00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheClownmanPuggles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

120,667 Views | 1,309 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-15 15:14:53

At 5/13/17 06:22 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 4/30/17 10:46 AM, HerbieG wrote: Are the medals in this game still working? I scored enough to get 2 more of them, but they did not unlock.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/686301
Probably. I seem to remember that game requiring multiple runs to win medals. Like some runs you couldn't get any medals at all, and others were fine.

You probably just need to play it some more.

So this is a similar situation to the one you mentioned some time ago, I mean this game:

As you can see the 10 000 medal has been removed. The difference is that in the Road Closed nobody earned any medal for few months now, so the medals should be fixed or removed.

By the way, I just played an interesting game that you played recently... adjust your review! ;-)

I am certainly getting curious if there actually are any medals for finishing the 2nd and 3rd world.
By the way, the medal for completing world 1 in this game is a perfect example of an undervalued medal that should definitely be worth more than just 10 points. Lots of games just give the same for clicking on something.

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 08:19:04

At 5/15/17 03:14 PM, HerbieG wrote: So this is a similar situation to the one you mentioned some time ago, I mean this game:
As you can see the 10 000 medal has been removed. The difference is that in the Road Closed nobody earned any medal for few months now, so the medals should be fixed or removed.

Actually, not the same at all. In Bird Hop 2/Arise 2, no matter how many times I achieved the goal or in what browsers, or how much I cleared cache etc, it was literally never going to give the medal to me. Because apparently it checks high scores before giving you the medal, but if your high score was already above where it should have given you the medal, yet for some reason had not given you the medal, then it's impossible to get the medal. I PM'd game author, he checked, acknowledged this was the problem, and removed the medal, no thanks at all to a certain argumentative medal mod.

The reason this is not the case in Road Closed is you can still get those medals. Play the game and make sure it is doing the medal popups as you play because if it's not, then it's not going to award medals in that run, and if it is then it'll award any medals you earn in that run. I mean I just checked right now and it's still doing the medal popups, meaning it's still working. (If it's not doing medal popups for you in a run, keep refreshing until you get a run where it does work). This game was *always* like this and I (and I suspect everyone else) had to put up with this when we were obtaining the medals for it.

There were definitely medals I had to earn multiple times before they awarded in that game and I figured out you needed a run where you were getting the medal popups.

Broken medal is more like the medal isn't obtainable at all, not you just have to use workarounds to obtain it.

By the way, I just played an interesting game that you played recently... adjust your review! ;-)

You should be around Newgrounds long enough by now to know reviews are permanent and there's no such thing as "adjusting your review". Besides, if you mean number of people who have achieved that one medal, I did say at the time of the review in the review itself, so that's correct no matter how many people achieve it beyond that time.

The only thing incorrect in my review of Build a Snowman was I thought the game hadn't any major problems, but I was wrong in this. Because the game freezes once you clear world 2, so even if there were a medal for clearing world 2 you can't get it, and you can't ever play world 3, which would mean you also can't get a medal there, if there is one.

I am certainly getting curious if there actually are any medals for finishing the 2nd and 3rd world.
By the way, the medal for completing world 1 in this game is a perfect example of an undervalued medal that should definitely be worth more than just 10 points. Lots of games just give the same for clicking on something.

I would guess there probably are hidden medals for those (I don't like how Newgrounds auto-hides medals no one has after a time, by the way, unless they are broken). In this case they do happen to be broken though since after beating world 2, the game freezes the instant you do the final move.

Thus it's not possible to get a medal for world 2 or to even play world 3 at all, which explains why no one has those medals, in this case.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 10:31:50

At 5/16/17 08:19 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Because apparently it checks high scores before giving you the medal, but if your high score was already above where it should have given you the medal, yet for some reason had not given you the medal, then it's impossible to get the medal.

If the problem was with your high score, I could've easily removed it so you can attempt it again. The author shouldn't have removed a working medal just because it didn't work for you.
I spent an hour or so to confirm whether the medal is working or not, just to have it removed? because it wasn't working for you?
Did anyone else try? No.
I asked in my post ( here and here) for others to confirm it but no one did (only HerbieG 'who followed my first post' attempted the 5k medal and achieved it after a while.)
That medal was working until the 3rd user confirms otherwise.
Removing your high score never occurred to me until now. Maybe it would've fixed your problem (since it was only on your side and the medal was clearly working.)

