00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twinkle123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones?

1,390 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello everyone.
This thread is a bit long only to give you as many details as possible to help me; thanks for the patience.

I always used rather cheap headphones in my life, specially in the 30-50$ range, but in the recent years i started to get most of my tracks from CDS (so higher quality than mp3s) and bought flacs (like from the hdtracks shop).
I have started developing a taste for decent audio files and my favourite music genres have become progressive rock and classic synthwave music from the 70s.
These genres, unlike pop-dance-club-metal ecc, rely more on the dynamic, detail and richness of the sound rather than power and bass (i'm no musician, sorry for using such basic words).

Note that I also started to pretty easily hear the difference between mp3 320 files and better quality ones (such as m4a, flac or Wav).

A month ago i decided to evolve a little and purchase a 100$ headphones.
Unfortunately i don't have any audiophile friends and i wanted to purchase something i could find in stores (for warranty reasons) so i ended up purchasing the "Sennheiser HD 4.30", not professional grade headphones by any means but surely better than super-cheap phones.

The phones were a step up from my cheap old ones, both in sound quality and build construction, and i was pleasantly surprised by the bass response; simply put all of my music sounded better.
However most of my music, as described before, has quite rich dynamics and the high frequencies still "crackled" a very little (however much less than with any other phones i used).

For a bit i was satisfied, but with time i noticed the headphones started crackling more and more on the high frequencies, after just a month of use, and the whole thing felt quite strange.
the sound didn't have any inconsistencies in the glitches (like a speaker dropping in and out) typical of a broken cord.
them throughout the month (i know it sounds weird).
I'll give you an example.
This is "The Private Psychedelic Reel", one of my favourite tracks which i usually play each day (mind the fact the youtube video is compressed, my files are flacs).

https://youtu.be/9Hrv86X9Tss?t=444

The section of the song which starts at 07:25 always crackled a bit with every pair of headphones i have ever owned, but with the latest sennheiser hd 4.30 it worryingly started crackling more and more and more with time (notice i didn't drop the headphones or anything);it literally feels like the phones couldnt handle high frequencies, which show up constantly in the type of music i love, and started degrading a little.

I'm feeling a little bit frustrated by the fact i can't hear high frequencies as good as i want.

Considering i live in denmark, where everything is expensive, it would still cost me around 40$ to buy a new decent cord, contact sennheiser and ship the phones for a warranty claim which might not even solve my issue.

So i'm asking the community to help me find a decent 150$ budget headphones which are good with high frequencies; please only suggest models which you know for sure are good in that regard.

To help you help me i'll state the things i need in a pair of headphones and my favourite bands, so that you can make an educated suggestion. (i also listen to to other music, just less frequently).

Features:
- Decent sturdiness (doesn't have to be premium materials, as long as the construction is sturdy)
- Decent general response to all the frequencies (while i want to concentrate on high frequencies performance, id' still like some at least decent basses)
- GOOD high frequencies response
- (Optional but much appreciated) Detachable cable for easy replacing.

Favourite Music:
- Tangerine Dream (classic 70s Synth)
- Jean Michel Jarre (classic 70s Synth)
- Classic Pink Floyd (1967-1975) (Progressive Rock)
- King Crimson (Progressive Rock)
- Jethro Tull (Progressive Rock)
- The Chemical Brothers (Big Beat - Electro)
- Justice (French Touch - Electro)

(the top 4 have the biggest priority).

Please suggest me something that can be found easily online, preferably on amazon.de
Budget is still a concern, so if something would be in discount these days the better for me (but not strictly necessary).

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Please feel free to ask me for additional details.

Btw small off topic:
Could the crackling of the sennheiser hd 4.30 be because of the cable?
Seems very strange, because when a cable is bad the issues are different (usually).
I'm asking before buying because a decent jack cable + adapter would easily cost me about 25$ here.

BBS Signature

At 5/23/17 12:30 AM, MistyWaterflower wrote: AKG's man, trust me

Care to specify some models?
Also are AKGs good with high frequencies?
Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-23 15:48:54

Those $20 Sony headphones would do. I use it for everything.

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-23 20:22:25

At 5/23/17 03:48 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: Those $20 Sony headphones would do. I use it for everything.

Thanks for the input, but that's not quite the focus of the thread.

BBS Signature

I'm using the Sennheiser HD280 pro. It's super clear in the mid and high frequencies but definitely lacking in the bass. I find I have to use my speakers to help me mix bass frequencies now.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 03:06:29

At 5/24/17 03:00 AM, etelik wrote:
At 5/22/17 11:28 PM, OrangeWedge wrote: Note that I also started to pretty easily hear the difference between mp3 320 files and better quality ones (such as m4a, flac or Wav).
Just to be sure you should go check for a hearing impairment if mp3 320 is easily distinguishable for you. mp3 works on a psychoacoustical model that removes content that a normaly hearing person shouldn't be able to hear. However, people with hearing damage tend to distinguish an mp3 from a wav easier, because the model doesn't apply to them anymore.

Anyway, AKGs are something I can recommend (for example K612/712). If you really wanna excellent high, you might spend a bit more money (500-700$) for STAX electrostatic headphones.

