00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

universerepair36 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Net Neutrality Day of Action

19,306 Views | 110 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-15 00:39:15

At 7/12/17 10:54 AM, TomFulp wrote: In March, 265 members of Congress successfully voted to eliminate our Internet privacy rights, meaning your ISP is allowed to sell your personal Internet usage data. Here is a list of who they are and how much they received in contributions from broadband providers. This legislation served no useful purpose to their constituents, the whole thing was just super disgusting and everyone involved should be booted out.

It's amazing how few people know that this actually happened. I wonder if they're selling our passwords too -- since suspiciously around April, some of my accounts, including my email, were compromised.

It's the same with Net Neutrality - you will never see a single benefit of Net Neutrality being undone, it will only make your life worse. The only people who stand to benefit from it are the near-monopoly of broadband providers and they are already doing just fine - they're probably enjoying the windfall of selling your browsing info!

Quote for truth!

Thanks for reading and sorry if the "Slow Lane" overlay startled you! It's important that everyone is aware of what is going on. Along with a million other issues, please keep this in mind the next time your chance to vote comes around.

Didn't startle me. Annoyed me after it popped up a few times and I'd already done the little form. I also had already filled out the battleforthenet form.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-15 09:25:39

At 7/12/17 01:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/12/17 01:04 PM, Slint wrote: How come your text is always in brighter colors than the rest of the plebeian scum population on this website?
Ya know that's a good question... Staff has always been a brighter white, maybe we should ditch that when the forums move to the new layout. Or make it... a supporter feature...

I've been on this website for over 8 years and I just noticed this... wow

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-15 20:11:45

good thing I wrote the government a message I cant just do nothing about this!

Let the Past Be The Past The Present Is Currently Important Because Dwelling On The Future Will Lead To Failure.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-16 03:42:54

At 7/12/17 02:37 PM, SurgeAction wrote:

Tom Fulp, I'm surprised that you of all people are a supporter of net neutrality. I've followed your website for years with all of its amazing content and diverse array of time wasting opportunities and I am befuddled as to how this site isn't at least in the top 50 globally. Looking at your comments on this issue, it's plain to see why that's the case
Okay I'm assuming that your support for net neutrality is you projecting insecurities about your own website. You are worried that sites like yours will not be able to compete without a public bureaucracy. You are literally saying, "My product is not of competitive quality, please support a politician or ideology that will force you to see it as a quality product!" People who are literally rationing out the internet so folks like you and perhaps even other companies like Verizon can stagnate and become complacent yet still turn a profit. For you to think the FCC is looking out for the "little guy" by regulating internet traffic (and creating the inequality you are complaining about) is beyond me. These centralized powers CREATE monstrosities like Facebook, Amazon, Verizon, etc. not destroy them.You admit to this yourself... You're on the wrong side of the pond Tom! "Net Neutrality basically means that your internet provider can't control your access to individual websites / internet services."
If the FCC is choosing to not provide free labor to businesses that should be accommodating themselves with their own revenue, so be it. Without the crutch afforded to certain services by free regulation via the government, these businesses would fall flat on their faces if they didn't keep up.(making way for the mom and pop sites) I believe the people should decide what products they use and when they use it-----not the government. Single payer internet would be a disaster. imagine waiting behind thousands of people in a queue just to check an e-mail. Madness!At least if Verizon starts doing all these packs and whatnot, people can simply switch to another provider. I prefer ATT and Cox lol.

The problem is, if Verizon has access to stop all of these small internet services, why would they not? All power would be in their hands, and they could just virtually shut down all sites that refuse to give them money whether via ads or hard cash. And the provider issue, well, why would other companies not do the same?

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-16 05:43:03

Keep on trucking!

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-16 16:31:16

Wait, so this only affects the US? I live in Europe, but how does that work?

I still sent an email supporting Net Neutrality. Internet is for everyone! :D

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-16 20:15:34

At 7/16/17 04:31 PM, DoodlingHitman wrote: Wait, so this only affects the US? I live in Europe, but how does that work?