Checking Aventuras do Sr Riso again.. I see you achieved that medal you said "100% not working"... What changed?
The game was not updated since then, which means it was working all this time.
So, instead of calling me a bias (even though you really don't know me), you could've done a better job at testing. And again, I always welcome a 3rd or a 4th party member but no one showed up.

Simply put, if a medal worked for someone after it failed to work for someone else, then the medal is working. You either had a problem back then or there is a certain trick to obtain it. The more people to confirm it, the better.
(even if the medal is not working for me but working for someone else, it stays.)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 11:54:14

At 5/16/17 10:31 AM, Shantom wrote:
At 5/16/17 08:19 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Because apparently it checks high scores before giving you the medal, but if your high score was already above where it should have given you the medal, yet for some reason had not given you the medal, then it's impossible to get the medal.
If the problem was with your high score, I could've easily removed it so you can attempt it again. The author shouldn't have removed a working medal just because it didn't work for you.
I spent an hour or so to confirm whether the medal is working or not, just to have it removed? because it wasn't working for you?
Did anyone else try? No.

Ow... waitaminute... I think that I'll bring attention of the author to this discussion, here goes: @Mantis1
So if the medal was actually working... then I demand my 100 points back ;-)
A question to the author: why it couldn't be simply done like this: I open the game, the game recognizes the account, checks the highscore and awards me with all the medals I should have earned by reaching it?

At 5/16/17 08:19 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 5/15/17 03:14 PM, HerbieG wrote:
There were definitely medals I had to earn multiple times before they awarded in that game and I figured out you needed a run where you were getting the medal popups.

Broken medal is more like the medal isn't obtainable at all, not you just have to use workarounds to obtain it.

So the way suggested by Shantom to earn the 10 000 medal in Bird Hop 2 (that new name is weird) by removing the highscore could be such a workaround.

As far as I remember even when I earned the first medal in Road Closed game there was no medal pop-up. And this game was working for me only in Chrome, in Firefox - black screen.

If more people would try to earn medals in this game and everybody would fail - then it would mean that the medals are indeed broken.

You should be around Newgrounds long enough by now to know reviews are permanent and there's no such thing as "adjusting your review". Besides, if you mean number of people who have achieved that one medal, I did say at the time of the review in the review itself, so that's correct no matter how many people achieve it beyond that time.

You didn't sense a joke in my post. Don't take everything so seriously :-)

At 5/16/17 11:54 AM, HerbieG wrote:
At 5/16/17 10:31 AM, Shantom wrote:
Did anyone else try? No.
Ow... waitaminute... I think that I'll bring attention of the author to this discussion, here goes: @Mantis1
So if the medal was actually working... then I demand my 100 points back ;-)
A question to the author: why it couldn't be simply done like this: I open the game, the game recognizes the account, checks the highscore and awards me with all the medals I should have earned by reaching it?

I wish I had the ability to award medal points :(((

I revived the medal, it's back in your account.

That medal was super iffy if I recall. Some users asked me to remove it. I tried going in the source code to fix it but it was a nightmare, I blame the beta newgrounds medal API and my shitty coding skills at the time. I'll look around the project today, see if I can implement your solution.

So the way suggested by Shantom to earn the 10 000 medal in Bird Hop 2 (that new name is weird)

Agreed on weird name, but still better than a cease and desist. I'm taking suggestions for a better name if you have one!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 17:56:47

At 5/16/17 10:31 AM, Shantom wrote: If the problem was with your high score, I could've easily removed it so you can attempt it again. The author shouldn't have removed a working medal just because it didn't work for you.

Yes and you would have had to manually remove it each time it didn't work, something a normal user and non-moderator couldn't do. And not just for me, but for anyone else who should have obtained it but didn't, etc... So yes it really was broken.

No. Because it actually was broken.

Did anyone else try? No.

It's a lengthy medal to obtain, so few people would have it *anyway*. It's not like a medal hundreds of people were going to have. I'm sure other people did try but simply didn't make it far enough, as the high score tables would be proof enough of whoever it affected.

