00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MicPix just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Play the Flash Forward Entries!

7,123 Views | 45 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Flash Forward

Yesterday was the deadline for Flash Forward 2024, you can now play all the games and interactive movies in the Flash Forward 2024 collection! It would be greatly appreciated if you voted on them and left reviews, to assist with the judging process.

Flash Forward is an annual event, inviting people to create new games and interactive movies with Flash. Flash was removed from browsers at the end of 2020 but we can still play Flash content in browsers thanks to Ruffle.

Ruffle is an open source Flash emulation project that is always in progress, with more classic Flash content being compatible each week. Support Ruffle if you’d like to help it along! I’ll note, the majority of NG’s support for Ruffle was done via the GitHub Sponsors system (the original sponsor option), which is why we unfortunately don’t show up in the Open Collective rankings; otherwise NG would be #1.

Check out the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew if you'd like to help test games on NG for Ruffle support!

The Future of Flash Forward

Adobe has made it nearly impossible for newcomers to run old versions of Flash, making AS2 development out of reach for most people moving forward. With Ruffle’s AS3 support continuing to improve, there should still be opportunities for newcomers in the years ahead. It would be great to see people continue to make new Flash games and interactive movies, like the demoscenes for ancient computers. Expect the next Flash Forward to kick off in early 2025!

Forum Thread Ratings

Last week we introduced Forum Thread Ratings.

April 24th Update: Ratings filters now apply to the Community page as well.

Pico Day

Pico Day is May 18th, with a big event here on the site, as well as two meetups!

May 17th - Pico Day NJ Meetup

May 18th - Dublin, Ireland Meetup

Other Events

April 25th - Happy Tree Friends Gijinka Collab deadline.

April 26th - Nintendo 64 Collab deadline.

May - Lowspec Jam 2 month-long game jam!

May 12th - Dragon Raid Art Collab deadline.

May 14th - KinitoPET Collab deadline.

May 15th - Sonic’s 33rd Art Collab deadline.

May 17th - Ghost Collab deadline.

May 18th - World Goth Day Collab deadline.

May 18th - Pico Day

May 20th - Kart Collab deadline.

May 24th - Pickle Collab deadline.

May 31st - Subspace Emissary Art Collab join deadline.

June - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event!

June 2nd - Dreamcast Collab extended deadline.

June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.

June 6th - Arcade Pixel Art Mockup Zone Collab deadline.

June 8th - OneyPlays Sonic Shorts deadline.

June 17th - Art Inspired Music Contest deadline.

June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 11th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.

July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

July 26th - NG Summer Smash Meetup in Wildwood, NJ.

October 12st - Brainrot Scam Ad Collab deadline.

November 1st - Nintendo DS Collab deadline.

If you missed it, check out the Best of March!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 10:17:24

flash will never die!

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

At 4/22/24 10:17 AM, BoiledMilkz wrote: flash will never die!

Flash will always die!

iu_1193162_9273743.png

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 10:38:57

Flash forever!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 10:39:30

I wasnt aware this was still going on

Otherwise I wouldve added my tetris clone with music in it

I didnt have the sense to check

Oh well maybe next year??!??!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 10:51:27

Now to play through the entries! Thank you everyone for participating another year!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 12:51:53

I'm really glad to be able to participate in my first jam on the site that made my childhood ^^

Monster World Web series

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 14:24:49

WOOO! Congrats to everyone who finished their games! Looking forward to playing them.

GO PLAY BIRD ON BIRD!!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 14:45:47

The stage is set, and the contestants are ready.

Good luck, everyone - competition is going to be stiff.

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 16:03:36

I had fun animating with Flash. After all, It's actually the biggest fun I've ever had since 2023

Hi, My name is Mebrouk Yessad! I'm 17 years old, I'm very similar to you! Did I mention to you that I'm furry?

Where else to find me!

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 16:16:49

Play Cottonball and get a score of 69 please and thank you.

[1] - [2]

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 16:18:45

ok who is conspiring against us come clean now

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 17:22:07

At 4/22/24 04:18 PM, Kolumbo wrote: ok who is conspiring against us come clean now

No conspiracy just been a busy front page this week, I popped it up there now!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 17:23:18

At 4/22/24 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/22/24 04:18 PM, Kolumbo wrote: ok who is conspiring against us come clean now

nooo tom im so sorry i was just joking i didnt mean to force my way on the fp

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 17:25:43

At 4/22/24 05:23 PM, Kolumbo wrote:
At 4/22/24 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
nooo tom im so sorry i was just joking i didnt mean to force my way on the fp

You were definitely heading there regardless, don't sweat it!

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 20:00:09

Some serious tight shit in here. GL everybody.

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 21:43:53

Good work everyone!

I'm particularly irritated that Adobe did what they did-- and now it furthers us away from what people come to this website for.The day will come where we can be in a position to fight back. Until then, everyone should hold on to their working copies of Flash. It will be handy.

Don't be strangers-- share knowledge.

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-22 22:20:26

I'd like to enter next year's honestly.

BBS Signature

At 4/22/24 09:43 PM, YendorNG wrote: Good work everyone!

I'm particularly irritated that Adobe did what they did-- and now it furthers us away from what people come to this website for.The day will come where we can be in a position to fight back. Until then, everyone should hold on to their working copies of Flash. It will be handy.

Don't be strangers-- share knowledge.

I still have my ancient copy of flash hacks , flashmx bible and friends of ED macromedia flash 5 books

on the bottom shelf. Most of the hacks were just clever ways to beat the frame rate by getting games to draw fewer sprites and other miscellaneous things but I havent read the entire book to be honest.