Oh, I'm sure it'll affect those outside of the US, as well. Set a precedent, if nothing else, though I'd imagine there are a handful of American sites, like this one, that would likely be negatively impacted by it, which, of course, would be felt by NG members who live outside of the states (provided those members care enough about Newgrounds, that is).

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-16 21:22:52

The bottom line is, without Net Neutrality the ISPs are free to charge whatever they want for poor service and there's nothing you could do about it because most areas only have a single provider.
Do you think they won't take advantage?

The lack of competition is why Comcast already sucks as bad as it does. They throw money at congress, and congress blocks other ISPs from starting up. This isn't speculation, this has actually happened several times when various communities tried to start up their own local ISPs.

The fact is, if a page takes forever to load, it really doesn't matter how good the content is.
That's why Net Neutrality is important.

People say they don't want the government deciding what sites they can access.
Net Neutrality means nobody can tell you what things you can access.
Without Net Neutrality, Comcast will be deciding what sites you can access, and they are very much for sale to the highest bidder.

As annoying as regulations can be, most of them have a purpose.
We require people to get a license to drive a car so that most people on the road have enough basic skill to not kill everyone.

You hear a lot of BS buzzwords thrown about by people against it. Buzzwords give you that reflexive emotional response that blocks out any further information.

When someone is trying to shut your brain down like that, they are trying to fuck you.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-17 02:58:55

At 7/12/17 11:14 AM, Izzy-A wrote: Net Neutrality is a bad thing. More regulation for the internet is going to cause prices to go higher and quality to go down until leftists declare that we need a single payer internet.

I can't convince anyone on here who's already on board the Net Neutrality train. Please do your research, look at the counterarguments, stop falling for the propaganda and flowery language.

Hi.

I'm a Telecommunications Engineer of about 7 years now.This is not an issue conjured up by 'leftists'. You're way off the mark.

Some food for thought:

1. Degrees of regulation that prevent companies from being grubby shitcunts are absolute necessity for our progress and prosperity. Did you know it used to be illegal to tamper with phones in your OWN home because everything from the CO/Linecard to your device (including the device itself) used to be owned by Bell? You couldn't even swap a cable if you wanted. There was -no- demarc. It was ILLEGAL. In addition- it was absolutely disgusting and brutal if you were a mom and pop shop trying to start up a business to compete with any of the ILECs (Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers) like Bell/AT&T, etc. They basically monopolized the market for quite some time and dropped lines just about everywhere (with a dash of a greasy pat-on-the-ass back and forth with the government to ensure the ability to communicate was propagated across the country in even the most rural areas) and dropping infrastructure is not cheap. For a monster like Bell/AT&T that has been at it for some time, this was not a problem as effectively they were the "only plumber in town" and basically scaled financially early on to roll straight into a consistent 3% of the country's GDP. Mom and pop shop? Just some dildos with no cheddar to drop on infrastructure. ILECs would crush them and did -not- have to play nice or provide access to their infrastructure. Actually, they would offer rates to 'competition' that were ludicrous and multitudes higher than operating cost to ensure entry into the market was too costly or simply impossible. In short, without horizontal and vertical deregulation (e.g. Such as the Telecomm act of 1996) we would be in the fucking stone-age still.

2. Further to the previous point- The Internet as we know it would not exist. This is a very, very long point to dig into but suffice it to say that communications corporations that were the gorilla of the market in any space had zero interest in branching out to new and interesting things as they thought 'phone' tech was sufficient. I mean, shit, it worked for over 70+ years, why fix what's not broken? In addition- the few things that they did try to 'engineer' was disgustingly inefficient, overly engineered and complicated in order to have a high bar/requirement in order to familiarize yourself with it. Ever heard of SS7? Yeah. Try explaining to anyone with half a brain that it was a good concept let alone implementation. It was pathetic. So- before the Telecomm act hit, companies were striking up lawsuits when people were starting to send signals over the ILEC's infrastructure (which, by the by, in the days of circuit switching and the ~60% Erlang's rule, still did not cause ANY actual peaks or problems, regardless of what nay-sayers might tell you), they started to shit bricks and realize it was something they needed to get on top of as it was not handled by them and could not control it. Hell, frivolous lawsuits are the reason we are behind in communications technology by a couple of decades alone. It wasn't until bulkier entities like the DOJ/Military/IMI space got involved with ARPANET that AT&T/Bell calmed their collective tits cause you don't fuck with the government at this level. Oh no. Not when they've let you run wild with 3% of the GDP for nearly 100 years. Sorry- I strayed off point for a second here. The ultimate take-away here is that the people that fucked about with sending signals over their lines that did end up entangled lawsuits had to fight an uphill battle because the ILECs were unregulated greedy shitcunts that could muscle their way into or out of any situation as they pleased. But they DID end up pioneering a platform which was alternative to the current means to communicate. I mean, shit, before any RFCs were crafted for the TCP/IP stack as we know it nowadays, these guys were fucking about and coming up with interesting stuff which folks further up the foodchain caught wind of.

3. Without proper regulation to maintain all the dominant LECs in check, we would have absolutely fucking retarded shit happening for all the wrong reasons. Let's start with when the ILECs were starting to FINALLY realize the world is bigger than telephones alone. Remember ATM? Remember that shit? Yeah. Let's talk about ATM for a second here... The cell is 53 bytes? Hmmm. Do you know why it is 53 bytes? Technical reasons? Nope. A standardized padding or overhead system that required it for in-band signalling/control? Nope. It was a fucking pissing contest between European and North American entities. It was completely arbitrary and mundane. There were a few engineers that wanted to suggest an offset based on payload sizes that are common but LOL NO FUCK THAT cause pissing contest. Regulation that was imposed by governments helped bring about global standards that are adhered to, to this day. Effectively, it was actually thanks to the Internet (you know, that pesky thing that the incumbents didn't care for at all at the time) that they're being kept in check. X over MPLS became the new ATM and even its predecessor, frame relay, proved to be far more efficient and consistent.

I could keep going on forever as to why regulation is important and necessary but let's debunk your claims that you've posted thus far:

"Net Neutrality is a bad thing. More regulation for the internet is going to cause prices to go higher and quality to go down until leftists declare that we need a single payer internet."

1. 'More regulation is going to cause prices to go higher' - What? Bullshit. You think that it is REGULATION that will cause prices to go higher? So... A momentary sidestep to educate: There is a contending idea that proposes that the other, other white meat of infrastructure (DOCSIS 3.x+ tier Cable/Coax trees) is starting to get less used because of people utilizing Netflix more and dropping their cable subscriptions. Granted, this argument holds water but not at the doomsayer levels that people speak of. Cable is on the decline because it is a dinosaur. It is disgustingly overpriced (e.g. Cost of operations vs cost it is sold at has a ridiculously huge disparity) and Netflix is cheap, utilizes smart technology (content distribution networks, etc). to help propagate itself over standard Internet. It does not require the use (but can very damn well utilize!) the standard cab/co trees that exist. Now... This does not mean this is a bad thing necessarily (getting to the part where what the doomsayers are saying is actually retarded). You're telling me that regular IPTV shit is on the decline and soaking up less bandwidth, but the cab/co trees are being used anyways to distribute Internet to end-users? Where's the fucking problem? Now... Take a step back and think of the same thing with regards to regulation. All bits are equal. Meaning that bandwidth is bandwidth is bandwidth. That is a good thing. You think that the cable companies trying to stifle cab/co trees by forcing users to stick with IPTV would actually not raise the price? If the regulation were removed? How the fuck do you think you're going to accomplish something like this on a grand scale? This isn't some piddly packeteering bullshit you're talking about. New equipment and systems to hawk-eye that shit. Who pays? You.

2 . "and quality". Nope. Horseshit. This has nothing to do with regulation in the slightest. The need for more realtime bandwidth always increases over time. Top-tier backbone providers and their peers will need to upgrade their infrastructure. Fact of the industry.

Have a good one.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-17 14:55:29

At 7/12/17 10:59 AM, Kajenx wrote: This whole thing is why I call BS on conservatives when they say regulation is bad for small business and the economy. The truth is that large corporations are bad for small business and the economy, and they need to be regulated so they don't develop a stranglehold on the important aspects of our lives. We need less idealism in government and more common sense...

This is only partially true. Yes regulations are good to keep large business under control however it really makes building a small business harder, i have several family friends and family members who gave up on owning their own business because of all the regulations, and the cost of entering a market now a-days is insane, most people can't even afford all the regulation fee's, as well as all their material costs and spacing payments. Regulations can be good for larger business control but are bad for starters

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-07-28 14:43:50

well i mean at least the UKain't getting screwed over

Signed a lot of petitions a few years back when this was a thing, but the war's still raging huh...

At 7/12/17 02:34 PM, KieranMaster10 wrote: does the internet have a central server where internet providers buy internet and then charge people for it? Also the internt is a public service it should be uncensored and unfiltered

It all goes via cables, so as far as I understand it there are a bunch of O&M companies that own/build those, and sell the bandwidth onto ISP's or other hosts/large companies, who then sell it on to regular customers. Also agreed.

At 7/12/17 01:16 PM, DraxoBox wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to become your own Internet Service Provider...

Yeah, you just have to get big enough. Google are pretty much running their own cables at this point.

At 7/12/17 01:31 PM, Dragamex wrote: I wonder about the costs and logistics of sending up a couple of privately-funded satellites, sort of like the old Pirate Radio days... but with slow-ass internet.

Why not fast-ass internet?! Sounds like a good plan. SpaceX are planning to really cheapen the cost for casting a satellite into orbit soon, though just hope those satellites get used for the right things...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

At 7/14/17 12:53 AM, demon1000 wrote: 01010111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010010 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01110100 01110010 01101001 01101011 01100101 00101110 00101110 00101110 00001010...

Poetic binary cipher! :D Nice.

At 7/16/17 04:31 PM, DoodlingHitman wrote: Wait, so this only affects the US? I live in Europe, but how does that work?

Everything that affects anyone in the world could affect the whole world at some point, so always great being proactive in these cases IMO. I hope we never get any similar scheme in Sweden, but who knows, recently they've been working on legislation that'll let companies here sue the government if they do anything that might seriously influence their profit. :/ So this whole net neutrality thing sounds like a great deal.

At 7/17/17 02:58 AM, CommonOddity wrote: Some food for thought

Really educational read! Thanks for writing.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-11-08 13:46:24

At 7/12/17 01:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ya know that's a good question... Staff has always been a brighter white, maybe we should ditch that when the forums move to the new layout. Or make it... a supporter feature...

Custom font color for Supporters? :P I really like how it's been so far with only the authoritative posts standing out though. Not too much, just enough to seem 'sharper'.

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-11-08 17:05:56

At 11/8/17 01:42 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 7/14/17 12:53 AM, demon1000 wrote: 01010111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010010 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01110100 01110010 01101001 01101011 01100101 00101110 00101110 00101110 00001010...
Poetic binary cipher! :D Nice.

Everything that affects anyone in the world could affect the whole world at some point, so always great being proactive in these cases IMO. I hope we never get any similar scheme in Sweden, but who knows, recently they've been working on legislation that'll let companies here sue the government if they do anything that might seriously influence their profit. :/ So this whole net neutrality thing sounds like a great deal.

At 7/17/17 02:58 AM, CommonOddity wrote: Some food for thought
Really educational read! Thanks for writing.