I asked in my post ( here and here) for others to confirm it but no one did (only HerbieG 'who followed my first post' attempted the 5k medal and achieved it after a while.)

That's not how computer programs work.

Removing your high score never occurred to me until now. Maybe it would've fixed your problem (since it was only on your side and the medal was clearly working.)

Except removing the score would have given me only a single attempt at it, etc... plus if anything went wrong during that attempt, same manual workaround (not doable by the regular users themselves). Plus the same exact thing could have happened with anyone else and you are literally *LUCKY* it didn't happen to you! Although in your exact case you can delete your scores so it wouldn't matter, but you're not a normal user either.

And that's not at all "on my side" when it is literally on the server side. Should anyone else encounter the problem where the high score registers but the medal doesn't award even once, they would then *never* be able to obtain the medal. Even if the initial reason for that is client-side, the persistence of it is server-side. But I'm not sure you're following.

Can regular users delete their scores? No, they can't. So that's not a viable workaround.

Checking Aventuras do Sr Riso again.. I see you achieved that medal you said "100% not working"... What changed?
The game was not updated since then, which means it was working all this time.

No it doesn't. Have you considered asking me how or why it unlocked this time but not before? During the time I unlocked it I had Supporter status and prior to that I did not. The game literally spams the Newgrounds API to the point it gets temporarily blacklisted (and you'd know this if you thoroughly read through the actual information available for games programmers in the newgrounds.io site). But of course you haven't. You're not a programmer. You're actually not qualified to make this judgment.

So, no, it wasn't working. It was spamming the medals API. It just so happens perhaps Newgrounds is a bit more tolerant of this spam if it happens to come from a Supporter account rather than a regular account is all.

So, instead of calling me a bias (even though you really don't know me), you could've done a better job at testing. And again, I always welcome a 3rd or a 4th party member but no one showed up.

Hold up. I did not call you biased "because I did not know you". I called you biased because your actions were biased. I evaluated your actions at the time, not your personality. I even said that perhaps you were not aware of your own bias, and perhaps it was not consciously done. Go look up something called bias blind spot. It's not an uncommon human condition. Basically people don't tend to be aware of the biases they hold.

Simply put, if a medal worked for someone after it failed to work for someone else, then the medal is working.

Not necessarily. See above arguments.

You either had a problem back then or there is a certain trick to obtain it. The more people to confirm it, the better.
(even if the medal is not working for me but working for someone else, it stays.)

The problem is that game spams Newgrounds API because it is badly coded. So if you get the medal before the temporary blacklist, you get the medal. Otherwise you don't (and you have to wait hours before you try again, at which point get temp blacklist again). And it just so happens Newgrounds is more tolerant of Supporter accounts spamming the API, so your odds on obtaining that are much greater with a Supporter or better account versus a regular one.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 18:13:25

At 5/16/17 11:54 AM, HerbieG wrote: So if the medal was actually working... then I demand my 100 points back ;-)

Well that's how the medal should have been done, but wasn't. If that were the case then I could have easily loaded the game up, the game detecting I should have that medal, and awarding it, but it didn't work like that. But I agree if it were correctly implemented like that that would have solved the problem for that game for everyone.

So the way suggested by Shantom to earn the 10 000 medal in Bird Hop 2 (that new name is weird) by removing the highscore could be such a workaround.

Not at all. It is not something a regular user can do. Even if Shantom is willing to remove it once for one user for that particular game, will he be willing to remove it 10 times if necessary? 100 times? For 100 different users? etc... It doesn't scale well. Not that many people would have met the requirements *anyway* in that particular case but just sayin'. Also what if he wasn't around at the time, etc?

It's not a workaround if only moderators and administrators can perform the action.

As far as I remember even when I earned the first medal in Road Closed game there was no medal pop-up. And this game was working for me only in Chrome, in Firefox - black screen.

Play it in Firefox. It works fine in Firefox for me. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the initial load though. Try this. Load up the game in Firefox, wait 30 minutes (even if it has a black screen/white screen/etc), refresh the page. Does it work now? Oftentimes that will work for me.

If more people would try to earn medals in this game and everybody would fail - then it would mean that the medals are indeed broken.