Most of the references within the book are dead, like the levis jean website they programmed iirc

Edit: I kinda regret missing out on that 2007-2009 period whenn flash games were at their peak and some were even being monetized and sponsored, but I had to move out of home for a bit, and I missed making flash movies and games for the longest time; it was the first thing I thought about when I unpacked my crap after moving; "Make a flash game".

Missing out on that period is probably a regret that is going to haunt me for quite sometime in the future :) haha. I might never get over it. The flash scene also isnt as nearly as clever as it used to be but it might return.

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 00:40:00

Adobe has made it nearly impossible for newcomers to run old versions of Flash, making AS2 development out of reach for most people moving forward.

They can pry my copy of flash from my cold dead hands!

Also, cograts to everyone who entered! :D

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 00:41:49

At 4/22/24 10:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: Flash Forward

Yesterday was the deadline for Flash Forward 2024, you can now play all the games and interactive movies in the Flash Forward 2024 collection! It would be greatly appreciated if you voted on them and left reviews, to assist with the judging process.

https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/flash-forward-2024

Flash Forward is an annual event, inviting people to create new games and interactive movies with Flash. Flash was removed from browsers at the end of 2020 but we can still play Flash content in browsers thanks to Ruffle.

Ruffle is an open source Flash emulation project that is always in progress, with more classic Flash content being compatible each week. Support Ruffle if you’d like to help it along! I’ll note, the majority of NG’s support for Ruffle was done via the GitHub Sponsors system (the original sponsor option), which is why we unfortunately don’t show up in the Open Collective rankings; otherwise NG would be #1.

Check out the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew if you'd like to help test games on NG for Ruffle support!

The Future of Flash Forward

Adobe has made it nearly impossible for newcomers to run old versions of Flash, making AS2 development out of reach for most people moving forward. With Ruffle’s AS3 support continuing to improve, there should still be opportunities for newcomers in the years ahead. It would be great to see people continue to make new Flash games and interactive movies, like the demoscenes for ancient computers. Expect the next Flash Forward to kick off in early 2025!

Forum Thread Ratings

Last week we introduced Forum Thread Ratings.

Pico Day

Pico Day is May 18th, with a big event here on the site, as well as two meetups!

May 17th - Pico Day NJ Meetup
May 18th - Dublin, Ireland Meetup

Other Events

April 25th - Happy Tree Friends Gijinka Collab deadline.
April 26th - Nintendo 64 Collab deadline.
April 30th - OneyPlays Sonic Shorts deadline.

May 5th - Pickle Collab deadline.
May 12th - Dragon Raid Art Collab deadline.
May 14th - KinitoPET Collab deadline.
May 15th - Sonic’s 33rd Art Collab deadline.
May 18th - World Goth Day Collab deadline.
May 18th - Pico Day

June - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event!
June 2nd - Dreamcast Collab extended deadline.
June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.
June 17th - Art Inspired Music Contest deadline.
June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 11th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.
July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

October 12st - Brainrot Scam Ad Collab deadline.

November 1st - Nintendo DS Collab deadline.

If you missed it, check out the Best of March!

What made me laugh was that some people actually believed that I created complex programs to demonstrate Flex, I just wanted to show what you can do but people still don't understand.

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 02:48:44

i dont wanna imply or suggest anything but ive HEARD you can find old flash versions in the archive of the internet WHATEVER THAT IS

dont make me say it you guys

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

It's charming to see people continue using Flash despite Adobe trying to remove many of their older versions. Even though I'm not planning to make any entries this year, i am forever grateful for the people who dedicated themselves to creating many of the Flash games that we all know and love for the past 20 years.

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 13:39:07

I have played some of them. Really cool entries this year!

sup

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 14:10:18

Awesome! Sorry I missed making anything this year. Fingers crossed for next year!

I did make a repo for handling events from a mobile device's movement/orientation/gyroscope and reading those into Ruffle which was all I could manage for the event this year:

Github Repo: https://github.com/pestoforce/RuffleTilt

Demo NG Project: https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/5573976/preview

Video:

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 14:14:44

At 4/23/24 02:10 PM, BoMToons wrote: Awesome! Sorry I missed making anything this year. Fingers crossed for next year!

I did make a repo for handling events from a mobile device's movement/orientation/gyroscope and reading those into Ruffle which was all I could manage for the event this year:

Video:

Your participation was sorely missed! However tilt controls in Ruffle is still quite swanky, I hope someone puts that to use if they haven’t already!

BBS Signature

At 4/23/24 02:14 PM, Dungeonation wrote:
At 4/23/24 02:10 PM, BoMToons wrote: Awesome! Sorry I missed making anything this year. Fingers crossed for next year!

Video:
Your participation was sorely missed! However tilt controls in Ruffle is still quite swanky, I hope someone puts that to use if they haven’t already!

Me too! If no one else does it, maybe @Luis and I will do a remake of Luis Launch!

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 14:46:09

Update: OneyPlays Sonic ends June 8th

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 15:12:39

At 4/23/24 02:19 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 4/23/24 02:14 PM, Dungeonation wrote:

Video:
Me too! If no one else does it, maybe @Luis and I will do a remake of Luis Launch!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/503361

Im happy in the end I sat out this year. It’s been stress free playing what people made!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Play the Flash Forward Entries! 2024-04-23 15:55:38

Hey Tom, the 2nd Lospec jam is happening next month, mind adding it to the calendar? https://jamestdg.newgrounds.com/news/post/1438983

BBS Signature