, the crumpled paper looks interesting and it doesn't matter the characters look plain as long as the video is funny. Which sometimes is, sometimes isn't (e.g. the skinny/fat people, parents on WhatsApp – those are just observations, you have to put them in some sort of funny situation; then they become funny), but mostly I'd say it's average (often because the length makes you expect something more than there actually is). But don't worry, everybody improves, and you'll only get better over time. If you want to get noticed more, try commenting on other animators' videos if you don't do it already (don't advertise your channel; just comment – and if you are nice / offer constructive criticism, people will feel inclined to check your content as well).

Good luck. ;)

Thank you, Rilifaen

I really appreciate your in depth response. I've taken a lot from this. Primarily
- Make my jokes longer
- Make sure everything builds up to the punchline
- Make videos faster paced, and less reptilian, because they no one likes jokes that dragon(sorry had to)

I honestly really am grateful for such extensive feedback, and I'll definitely be putting it to use. I'll also take your advice and post this in the animator section. The reason I posted it here is because I wouldn't consider myself much of an animator by Newgrounds' standards.

<3 this heart is for you.