00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Net Neutrality Day of Action

19,278 Views | 110 Replies
Respond to this Topic

You have probably noticed a "Slow Lane" message when you visited NG today. Newgrounds is participating in the Internet-Wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality.

Net Neutrality basically means that your internet provider can't control your access to individual websites / internet services.

For example, if Verizon wants you to use their video on demand service, they would benefit from slowing down your access to Netflix or YouTube.

This actually happened in 2013, when Verizon oversaturated connections to Cogent (a large bandwidth provider for both Netflix and Newgrounds at the time), throttling speeds. During this time Netflix video lagged during peak hours and Newgrounds loaded slowly as well. We were locked into a long-term contract with Cogent and this period severely hurt our traffic. I made several mentions of it at the time.

Without Net Neutrality, service providers could also sell access to websites as packages. For example you might pay Verizon for a package that includes fast access to Netflix and YouTube, whereas a smaller website such as NG would be left behind. Verizon could demand fees from every individual website if they wanted. We already pay a small fortune in bandwidth fees and Verizon collects fees from their end users - they shouldn't be trying to double dip and collect from both sides. The Internet was paid for by our tax dollars and broadband providers received huge subsidies to expand their networks. It's interesting that with cable TV, Verizon will actually pay ESPN to provide their content to users, whereas they don't have to pay companies like NG or YouTube a dime and could even charge us for access to end users.

On February 26, 2015, the FCC ruled in favor of net neutrality by reclassifying broadband as a common carrier. Since then, we've had Net Neutrality and there has been no need to re-legislate it, despite a lot of shady efforts by broadband providers to do so.

Take this example, where lobbyists essentially tricked civil rights groups into urging Senators to craft "a permanent statutory solution" to "solve" net neutrality - the groups thought they were taking a stand to protect Net Neutrality but we already had it and the goal was to re-open it on the floor in an attempt to weaken it.

Our current head of the FCC is a former Verizon lawyer and has been working to gut Net Neutrality since day one. Today's Day of Action is an opportunity to let our elected representatives know we won't be re-electing them if they follow along with this plan.

In March, 265 members of Congress successfully voted to eliminate our Internet privacy rights, meaning your ISP is allowed to sell your personal Internet usage data. Here is a list of who they are and how much they received in contributions from broadband providers. This legislation served no useful purpose to their constituents, the whole thing was just super disgusting and everyone involved should be booted out.

It's the same with Net Neutrality - you will never see a single benefit of Net Neutrality being undone, it will only make your life worse. The only people who stand to benefit from it are the near-monopoly of broadband providers and they are already doing just fine - they're probably enjoying the windfall of selling your browsing info!

Thanks for reading and sorry if the "Slow Lane" overlay startled you! It's important that everyone is aware of what is going on. Along with a million other issues, please keep this in mind the next time your chance to vote comes around.

Visit battleforthenet.com to send a letter to the FCC, voicing your support for Net Neutrality.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 10:59:45

This whole thing is why I call BS on conservatives when they say regulation is bad for small business and the economy. The truth is that large corporations are bad for small business and the economy, and they need to be regulated so they don't develop a stranglehold on the important aspects of our lives. We need less idealism in government and more common sense...

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 11:14:47

Net Neutrality is a bad thing. More regulation for the internet is going to cause prices to go higher and quality to go down until leftists declare that we need a single payer internet.

I can't convince anyone on here who's already on board the Net Neutrality train. Please do your research, look at the counterarguments, stop falling for the propaganda and flowery language.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 11:17:22

At 7/12/17 11:14 AM, Izzy-A wrote: Net Neutrality is a bad thing. More regulation for the internet is going to cause prices to go higher and quality to go down until leftists declare that we need a single payer internet.

Internet For All sounds pretty awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 11:32:36

I would sign, but I'm a Canadian and I don't think my signature should be apart of another countries legal proceedings regardless if I agree with them or not.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 11:42:44

At 7/12/17 11:32 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: I would sign, but I'm a Canadian and I don't think my signature should be apart of another countries legal proceedings regardless if I agree with them or not.

I'm sure there's a joke about Russia somewhere in here.

BBS Signature

Woo 5th!
Edit : beaten twice

Anyway, I don't like talking about politics (like how I don't rant about it,) but I'll say this: My internet's slow enough.

"I was born... out of the greediness of mankind. While men exist, so will I... BLAAAGGHHH!!" - Bacterion

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:00:22

So, like SOPA but worse? Like last time, though, I guess I can't do anything for this seeing as I don't live in the US.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:09:53

Thanks for reminding me of the ongoing fight to protect net neutrality. I signed the form.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:12:30

I agree with this, but I'm from Mexico...

2015 - 2020 Iori Licea. Making Fun For Everyone! ^w^

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:23:36

sorry guys but not only am i not old enough to help, i also live in europe, but i hope that NG and everything great about the internet doesnt take a beating today because some rich guys wanna have advantage. You have my full support.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:35:31

With net neutrality, everyone gets to enjoy everything!
So let's allow everything, by everyone!
FOR NEWGROUNDS!

Crazy Artist, Roboticist and Programmer... that's about it.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:39:48

At 7/12/17 11:42 AM, sjwgenocide wrote:
At 7/12/17 11:14 AM, Izzy-A wrote: Net Neutrality is a bad thing. More regulation for the internet is going to cause prices to go higher and quality to go down until leftists declare that we need a single payer internet.
otoh lack of regulation on ISPs as it stands is why despite having invented the internet, we are not even in the top 10 fastest connection speeds by country, and we are currently in a chokehold on internet speeds courtesy of comcast's de facto monopoly. whatever our nation's attitude is towards internet regulation, it's the wrong attitude.

Psst you know the internet wasn't invented in the US right? It was an Englishman by the name of Tim Berners-Lee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee) :)

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:45:34

At 7/12/17 12:39 PM, School wrote: Psst you know the internet wasn't invented in the US right? It was an Englishman by the name of Tim Berners-Lee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee) :)

Actually the Internet was created by the US Department of Defense in the 60s. Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web in the 90s - using the backbone of the Internet. When Verizon slows down Netflix, that is them messing with the Internet, beyond the web. Net Neutrality protects the web too, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 12:47:29

At 7/12/17 12:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: Actually the Internet was created by the US Department of Defense in the 60s. Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web in the 90s - using the backbone of the Internet. When Verizon slows down Netflix, that is them messing with the Internet, beyond the web. Net Neutrality protects the web too, though.

Dammit Tom! There I was thinking i knew something and you had to ruin it :P

<3

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:04:01

How come your text is always in brighter colors than the rest of the plebeian scum population on this website?

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:08:29

Good job Newgrounds on supporting the cause. I know that I've contacted my representative about this issue.

BBS Signature

I sent a letter via battleforthenet yesterday. I really do think the popup that appeared is good, Tom. The people have to fight against the FCC.

I wonder what would happen if the FCC gets their way. I know that many sites are against what they plan to do. Would the sites all refuse to operate? Would someone try to create a new Internet separate from the FCC's internet, and would it work?

I just hope we win this battle so we don't have to worry about any of these things.

I wonder if it's possible to become your own Internet Service Provider...

Enter your signature text...

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:24:06

At 7/12/17 01:04 PM, Slint wrote: How come your text is always in brighter colors than the rest of the plebeian scum population on this website?

Ya know that's a good question... Staff has always been a brighter white, maybe we should ditch that when the forums move to the new layout. Or make it... a supporter feature...

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:25:32

At 7/12/17 01:04 PM, Slint wrote: How come your text is always in brighter colors than the rest of the plebeian scum population on this website?

because if you owned a website with a forum wouldn't you want your text to stand out, too? Plebian scum!

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:26:10

At 7/12/17 01:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Ya know that's a good question... Staff has always been a brighter white, maybe we should ditch that when the forums move to the new layout. Or make it... a supporter feature...

no wtf don't kowtow to plebian scum requests it makes it easy to find your posts in the menagerie

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:27:00

At 7/12/17 01:16 PM, DraxoBox wrote: I sent a letter via battleforthenet yesterday. I really do think the popup that appeared is good, Tom. The people have to fight against the FCC.

