00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Monkt420 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters.

93,656 Views | 1,524 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 11/26/20 11:43 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I have cranberry juice with lime, but no cranberry sauce or turkey just yet. In the meantime, I made some pasta with mushrooms, chopped spinach, extra virgin olive oil and salt.

Looks fresh! Got those greens too!

Getting curious about the mushrooms. Do you always have some with your meals? Just coincidence now?

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-26 15:15:18

At 11/26/20 02:41 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Looks fresh! Got those greens too!

Getting curious about the mushrooms. Do you always have some with your meals? Just coincidence now?

I didn't think I hid the fact that I absolutely love mushrooms, but I guess for some people it's new information. It's just that my love of shit is more well-known. I regard both very highly.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-26 15:31:03

At 11/26/20 03:15 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I didn't think I hid the fact that I absolutely love mushrooms

iu_200144_8146500.jpg

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

At 11/26/20 03:15 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I didn't think I hid the fact that I absolutely love mushrooms, but I guess for some people it's new information. It's just that my love of shit is more well-known. I regard both very highly.

Was definitely new info to me. XD Do you have some with every meal you make though? How common an ingredient might they be? Just curious here. Do like mushrooms.

Been planning to get into picking more myself but never seem to get to it, not so confident in my abilities to distinguish lethal types from edible ones. We occasionally manage some chanterelles or bovista though, very common types over here, late summer the latter kind just pop up on lawns all over. And as for chanterelles: can't mistake 'em for anything. Common dark forest food item too.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-26 19:43:27

At 11/26/20 04:11 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Was definitely new info to me. XD Do you have some with every meal you make though? How common an ingredient might they be? Just curious here.

Not every, but a fuck ton, yes. I just got some.

I'm in the middle of cooking right now as well.

Do like mushrooms too. Been planning to get into picking more myself but never seem to get to it, not so confident in my abilities to distinguish lethal types from edible ones. We occasionally manage some chanterelles or bovista though, very common types over here, late summer the latter kind just pop up on lawns all over. And as for chanterelles: can't mistake 'em for anything. Common dark forest food item too.

Out in the wild, I'm a pretty big fan of oyster mushrooms. Obviously, the skill of IDing the safe vs. poisonous ones is honed over time. I don't get to do much picking since I'm pretty urban, but I have amassed enough skills as a result of my frequent travels to rural and suburban areas. It's mostly the rural areas where you'll get the good mushrooms.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-26 22:47:13

Okay so...

No huge ass turkey. Yes turkey kielbasa. I also put in pasta, mushrooms (durr--that is where my heart is, as well as shit--never forget that), sliced olives, pimientos and capers. I further gave it some nice motherfucking roasted garlic and herb seasoning. As always, my final product is a work of art.

iu_200406_675845.jpg

I also forgot about the need for cranberry sauce, so the second best thing, cranberry juice with lime.

iu_200407_675845.jpg

All in all...happy Thanksgiving? I'd say so despite no having anyone to share this with. I was in on a family Zoom call from 12 to 1. I had business to take of despite it being a holiday and I go to work tomorrow.

Hope everyone else had a happy remote Thanksgiving.

BBS Signature

At 11/26/20 07:43 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: Not every, but a fuck ton, yes. I just got some.

I'm in the middle of cooking right now as well.

Good to know. Should borrow some mushroom momentum here; start adding 'em to meals like I do other spices. Some extra with quick meals like yesterdays noodle bowl would been a huge boost...

Out in the wild, I'm a pretty big fan of oyster mushrooms. Obviously, the skill of IDing the safe vs. poisonous ones is honed over time. I don't get to do much picking since I'm pretty urban, but I have amassed enough skills as a result of my frequent travels to rural and suburban areas. It's mostly the rural areas where you'll get the good mushrooms.

Ah those are a real delicacy! Not sure we have them wild where I live but I love those. Does require more rural areas indeed, even if you find 'em in parks all over you don't really want to eat ones that grow mid-city.

Potential mushroom-hunt-themed future NG meetup hmm!

At 11/26/20 10:47 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: All in all...happy Thanksgiving? I'd say so despite no having anyone to share this with. I was in on a family Zoom call from 12 to 1. I had business to take of despite it being a holiday and I go to work tomorrow.