Well thanks for both suggestions.
The hearing one and the headphones one.

In all seriousness i hear the difference.
Specially in metal music. on flac/wav files i usually hear the bass so much better and clearer (for example).

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 03:11:14

audio-technica mth-50x

please buy it

your tracks will sound good

your ears will be blessed

you will realise how poorly mixed and mastered and just atrocious so many of the songs on newgrounds are

you will get cake

you will get bitches

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 03:52:30

At 5/24/17 03:11 AM, adesus wrote: audio-technica mth-50x

please buy it

your tracks will sound good

your ears will be blessed

you will realise how poorly mixed and mastered and just atrocious so many of the songs on newgrounds are

you will get cake

you will get bitches

I have seen people suggesting me this model also on other forums.
Damn they must really be that good.

BBS Signature

At 5/24/17 03:11 AM, adesus wrote: you will get cake

you will get bitches

Bitches and cake?
Damn i'm sold XD

(i'm joking of course)

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 10:15:27

At 5/23/17 08:22 PM, OrangeWedge wrote:
At 5/23/17 03:48 PM, SnowTeddy wrote: Those $20 Sony headphones would do. I use it for everything.
Thanks for the input, but that's not quite the focus of the thread.

Honestly, the $20 Sony headphones are pretty good - I've used expensive AKG's in the past - what I appreciated about the particular AKG model I had (20 years ago, don't remember the model) was that it was "flat". I didn't have monitors, so those took the place of speakers. Sony's are pretty flat too, and for the price, you can't beat 'em.

The ones you want to look out for are the headphones that some rapper / pop star are wearing and listening to their MP3 collection through. Expensive and over-emphasized.

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 14:35:48

For 150 bucks AudioTechnica ath-m50x are great but also the alltime classics Sennheiser HD 25 1 - II

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 15:35:42

I think some of these suggestions require a headphone amp (or an audio interface with one). For example I know that AKG K701 can have truly great highs & mids, but they do not sound good if you try to play something from e.g. your phone. I would bet that holds for the other AKG's that are marketed as "reference/studio" headphones too. Generally the reviews for each particular product will tell you if this is an issue

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 21:47:44

are you using an amp

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-24 23:35:49

At 5/24/17 09:47 PM, Tykwa wrote: are you using an amp

Not yet.
I'm still slowly evolving as far as the audio experience is concerned.
For now good headphones, eventually an amp and a decent sound card.

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-28 18:10:05

audio technica ath-m50's

trust me dawg

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-28 20:33:20

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-05-28 22:39:40

I have the same issue with most so-called high quality speakers - you get good bass but the highs just aren't there. It almost makes me want to put an earbud in one ear and a headphone on the other.

Let me know what you settle on if it's good. I'm currently using a Razer headset - considering PewDiePie used the same headset for over a year during a period when he was making 2-3 videos per day, it's no surprise they're durable. That said, I can say that I wish the highs were a little better. Other than that I can't complain.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-06-02 00:01:39

At 5/23/17 01:05 PM, OrangeWedge wrote:
At 5/23/17 12:30 AM, MistyWaterflower wrote: AKG's man, trust me
Care to specify some models?
Also are AKGs good with high frequencies?
Thanks.

K52s

Had a number of >$200 models and honestly these stupid things knock it out of the park

Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Those are your industry standard. Myself and every engineer I know use them. 32db of passive noise reduction, and they are only 18ohm... So they can easily be driven loud without an external headphone amp. They are reference or monitoring headphones, so they have a very flat or neutral frequency response; which is ideal for mixing and mastering and individual sounds and tones are easily identifiable. Furthermore, their noise isolation also prevents mic feedback and bleeding if you are using condenser Mics with a high gain.

I use them in the studio, and live at my console.
They retail for $175 on Sweetwater.

BBS Signature

If you're going for m50x, try it first 'cause it has a bit much on high which might not suit your taste. That was my thought when I firstly heard its sound. Anyway, it's really comfy.

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-06-06 12:53:04

At 6/5/17 05:47 PM, Migashi wrote: Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Those are your industry standard. Myself and every engineer I know use them. 32db of passive noise reduction, and they are only 18ohm... So they can easily be driven loud without an external headphone amp. They are reference or monitoring headphones, so they have a very flat or neutral frequency response; which is ideal for mixing and mastering and individual sounds and tones are easily identifiable. Furthermore, their noise isolation also prevents mic feedback and bleeding if you are using condenser Mics with a high gain.

Thanks.
But i'd like to specify the headphones would only be for listening to music, in my case.
I'm no sound engineer.

BBS Signature

Response to Best 150$ "GOOD HIGHS" Headphones? 2017-06-06 23:27:34

At 6/6/17 12:53 PM, OrangeWedge wrote:
At 6/5/17 05:47 PM, Migashi wrote: Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Thanks.
But i'd like to specify the headphones would only be for listening to music, in my case.
I'm no sound engineer.

Oh, well in that case; I'd still highly recommend them. They sound fantastic all around, and being that they are Very low resistance drivers, they are easily driven loudly by any device: portable, static' and with or without external amplification. Did I mention they're comfortable to wear for long periods of time? I tend to game with them in my free time.

BBS Signature