00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Monkt420 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters.

93,653 Views | 1,524 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-17 06:54:03

At 10/15/20 11:39 PM, Peaceblossom wrote:
Big dirty breakfast for dinner. Hash brown casserole, extra old cheddar, bacon, Valentina Hot Sauce, sour cream, basted egg.

DAMN that makes me wanna know how to Cook that so i can Eat it!!!

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-17 10:49:44

Bought myself a present yesterday.

Actually a few presents, but this one is most relevant.

iu_181891_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

At 10/17/20 10:49 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: Bought myself a present yesterday.

Eyy, nice brand! Cast iron with enamel? Stoneware?

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-17 11:05:54

At 10/17/20 10:51 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/17/20 10:49 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: Bought myself a present yesterday.

Eyy, nice brand! Cast iron?

Yeah, enameled cast iron. About $130 CDN at Costco, a steal at that price. I also have a Dutch (French) oven, and a shallow fry pan, and that's literally all the pots and pans I have. Now I don't have to use my Dutch oven to make 1/2 cup of rice.

They have the 140-piece dream kitchen set for $6,000, but honestly it looks like a lot of filler. Just the 72-piece plates/dinnerware are $1,200, the 10-piece cast Iron cookware is $1,500. The stainless steel, non-stick, knife set, etc... can't be worth $3,300.

BBS Signature

At 10/17/20 11:05 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: Yeah, enameled cast iron. About $130 CDN at Costco, a steal at that price. I also have a Dutch (French) oven, and a shallow fry pan, and that's literally all the pots and pans I have. Now I don't have to use my Dutch oven to make 1/2 cup of rice.

Dang, still not cheap but quality does cost! Sounds like the right kind of investment, though not even a stainless steel pan lying around...? Seems like a simpler way to cook simpler things...

They have the 140-piece dream kitchen set for $6,000, but honestly it looks like a lot of filler. Just the 72-piece plates/dinnerware are $1,200, the 10-piece cast Iron cookware is $1,500. The stainless steel, non-stick, knife set, etc... can't be worth $3,300.

Woah. Personally I'd probably be seeking out good cast-iron cookware second-hand if I need more; invest in other things, doesn't matter so much if what you get is a bit too greasy or if there's some surface rust, it's easy to clean or burn away. Enamel though, maybe not as easy to find those used in unscathed quality...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-17 11:47:00

At 10/17/20 11:29 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/17/20 11:05 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: Yeah, enameled cast iron. About $130 CDN at Costco, a steal at that price. I also have a Dutch (French) oven, and a shallow fry pan, and that's literally all the pots and pans I have. Now I don't have to use my Dutch oven to make 1/2 cup of rice.
Dang, still not cheap but quality does cost! Sounds like the right kind of investment, though not even a stainless steel pan lying around...? Seems like a simpler way to cook simpler things...

Not yet.

When I moved into my house, I was planning on cheaping out on everything, then replacing it with higher end stuff when the bank account started to refill, but my brother made a good point when he said to just get good quality stuff right off the bat. Eventually I'll get some good copper cookware on a good sale, but for now I'm by myself, so it's easy enough to make do.

Woah. Personally I'd probably be seeking out good cast-iron cookware second-hand if I need more; invest in other things, doesn't matter so much if what you get is a bit too greasy or if there's some surface rust, it's easy to clean or burn away. Enamel though, maybe not as easy to find those used in unscathed quality...

Some good cast iron is next on my list. Honestly I think it cooks the best steaks too. Sear the living shit out of it at 600-800*F, then finish it in the oven to whatever doneness you like. I've found that the beef fat really sticks and burns to the enamel when searing a steak, takes a few good uses to get off. Could do the old baking soda trick, but it's a little to abrasive and wears down the enamel. (From what I've read)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-18 18:24:43

At 10/17/20 11:47 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: Not yet.

When I moved into my house, I was planning on cheaping out on everything, then replacing it with higher end stuff when the bank account started to refill, but my brother made a good point when he said to just get good quality stuff right off the bat. Eventually I'll get some good copper cookware on a good sale, but for now I'm by myself, so it's easy enough to make do.

Definitely good advice, though me I'm more of that cheap and quality mindset. :P Which pretty much either means buying on sale, as you do, or second hand. Or ideally both at the same time!

