00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BWWAA-LORD-OF-DUCKS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Strange Dream Thread

444 Views | 17 Replies

Newgrounds, we all feel differently about dreams, don't we? You know when I took writing classes my teachers would criticize my writing saying that I needed to speak more matter of factly, I had to convince the reader I knew what I was talking about, and somehow force my opinion on them. I prefer asking, telling is for people who think they know, and for those people only.

Are dreams prophetic? Are dreams significant, are ALL dreams interpretable? Are they just a tired mind replaying the events of the day and the hopes of tomorrow in strange incomplete ways? This is a thread to:

A.) Share strange dreams you've had, and what you think, if anything, they mean.
B.) To discuss dreams in general, and the significance or insignificance
C.) To just make dick jokes as is newgrounds preference, I legitimately appreciate actual expression, if you're funny, you're funny, if I had my way this site would be much more free for expression it's a shame it's not.

I'll start:

Childhood: In my youth I had typical children dreams, or so I think. Being chased, falling and waking up from the sensation, I think childhood dreams are mostly training manuals for the worst case scenario, maybe I'm just dark. I had alot of dreams where I couldnt make noise. One dream a man chases me up a tree, a man apparently trusted by my family and youll see why in a second, and he starts climbing to get me, my father appears from around the bend and sees us two, and assumes we're just playing or something, I go to yell out to him and no words come and he leaves.

Teenage Years: I took sociology in highschool, and they say the brain goes through what they call pruning, where parts of the brain and memories and pathways therein are stripped in lieu of more useful things, men have 3 of these in their life, the first being the late teens. I was also a heavy drug user and an alcoholic, I still am really, so it could have been both these factors that lead to these dreams:

- Dream 1: In a tell tale heart style, in this dream I live in a truck ( I grew up very poor compared to most of you and this isn't really a stretch to begin with ) think of this truck like a blazer, a pickup truck but covered. In this truck I have a cooler in which I have placed a body of someone I killed, one of those chest coolers, I don't know who, faceless body. Every night, once a night the lid slams open and wakes me up. every night I chain it down in new elaborate ways yet it persists. This is a typical human dream with a darker twist, a fire you cant put out.

- Dream 2: This one makes no sense but still haunts me in a way, and is very hard to describe and make you understand. A bit of explanation, sometimes I shake in my sleep, I'm not sure why, and sometimes it wakes me. When I was younger this just started happening and I think these dreams were my minds interpretation. One night I go to sleep, the room im in is an attic, and there is a hallway thing, hard to describe, I should draw it. anyways its a closet, so I put my bed in it, to give me more room. The only light is on a switch on the other side of the room. So I fall asleep one night, doors shut, pitch black, Im awoken by shaking. I look at the end of my bed, the only way out, and theres a little girl starring at me in the darkness, expressionless, shes pushing up and down on the bed shaking me, then shes motionless. I slide to the end of the bed and stare at her a second, and slowly motion to get up and she steps asside to let me, I walk acrossed the room, turn on the light and of course shes gone. I then sat in a chair quietly and made a drink, and smoked a cigarette trying to either figure it out or wait for her to come back?

I then started having dreams involving this girl, and it gets weirder. In one dream my girlfriend comes to me and says " the little girl just died, and shes under the door waiting for you." and I said, what do you mean under the door? like in the crack? I look at a painting on the wall in the dream, of a ship, and the sails and ocean move and I go to speak and cant, a reoccurring theme.

Adulthood: Same sort of dreams, much more complex. Had a dream not long ago, that only the water was safe after sundown. If you werent on water, you died. I stole a piece of fence in a park with a little pond because it was getting dark and I couldnt make it to the ocean, and slept in the dream on this floating fence, half in the water. I woke up and went in the city, and in the dream I did mushrooms, and swear i tripped while asleep, maybe its one of those flashbacks they talk about. I stole a ship so I'd be safe and that night in a storm the ship went down and I woke up

Had another dream just the other night I'm on an island in a graveyard and a hooker asks me to spend time with her, and i refuse and the people shes with pull out guns to rob me and I run off. I find a camper with flat tires and broken windows, inside theres a body, and I hide as the people pass. I find the whole island is dead, and when i make my way back to the bridge i walked acrossed its broken out and the tide is too strong to swim.