I wonder what would happen if the FCC gets their way. I know that many sites are against what they plan to do. Would the sites all refuse to operate? Would someone try to create a new Internet separate from the FCC's internet, and would it work?

I just hope we win this battle so we don't have to worry about any of these things.

I wonder if it's possible to become your own Internet Service Provider...

The hope would be that we could have alternative Internet providers if it ever became an issue. The difficult thing is that much of the radio spectrum has been auctioned off already, so companies like Verizon already own it and smaller providers (like T-Mobile) have to rent it from them, while land lines are controlled by the existing cable providers and it's extremely difficult to compete in that space.

Maybe we can entangle a bunch of photons and make some new quantum Internet outside of the existing spectrum, that sure would be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:31:26

At 7/12/17 01:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: Maybe we can entangle a bunch of photons and make some new quantum Internet outside of the existing spectrum, that sure would be cool.

I wonder about the costs and logistics of sending up a couple of privately-funded satellites, sort of like the old Pirate Radio days... but with slow-ass internet.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:55:23

Thank you for standing up for the Internet, Tom. We need all the help we can get. It seems like such a helpless situation from the plebeian's point of view and it's nice to have some allies with more clout.

At 7/12/17 11:14 AM, Izzy-A wrote: Please do your research, look at the counterarguments, stop falling for the propaganda and flowery language.

Seems like you're the one who's fallen for the propaganda, friend.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 13:59:18

Something like the internet shouldn't be censored like this, The internet is almost as important as electricity at this point.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 14:05:19

I can't convince anyone on here who's already on board the Net Neutrality train. Please do your research, look at the counterarguments, stop falling for the propaganda and flowery language.

herp-a-derp, pls maek my argewment 4 me pls, bekuz i'm sush a speshul snoflake that i kan't do it muhself, and ur all too stoopid to handel the trooth

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 14:09:21

At 7/12/17 01:55 PM, GUTHRIE wrote: Thank you for standing up for the Internet, Tom. We need all the help we can get. It seems like such a helpless situation from the plebeian's point of view and it's nice to have some allies with more clout.

At 7/12/17 11:14 AM, Izzy-A wrote: Please do your research, look at the counterarguments, stop falling for the propaganda and flowery language.
Seems like you're the one who's fallen for the propaganda, friend.

Oh, look at me, I'm so smart, therefor everyone who disagrees with me must be a mindless shill

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 14:20:20

I signed but did not put my number, don't think having someone talking like a frog with a four pack a day habit would help the cause, being sick sucks big balls...

does the internet have a central server where internet providers buy internet and then charge people for it? Also the internt is a public service it should be uncensored and unfiltered

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-12 14:37:34

Tom Fulp, I'm surprised that you of all people are a supporter of net neutrality. I've followed your website for years with all of its amazing content and diverse array of time wasting opportunities and I am befuddled as to how this site isn't at least in the top 50 globally. Looking at your comments on this issue, it's plain to see why that's the case

"Net Neutrality basically means that your internet provider can't control your access to individual websites / internet services."

Okay I'm assuming that your support for net neutrality is you projecting insecurities about your own website. You are worried that sites like yours will not be able to compete without a public bureaucracy. You are literally saying, "My product is not of competitive quality, please support a politician or ideology that will force you to see it as a quality product!" People who are literally rationing out the internet so folks like you and perhaps even other companies like Verizon can stagnate and become complacent yet still turn a profit. For you to think the FCC is looking out for the "little guy" by regulating internet traffic (and creating the inequality you are complaining about) is beyond me. These centralized powers CREATE monstrosities like Facebook, Amazon, Verizon, etc. not destroy them.You admit to this yourself... You're on the wrong side of the pond Tom!

If the FCC is choosing to not provide free labor to businesses that should be accommodating themselves with their own revenue, so be it. Without the crutch afforded to certain services by free regulation via the government, these businesses would fall flat on their faces if they didn't keep up.(making way for the mom and pop sites) I believe the people should decide what products they use and when they use it-----not the government. Single payer internet would be a disaster. imagine waiting behind thousands of people in a queue just to check an e-mail. Madness!At least if Verizon starts doing all these packs and whatnot, people can simply switch to another provider. I prefer ATT and Cox lol.

Net Neutrality Day of Action