00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GaboRabo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

character tropes that you like?

1,021 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

character tropes that you like? 2023-11-22 18:59:51

specifically tropes in movies or tv that you like seeing. for example, i like a good underdog character like kogoro mori from detective conan or yamcha from dragon ball. both are inherently losers but occasionally have an episode or moment where their true abilities can shine and creates a very satisfying moment for their characters. im curious if there are any other tropes that people actually like seeing as it seems people only talk about tropes that they dislike/ are tired of seeing.

.Tropes as in story progression rather than stereotypes. How about the charas that know what they want and every action they do is explainable as trying to accomplish their wants? It's relatably frustrating when an episode disallows the chara to work towards what they want, and instead engages shallow dialogue and filler activities

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-25 11:23:39

When villains win - especially more annoying the protagonist is, more I want villains to win.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-25 15:35:17

Honestly its more of a plot trope than it is a character trope but I feel like it does say something about the villain's character when it happens. I find it really entertaining when the main characters are walking into the in world equivalent of a starbucks or some really mundane location and then get jumpscared with the scary ass villain who is just there for some reason. Like in fiona and cake when they walk in on the actual litch just sitting in some random dimension.

Failure!

When the protagonist encounters problems stronger than they can deal with or makes reasonable mistakes. When we know the story isn't going to conspire for them, we get to hold our breath and plead for their efforts to succeed.

When you can't expect a victory, you appreciate the ones you get.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-25 20:48:50

I dunno if this counts as a trope, but I do like when the wounds a character receives in a given moment are maintained in later appearances instead of just magically disappearing

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-25 21:14:16

I LOVE cowardly characters

You can surprisingly have a fair amount of diversity with the trope. You can have a backstabbing scumbag like Starscream, lovable goofs like Luigi, reluctant heroes like Courage, etc.

It's a very relatable trait for a character to have as their defining flaw and I like the different ways them dealing with that flaw can build on their story

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-25 23:11:52

One trope(?) for characters that isn't actually done much to my knowledge, but is extremely funny to watch most of the time is probably the "News Anchor" type. Prime examples i have are Aviator form Mighty No. 9 and Chuck Charles from The Penguins of Madagascar.

Its honestly extremely entertaining seeing these type of characters go more wild with being apart of a News-type job than what most other cartoons do.

Drawing whatever Original Ideas i have on my mind! Most of the time, at least...

My Art Thread!

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 03:01:39

When Protagonist achieve what they want even the protagonist is evil

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 03:15:06

At 11/25/23 07:50 PM, 2CFox wrote: Failure!

When the protagonist encounters problems stronger than they can deal with or makes reasonable mistakes. When we know the story isn't going to conspire for them, we get to hold our breath and plead for their efforts to succeed.

When you can't expect a victory, you appreciate the ones you get.

Puss in Boots 2 is a perfect example of this.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

At 11/22/23 06:59 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: i like a good underdog character

I Agree Thoses Are Characters I Root For I Love Seeing Characters Start At The Bottom Very Weak And Defenseless Then Harden To An Actual Awesome Character That Outshines The Main Character(s) Its Such An Awesome Turn In Events And I Wish I Knew More Media That Encompasses This Trait

I Also Like Villians That Are Very Reasonable And Likeable Very Rarely Do I Like A Villian I Truely Hate But Its Possible I Also Like Sympathiseing With Anti Heros Or Villians As It Makes There Ultimate Demise That Much More Empathetic

Another Character Trait I Like Is Realistic Characters That Show Obvious Weakness And Are Not Just Undamageable I Like Grounded Series Were Anything Is Possible And Nothing Is Predictable So You Desperately Want To See More

Exhibit: Cowboy Bebop

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 09:47:53

I love seeing a scrappy dude who wants to solve all his problems by decking the shit out of people, constantly getting put into positions where he needs to carefully think things through, and then after he solves the puzzle he decks the shit out of the antagonist.

I love an ensemble cast of villains who each represent a character flaw that the protag needs to surmount in order to become a better person.

As for more character stereotype-y tropes:

• Large gruff biker dude who's actually a softie
  • Girl who dresses in dark colors but is actually bubbly and cheery
  • Campy goofball villain who's actually a genuine threat
  • Thuggish looking dude who's actually eloquent (but will still cap yo ass if you mess around)
  • Other characters that fall under that Subversion 101 umbrella

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 12:15:49

A villain who is basically like a nekketsu protagonist pushed to the extreme. Someone with a dream that they'd do anything for, and "anything" happens to include betrayal, murder, and other horrible things, making them a terrible villain. I'm not talking about the Magneto or Killmonger type, who act -or believe they act- for a greater good. I'm thinking more villains that act for their personal ambitions. They sacrifice others for their sake, and are therefore obviously selfish and evil, and not in a grey zone, but still... You understand. And in a weird, twisted way, you respect their ambition. I'm not gonna name examples, because the best examples are often twist villains, or characters who slowly turn into villains and I wouldn't want to spoil, but there's a pretty famous one in a really famous manga, among other things.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 13:02:35

Has to be the "Bad guy with a sad backstory turned into a good guy by the end" trope. Those are always really sad but also really interesting to me mostly on a character development standpoint. I instantly think of someone like Simon/Ice king from adventure time or Goob/Bowler hat guy from Meet the Robinsons. Those are always really fun and interesting to examine in depth and from what I've seen they're usually executed really well.