Tell us some weird dreams newgrounds, we do so enjoy dreams, dont we?

The Strange Dream Thread

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-26 21:54:51

Room Diagram:

The Strange Dream Thread

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-26 22:12:30

At 3/26/17 10:07 PM, D3KU wrote: This is the most memorable dream I've ever had, its like a action movie.

I can remember starting the dream out in a Pelican airship from Halo. We were landing in a battle field within a massive IHOP resteraunt fighting against the covenant from Halo. Soon after that battle we were returned back to our base (seemed like a park or something) for inspection and "reprogramming". I said "hell no" and ran away and they turned my childhood friends into terminators with miniguns. I spent the next half of my dream running away from one of my friends who was sent to kill me for running away. I remember the terminator was in hot pursuit and I thought it would be a great idea to hide behind a curtain so I did and the terminator open fired on me and I woke up.

There have been over interesting ones. I think this one is one of the cooler ones.

Were you playing halo that day? Did you go to bed hungry? oh and fun fact, did you know james cameron came up with the idea for the terminator by getting food poisoning? He got food poisoning and had a dream about machines from the future coming to kill him

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-26 22:26:21

I find difficulties in remembering my dreams nowadays due to my unusual and everchanging sleep patterns, which apparently affects your ability to remember your dreams.

All of my most notable dreams were ones from my childhood. I remember when my bathroom was being raided by 10 pound spiders, I remember getting nightmares from that 90s Hercules Disney cartoon back in 1999. (i was 3 years old, hush.)

One thing that always weirds me out isn't the dream itself, but I walk around, doing something, blissfully forgetting I had a dream the prior night, but then I see a random object that would trigger a spark in my head making me all "wait,I had a dream about this happening."

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-26 22:34:28 (edited 2017-03-26 22:36:04)

At 3/26/17 10:26 PM, Starbutt wrote: I find difficulties in remembering my dreams nowadays due to my unusual and everchanging sleep patterns, which apparently affects your ability to remember your dreams.

Ever try and keep a dream journal? Keep a pen and paper by you and as hard as it is, when a dream wakes you just, jot down the cliff notes, a bullet point, it will only take a minute, and later youll see it and recall. Im a smoker so I often wake from dreams and cant sleep anyways, and will smoke a cigarette and jot it down

All of my most notable dreams were ones from my childhood. I remember when my bathroom was being raided by 10 pound spiders, I remember getting nightmares from that 90s Hercules Disney cartoon back in 1999. (i was 3 years old, hush.)

You're slightly younger than me maybe, i didnt click your profile. do you have a fear of spiders anyways? I hear humans have carried a fear of spiders since our time as amphibians in the ocean, and much like bees, spiders are a misunderstood and super important part of the ecosystem of earth

One thing that always weirds me out isn't the dream itself, but I walk around, doing something, blissfully forgetting I had a dream the prior night, but then I see a random object that would trigger a spark in my head making me all "wait,I had a dream about this happening."

that could also be deja vous, which is a false recollection of memories or so I'm told. But yeah we all, and I hate speaking for everyone but we all seem to remember SOME dreams in some way, which leads me to believe theyre atleast, sort of prolific in nature?

( edit I clicked your profile, you are younger )

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-26 23:56:31

At 3/26/17 10:34 PM, Siktahal wrote: Ever try and keep a dream journal? Keep a pen and paper by you and as hard as it is, when a dream wakes you just, jot down the cliff notes, a bullet point, it will only take a minute, and later youll see it and recall. Im a smoker so I often wake from dreams and cant sleep anyways, and will smoke a cigarette and jot it down

Not really. I could try it

You're slightly younger than me maybe, i didnt click your profile. do you have a fear of spiders anyways?

No. Also as someone who's studied evolutionary biology, there's no definitive way to determine the psychology of animals that have been extinct for 300+ million years. We can certainly hypothesize with the backtracking of fossil records to determine what an animal ate, how they acted etc.

that could also be deja vous, which is a false recollection of memories or so I'm told. But yeah we all, and I hate speaking for everyone but we all seem to remember SOME dreams in some way, which leads me to believe theyre atleast, sort of prolific in nature?

