00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

is PHOTOBASHING alwys cprght infr?

446 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi community,

I am a new user (digital artist) here and I still have no art posted on my account, but I have been watching contents on NG since krinkles was still an underdog :D
I recently posted a work of mine to compete in a challenge from youtube's channel "draw with jazza" and since it was done with the PHOTOBASHING technique it was removed by a moderator.
Now, I'm not opposing moderator's action by any meaning, but I also need to say that my work was HEAVILY modified in all its parts to make sure it was no copyright infringement. I watched many tutorials in the years by many concept designers for the game industry who use this technique everyday in their job and I am sure I did as well as them in my piece to make sure that all that remains from the original photographs is only a really vague similarity...
What do you think about this topic? I know there is rule set in stone to judge this matter and I read already about this topic on other forums. apparently there may be no solution to this problem...
Also I'd like to show my piece just to make the example, but I'm sure moderators will remove it :)

At 5/27/17 09:07 AM, stevelamuerte wrote: Also I'd like to show my piece just to make the example, but I'm sure moderators will remove it :)

Hard to understand without a picture.

You can just post your evidence on the forums so we can discuss it further. Mods wont remove it when it is on a thread.

At 5/27/17 10:07 AM, ValterValyun wrote:
At 5/27/17 09:07 AM, stevelamuerte wrote: Also I'd like to show my piece just to make the example, but I'm sure moderators will remove it :)
Hard to understand without a picture.

Apparently it was the pic below:

The reason for its removal is:
"Drones: https://www.skipmillermodels.com/15-products/multi-rotor-drones/67-dj1-inspire background image is a photo. Trees taken from 123RF(Royalty Free), watermark lines visible, and even the 123RF logo is on the sky on left side tree. Rules state: You may not submit a piece using stolen artwork or imagery."

BBS Signature

Response to is PHOTOBASHING alwys cprght infr? 2017-05-27 21:30:55

Bah I hit the post button too early.

I'm not the person who deleted this pic, and considering the stuff I've put on front page I don't have a problem with this pic in the art portal, unless a part of it is definitely copyrighted.

At the same time, I find contest entries like this irritating as it's incredibly hard to judge how much of the pic is your handiwork and how much has been sourced from elsewhere - the original deletion messages says nothing about the t-Rex, which is the focus of the pic.

I also have no faith that stuff like this gets noticed in the Jazza contests, too, which is unfair on people who do paint 100% of their images.

is PHOTOBASHING alwys cprght infr?

BBS Signature

Response to is PHOTOBASHING alwys cprght infr? 2017-05-28 13:15:48

Alright, that being said -- I'm guessing in any form of photobashing is considered against the rules because it is not 100% original to the core.

I wouldn't say copyright infringement is the case since the assets you used are from royalty-free sources. But here on NG, I know for a fact that we have this strict rule --

"If anything you use ain't yours, it ain't yours, period."