00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Drake-Stevenson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Radio Support and Feedback

23,880 Views | 167 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2021-11-12 19:51:39

At 11/5/21 02:05 AM, BrentHeMan wrote:
At 11/5/21 01:56 AM, Kiyan1159 wrote: So the lads and I can listen to NGRadio without having a browser open. Fairly simple.
Oh I see! Will consider it. I've made a Discord bot before and know just how to do this.

I will love you forever if you made this. I asked two years ago here because I thought I'd do it, and entirely spaced it in my boomerness.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2021-12-18 13:13:07

GNOME Rhythmbox plugin when??

Your (former) resident furfag on NG!

"SHAMWOW IS NOT OXYCLEAN, A DOG IS NOT A BROTHER. HOW DARE YOU SHRUG CLYDE'S LOSS OFF SO EASILY." ~ Billy Mays

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-02-15 10:45:40

At 7/23/16 05:42 PM, BrentHeMan wrote: You can post any problems or feedback you have with radio here. I intend to post updates to radio here, so you can favorite this thread if you'd like to see those.

Hi, thanks for the post.

Is there a way to filter songs like the following one from appearing in the 'Easy Listening' station?

I don't think that one fits the rest of the station at all.

Thanks!

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-04-11 21:22:33

The ability to skip to the next track, shuffle and repeat

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-04-12 12:48:21

At 4/11/22 09:22 PM, Geekygami wrote: The ability to skip to the next track, shuffle and repeat

the ability to shuffle a randomly generated playlist that you can't see.

Isn't that abit redundant?

I make Voxel art in 16 and 32 bit styles from sprite sheets, because voxels are cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-04-12 16:36:55

At 4/12/22 12:48 PM, Joykillz wrote:
At 4/11/22 09:22 PM, Geekygami wrote: The ability to skip to the next track, shuffle and repeat

Either way, just being able to skip to the next song would be good

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-04-12 17:36:04

At 4/12/22 04:36 PM, Geekygami wrote:
At 4/12/22 12:48 PM, Joykillz wrote:
Either way, just being able to skip to the next song would be good

Agreed, there is some unsavory attempts at music.

I make Voxel art in 16 and 32 bit styles from sprite sheets, because voxels are cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 03:58:25

I set the radio to rock and the second song was a sexual roleplay not rock. What's up with that?

Had to change it to heavy metal and the song choice was far better.

I love art and drawings!!!!!!!!

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 04:12:48

At 6/26/22 03:58 AM, Mimiis07 wrote: I set the radio to rock and the second song was a sexual roleplay not rock. What's up with that?

I just hope this is an error on the radio's side and not a gross miss categorization of audio.

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 04:20:29

At 6/26/22 04:12 AM, Joykillz wrote:
At 6/26/22 03:58 AM, Mimiis07 wrote: I set the radio to rock and the second song was a sexual roleplay not rock. What's up with that?
I just hope this is an error on the radio's side and not a gross miss categorization of audio.

It was marked as pop but there was no instruments just talking suductively and moaning. It's rated M even though the title says it's 18+ means it should be rated A.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 04:34:18

The amount of songs are too limited I often finding myself listening to the same song minutes later, that's not very good. The bot needs to be altered a bit to only repeat the same song every 5 or 6 hours and have more variety so that same song might play once and it repeated after 5 months or longer or something.

There's over 20 years worth of songs in the library.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 15:37:04

At 6/26/22 04:34 AM, Mimiis07 wrote: The amount of songs are too limited I often finding myself listening to the same song minutes later

What station? Some have more tracks than others.

Sometimes people mis-label their tracks and it gets on the wrong station too.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 15:49:29

At 6/26/22 04:20 AM, Mimiis07 wrote:
At 6/26/22 04:12 AM, Joykillz wrote:
It was marked as pop but there was no instruments just talking suductively and moaning. It's rated M even though the title says it's 18+ means it should be rated A.

uugh, gross mis categorization.

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 17:24:06

Found the sexual roleplay that played on the radio solely because it was rated M

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-26 22:59:34

That sexual BSDM shit is still playing on the radio even after it was re-rated to "A" on the rock radio. I want to rock on not feel uncomfortable after listening to shit I'm too young to even listen to.

I'm just upset because it hasn't been removed after it re-rated to "A".