Environmental pros of recycling stuff too, but for sure, there's something special about that lure of new! Untarnished and clean. Not a trace of previous functional reincarnation.

Some good cast iron is next on my list. Honestly I think it cooks the best steaks too. Sear the living shit out of it at 600-800*F, then finish it in the oven to whatever doneness you like. I've found that the beef fat really sticks and burns to the enamel when searing a steak, takes a few good uses to get off. Could do the old baking soda trick, but it's a little to abrasive and wears down the enamel. (From what I've read)

Mmm no meat-eater so I wouldn't know, but sounds probable! With uncoated cast iron the fat becomes a part of the surface texture too, so seems like less of an issue. Can be thoroughly cleaned by just heating it up till anything you don't want to have there burns off too. Really is the best material IMO! No baking soda necessary. No wear and tear at all really, just keep oiled to avoid rust.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-19 08:57:38

I guess my baked pears are the highlight of the meals I cook, it's funny because it's probably the least expensive thing too.

Pears halved and cored

Butter

Honey

Vanilla

Cinnamon

Rum (I used Appletons)

Served with vanilla ice cream and salt (I use fleur de sel)

I'll bake and baste them cut side up for a few hours at 250*F, but that can be adjusted if you're in a time crunch or like them more tender.

The butter and honey can be equal parts, and be generous with the rum.

It's definitely worth trying, especially with your American Thanksgiving around the corner.

BBS Signature

At 10/19/20 08:57 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: I guess my baked pears are the highlight of the meals I cook, it's funny because it's probably the least expensive thing too.

Pears halved and cored
Butter
Honey
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Rum (I used Appletons)
Served with vanilla ice cream and salt (I use fleur de sel)

It's definitely worth trying, especially with your American Thanksgiving around the corner.

Sounds delicious. :) Though good rum, real bourbon vanilla, real cinnamon, real butter.. this doesn't sound all that cheap. :P

Still the right season to get some free pears though...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-19 20:26:16

Let's talk about coq. Coq au vin.

Anyone had it? Anyone made it?

iu_182836_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 06:26:52

At 10/19/20 08:26 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Let's talk about coq. Coq au vin.

Never had or made it but looks tasty...

Must be pretty rich in flavor.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 09:53:09

At 10/19/20 11:27 PM, Peaceblossom wrote:
At 10/19/20 08:26 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Let's talk about coq. Coq au vin.

I love coq!

Coq joke. :3

I've made it before. Classic French dining. Hearty and good as fuck.

I think I'm going to try making it today, it sounds and looks delicious.

At 10/20/20 06:26 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Never had or made it but looks tasty...

Must be pretty rich in flavor.

If it's as good as I imagine it is, it'll be a wonderful meal for winter.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 11:57:23

At 10/20/20 09:53 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: If it's as good as I imagine it is, it'll be a wonderful meal for winter.

Wait you hadn't tried this either? Google image above?

Does sound like it!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 15:48:58

At 10/20/20 11:57 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/20/20 09:53 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: If it's as good as I imagine it is, it'll be a wonderful meal for winter.

Does sound like it!

It is a Google image. I'm going to give it a whirl today.

BBS Signature

At 10/20/20 03:48 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
At 10/20/20 11:57 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:

Does sound like it!
It is a Google image. I'm going to give it a whirl today.

Nice. Personalized picture coming soon hmm! Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 16:41:54

At 10/20/20 04:19 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Nice. Personalized picture coming soon hmm! Good luck!

Step one: Very very important that this step not be skipped.

iu_183155_1809211.jpg

Also step two: Kind of important.

iu_183156_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 17:53:46

Next phase, before combining them and putting them in the oven.

iu_183193_1809211.jpg

iu_183192_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 18:58:36

At 10/20/20 04:41 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Step one: Very very important that this step not be skipped.

Nice. XD

Could be like drunken boxing but with cooking hmm, ideally you loosen up your muscles and senses to the point both reaction speed and precision drastically increases, all the while the mind dims, and you cook more so by reaction and muscle memory than by careful and calculated decision.

The results may be unexpected, but with a large enough amount of training beforehand possibly both faster and better than any a meal a mere mortal may provide! The subconscious is a powerful force after all!!!

Also step two: Kind of important.

