00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flinthook Art Contest

15,552 Views | 42 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-01 14:01:01

Seeing everyone here being skeptical regarding being seen or not, I decided to throw in a link to my work as well, been posted for a while now, but hey, just in case o.o

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-02 18:51:39

Still working on the mesh but I was going to make an anchor christmas tree ornament on my 3d printer. Really wanted to do a full on action figure of one of the characters but I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment, not sure if I'll have time to paint it by tomorrow either but here's a progress shot, I'll at least have a grey plastic version posted by tomorrow. I believe I have some twine around here somewhere so I'll hang it off of one of the fir trees out front or something.

Flinthook Art Contest

Image, DC, BOOM!, Dynamite comic book artist, I also make toys and and pixel art.

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-02 23:15:44

Bit more progress, just needs to be optimized for the printer. I didn't need to texture it to print it but I thought it'd be nice to make it into a game ready model, or close to one anyway. I had to sink the ring on the top down into the wood a bit of course. Sending it to the printer in the next hour or so.

Flinthook Art Contest

Image, DC, BOOM!, Dynamite comic book artist, I also make toys and and pixel art.

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 00:12:59

Hitting print, as long as an error doesn't occur I'll have a physical anchor in just under 3 hours. Separated the ring from the top of the anchor to make it easier to print, sand, paint, and hopefully reduce printing errors.

Flinthook Art Contest

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 08:55:05

At 5/2/17 11:15 PM, crashadams wrote: Bit more progress, just needs to be optimized for the printer. I didn't need to texture it to print it but I thought it'd be nice to make it into a game ready model, or close to one anyway. I had to sink the ring on the top down into the wood a bit of course. Sending it to the printer in the next hour or so.

Very cool! Wonder if Tribute would be down to make Flinthook pendants / keychains, I think they could be a hit.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 10:46:13

At 5/3/17 08:55 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/2/17 11:15 PM, crashadams wrote: Bit more progress, just needs to be optimized for the printer. I didn't need to texture it to print it but I thought it'd be nice to make it into a game ready model, or close to one anyway. I had to sink the ring on the top down into the wood a bit of course. Sending it to the printer in the next hour or so.
Very cool! Wonder if Tribute would be down to make Flinthook pendants / keychains, I think they could be a hit.

That is a possibility! My mold making skills are slightly lacking so mass producing them would take me a bit to figure out without just 3d printing them all or outsourcing to a different company but yeah it could work. Also I noticed another 3d modeler on here already made the anchor as part of a Flinthook character model so they could easily take theirs and produce it as well. I really don't have much time between projects or I'd have done a whole character too...maybe later though!

SO...the anchor part got caught on the printer bed and only printed one side and flattened the other side, challenges of working with slightly outdated SLA printers...the ring part printed though so I sanded that and put it in the sun to cure. Re printing the anchor part now.

Flinthook Art Contest

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 19:12:25 (edited 2017-05-03 19:13:51)

OOOOk so my 3d printer is having issues and I won't be able to finish by the deadline but I went ahead and posted the anchor up on sketchfab so you can check it out in VR or move it around with your mouse and or wasd keys.

(Sketchfab viewer link) https://skfb.ly/6q6MH

Also attached is a render of the painted version, which is what it looks like on sketchfab. Also I'm aware the ring is hovering above the anchor in the original concept but to 3d print I needed to merge it down so that's why it looks that way here.

Flinthook Art Contest

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 20:21:58

Won't be able to show anything very nice tonight but here's the whole anchor 3d printed...the top part broke off originally and I just sanded down the end and re printed the top so now I have to fit them back together and do more sanding and priming and if this were for production I'd make a mold and pour wax and refine the wax cast then do ANOTHER mold/casting...this industry can be messy...

Once again, you can check out the model on sketchfab at: https://skfb.ly/6q6MH

Flinthook Art Contest

BBS Signature

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 21:42:29 (edited 2017-05-03 21:42:53)

just finished mine. Really had fun with this one

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 23:38:49

Along with the uncertainty noted in this thread, I'll post my submission here as well just in case! Loving what I'm seeing from this community, very rad work!

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-03 23:54:01

i finished with 6 min left to spare. ex dee

Cartoons are cool

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-04 00:06:01 (edited 2017-05-04 00:11:02)

Response to Flinthook Art Contest 2017-05-04 10:40:35

At 5/3/17 07:12 PM, crashadams wrote: OOOOk so my 3d printer is having issues and I won't be able to finish by the deadline but I went ahead and posted the anchor up on sketchfab so you can check it out in VR or move it around with your mouse and or wasd keys.

(Sketchfab viewer link) https://skfb.ly/6q6MH

That came out really great!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature