00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

extradoodley just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What are you reading?

1,602 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've taken up an affinity for books for a good while now and I find it to be very therapeutic to silence all distractions and just focus on reading. I have a wide variety of books in my room spanning from plain literature to music theory to art books. I wonder: What are you guys reading?

Some of the books I've been and currently indulge in are these:

'Light for Visual Artists' by Richard Yot - [Light's effect on life and art]

'Naked Statues, Fat Gladiators, and War Elephants' by Garret Ryan (Toldinstone) - [Greek & Roman History/Mythology]

'Atomic Habits' by James Clear - [Building productive life habits]

'Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East' by Dennis Paulson - [Field guide for Odonates]

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-18 09:38:27

At 10/18/23 08:55 AM, 9Hammer wrote: I've taken up an affinity for books for a good while now and I find it to be very therapeutic to silence all distractions and just focus on reading. I have a wide variety of books in my room spanning from plain literature to music theory to art books. I wonder: What are you guys reading?

'Naked Statues, Fat Gladiators, and War Elephants' by Garret Ryan (Toldinstone) - [Greek & Roman History/Mythology]

'Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East' by Dennis Paulson - [Field guide for Odonates]

I love reading tales about heroes and knights!! I want to read something new in Faerun - like, there is a new book about Drizzt the hero drow... I'm excited to get to it!!

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-18 09:50:15

At 10/18/23 09:38 AM, Roksim wrote:
At 10/18/23 08:55 AM, 9Hammer wrote: I've taken up an affinity for books for a good while now and I find it to be very therapeutic to silence all distractions and just focus on reading. I have a wide variety of books in my room spanning from plain literature to music theory to art books. I wonder: What are you guys reading?

I love reading tales about heroes and knights!! I want to read something new in Faerun - like, there is a new book about Drizzt the hero drow... I'm excited to get to it!!

That sounds interesting a read for heroic ventures there. Hope you enjoy the book whenever you get to it! I should read books of that nature too when I get the chance.

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-18 10:09:30

I'm re reading Games Criminals Play: How You Can Profit by Knowing Them

it's about the tactics inmates use to blackmail new prison guards into doing illegal stuff

as a teenager when I read this I believed every word, but now I can see that they can't be true, some of these "case studies" they talk about sound like stuff The Joker would come up with and are really just cautionary tales that get passed around in prisons

it is entertaining tho

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-18 18:17:11

Currently reading chainsaw man manga, listening to the rick Rubin creative act of living and reading book on basics of psychology

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-18 20:36:19

I've been currently reading The Book of Five Rings by MIyamoto Musashi

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-20 01:02:57

1984 by George Orwell currently

the last book I read was Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

this year I've also read (among others) Blood Meridian, American Psycho, and a few Lovecraft stories

At 10/18/23 10:09 AM, orbitz wrote: I'm re reading Games Criminals Play: How You Can Profit by Knowing Them

it's about the tactics inmates use to blackmail new prison guards into doing illegal stuff

as a teenager when I read this I believed every word, but now I can see that they can't be true, some of these "case studies" they talk about sound like stuff The Joker would come up with and are really just cautionary tales that get passed around in prisons

it is entertaining tho

sounds cool

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-21 21:38:51

I've been doing a lot more reading on my lunch break instead of scrolling on my phone

So far I've read through:

The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

Almost done with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Got a collection of Mark Twain books a while ago so I'll probably read Huckleberry Finn after that and maybe a few others before moving to a different thing

I guess it doesn't count as "reading" exactly but I've also used audible to get through some stuff. Mainly The Hobbit, Fellowship and halfway through Two Towers atm. Also listened to The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo, it was really nice

Response to What are you reading? 2023-10-21 21:55:15

Snowcrash

Reading Art of War on the side.

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-01 19:32:50

Frank Herbert's Dune.

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-06 17:56:12

A short story collection by Yukio Mishima.

im a chickenwing extremist

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-06 23:42:34 (edited 2023-11-06 23:44:29)

Currently reading Gerald Durrel "My family and other animals". Also re-reading a Japanese poetry collection book.

Edit: also in progress of some mangas like Shingeki no Kyoujin, Seven deadly sins, OnePunchMan. I know I can read them online but I just like buying me some books and they are slow to come to the town I live in

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-09 17:57:00 (edited 2023-11-09 17:58:50)

so i have quite a knack for books as of late, some of the series and books ive read or currently reading are

"Marley & Me" by John Grogan

"Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard" by Rick Riordan

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney

"Deltora Quest" by Emily Rodda

i would be reading Lord of the Rings as well but i had no luck in finding it at my local library.

i need to update my signature image

i draw

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-09 19:54:15

I have been reading some books for the Reading Challenge here.

Currently, I'm reading the fantasy book Mistborn: The Final Empire and a psych book about asexuality.

Probably going to listen the audiobook for Interview With The Vampire by the end of the month.

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-13 10:49:29 (edited 2023-11-13 10:49:42)

At 11/9/23 07:54 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote: I have been reading some books for the Reading Challenge here.

Currently, I'm reading the fantasy book Mistborn: The Final Empire and a psych book about asexuality.

Probably going to listen the audiobook for Interview With The Vampire by the end of the month.

Dude! Mistborn is SO GOOD! Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author by far. Once you finish that series you have got to check out The Stormlight Archives.

...Which is what I'm reading! I'm on book four currently so I can't spoil anything...

But if you like big swords that can be summoned and can cut any material and think creatures that physically embody emotions are cool, then check it out!