Well, the problem is that about 2/3 of the world's internet is routed via the U.S. (I forgot the major hub. It's in San Fran, or LA or some shit like that... I used to have a nice map outlining this but I don't know where the fuck I put it). Therefore the traffic that traverses a certain region with certain laws is privvy to those laws. This is a rare occurrence generally in the Internet space but because of the shitcunts in the U.S. trying to break down net neutrality, they're also trying to re-define what x means. In this case 'originating data' that traverses a wire. It's like saying that a package containing something illegal will remain illegal while traversing a region that has a law against its contents, rather than worrying about the source and destination.

In a nutshell they're just being faggots and using VERY poor logic in garbage PR moves while silently greasing the wheel to try and jerk off the corporate shitcunts that are lining their pockets (Anyone think Ajit Pai was here for the public? I bet that stupid piece of shit is STILL paid off with handjobs and a shitload of money. What a fuckbag. Seriously. He's the "kill yourself" version of cancerous lawyers that shit on our lives... He's akin to the faggots from Monsanto.)

At 11/8/17 05:05 PM, CommonOddity wrote: Well, the problem is that about 2/3 of the world's internet is routed via the U.S. (I forgot the major hub. It's in San Fran, or LA or some shit like that... I used to have a nice map outlining this but I don't know where the fuck I put it). Therefore the traffic that traverses a certain region with certain laws is privvy to those laws. This is a rare occurrence generally in the Internet space but because of the shitcunts in the U.S. trying to break down net neutrality, they're also trying to re-define what x means. In this case 'originating data' that traverses a wire. It's like saying that a package containing something illegal will remain illegal while traversing a region that has a law against its contents, rather than worrying about the source and destination.

In a nutshell they're just being faggots and using VERY poor logic in garbage PR moves while silently greasing the wheel to try and jerk off the corporate shitcunts that are lining their pockets (Anyone think Ajit Pai was here for the public? I bet that stupid piece of shit is STILL paid off with handjobs and a shitload of money. What a fuckbag. Seriously. He's the "kill yourself" version of cancerous lawyers that shit on our lives... He's akin to the faggots from Monsanto.)

So it really does affect us all that way huh, that is a bit of a problem! The US do keep reaching out of their jurisdiction all too often with regards to Internet-related crimes, chasing file-hosting companies in other countries, having people extradited back into the US - even if they've never even been there in the first place... I'm thinking of the ongoing Kim DotCom case in particular. Scary place... but all that's the government at least, not the providers as with this issue. I guess FaceBook's plans to start their own free ISP that provides free Internet to all, but only allows access a select few sites (like their own) might have failed because of the Net Neutrality act btw? Might you happen to know about that?

Hmm, Monsanto, the one pure evil if there was such a thing....

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-11-23 21:56:26

Concerned European here. The least I could do was donate so I did. Is this the 4th time they've tried to pull this shit? Keep your head above water US friends!

BBS Signature

That mini heart attack you get when your favorite site isn't loading properly because you thought Ajit Pai from FCC finally killed Net Neutrality, but then you realize your wifi is just crap.

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-12-13 11:00:19

Grood

May the power of arts be with us all!

Net neutrality is bad and especially since with it if a server wants a benefit so slowing down Netflix, or Hulu, or YouTube would benefit them but it’s cruel since lots of people love the internet to use all of those apps(Netflix,hulu,YouTube)
It would feel unfair to them and then the server slowing down the Netflix on the internet would lose money and that server benefited would become greedy and then would want to keep on doing it but it affects others Too, that server could wait it would make sense if no one watched Netflix or YouTube or Hulu but we do sometimes so it won’t make sense to besides that server doesn’t need any benefits they want it and net neutrality doesn’t fix or help anything all it will do is ruin our or their lives and no benefit ever comes out of net neutrality so that’s why I think net neutrality is bad

Holidays are amazing

BBS Signature

Response to Net Neutrality Day of Action 2017-12-19 15:14:36

Ok nevermind then I thought net neutrality was bad

Holidays are amazing

BBS Signature