Ayo, my name is Dorfde. I do things on the internet.

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 20:00:43

At 11/26/23 07:46 AM, ethanblair wrote:
At 11/22/23 06:59 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: i like a good underdog character
I Agree Thoses Are Characters I Root For I Love Seeing Characters Start At The Bottom Very Weak And Defenseless Then Harden To An Actual Awesome Character That Outshines The Main Character(s) Its Such An Awesome Turn In Events And I Wish I Knew More Media That Encompasses This Trait

I Also Like Villians That Are Very Reasonable And Likeable Very Rarely Do I Like A Villian I Truely Hate But Its Possible I Also Like Sympathiseing With Anti Heros Or Villians As It Makes There Ultimate Demise That Much More Empathetic

Another Character Trait I Like Is Realistic Characters That Show Obvious Weakness And Are Not Just Undamageable I Like Grounded Series Were Anything Is Possible And Nothing Is Predictable So You Desperately Want To See More

Exhibit: Cowboy Bebop

the sympathetic villain archetype was nice for a while with characters like general grievous benefiting from that re-characterization during the old days of the star wars expanded universe. i think its run its course now though as every lazy writer in hollywood that tries oh so hard to be subversive falls back on this because its become such an easy way to pull the rug out from under the audience. it honestly made me realize that my favorite villains in any media are the ones that are objectively evil and bad/revel in being evil like the emperor or just about any james cameron villain. obviously not all sympathetic villains are bad but i cant help but groan when it comes up.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 20:43:26

I love characters that are just complete dickheads. Self-centered, uncaring, brutally honest, it's so entertaining and funny. Characters like Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time are a good example of this (she shows some compassion sometimes, which is good, but I find her funniest when she's just being a jerk).

I also love characters that are super chill and laidback about everything. Even if their world was literally ending, they'd just be chilling on a couch watching TV or something.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 20:52:34

At 11/26/23 08:43 PM, MondoBilby wrote: I love characters that are just complete dickheads. Self-centered, uncaring, brutally honest, it's so entertaining and funny. Characters like Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time are a good example of this (she shows some compassion sometimes, which is good, but I find her funniest when she's just being a jerk).
I also love characters that are super chill and laidback about everything. Even if their world was literally ending, they'd just be chilling on a couch watching TV or something.

these types are another favorite of mine. i guess it would have some variation into the more cantankerous characters like mickey goldmill from the rocky series or khan from king of the hill. its also why i actually really like patty and selma from the simpsons because of their banter with homer and their general demeanor makes them really enjoyable to watch.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-26 21:33:08

i REALLY love weird, geeky nerdy girl characters ^^ they're so fun and i love how passionate they get into their interests and getting into crazy antics. i might be projecting but oh well. we need more of those in media :P

guh

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-27 01:35:57

I know it's a really trope-y anime trope but I really love scatterbrain girls with big responsibility and/or ambitions. I love something about characters that don't have the skills or the knowledge to achieve what they want, but that doesn't stop them from trying harder than anyone else. I like when they leave an impression on more standoffish characters and eventually turn rivals into friends, I like when they solve problems in obtuse or unexpected ways that circumvent their shortcomings, I like how their biggest strength is just how open and emotionally vulnerable they are.

That's Akko from Little Witch Academia, Hisone from Dragon Pilot, Mitsumi from Skip and Loafer, that kind of character.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-27 01:44:52

At 11/27/23 01:35 AM, Skoops wrote: I know it's a really trope-y anime trope but I really love scatterbrain girls with big responsibility and/or ambitions. I love something about characters that don't have the skills or the knowledge to achieve what they want, but that doesn't stop them from trying harder than anyone else. I like when they leave an impression on more standoffish characters and eventually turn rivals into friends, I like when they solve problems in obtuse or unexpected ways that circumvent their shortcomings, I like how their biggest strength is just how open and emotionally vulnerable they are.

That's Akko from Little Witch Academia, Hisone from Dragon Pilot, Mitsumi from Skip and Loafer, that kind of character.

i think the best example is kiki from kikis delivery service or fio from porco rosso. both are relatable in that sense where theyre in over their heads but they keep pushing forward in pursuit of their passion. i also bring these examples up cus i saw those movies recently and noticed that similarity in their personalities

I tend to like the rise and fall of a character with power. Like Scarface. Or particularly having characters not wearing plot armor at all.