Maybe.

okie.

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-27 00:21:38

At 3/26/17 11:56 PM, Starbutt wrote:
At 3/26/17 10:34 PM, Siktahal wrote: Ever try and keep a dream journal?
Not really. I could try it

You should, youll be amazed at what you forget

You're slightly younger than me maybe, i didnt click your profile. do you have a fear of spiders anyways?
No. Also as someone who's studied evolutionary biology, there's no definitive way to determine...

I'm too drunk to fight with you on this, humans dont have an innate irrational fear of spiders, you're right

Maybe.

Maybe indeed prettyness

okie.

Isn't it though?

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-27 00:35:36

At 3/27/17 12:30 AM, NingNangNong wrote: cant remember having a dream so horrific like this

I said this to you before, too much creepypasta or whatever the deal is.

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-27 14:57:35

Got my ass chewed up by a tiger.

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-27 15:57:21

Since i graduated from highschool my dream never be same, so i cant remember it.
But when im still at highschool most of my dream is i always be a passenger of a same train over and over again. Classic steam engine with toot toot and wooden furniture classic. I just wait on my seat next to window, when i arrived on my destination i wake up.
Happen when i still in highschool no matter where and when i sleep my dream stay the same, i dont know how i can get on that train and i never remember what is my destination and what i do is waiting till my arrival.

Ohayƍ - Kon'nichiwa - Yoi tsuitachi - Konbanwa

Whoever and whenever you are keep doing your best and dont give up for your dream.

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-27 18:27:48 (edited 2017-03-27 18:51:11)

No joke, I was naping and I dreamed I was explaining my past dreams within my dream.

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-27 19:47:07

I've been telling people my dreams for years. They're getting so vivid now that I bet I could turn one of these into a book or something.

I'm a time-traveling assassin, and I kill my targets in ways that look like accidents or suicides. My final mission before retiring is killing a scientist who plans to make a clone army. So I kill the scientist and burn down the lab. But before leaving I steal the scientist's documents and take a budding clone with me. I go to a far-off time period in the past where I train the clone to become an assassin. When he finally is old enough he leaves the house and I begin to study cloning, continuing the loop forever.

A few years ago I had a sociology class with a very regressive professor. Him combined with the fact that I marathoned Drawn Together recently caused me to have a dream where they made a new episode. Foxy discovers WorldStarHipHop and begins to resent black people. After seeing more and more ghetto memes she renounces her race completely and has Princess Clara make her white, which just consists of throwing some flour on her face. The rest of the DT crew wants her to turn black again so people don't think they're racist, so they take Foxy to the Great Black Wax museum. Just as Foxy's rediscovering her love for black people, the museum announces that they've just dedicated a new wing to WorldStarHipHop and ghetto memes. Foxy gets so angry that she says the dreaded N-word, which causes the wax sculptures to come to life and attack the gang. Just as all hope seems lost, Former United States National Security Advisor Colin Powell swoops in and saves the day (the significance being that my sociology professor thinks black republicans are race traitors). And everyone learns a lesson on hating individuals rather than an entire race.

Me and my friends were eating at a local diner when suddenly we see the city is covered in sand. We are then confronted by the Desert Vampire Spirit who kidnaps us and locks us in a pyramid. We walk around for what feels like hours until we give up and just start breaking everything. We eventually find a man hiding behind a curtain and he lets us play with his pet rabbit. The rabbit was the size of a small dog and was wearing some sick bone armor.

This one's a little hazy: I'm a kid playing Wii or PS2 with either my cousin, or some chubby latino kid. My older brother peeks behind the doorway and nags me to quiz him on a foreign language; because he wants to impress a cute foreign girl in his class. Then an alien crash lands in our back yard that looks humanoid covered in armor. Like a Xenomorph or the Elites from Halo. That's all I remember from it.