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-27 13:04:03

At 6/26/22 10:59 PM, Mimiis07 wrote: That sexual BSDM shit is still playing on the radio

Is it the same track or different tracks? It takes about a day for the playlists to update.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-28 02:43:32

At 6/27/22 01:04 PM, BrentHeMan wrote:
At 6/26/22 10:59 PM, Mimiis07 wrote: That sexual BSDM shit is still playing on the radio
Is it the same track or different tracks? It takes about a day for the playlists to update.

The same track, but I think it's gone now and I never have to worry about it ever again. I hope something that happens with a similar adult track ever happens again.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-06-28 12:36:50

At 6/28/22 02:43 AM, Mimiis07 wrote: The same track, but I think it's gone now and I never have to worry about it ever again. I hope something that happens with a similar adult track ever happens again.

It will probably happen again. Please report the track here.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-07-01 20:37:13

This "A" rated song appeared in the rock station, is the radio set to all ratings, if so I'm unable to listen to it because I have very little children inside my house. "T" and "M" rated songs the vulgar language could be muffled and the topics might go right through a child's head but this song is a straight up BDSM sexual roleplay described in an uncomfortable amount of detail.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-07-02 13:41:16

At 7/1/22 08:37 PM, Mimiis07 wrote: This "A" rated song appeared in the rock station

When? Just recently?

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-07-02 14:03:42

At 7/1/22 08:37 PM, Mimiis07 wrote: This "A" rated song appeared in the rock station

Looks like I don't filter out A rated. I will start doing that now! Thanks for letting me know.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-07-05 17:40:59

I've filtered adult content off radio now. Let us know here if you find any other adult tracks that were misrated.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-08-05 10:35:23

At 11/4/21 01:18 AM, Kiyan1159 wrote: Is there a functional NewGrounds radio bot? Kinda missing the music since Rythm and all the other Discord music bots got swatted by Google.

i made a newgrounds radio discord bot a few months ago, i dont want to advertise it since the last time i talked here was 2 years ago, but i think its on my profile page somewhere

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-05 20:15:55

What happened to the station selection? Now I'm only getting a playlist from NG's podcast channel. I kind of miss my rock station mix.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-06 09:10:48

At 9/5/22 08:15 PM, Pokeman2003 wrote: What happened to the station selection? Now I'm only getting a playlist from NG's podcast channel. I kind of miss my rock station mix.

We combined all the stations into one (except podcasts). We also added the ability for people to live stream, which is probably what you heard.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-07 16:30:12

At 9/6/22 09:10 AM, BrentHeMan wrote:
At 9/5/22 08:15 PM, Pokeman2003 wrote: What happened to the station selection? Now I'm only getting a playlist from NG's podcast channel. I kind of miss my rock station mix.
We combined all the stations into one (except podcasts). We also added the ability for people to live stream, which is probably what you heard.

Man, that's disappointing. I really liked the stations system. Seemed like the best of both worlds. Also, the radio seems to disproportionately favor live streaming. Ah well, thanks for the message!

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-08 07:44:20

One thing that could be neat, could be changing the browser tab name to the name of the currently playing song (if it'd be possible of course).

That could be useful for when you hear something cool while it's not on the main tab, without needing to go back to it to check what the song is called.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-08 10:43:02

At 9/8/22 07:44 AM, CrystalClod wrote: One thing that could be neat, could be changing the browser tab name to the name of the currently playing song (if it'd be possible of course).

That might be possible! I'll check into it.

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-13 02:50:06

I'm gonna write a bit of a lengthy thing about the radio, but I'll try and make points clear and categorized so it isn't a total pain to read, and so that my ramblings can be skipped. It's a mix of comments, feedback, and ideas! My goal is to think realistically, but I really have no idea how long these things take to implement or how important they are. I get passionate about Newgrounds when I come off my ADD meds.

My thoughts:

I love the radio a ton, and I really love that it is a part of the site. I really wish it had some broader appeal though! It would be really cool if there were more incentive to use it in the way of functionality. I think that can be done without sacrificing the simplicity and goals of the service. I really think the radio could be a cool place for everyone to visit, and totally has potential to be a more popular part of the site. I always hope to see more listeners on there, but I rarely see more than 2-5 (maybe I just use it at bad times). I do think there are a lot more than 2-3 people using Newgrounds to relax and listen music at any given moment though (maybe hundreds or more!), and I don't think the issue is that people don't really want it enough.