Well the medals are broken or not regardless of how many people have them. In that game, there should be medal popups at the upper-left corner of the window as you pass the achievements (easiest is look for the first popup when you hit 10). If that's not there, refresh the page until it's working (takes only a few seconds to hit 10 and test this). Once it is working, don't reload or touch anything -- get all your medals on that run.

I literally did test it again at the time I wrote that reply and at that time I was getting the medal popups.

Also I can't guarantee if it'll work on Chrome or not. Use Firefox. And you might have to be patient with game loading.

Try all of that and just see if it works. It's very common in games that sometimes they seem to not load, but actually the game just isn't good at telling you it's loading (hence waiting 30 minutes then refresh page and see -- if it's loaded it should be cached and should just come right up)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 21:00:09

@NeonSpider @Shantom

Guys guys guys, I admit it's my fault for neglecting on updating Bird Hop 2 for the past year. Sorry for the trouble!

I made the following changes to the game (Your saved games are okay).
- Updated Newgrounds.io to the latest available version (09/2016)
- Game now sends your highest saved local score at every death.

If you have a saved game with a score higher than the medal requirement but the medal is still locked:
1- Load the game.
2- Die a couple times in the game
3- Refresh the page again.
Let me know if the medal is unlocked or not.

I'm working on displaying the medal name on screen when you unlock it, but I didn't want to stall this hotfix. I'll post another update tomorrow when that feature is done.

At 5/16/17 10:31 AM, Shantom wrote: Simply put, if a medal worked for someone after it failed to work for someone else, then the medal is working. You either had a problem back then or there is a certain trick to obtain it. The more people to confirm it, the better.

I released Bird Hob 2 knowing that the medals only work 90% of the time. I thought I had enough fallbacks in case the medals weren't being sent, but looking at the source code today they're not working correctly. The medal should now get the saved local score alone.

I obliged on removing the 10k medal in an update because I found it too annoying to unlock.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 21:47:30

At 5/16/17 09:34 PM, Mantis1 wrote:
At 5/16/17 10:31 AM, Shantom wrote: Simply put, if a medal worked for someone after it failed to work for someone else, then the medal is working. You either had a problem back then or there is a certain trick to obtain it. The more people to confirm it, the better.
I released Bird Hob 2 knowing that the medals only work 90% of the time. I thought I had enough fallbacks in case the medals weren't being sent, but looking at the source code today they're not working correctly. The medal should now get the saved local score alone.

I obliged on removing the 10k medal in an update because I found it too annoying to unlock.

See? @Shantom @NeonSpider - problem solved, case closed.
And this is how the problems should be solved - by looking for a solution.
So you both can stop throwing tons of tons of tons of arguments at each other, because it is not creating any progress in the particular - or any other - case anyway :-) Spend that energy on looking for ways to improve things :-)

Oh, and no need to thank me ;-)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-16 23:50:19

At 5/16/17 09:34 PM, Mantis1 wrote: I released Bird Hob 2 knowing that the medals only work 90% of the time. I thought I had enough fallbacks in case the medals weren't being sent, but looking at the source code today they're not working correctly. The medal should now get the saved local score alone.

Alright, thank you! The medal is now able to be unlocked and I obtained it. I did have to refresh and then die about 10 times after earning a 10k+ score before it registered after this recent fix of yours, but it did finally work. So it's good that finally anyone can unlock that medal again.

I have respect for you because you are a game author who does actually reply and does actually try to make things right. And because you are trying to improve and learn along the way. You've always been trying to be helpful, even though the game itself had bugs.

At 5/16/17 11:50 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Alright, thank you! The medal is now able to be unlocked and I obtained it. I did have to refresh and then die about 10 times after earning a 10k+ score before it registered after this recent fix of yours, but it did finally work. So it's good that finally anyone can unlock that medal again.

*Breathes sigh of relief*

I have respect for you because you are a game author who does actually reply and does actually try to make things right. And because you are trying to improve and learn along the way. You've always been trying to be helpful, even though the game itself had bugs.

Yeah, I acknowledge the bugs and I feel bad about how sloppy the game turned out! Fixing everything annoying in Bird Hop 2 would take as much resources as creating a new game because of the original source code (I'm a better programmer now I promise!). It's a better investment for my time to create a new, original game.

At 5/16/17 11:54 AM, HerbieG wrote: I think that I'll bring attention of the author to this discussion, here goes: @Mantis1

Thanks HerbieG!
I had already PMed him before your mention. :P

At 5/16/17 05:56 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Yes and you would have had to manually remove it each time it didn't work, something a normal user and non-moderator couldn't do. And not just for me, but for anyone else who should have obtained it but didn't, etc... So yes it really was broken.

That medal was one of a kind (before it got fixed). Out of 12 users who attempted it, you were the only one who didn't obtain it. I wouldn't mind helping you (removing your score) or anyone else to obtain it. But then again, since the author is active, he would've been the best solution.

A working medal should work 100%, but there are tons of medals that don't unlock right away (for many reasons); that doesn't make it broken. In this case, the author said it was working 90%, so it's STILL working but not properly (not entirely broken).

A broken medal doesn't work at all (100% broken or impossible to obtain. Also, there are other cases). No one can obtain it except hackers.

It's a lengthy medal to obtain, so few people would have it *anyway*. It's not like a medal hundreds of people were going to have. I'm sure other people did try but simply didn't make it far enough, as the high score tables would be proof enough of whoever it affected.

I know it's a lengthy medal but I wanted a 3rd user to test it. Checking the scores again, I see RedN obtained it 10 days later. So (maybe not 100% but) it was working.

That's not how computer programs work.

I meant, it would've helped. Me and you playing judge isn't enough. We are talking about flash games on NG.. some things aren't that perfect.

Except removing the score would have given me only a single attempt at it, etc... plus if anything went wrong during that attempt, same manual workaround (not doable by the regular users themselves).

I get your point, but it was one of a kind medal. The author is active so that's a good thing, but if he wasn't, I wouldn't mind helping you as many times as it takes (though I know it's not the best solution but I'm trying to help).

you are literally *LUCKY* it didn't happen to you!

^^ 1 out of 12 users failed to unlock the medal.
I wasn't lucky... you were just unlucky.

And that's not at all "on my side" when it is literally on the server side.

The server isn't perfect, and when I say it's on your side I don't mean it's your fault. I mean an error/glitch happened somehow/somewhere which prevented you from getting the medal, that's not your fault (but it only happened to you which is why I'm saying it's on your side).

In this case, it's an HTML5 game (no .sol file) and your score was registered. And based on the coding of the game, you could never achieve it. If I knew this was the problem, I would've helped you, but thanks to the author for being active and fixing the problem.

During the time I unlocked it I had Supporter status and prior to that I did not. The game literally spams the Newgrounds API to the point it gets temporarily blacklisted

Me and EdyKel (and some other users I checked) didn't have supporter status back then, and the medal worked. I'm not saying the game and the medal are perfect, but the medal was still working somehow (with a different condition).
I'm not blaming you for what happened, but I wouldn't remove a medal that works somehow. If more users were to confirm that it was broken (after testing it correctly) I would've removed it.

Also, since the game spams NG API and causes problems for users, it should be fixed or removed entirely (instead of removing that one medal since the problem is with the game to begin with). But, the game is still around.. and so does the medal.. :/

You're not a programmer.

No I'm not. :3

I called you biased because your actions were biased. I evaluated your actions at the time, not your personality.

You assumed that I kept that medal because it worked for me, but that wasn't the reason. I stopped collecting medals long time ago. I don't care how many medals stay or get removed. I'm just trying to be fair and help everyone (this is not personal).

You mentioned the medal. I checked it and it seemed like it could be working. I tested it and it worked. I asked for others to test it but no one did, so I kept it. You wanted me to remove it because it didn't work for you since it may be broken? Fair, but one user isn't enough to do that. I needed more confirmation.

Simply put, if a medal worked for someone after it failed to work for someone else, then the medal is working.
Not necessarily.

It is. :O
A user tried but didn't unlock it. Another user tried after that and he unlocked it (no hacks used). Assuming the game wasn't updated, that medal works (even if not 100%). So, the first user either failed to do the exact requirements or he faced some kind of a problem. The problem could be from the game itself, but that medal still works, not 100% broken.

It's not a workaround if only moderators and administrators can perform the action.

True..

