00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HopBrothers just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AIM 2024 Discussions Thread

802 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-22 01:27:40

At 4/21/24 10:33 PM, Czyszy wrote:
At 4/21/24 10:23 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 4/19/24 09:19 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 4/19/24 08:53 PM, Czyszy wrote:
Hmmm... I'm friends with an artist on NG who submits their art AND music. I'm thinking of using one of their drawings for inspiration and also have them add some musical content to my submission as a collaborator. Is it ok to collab on my entry with the person who created the inspiration artwork?
Yes, I will allow this. Just make sure to properly credit your collaborators.
@Czyszy Just wanted to clarify this a little further as a similar question was just asked in this thread. You and the artist may collaborate on the music once the art is submitted to the Art Portal, but you should not collaborate with each other on the art. It sounds like, from your question, you were only going to work with each other on the music, but I thought I'd make that more specific here.
Thank you. That actually leads me to another question!

There's an art piece in the art portal made by a friend of mine, inspired by an earlier piece drawn by me. I didn't publish that drawing, and I didn't ask the artist to make their interpretation of it, only shared it for fun (in a private conversation). I was actually surprised when I saw they make a fanart based on my work! :D But now the thing is, the NG submission of that re-draw/re-interpretation also includes my original piece the artist friend used for inspiration in the description, for context.

So if I were to use that for AIM, would the fact my drawing is not only the inspiration for that piece, but also visible on the art page, disqualify it?

Wow, that seems very niche - I'm not sure how many other people would be in that sort of situation. I would encourage participants of AIM to find works of art in the Art Portal that are not directly connected to them - the point is to be musically inspired, not to collaborate with artists to create two complementary mediums - but in this case, if you really want to use that art that was inspired by your art uninitiated, then yes I'd be okay with it.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-23 03:09:24

At 4/21/24 01:57 AM, Bosa wrote: I may participate this year! I haven't been a part of this contest in a long time, so this could be interesting. I just have to find some art that will inspire me!

There's something about AIM that entices the return of us cave-dwellers. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-23 18:07:32

At 4/19/24 02:33 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Hi everyone, this is the Discussions thread for the Art-Inspired Music Contest 2024! This is the place to ask questions, post comments, basically anything that isn't submissions-related. If you're looking to submit an entry, you'll want to use the submissions thread, which will be posted at the start of the submissions period.

THIS IS NOT THE START OF THE SUBMISSIONS PERIOD! Due to Newgrounds' forum system, both the submissions and the discussions thread cannot be created at the same time.

A link to the submissions thread will be added in a follow-up post once the contest officially starts, so stay tuned!

this is funny because I make music inspired art

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-03 21:12:17

A response to @V-Future 's post from the 2023 Discussions thread:

Can I use vocals from a sample library? It's like ethnic female vocals from India. I've made a whole song around these samples. Or do I have to hire a real singer to sing similar vocals?

If you're constructing a song around the samples, then that would not be allowed. Even outside of AIM, samples must be used in an original way per Audio Portal Guidelines. You can't just drop in a vocal sample and compose accompaniment around it, even if there is a bit of processing like just pitch correcting / changing tempo. But if you chopped up a small part of the sample and rearranged bits and pieces, that would be fine. Just make sure the samples you're using are not from a copyrighted song or other piece of media.

You should definitely attribute any vocals or samples you use in your Author Comments. If you are getting someone to just sing the same melody/composition as the vocal sample, it would not be allowed. However, if you get someone to sing your own original melodies in a similar style to the female vocals you wanted to use, that would be allowed. Just make sure the singer is performing your own composition.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-03 21:30:41

At 5/3/24 09:12 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote: A response to @V-Future 's post from the 2023 Discussions thread:

If you're constructing a song around the samples, then that would not be allowed. Even outside of AIM, samples must be used in an original way per Audio Portal Guidelines. You can't just drop in a vocal sample and compose accompaniment around it, even if there is a bit of processing like just pitch correcting / changing tempo. But if you chopped up a small part of the sample and rearranged bits and pieces, that would be fine. Just make sure the samples you're using are not from a copyrighted song or other piece of media.

You should definitely attribute any vocals or samples you use in your Author Comments. If you are getting someone to just sing the same melody/composition as the vocal sample, it would not be allowed. However, if you get someone to sing your own original melodies in a similar style to the female vocals you wanted to use, that would be allowed. Just make sure the singer is performing your own composition.

Can I send you the song via DM in order to check if what I'm doing is allowed? Because it's just vocalizations like a woman singing lalala in indian scales just in key points of the song.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-03 21:58:56

At 5/3/24 09:30 PM, V-Future wrote:
At 5/3/24 09:12 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote: A response to @V-Future 's post from the 2023 Discussions thread:

Can I send you the song via DM in order to check if what I'm doing is allowed? Because it's just vocalizations like a woman singing lalala in indian scales just in key points of the song.

Sure, go ahead and DM me the sample and your song.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-04 14:27:05

@BASCUTI Please do not use the submissions thread to moderate, especially for an entry that was actually fine. Adding "AIM" to your title is not a hard rule, so it does not need to be enforced on other participants.

@PapaDumTek You did not need to re-submit your entry in four separate new posts. If you miss adding AIM in the title or adding tags, you can just edit your audio page to add the text - no need to notify me of these changes nor do you need to make a new post submitting the entry again.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-04 14:58:11

At 5/4/24 02:27 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote: @BASCUTI Please do not use the submissions thread to moderate, especially for an entry that was actually fine. Adding "AIM" to your title is not a hard rule, so it does not need to be enforced on other participants.

@PapaDumTek You did not need to re-submit your entry in four separate new posts. If you miss adding AIM in the title or adding tags, you can just edit your audio page to add the text - no need to notify me of these changes nor do you need to make a new post submitting the entry again.

Oh shoot my bad, genuinely meant to post it here but i guess i put it in the submission thread instead, I'll ask a mod to take it down.

The irony of me accidentally breaking a rule while trying to tell someone else about them is magnificent lmao.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-04 16:20:25

At 5/4/24 02:58 PM, BASCUTI wrote:
At 5/4/24 02:27 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote: @BASCUTI Please do not use the submissions thread to moderate, especially for an entry that was actually fine. Adding "AIM" to your title is not a hard rule, so it does not need to be enforced on other participants.

Oh shoot my bad, genuinely meant to post it here but i guess i put it in the submission thread instead, I'll ask a mod to take it down.

I had also requested the posts for removal after my previous post.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-05-04 22:29:08

At 5/4/24 04:20 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 5/4/24 02:58 PM, BASCUTI wrote:

I had also requested the posts for removal after my previous post.

Looks like it's down, sorry about the trouble.