Play my game ROC COMMANDER

ROC COMMANDER

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-11-27 02:17:56

At 11/27/23 01:44 AM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote:
At 11/27/23 01:35 AM, Skoops wrote: I know it's a really trope-y anime trope but I really love scatterbrain girls with big responsibility and/or ambitions. I love something about characters that don't have the skills or the knowledge to achieve what they want, but that doesn't stop them from trying harder than anyone else. I like when they leave an impression on more standoffish characters and eventually turn rivals into friends, I like when they solve problems in obtuse or unexpected ways that circumvent their shortcomings, I like how their biggest strength is just how open and emotionally vulnerable they are.

i think the best example is kiki from kikis delivery service or fio from porco rosso. both are relatable in that sense where theyre in over their heads but they keep pushing forward in pursuit of their passion. i also bring these examples up cus i saw those movies recently and noticed that similarity in their personalities

Studio Ghibli definitely likes a scrappy female lead. Kiki's a great example; the premise is almost too much, like I don't know who the hell thought sending 13 year olds out into the world was a good idea, but that's obviously a recipe for a lot of rude awakenings and lessons from failure. She's a bit different from my examples because Miyazaki always gives his girls a sort of quiet dignity where they're capable of balancing introspection and reflection with doubts that can linger and take time to resolve. I really appreciate that, it's a realer and more intelligent take on the trope... but for some reason I gravitate most towards the dumb cartoony treatment where the character is a little too dense or headstrong to self reflect all that much without jumping to conclusions. I love a character that'd try to kick down a door before checking if it's locked.

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-12-11 21:18:53

At 11/22/23 06:59 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: specifically tropes in movies or tv that you like seeing. for example, i like a good underdog character like kogoro mori from detective conan or yamcha from dragon ball. both are inherently losers but occasionally have an episode or moment where their true abilities can shine and creates a very satisfying moment for their characters. im curious if there are any other tropes that people actually like seeing as it seems people only talk about tropes that they dislike/ are tired of seeing.

I feel the same way! My fave characters of that trope are George McFly from back to the future, and Koops from Paper Mario TTYD. Both are scrawny, wimpy guys who end up kickin complete ass by the end of their stories.

I also really love quiet, shy girl characters like Bernadetta from Fire emblem 3 houses, and vivian from paper mario ttyd. Probably just because they're my type tho lmao

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2023-12-13 18:22:31

A character who is equally silly and intelligent

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

At 11/22/23 06:59 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: specifically tropes in movies or tv that you like seeing. for example, i like a good underdog character like kogoro mori from detective conan or yamcha from dragon ball. both are inherently losers but occasionally have an episode or moment where their true abilities can shine and creates a very satisfying moment for their characters. im curious if there are any other tropes that people actually like seeing as it seems people only talk about tropes that they dislike/ are tired of seeing.

I always liked dorky characters. Like the character in my PFP. Reason why Alyx is my favorite half life character.

Either that or very unhinged gremlins... Like the character in my PFP

Ever had to knock on wood? 'Cuz I know someone who had.

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2024-02-13 13:11:33

I like characters who, while competent are not shown as super cool bad-ass' all the time, and are shown to get flustered or panicked when things get tough and are skilled yes, but also get by on quick thinking and maybe some luck. Jackie Chan I think is the best example I can think off, when things are not going well and he's shouting "Bad day bad day bad day" when nearly getting killed and while he's a very good marshal artist he never comes across as invincible.

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2024-02-13 13:48:05

At 2/13/24 01:11 PM, AmazingArsonist wrote: I like characters who, while competent are not shown as super cool bad-ass' all the time, and are shown to get flustered or panicked when things get tough and are skilled yes, but also get by on quick thinking and maybe some luck. Jackie Chan I think is the best example I can think off, when things are not going well and he's shouting "Bad day bad day bad day" when nearly getting killed and while he's a very good marshal artist he never comes across as invincible.

this is what sets his films above a lot of other action films, mainly more recent ones. his vulnerability during fights where hes always getting the short end of the stick and has to fight his way up is always so fun to watch

Response to character tropes that you like? 2024-02-14 13:40:00

I generally prefer heroic characters that doesn't put up with the villains bullshit Freudian excuse of the day and just put them out of their misery. Being sympathetic is one thing, but that shouldn't excuse the villainy. This is why I like Kenshiro and Saitama from One Punch Man more than most other heroes.

Speaking of hereoes, a have a soft spot for heroes (or anti-heroes) who aren't afraid to use strategy, wits or even hit below the belt (metaphorically or not) to win battles. Lelouch, John McClane and all the JoJos are masters at outwitting their enemies in various ways, theatrics included.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2024-03-15 09:43:33

cowardly characters and characters with dtory progression.

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to character tropes that you like? 2024-03-17 13:02:45

I love villains who are sympathetic or understandable, but still reject redemption.