Really delivering on those pictures here. :) Fun to follow.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-20 20:38:03

The final result. May have reduced the sauce a touch too much, buy the flavor was there, and not as salty as I was expecting with a sauce that brown.

Gonna chalk it up in the win section.

iu_183277_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

At 10/20/20 08:38 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: The final result. May have reduced the sauce a touch too much, buy the flavor was there, and not as salty as I was expecting with a sauce that brown.

Nice. It does look somewhat less saucy than that earlier Google image, but prepped like a pro! You just might be the first person to post the whole cooking sequence like this too...

Feels almost like following a livestream.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-21 07:30:53

At 10/21/20 04:54 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/20/20 08:38 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: The final result. May have reduced the sauce a touch too much, buy the flavor was there, and not as salty as I was expecting with a sauce that brown.

Nice. It does look somewhat less saucy than that earlier Google image, but prepped like a pro! You just might be the first person to post the whole cooking sequence like this too...

Feels almost like following a livestream.

I should start a cooking Youtube channel. It'll just be me, pouring myself glasses of wine, stirring a pot of water with a wooden spoon when the stove top isn't even on. I'll need some guests for the show too.

Next time I make it, I think I'll use a casserole dish for when the chicken is in the oven. That Dutch oven was a wee bit crowded.

BBS Signature

At 10/21/20 07:30 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: I should start a cooking Youtube channel. It'll just be me, pouring myself glasses of wine, stirring a pot of water with a wooden spoon when the stove top isn't even on. I'll need some guests for the show too.

Steve-O maybe? :P He was just on Gordon Ramsey's one...

Totally unrelated but I'm getting reminded of this old thing: https://youtu.be/C8Wu3Bps9ic

Find a niche or new personality and the possibilities are endless! Sounds like your idea just might be pretty solid entertainment... if you for some reason do get inspired to pursue this no-cooking cooking idea with potential drinking recommendations on the side...

Next time I make it, I think I'll use a casserole dish for when the chicken is in the oven. That Dutch oven was a wee bit crowded.

Ah. Still though, turned out solid.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-28 10:32:41

Makin a chili. I'll hit you up with a recipe when I serve it or something.

iu_186498_741767.jpg

iu_186499_741767.jpg

Is just the same spice mix from the fajita recipe with some beans and some tomato

At 10/28/20 10:32 AM, AcidX wrote: Makin a chili. I'll hit you up with a recipe when I serve it or something.

Is just the same spice mix from the fajita recipe with some beans and some tomato

Nice. Looks spicy!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-28 17:27:33

At 10/28/20 12:06 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/28/20 10:32 AM, AcidX wrote: Makin a chili. I'll hit you up with a recipe when I serve it or something.

Nice. Looks spicy!

And perfect on a chilly day.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-28 20:30:34

I feel like steak and potatoes tonight.

iu_186713_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-28 21:18:05

The finished product. Fleur de sel and pepper to finish.

iu_186721_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-28 21:27:13

At 10/28/20 09:25 PM, Peaceblossom wrote:
At 10/28/20 09:18 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: The finished product. Fleur de sel and pepper to finish.
Looking good, steak is always a solid choice.

I made some burritos tonight.

Greek salad on the side?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-29 06:19:15

At 10/28/20 09:18 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: And perfect on a chilly day.

lmao XD

Salt and pepper flour hmm, would that be an actual brand/special spice or: fine salt and pepper? Learning new things here...

At 10/28/20 09:25 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: I made some burritos tonight.

Looks hella fresh too.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-29 07:32:30

At 10/29/20 06:19 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Salt and pepper flour hmm, would that be an actual brand/special spice or: fine salt and pepper? Learning new things here...

No it's an actual sea salt, but it's kind of special. They'll have a basin for producing sea salt, and normally salt will crystallize and fall to the bottom as the sea water evaporates, but fleur de sel will form as a film on top, and has to be harvested before the water evaporates completely. It has a higher moisture content than regular sea salt, and I find it to be a softer salty taste as well, so I use it for seasoning too, which would probably make real chefs shake their heads.

I think I paid about $15 for the container, and for the amount of salt I actually use, it's not really an added expense.

I learned about it after watching the docuseries Salt Fat Acid Heat this year. It's one of the top 5 food shows I've watched.

iu_186862_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature