00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LegendaryWolfeh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

OnceHere's Art Training Thread

797 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-15 04:29:17

At 4/12/24 10:11 AM, OnceHere wrote:
At 4/12/24 09:50 AM, OnceHere wrote:
At 4/11/24 10:40 AM, OnceHere wrote:
Don't know if I'm doing this right...
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/oncehere/morning

It's done!
After staring at it for a while, I don't think I managed to make it look the way I wanted it to...

I guess I can still be better

iu_1189645_19533977.webp

Updated it to look closer to what I really want

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-15 12:19:24

iu_1189765_19533977.webp

Testing my patience. Usually I end up scrapping bigger projects like this because I get bored. Let's see if I can get this one done.

I wasn't patient enough... I'll never get a commission sheet done if I continue being demotivated like this... Anyway I just made another thing hopefully this one can keep me motivated enough to finish it

iu_1191119_19533977.webp

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-18 04:54:57

At 4/18/24 02:32 AM, OnceHere wrote: I wasn't patient enough... I'll never get a commission sheet done if I continue being demotivated like this... Anyway I just made another thing hopefully this one can keep me motivated enough to finish it

iu_1191172_19533977.webp

Improvement(?)

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-19 23:04:20

iu_1191978_19533977.webp

Getting there, going to be practicing water when I get to drawing those

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-20 04:09:54

At 4/19/24 11:04 PM, OnceHere wrote:
Getting there, going to be practicing water when I get to drawing those

Had another look at it, and it looks stiffer than the original sketch T^T

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-20 06:22:03

iu_1192085_19533977.webp

Minimalism practice

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-22 13:41:43

iu_1193279_19533977.webp

Efficiency training. This one took me around 2 hours. I could be faster, just have to get the process streamlined.

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-24 02:30:07

At 4/10/24 06:51 AM, Skoops wrote: You're doing pretty good if all you're doing is fingerpainting. Makes giving advice kinda tough though, since half of it's not going to apply until you use a pen or something pen-like.

For having something you can look at while you draw, thankfully anyone can make their own drapery reference. Hang a bedsheet or something like it , shine a light on it and go to town. That method has the added benefit of helping you understand how different-weighted materials fold and wrinkle differently since you'll literally be handling them yourself.

iu_1193973_19533977.webp

Drawing directly from a real life reference was more fun than I initially thought. It still feels like cheating considering how this one would have taken me 3x longer to draw if it was from imagination/ indirect reference. It's a bad mentality that I've been trying to get rid of for a while now and I think I'm finally making a decent progress now.

Maybe I'll try making an actual drawing from real life next time...

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-24 04:57:43

At 4/24/24 02:30 AM, OnceHere wrote:
At 4/10/24 06:51 AM, Skoops wrote: You're doing pretty good if all you're doing is fingerpainting. Makes giving advice kinda tough though, since half of it's not going to apply until you use a pen or something pen-like.

For having something you can look at while you draw, thankfully anyone can make their own drapery reference. Hang a bedsheet or something like it , shine a light on it and go to town. That method has the added benefit of helping you understand how different-weighted materials fold and wrinkle differently since you'll literally be handling them yourself.
Drawing directly from a real life reference was more fun than I initially thought. It still feels like cheating considering how this one would have taken me 3x longer to draw if it was from imagination/ indirect reference. It's a bad mentality that I've been trying to get rid of for a while now and I think I'm finally making a decent progress now.

Eyy, good job!

It's crazy how often I see folks feeling guilty about using refs. It's definitely not cheating, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's gonna feel a lot easier to use refs because this stuff isn't ingrained in your visual library yet. It goes Observation->Replication->Retention->Improvisation, in that order. That's why going straight to Improvisation feels so much more difficult.

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-24 06:58:48

At 4/24/24 04:57 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/24/24 02:30 AM, OnceHere wrote:

Eyy, good job!

It's crazy how often I see folks feeling guilty about using refs. It's definitely not cheating, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's gonna feel a lot easier to use refs because this stuff isn't ingrained in your visual library yet. It goes Observation->Replication->Retention->Improvisation, in that order. That's why going straight to Improvisation feels so much more difficult.

Watching speedpaints without proper art knowledge when I was younger warped my perception of the process I think. Also dumb YT algorithm recommending me art drama videos and me watching them instead of proper tutorials. Only in my late teens did I realize how it was starting to degrade my values regarding art. Luckily I was still focused enough on improving my own skills despite my bad habits/mentality. Kinda sad that I could have been a better artist today had I known the pitfalls that I would encounter. But I guess I'm still relatively young and still has more time to improve. At least I'm aware of them now...

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-04-26 11:26:53

iu_1194898_19533977.webp

Getting back to making detailed black and white drawings. These ones are always fun.

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-05-01 07:26:21

iu_1197094_19533977.webp

The result of everything I've learned so far. Made in around 4 hours, I'm happy.

Response to OnceHere's Art Training Thread 2024-05-01 10:22:12

At 5/1/24 07:26 AM, OnceHere wrote:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/oncehere/anastasia

The result of everything I've learned so far. Made in around 4 hours, I'm happy.

Okay, after a bit of staring again, the unevenness of the face is bothering me. It's my first time drawing a face with a more "realistic" proportion. I'm still happy about how the drawing looks overall, but I'll be going back to practicing faces next time.

I don't really like how real-life faces look, but I just have to bear with it until I can warp them into very pretty dolls with confidence. I had fun with clothes, it's about time I focus on making real pretty faces.

...or maybe I can find a way to skip real faces altogether. Only the future me knows...