Hope everyone else had a happy remote Thanksgiving.

Food looking good! Happy Thanksgiving man! Though we doth not celebrate that we did have a good family get together anyway yesterday. Wish all dinners were more Italian by nature. All 'bout both that culinary and community appreciation.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-30 19:57:49

@SantaSeven

My brother is in Louisiana for work, and I asked him to bring me back some Tony Chachere's More Spice, but I wouldn't mind trying another brand of seasoning that I probably can't get way up in this frozen wasteland.

Any recommendations?

Also it's dumb I can't have a whole settlement of people wearing power armor. Was planning of outfitting the entire castle in T-45 Minuteman painted power armor with MK5 ballistic weaved minuteman outfits and fully upgraded Gauss rifles or laser muskets.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-30 20:35:44

At 11/30/20 07:57 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: @SantaSeven

My brother is in Louisiana for work, and I asked him to bring me back some Tony Chachere's More Spice, but I wouldn't mind trying another brand of seasoning that I probably can't get way up in this frozen wasteland.

Slap ya Mama is pretty good but I confess to using Tony's quite a bit.

It depends where he's at in Louisiana---- can you share the city or region?

Because tbh if he's anywhere south of

i-10 , he's gonna find mom and pop cajun/creole seasoning in like random gas stations and that shit is good.

Any recommendations?

Also it's dumb I can't have a whole settlement of people wearing power armor. Was planning of outfitting the entire castle in T-45 Minuteman painted power armor with MK5 ballistic weaved minuteman outfits and fully upgraded Gauss rifles or laser muskets.

I had to fence in my power armor because the settlers kept taking it.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-30 20:53:55

At 11/30/20 08:35 PM, SantaSeven wrote:

i-10 , he's gonna find mom and pop cajun/creole seasoning in like random gas stations and that shit is good.

Any recommendations?

Funny you mention the I-10, he's staying is Lake Charles.

I've had Slap ya Mama, and Punch ya Daddy, they're both good, but so far Tony's is still my favorite.

Lmao, bastards. I was hoping to have entire settlements fashion coordinated. Mostly with upgraded clothing, heavy combat armor, and Gauss rifles or .50 cals.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-30 21:23:37

At 11/30/20 08:53 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
At 11/30/20 08:35 PM, SantaSeven wrote:

Any recommendations?
Funny you mention the I-10, he's staying is Lake Charles.

Oh man, they're still in bad shape in Lake Charles.

I'm not even sure if the places Im thinking about are still there.

If he heads east a bit while out adventuring, like Lafayette way, I can tell you alllll the good places to send him.

've had Slap ya Mama, and Punch ya Daddy, they're both good, but so far Tony's is still my favorite.

Lmao, bastards. I was hoping to have entire settlements fashion coordinated. Mostly with upgraded clothing, heavy combat armor, and Gauss rifles or .50 cals.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-30 21:40:54

At 11/30/20 09:23 PM, SantaSeven wrote: Oh man, they're still in bad shape in Lake Charles.
I'm not even sure if the places Im thinking about are still there.

From what I was told they got hit pretty hard.

If he heads east a bit while out adventuring, like Lafayette way, I can tell you alllll the good places to send him.

He usually gets a few days to check stuff out, so I'll mention whatever you'd recommend.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-12-19 19:07:55

Tenderloin roast, potatoes, carrots.

Boiled the taters and carrots I'm chicken broth with some Maldon smoked salt, then baked them in a coating of duck fat. The roast was seasoned with Montreal steak spice in the fridge for a couple days, brought to room temp, then baked for 10 minutes in the duck fat the potatoes and carrots were in.

Paired with a very nice Merlot.

iu_211090_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

At 12/19/20 07:07 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Tenderloin roast, potatoes, carrots.

Boiled the taters and carrots I'm chicken broth with some Maldon smoked salt, then baked them in a coating of duck fat. The roast was seasoned with Montreal steak spice in the fridge for a couple days, brought to room temp, then baked for 10 minutes in the duck fat the potatoes and carrots were in.

Sounds like it tastes way better than the picture shows. :) I mean not that it doesn't look good but: so much intricate preparation leading up to this one photo that said photo can't apprise...

Btw how did that aforementioned spice quest go? Any exciting catches?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-12-20 17:08:37

At 12/20/20 02:04 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/19/20 07:07 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Tenderloin roast, potatoes, carrots.

Sounds like it tastes way better than the picture shows. :) I mean not that it doesn't look good but: so much intricate preparation leading up to this one photo that said photo can't apprise...

Everything looks glossy in the photo lol. The meat is always delicious. Brought some steaks over to a friend's place a few seeks ago that were don't the same way, and there was a ring around the edge of the steaks that almost had the texture of jerky. It was a nice contrast to the blue rare center of my steak.

Btw how did that aforementioned spice quest go? Any exciting catches?

Didn't get anything, I was working when my brother was looking for spices, so he just let it be. It's all good though, I should probably go through what I have first.

BBS Signature

At 12/20/20 05:08 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Everything looks glossy in the photo lol. The meat is always delicious. Brought some steaks over to a friend's place a few seeks ago that were don't the same way, and there was a ring around the edge of the steaks that almost had the texture of jerky. It was a nice contrast to the blue rare center of my steak.

Nice. :)

Didn't get anything, I was working when my brother was looking for spices, so he just let it be. It's all good though, I should probably go through what I have first.

I too do have a bit bigger a stash of spice than I really need but: bummer 'bout those! Seemed like a real treasure trove of titillating taste alternations over there.

BBS Signature

A Denuded-ish tenderloin, which I've already cut into steaks and seasoned with steak spice, currently resting in the fridge.

My first attempt at twice baked potatoes. Mashed taters with heavy cream, butter, sour cream, that boursin garlic cheese, and parmesan cheese. Topped with mozza, more parmesan, and green onions with bacon still to come.

iu_217254_1809211.jpg

iu_217255_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-12-31 12:44:01

At 12/31/20 12:11 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: And actually that's it. I thought there was more.

That's plenty though! XD Intriguing culinary glimpses. Curious what's going on in that Christmas dinner one?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-12-31 14:14:10

At 12/31/20 12:11 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: I think I've got a backlog of pics to share.

Christmas dinner:

Chicken Parm:

And actually that's it. I thought there was more.

That chicken parm and the green beans look delicious. Make everything from scratch or did you utilize some shortcuts?

Honestly the only good store-bought tomato sauce I've had is from Lina's.

BBS Signature

At 12/31/20 01:59 PM, Peaceblossom wrote:
At 12/31/20 12:44 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/31/20 12:11 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: And actually that's it. I thought there was more.
That's plenty though! XD Intriguing culinary glimpses. Curious what's going on in that Christmas dinner one?
Butterball turkey loaf, buttery carrots, mashed potatoes, gravy, and garlic toast. I'd normally do a whole bird and have some family over. It was a small Christmas this year though, and the Butterball is actually really good.

Nice. It does sound good!

Most people do roast up some larger game here too but we go by simple traditions, it's usually just a tray of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jansson%27s_temptation

Sometimes with a little salmon on the side. Cloudberries after. A bottle of aged Julmust - oughta try that if you ever get a chance to. ;) No need to go all out to appreciate!

Though I wouldn't mind if we did either!

BBS Signature

At 12/31/20 04:01 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: Sometimes I think I'd do well to eat a Swedish diet. I'm probably one of the only people I know who enjoys a range of preserved fish, tart berries, and game meats. I think there was quite a bit of trade between Newfoundland and Europe (esp. Northern Europe / Scandinavia, but also Western Europe) traditionally, which is where I derive a lot of my unique palate from. In Newfoundland there are wild partridgeberries (lingonberry to the rest of the world), bakeapples (cloudberries) and a few other edible fruits that are plentiful and forageable. Salt cod was a staple of the Newfoundland diet, and is considered an important food / delicacy in Spain (and probably many other parts of Europe). Out west where I am, not many people will touch these foods.

Ah yeah you'd feel right at home with our culinary style then. :) I remember reading some article on our crown princess/prince visiting the US and serving up some real roasted salmon in school, and barely anybody liked it! XD Fast food done taken over over there, what's happening to the world these days!!! I wouldn't say preserved fish in particular is one of my favorite dishes but... can eat. :) It's tradition after all. If you're thinking of the anjovis in the dish mentioned above it really just contributes the salt/umami-like flavor. Some pretty tasty ways to cook these things, salt herring fried with butter and onions/served with potatoes is another simple (but IMO amazing) classic...

Interesting. Lingonberry was the name I knew for that too btw (just 'lingon' for us), and bakeapples, woah, similar roots but such different wording! :D That's awesome. Guess that salt cod's similar to the herring I mentioned above too.

Do you have any history with red/black currents, fermented blueberry drinks, palt, oven pancakes...?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2021-01-02 14:38:26

At 12/31/20 07:36 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: Lunch today was a chorizo hash, with farm eggs grown by a 9-year-old friend of the family. I made some caramelized onions and some fake-aioli with mayo, oil, garlic, and vinegar. This was one of the best things I've eaten recently, though I realize the aioli looks gross - kinda like liver pâté or something.

Oh man, I would have ate the shit out of that yesterday. Looks like the hangover breakfast of champions.

The twice baked potatoes turned out amazing, and actually slid out of the cast iron like it should have. The butter on the bottom gave it a nice little crust too. My favorite thing about it, is that it can be made well ahead of time too.

BBS Signature

At 12/31/20 07:29 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: I didnt really experience fermented foods until recently (the last 5 years or so). And I've cooked with red currant jelly quite a bit but never had them in any other form. As far as I know, black currants aren't a thing you could get here, until recently. I think growing them was banned.

Banned whaaat?! The federal government had banned the growing of black and red currants in 1911 when the burgeoning logging industry put pressure on lawmakers to eliminate the currants because they were thought to be an intermediate host of white pine blister rust. Huh. Interesting slice of history there, growing conditions must differ a bit...

Black currents are the best type IMO. Though red jelly's common here too. Also common decoration on cakes.

I'd be very interested to try these things though. When I cooked in restaurants we borrowed most heavily from French cuisine, followed by Italian, the Americas, Pacific Asia, and the Middle East. I really thought I had experienced a variety of foods, but it seems there's so much more to experience still. I can't wait to travel again after covid is over.

Same. :) Relate certain dishes to all styles you mention above though I've probably just tried stereotypical such; am scratching the surface with anything but local cuisine still. Curious what you borrowed from Pacific Asia in particular?

At 12/31/20 07:36 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: Lunch

Looks goood too!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2021-01-20 21:32:29

Made Gyros tonight. They were ok.

A little too fresh for my taste. Maybe too many raw vegetables? Oh well they looked decent.

iu_228224_808532.jpg

Maybe it's just because I had a high fat lunch today.

iu_228225_808532.jpg

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2021-01-21 05:44:20

At 1/20/21 09:32 PM, Fro wrote: Made Gyros tonight. They were ok.

A little too fresh for my taste. Maybe too many raw vegetables? Oh well they looked decent.

Can you ever have too many raw vegetables?! :O Looks awesome.

Maybe it's just because I had a high fat lunch today.

Not bad either!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2021-01-21 21:43:11

I'd say it's a really really lazy take on coq, but it's a little too many omitted steps and ingredients.

Paired with the same Sokol Blosser Pinot Nior that I used for the gravy.

Pic looks a little glossy, but I was too hungry to take a better one.

iu_228728_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2021-01-22 04:59:42

At 1/21/21 09:43 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Pic looks a little glossy, but I was too hungry to take a better one.

Satisfactory visuals for figuratively savoring said dish anyway. ;) Looks classy!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2021-01-24 07:02:17

Hello my name is Kendeck and I am a very good eater.

I plan on advancing beyond boil-in-water pre-made frozens soon.

May I join?

At 1/24/21 07:02 AM, BroKendeck wrote: Hello my name is Kendeck and I am a very good eater.

I plan on advancing beyond boil-in-water pre-made frozens soon.

May I join?

Hello Kendeck!

I'd hope so but... where the official application approving club founder @Kiwi at now?!

Potentially welcome to the club before official say-so!

The pursuit of cooking endeavors beyond the pre-made boil alternations indeed seems a worthy one! Hope you find some inspiration here in; looking forward to following said culinary advancements in scrumptious and/or scrutinous detail soon!

BBS Signature

At 1/24/21 10:01 AM, Peaceblossom wrote: I don't think I ever asked to join. Just post food pics and don't be a dick

No formal application procedure required at all hmm!!! Clubs and crews ain't how they used to be...

BBS Signature