What the radio is, and what it could be (feedback):

The Newgrounds Radio, as it is today, is a service that allows users to listen to a stream of curated music and shows curated by the folks at the Newgrounds Podcast (and sometimes random tracks). It does that job very well, but not much else. From a user's perspective, if you're not a fan of today's playlist or genre, you're out of luck. If a user is looking to use NGR as a way to reliably listen to dubstep tracks from the community, you're out of luck. In fact, if you're not big on lofi, hip hop or pop tunes, you probably only have a couple (or one or none) days out of the month to listen to those genres on the radio. Additionally, at least with the way it works right now, you can't even see the name of the track that is currently streaming. Just the playlist.

All this being said, as the radio is not an incredibly popular feature, I understand why that doesn't really matter. It is a way for users who enjoy Newgrounds and the NGP to enjoy those things in an easy way. I do think that creating options for users is a good thing though, and reducing them just creates less use-cases! Personally, I see NGR as a really good resource not only for music listeners, but curators as well as musicians as a platform to share music. I do think the folks posting to the audio portal would really get a kick out of the radio if there were some extra features. Hopefully none that require any sort of overhaul.

New stations (feature idea):

It could be really cool to see stations return, but in a different way than before. There was always the issue of the radio being a little bit of a gamble. You never knew what exactly was going to play, even on your selected station. Some people may have liked it for that though, and the current random station should absolutely stay! I do think it would be really nice to have a station that plays through an assortment of the previous day's (or week's) top rated tracks or something though. That way, the music being played is relevant, and already assured high quality! It could also be cool to have the prior day's/week's frontpaged and/or popular tracks on a station as well.

User-made stations (feature idea):

Instead of having stations playing Newgrounds' tags, it would be really cool to give users the ability to create stations and add music to them. An issue I have with Newgrounds genre tags is that while there are a lot of them, they still cover a pretty narrow and niche spectrum. With the option to create a station, users can share their own curations that fit any niche, narrow or broad. This feature would be a godsend for users who want to hear a stream of the music they like, but isn't clearly labeled in any way. I could see some sort of crazy new music scene cropping up out of that.

If there is a question of whether or not a feature like this would be worthwhile, there have been sites dedicated to online DJing for a long time. I used to use Turntable.fm back in the day, but there are many other more widely-used alternatives out there too. They all revolve around the concept of community music sharing. Allowing other users to contribute to your station would bring NGR more in line with those platforms, as well as help fill out stations more too.

Community station (feature idea):

If user-made stations would be more trouble than it's worth, and too far a deviation from what the radio is supposed to be, this is an alternative idea. I imagine there'd be a lot of moving parts to implement user-made stations, and admittedly, takes a bit away from the simplicity factor. I'm also under the impression that track lists are generated on the day, and not in real-time. If that is the case, then this idea works much better.

A single community station would be really cool! If users can submit a Newgrounds music link to put it into the track list for a day or week or whatever's right. That way, it still feels like a radio station, but all the tracks are called in, so to speak. I think this provides incentive for people to listen, not only to hear the track they submitted, but to hear what the community is listening to as well. It'd also be a platform for musicians to share their own music.

Final thoughts:

I've spewed a lot. I think the main thing I wanna get across is that I think the radio could be much more than it is, even if it's not trying to be much. It may require some big work if it ever wanted to be an entire reason people come to the site, but I do think it could be! And if that's not the goal, I do think it could at least be more useful to the people that use the site already, especially the people that come for the music. The radio is underrated, and frankly, really cool. It's not popular, but it is certainly in line with what makes Newgrounds what it is, and that's fantastic on its own.

I would love to see the radio get some more attention though. It really could be a gamechanger I think!

TL;DR:

• The radio is a wonderful thing, and I think it could be much more popular with users.
  • The radio is incredibly barebones, and that may contribute to the unpopularity.
  • Lacking any kind of control. What you get is what you get.
  • The radio could benefit from some sort of community interaction.

Ideas:

• Bring back the stations! (Don't force live feed)
  • A station of the previous day's top-rated tracks. (Top 50? 100? Whatever fills a station)
  • A station of the previous week's frontpaged tracks
  • Allow users to 'dj' or curate their own stations (?)
  • Allow the community to curate a station

All done! Thanks for reading this mess

BBS Signature

Response to Radio Support and Feedback 2022-09-13 12:37:09

At 9/13/22 02:50 AM, ZaneLittle wrote: All done! Thanks for reading this mess

Lots of great ideas here to consider, some of which we've discussed already. Radio is still very bare bones for sure but we'll be fleshing it out over the coming months.

Thanks for the input!