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-13 11:46:22

At 11/13/23 10:49 AM, DetiousMusic wrote:
At 11/9/23 07:54 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote: I have been reading some books for the Reading Challenge here.

Dude! Mistborn is SO GOOD! Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author by far. Once you finish that series you have got to check out The Stormlight Archives.

...Which is what I'm reading! I'm on book four currently so I can't spoil anything...

But if you like big swords that can be summoned and can cut any material and think creatures that physically embody emotions are cool, then check it out!

Yeah, Sanderson is an awesome writer. When it comes to epic scenes, worldbuilding and mindblowing endings - he is just on unreachable level. Mistborn ending is just OMG, it made me literally cry

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-13 11:49:37

At 11/13/23 11:46 AM, Remi-le-Oduen wrote:

Yeah, Sanderson is an awesome writer. When it comes to epic scenes, worldbuilding and mindblowing endings - he is just on unreachable level. Mistborn ending is just OMG, it made me literally cry

You finished Hero of ages? Yeah it was definitely a bittersweet ending for me but I really loved it. But I agree, the way he builds worlds and magic systems and how it interacts with everything is just sceond to none. I can't even count how many times Storm Archives made me ball hahaha

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-11-13 16:38:14

Oh, I already finished the first 2 books of the Stormlight Archive. I also got lucky and read Warbreaker before starting Book 2 without seeing any spoilers.

Will definitely read Oathbringer in 2024.

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-01 12:47:58

My old Original stories made by me

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-05 21:42:23

Something I have never liked doing - reading written fan fiction, but I felt person writing those needed someone to be that one or one of very few readers. So I have postponed my morning coffee side gaming sessions and read short stories of a fan fic writer instead. Some are quite funny.

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-07 18:48:00

Boko no pico

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-10 19:48:32

I've been trying to indulge in more authors that are already supposedly popular that I completely missed the mark on. I find myself way more wrapped up in my own writing than reading others and its something I've been working to fix- because truthfully exposing yourself to the work of others is how inspiration comes. Basically broadening my horizons.

• HP Lovecraft's 'The Whisperer in the Darkness'
  • Harlan Ellison's 'I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream'
  • Clive Barker's 'The Hellbound Heart'
  • Linda Mota's 'Mavathatos'

If memory serves, Linda Mota is a NewGrounder, I just haven't had the chance to read their book in one sitting, looking at it on my shelf now actually.

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-11 21:12:27

I don't really read

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-11 21:49:24

I'm currently reading "An Unexpected party", it's a collection of queer short stories that has heaps of representation of queer people that aren't as often represented compared gay men and lesbians (no offence to my fellow girl kissers) and people new to writing. I enjoy all the stories so far and haven't skipped any. There's space lesbians in one of the stories oh my gbakbkaxkafbkafkbwbdiiab.

I recommend this to anybody who enjoys fantastic elements in their stores and people who are looking to be represented.

I love art and drawings!!!!!!!!

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-14 17:18:26

I haven’t been reading anything too interesting lately, but one book I’ve read a little while ago and just absolutely loved is

”He Died with a Felafel in his Hand” by John Birmingham.

It’s a collection of multiple stories of the author’s experiences with share-housing in 90s Australia. So many ridiculous things happen, I often forgot that they were all true stories.

Things like having goth roommates that performed rituals with a real goat head, lots of junkies doing stupid shit, a guy who would sit out on the lawn butt-naked at night to get a “moon tan”, a guy who overdosed on drugs and died while holding a felafel (hence the title) and so much more.

It’s so funny and very Australian. I loved reading it.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-22 01:30:20

I have quite a few books in my collection with like 50% of them not finished reading lol

The one I am currently focused on reading are three things:

- The Technological Society (by Jacques Ellul), basically a book about the relation between machines and humans have become obsolete and it is an interesting book from what I have heard, only started like for a few first pages and I am liking it so far.

- Ultimate Survival Guide (by Peter Beil), its basically what it says in the title, a book for the worst case scenarios and how to deal with those scenarios from tips, equipment etc. It is pretty helpful if you wanna live in the countryside or off grid. It is a very VERY difficult challenge to live off grid but if you can pull it off, then you can accomplish the impossible. Only started reading the first few pages, kinda forgot about it then going back to reading it again someday.

- History of Serbs (by Vladimir Ćorović) People of the balkans have a pretty complicated long history with a lot of your usual day of war crimes, backstabs, world wars etc. But it is interesting to know the history of other cultures and I find them more fascinating than U.S history for example. This book is long as hell, I'm talking 700+ pages long. Haven't began reading it but I will consider doing it, if I do have the time and energy to read it (the whole book is in Serbian and since I am able to read and speak Serbian, it won't be a challenge)

Response to What are you reading? 2023-12-26 22:19:05

It's been eons since I read something worthwhile..

Mmh, maybe I should read anatomy books, how to read music and psychology..

Just for the goal of getting better.

I used to be a bassist by the way, but never read any tabs.

I played in a band by learning with my ears..

So yeah, maybe I should learn music as a whole.

ZombieGhost

Response to What are you reading? 2024-01-17 17:18:54

Currently I'm reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac

Before this, I read "My year of Rest and Relaxation" "Catcher in the Rye" and "Fear and Loathing in las vegas."

Looking for stuff that's adjacent to my current project, so I also have "Less than Zero" on my list.

Response to What are you reading? 2024-01-17 19:19:25

Right now, i'm reading... this thread

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to What are you reading? 2024-01-18 12:38:11

Maybe I am a few years late to this, but I am attempting to read Homestuck. 8000+ pages is going to be a rough trip though.

BBS Signature