This one was part of a dream that was absolute nonsense: I'm in the mall and Cold Steel the Hedgehog has got the place on lockdown. He's torturing animals while juggling the severed heads of puppies & kittens. My friends tell me I'm the only one able to stop him but I'm afraid. So they go to a costume store and dress me up to look like Jotaro which gives me the confidence to beat the shit out of Cold Steel. Then after the day is saved I punch this annoying dude from uni and immediately wake up. Also this song played during the fight.

At 3/27/17 06:27 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote: No joke, I was naping and I dreamed I was explaining my past dreams within my dream.

I constantly tell people about my dreams so I get those a lot. I've even had multilayered dreams where I'm explaining a dream to a friend, only to wake up and tell a friend that I just had a dream that I was explaining a dream, only to wake up AGAIN...!

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-28 02:26:19

@Chdonga you should look into lucid dreaming.

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-28 08:17:18

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1418766
This one meant i read too much @TheShadling comics before bed
https://youtube.com/watch?v=LuKZBRYqkGE
I was at least 5 when i had this dream

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-28 09:12:34

At 3/28/17 02:26 AM, WaffleCrisp wrote: @Chdonga you should look into lucid dreaming.

That's actually what got me into writing about my dreams. I can lucid dream from time to time but more often than not I wake up as soon as I realize I'm dreaming.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-28 18:23:41 (edited 2017-03-28 18:24:47)

I astral projected in my dream and floated with my legs folded indian style. I went to the mirror to check if I was awake. In the reflection I saw a pale bald evil version of me looking like darth vader. I was shocked awake in my bed.

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-28 19:54:05

Before i respond individually to you all as best I can, I'd like to say I'm glad this thread was useful, I feel like there's alot of healthy dialogue about the exploration of ones mind here, and on newgrounds, that's a hard thing to achieve

BBS Signature

Response to The Strange Dream Thread 2017-03-28 20:04:03 (edited 2017-03-28 20:05:45)

At 3/27/17 06:27 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote: No joke, I was naping and I dreamed I was explaining my past dreams within my dream.

I've had dreams where I either am dreaming in the dream, or recalling a dream.

At 3/27/17 07:47 PM, Chdonga wrote: I've been telling people my dreams for years. They're getting so vivid now that I bet I could turn one of these into a book or something.

Some people remember better than others, some people place more emphasis on them is why I think.

I'm a time-traveling assassin, and I kill my targets in ways that look like accidents or suicides. My final mission before retiring is killing a scientist who plans to make a clone army. So I kill the scientist and burn down the lab. But before leaving I steal the scientist's documents and take a budding clone with me. I go to a far-off time period in the past where I train the clone to become an assassin. When he finally is old enough he leaves the house and I begin to study cloning, continuing the loop forever.

Were you watching terminator or playing assasins creed? lol I think the baseline is something you took in recent to the dream, but the UNDERLYING meaning to that dream I think is prolific and hard to express in a finite way, perhaps you're worried about repetition in your life, perhaps its resonance from a past life, alot of quantum physicists theorize that atoms are just the vibrations of low notes from one of the 11 strings of the multiverse, and this may infact be a mapping of the mind of god, as einstein went on about the last 30 years of his life.

At 3/28/17 10:40 AM, Gutnacht wrote: I had a dream where I was sitting in a corner alone while I hear voices and then my TV turned on and started flicking strobe lights at me until I woke up sulking.

Sounds like you fell asleep watching tv and woke up half awake, sleep paralysis.

I guess this was a nightmare I've had because it was around the time I found out about schizophrenia, hallucinations and general creepy stuff. I'm just glad I grew out of monsters and evil electronics.

I think the mind dreams in halfs, half what you experience, half what you want, or fear to experience

At 3/28/17 06:23 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote: I astral projected in my dream and floated with my legs folded indian style. I went to the mirror to check if I was awake. In the reflection I saw a pale bald evil version of me looking like darth vader. I was shocked awake in my bed.

That sounds cool, but I also think astro projection is just, you know, a dream. I should be more open minded about it but I'm just, not. I'm sure if I went to sleep concentrating super hard about dreaming of floating out of myself, I would. That doesnt mean I actually left, and if i DID leave then, we leave our bodies every dream, dont we?

The Strange Dream Thread

BBS Signature