At 5/16/17 09:34 PM, Mantis1 wrote: I released Bird Hob 2 knowing that the medals only work 90% of the time.

First of all, thanks for the fix! :>
Also, believe me when I say this, there are much worse medals and games out there. Your game and medals aren't as bad as you think. They worked for most users which is a great achievement. Don't feel bad about it.

Well..... it wasn't as fun and challenging as I hoped it would be. It just took too long :P
But it's not a bad medal btw.

At 5/16/17 09:47 PM, HerbieG wrote: See? @Shantom @NeonSpider - problem solved, case closed.

Thanks again HerbieG :)

So you both can stop throwing tons of tons of tons of arguments at each other

But.. but.. he started it! :<
lol.. All jokes aside, I don't hate you or hold a grudge against you @NeonSpider. We just got off on the wrong foot. I'm still willing to help you whenever I can.
That's just who I am.

Oh, and no need to thank me ;-)

ops.. XD

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-18 06:22:40

At 5/17/17 09:25 AM, Shantom wrote: A working medal should work 100%, but there are tons of medals that don't unlock right away (for many reasons); that doesn't make it broken. In this case, the author said it was working 90%, so it's STILL working but not properly (not entirely broken).

A broken medal doesn't work at all (100% broken or impossible to obtain. Also, there are other cases). No one can obtain it except hackers.

I'm aware of lots of cases of misbehaving medals or medals requiring workarounds to achieve (the most common workaround being save game, reload page, then earn medal for medals that take a long time, to bypass possible medal API timeout problems). Even medals that must be obtained many times before they actually finally award. I don't post about broken medals if it's only not worked for me once or a few times, but after I've tried it many times, have tried many workarounds, and am convinced it's not obtainable, even with workarounds.

I get your point, but it was one of a kind medal. The author is active so that's a good thing, but if he wasn't, I wouldn't mind helping you as many times as it takes (though I know it's not the best solution but I'm trying to help).

But what happens when other people or perhaps a lot of people need those services? What happens if ten years down the line if you're not active anymore and people can't get the medal? It is of course best when any standard account user can get things working on their own. It's good that it got fixed in this case.

During the time I unlocked it I had Supporter status and prior to that I did not. The game literally spams the Newgrounds API to the point it gets temporarily blacklisted
Me and EdyKel (and some other users I checked) didn't have supporter status back then, and the medal worked. I'm not saying the game and the medal are perfect, but the medal was still working somehow (with a different condition).
I'm not blaming you for what happened, but I wouldn't remove a medal that works somehow. If more users were to confirm that it was broken (after testing it correctly) I would've removed it.

Well, they had. There were comments in the reviews of the game itself. Also it should be assumed the vast majority of people who had the next-to-last medal but not that final medal most likely were hit with this issue as well, considering if you put up with the game to that point why wouldn't you finish it out? Combined with the final boss just isn't that hard. Sure, there may be a few who stopped playing before they finished it out, but the vast majority would have finished it out if they got that far.

Also, since the game spams NG API and causes problems for users, it should be fixed or removed entirely (instead of removing that one medal since the problem is with the game to begin with). But, the game is still around.. and so does the medal.. :/

Well, that's exactly what I suggested. I said if it's harmful to the site it should probably not have medals. And it provably spams medal connection because just about every time playing that game (and only that game) I would get warnings from Newgrounds about slow down because too many requests.

The blacklist on medals for medals API spam is per-game and I'm not sure how long it lasts, but I assume at least an hour. This game was constantly triggering this.

You mentioned the medal. I checked it and it seemed like it could be working. I tested it and it worked. I asked for others to test it but no one did, so I kept it. You wanted me to remove it because it didn't work for you since it may be broken? Fair, but one user isn't enough to do that. I needed more confirmation.

But there were literally comments in the review of the game itself stating exactly this. Sure, those people did not reply in the broken medals thread, but most people don't. Also like I said it can probably be assumed the vast majority of people who have all the other medals *except* that final medal in that game most likely earned it since they went all that way and put up with the game that long plus the final boss not being very difficult.

A user tried but didn't unlock it. Another user tried after that and he unlocked it (no hacks used). Assuming the game wasn't updated, that medal works (even if not 100%). So, the first user either failed to do the exact requirements or he faced some kind of a problem. The problem could be from the game itself, but that medal still works, not 100% broken.

There are unfair medals though. There is at least one game that has username-based medals. Is this fair? It will 100% of the time unlock if your username is certain things but 0% of the time unlock if it is anything else. Name That Bill --- if your username has Bill or Billy in it you get a medal and if it has Clock in it you get a medal, else no medal for you. This is the way you unlock two of the medals in that game. I mean those aren't broken medals in the sense they are doing exactly what they intend, but should that be allowed?

lol.. All jokes aside, I don't hate you or hold a grudge against you @NeonSpider. We just got off on the wrong foot. I'm still willing to help you whenever I can.
That's just who I am.

Well I don't mean to offend. I just want things to be fair. It might seem like I was calling you out specifically, but I do that with everybody. I try to hold everyone to the same standards, myself included. I'm not perfect but I do have high standards. I try to be as thorough as I can. And I'll often catch things other people won't.

And if I have workarounds or fixes for things I will share what I know. And when people ask questions I try to be helpful.

Hence if I remember having to use some workarounds to obtain some medal, then I will be happy to share.

At 5/18/17 06:22 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 5/17/17 09:25 AM, Shantom wrote: You mentioned the medal. I checked it and it seemed like it could be working. I tested it and it worked. I asked for others to test it but no one did, so I kept it. You wanted me to remove it because it didn't work for you since it may be broken? Fair, but one user isn't enough to do that. I needed more confirmation.
But there were literally comments in the review of the game itself stating exactly this. Sure, those people did not reply in the broken medals thread, but most people don't. Also like I said it can probably be assumed the vast majority of people who have all the other medals *except* that final medal in that game most likely earned it since they went all that way and put up with the game that long plus the final boss not being very difficult.

^^; I was talking about the 10k Bird Hop medal.. sorry for the confusion.

As for the circus medal, it required clicking on the tent which may have not occurred to everyone.
The game has a problem to begin with.

There is at least one game that has username-based medals. Is this fair?

Lol I remember these medals. We kinda discussed them and thought that they were meant as a joke, so why would we interfere? :P
Both medals are worth 5, and non of these users are competing in the rankings. If, one day, Billy-clock collected all medals and you are 10 points off, we'll talk about it XD

Well I don't mean to offend. I just want things to be fair. It might seem like I was calling you out specifically, but I do that with everybody. I try to hold everyone to the same standards, myself included. I'm not perfect but I do have high standards. I try to be as thorough as I can. And I'll often catch things other people won't.

No worries ^^
I'm trying to be fair with everyone as well (there's nothing against you).
Also, thanks for helping out! :3

1000 posts :D

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-18 18:10:56

The medal "first_trap_pig" for 10 points doesn't work. While playing through the game it is necessary to trap a pig multiple times. WojtekR and I have finished the game and none of us unlocked it.

<3

At 5/18/17 06:10 PM, Syrreal wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/692571
The medal "first_trap_pig" for 10 points doesn't work. While playing through the game it is necessary to trap a pig multiple times. WojtekR and I have finished the game and none of us unlocked it.

Oh, I forgot to mention something. When you play the last level of a world and finish it, do not continue. Just go back to the stage select / menu. Otherwise it will crash. Furthermore the game doesn't save. The pigs can be found in the second and third world.

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-19 09:24:14

At 5/18/17 06:10 PM, Syrreal wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/692571
The medal "first_trap_pig" for 10 points doesn't work.

These kind of medals should be removed automatically in 2 weeks or so. If it doesn't, I'll remove it next week.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-05-30 08:25:07

I know what the problem with Weedman is but I don't know how to work around it. The problem is for some reason it's not recording my completion times. If you'll look at my scores in that game you'll see there are no recorded completion times. Only the least deaths record for me.

So I was able to get three more medals (all three difficult medals dealing with number of deaths)

The three medals I can't get (despite having met the requirements and rightly earned them many times) are Beat Weedman, Beat Weedman SO SLOW, and Beat Weedman SO HIGH.

Also I notice my saved replays just have a blank image and if I replay it just says I've completed the game in null time (although the actual time is displayed in the replay name). There are other people that get the blank image saved replays too and I'll assume they're being hit by the same problem. (Also I can't replay my replays beyond the time just after having earned it. They load but never start and if I right-click Play or right-click Forward that just starts me up a new game rather than playing the replay as-it-was)

The normal saved replays have a picture of that guy's face as the image, with the top part variously corrupted (corruption differs per replay)

It could be this game has some hard-coded behavior which is specific to Windows or something in regards to how it calculates time or saves replays or something. Regardless it has something very badly-coded in it and it's not going to work for everyone.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-06-12 02:54:05

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-06-12 11:20:11

At 5/30/17 08:25 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Weedman

This game sucks! Though the medals are working I guess...
Maybe we should remove some of them?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/654816
None of the medals work.

I just unlocked all medals :x
Can anyone else confirm?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-06-12 14:04:59

At 6/12/17 11:20 AM, Shantom wrote: I just unlocked all medals :x
Can anyone else confirm?

I've unlocked the first couple so far.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-06-29 22:36:16

Hello everybody!

There is one issue I wanted to ask about, hoping to get some feedback. Can anybody unlock any medal in this game?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-07-30 09:28:40

"Suicidal" medal is definitely broken. (only 5pt but broken is broken right)

Everything is broken, the death medal can't be get and probably the others cannot too (check the last unlocks, it's 5 years now)

Game won't load in NG in any way and so every medal is broken (i have all but 1)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-07-30 10:08:20

At 7/30/17 09:28 AM, SuperSapito wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/541696
"Suicidal" medal is definitely broken. (only 5pt but broken is broken right)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/502144
Everything is broken, the death medal can't be get and probably the others cannot too (check the last unlocks, it's 5 years now)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531743
Game won't load in NG in any way and so every medal is broken (i have all but 1)

Enigmata is working fine, I just checked it on Chrome and Firefox. Even one user unlocked the first medal yesterday.

As for the Lastman: did you beat the whole game? The death medal is certainly not working, at least for me too, thanks for information. I'll try to get in touch with the author.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-07-30 17:16:30

At 7/30/17 10:08 AM, HerbieG wrote:
Enigmata is working fine, I just checked it on Chrome and Firefox. Even one user unlocked the first medal yesterday.

As for the Lastman: did you beat the whole game? The death medal is certainly not working, at least for me too, thanks for information. I'll try to get in touch with the author.

My bad. I didn't explain it properly.

The issue with *Enigmata - Genu's Revenge* is not failure to load properly but rather the faiture to load the first shop, which follows the first boss (Eterna) defeat. This prevents further advance - Its also impossible to load games from Kongregate via text save.

As the bug occurs AFTER the first boss battle, the first medal - which is awarded for defeating the first boss - is alright. The rest of them, if you check, were last obtained last year.

There's this game that has a medal which cannot be unlocked:

"Wonder Soup App", I watched the video walkthrough and after beating the last level there's a button in the ending screen which I assume that, when clicked, unlocked the medal. But it's not in the game anymore.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-05 08:52:53

At 8/2/17 11:20 AM, Optimos wrote: There's this game that has a medal which cannot be unlocked:

"Impossible" medal doesn't work. I have a total sum of 104k and it should already unlock at 100k. While playing yesterday it always send me a dialog of an unlocked medal (multiple times even after unlocking the first medal). This is missing today, even for reaching the necessary amount of the "Not Bad" medal. Can someone else test if anything unlocks in this game or if it is just completely broken?

<3

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2017-08-09 12:11:35

At 8/9/17 11:36 AM, PhantasyReal wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/697238
"Impossible" medal doesn't work. I have a total sum of 104k and it should already unlock at 100k. While playing yesterday it always send me a dialog of an unlocked medal (multiple times even after unlocking the first medal). This is missing today, even for reaching the necessary amount of the "Not Bad" medal. Can someone else test if anything unlocks in this game or if it is just completely broken?

I got a theory about this, there are some games with such an idiotic setting on NG and this may be the case.
Could you try and grind your today's score up to 100K? Because it is possible that the game is reading the today's score instead of the all-time score to unlock the medal. I will tag @Optimos here since it looks like he is also grinding this medal now. If he will also fail to do it with all-time score I'll PM the author.