00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sound packs / Sample packs Usage

23,384 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-04-21 20:04:33

This song is almost exclusively based around Apple Loops from Garageband.

I know it got grandfathered in, but because it's so iconic and made by the creator of a legendary Newgrounds series, it kind of gives beginner musicians a bad lesson on sample pack/loop usage around here, don't you think?

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-04-22 13:34:47

At 4/18/24 09:34 PM, YendorNG wrote: I feel very stymied about the use of vocal shots/rap samples. I come from a generation of Kandi-Kids and Hardcore / Hardstyle-heads that really enjoyed those samples of the past that made for a memorable track. There is only so much I can do chopping up, or doubling Amen-break loops before it gets way overused in the transitions stages of these types of songs. Do I really need to clear every single sample now to achieve that level of familiarity?

If you use royalty free samples, you never have to worry about sample clearance. And the amen break never goes out of style imo. I've been listening to and loving amens for over 20 years. That's more than 1/3 my life at this point.

Anyway regarding clearance, yes it's probably necessary for commercial release unless you want to get sued over rights once it makes enough money or at bare minimum your song taken down from NG. If no one recognizes the sample you can skate by, but you are relying on the song not popping off at that point.

You don't have to worry about clearance if you don't care to make money on your songs and just post them to yt or sc to show you your skills. YT will just transfer the ad money to the rights holder in most cases. BUT they can take down your channel if they so desire, so that's an issue too. Generally that doesn't happen tho.

You can make some pretty fire tracks with royalty free samps. Search around! If you need samps, I got hundreds of gazillions over on my page/sig. I write a monthly music mag for the purposes.

Any other rights related questions or major annoyances?

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature