00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video

10,793 Views | 36 Replies
Respond to this Topic

First off, thank you for all the kind words about NG this weekend and thank you everyone who has become a Supporter!

On Friday morning, kaptainkristian (YouTuber) posted an amazing video about Newgrounds that summed up the site better than I've ever been able to. It was a top trending video on YouTube and got a lot of attention on Twitter as well as hitting the front page of Reddit.

I made a post about the video and emphasized how much NG depends on support from the community, in particular subscriptions to our Supporter system. Our supporter count began to skyrocket as fans old and new were coming in and getting inspired to help NG.

Then the real difficult question came up... Do we still launch our April Fools gag at midnight? We had a gag planned where NG switched to 100% renewable solar energy but it involved a message popping up, telling people they were running out of power and asking them to aim their monitor at the sun. The screen then faded to black and shut down the site. The original incarnation was actually super trollish and would have rendered the site mostly useless for the day. @PsychoGoldfish put some quick changes in place, adding an actual "April Fools!" message and a cookie so it wouldn't happen endlessly. We probably should have planned it that way all along and the end result didn't seem to make anyone too upset. Who knows though, maybe we lost tons of potential new fans. Maybe it gained some too though.

We also use a word filter whenever April Fools rolls around, so anyone who tries to acknowledge the joke ends up making a bunch of weird references to the theme - in case you noticed lots of people talking about revolutions of the earth, basking in the glory of the sun yesterday. The filters don't get baked into the text in the database so all those posts are back to normal and boring now.

ANYWAY this post is mostly to bump my Praise the Sun post off the front page. I'll have more news in the coming days, as well as the Best of March.

Oh and to answer some common questions from people who haven't been to the site in a long time:

1) You may noticed some pages of a textured design while others have a more flat design. The flat design is our new "transitional" layout, meant to look a lot like the old layout but with new HTML and CSS that adapts well to mobile screens. We're rolling this out one page at a time instead of trying to do one giant update, like the massive 2007 and 2012 redesigns.

2) No NG doesn't depend solely on Flash like the old days and we have adapted to MP4 video (with an html5 player) and html5 games. We even created free software that does best-ever SWF to video conversion, so that we can preserve classic content and make it work on mobile. Most of the animation you see on YouTube has been using this all along.

3) Yes the Audio Portal does still use an SWF audio player but has an alternate for mobile and will be getting replaced when those pages switch to the new layout. If you want to see something cool, go here and click the thumbnail for the first song on the list. It will play in-page with an html5 player and will play through the entire list, even on your phone. If you follow musicians on NG, you can do the same thing on your audio feed.

Thank you again to everyone who has become a Supporter! This sort of response fills me with hope for the future of NG. I've added a $2k stretch goal for April to cover the Pico Day prize money, the same as last year but this year we might actually hit it, which would be awesome.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 10:00:52

That play feature on the audio portal playlist is really cool, can't wait to see the new player fully implemented.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 10:02:05

Glad to see the supporter goals being hit. I became a supporter myself a short while ago after using the website for so long. I definitely feel like it's worth the money so I'd encourage everybody who hasn't done so and has some expendable income to donate something even if it's small.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 10:30:16

@cecameron tried to go check her messages on NG first thing after waking up.
In the midst of still being half asleep she didin't realise it was April 1st and the look of confusion on her face was priceless.
Great goof 10/10

That video was hella inspirational, id definitely nails what makes NG so special
Also, i can't believe SuperFlashBros are making games for Nintendo now... daaamn!

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 11:57:30

At 4/2/17 10:59 AM, stretchypants123 wrote: I feel that Newgrounds is one of the most unique sites out there. i.e. it stands apart from deviant even though it also shares artwork. Newgrounds tho, shares ideas. It's more of a mind-meld.

I feel like Newgrounds could be more awesome if you throw a kegger on pico day. See u there

Inb4first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 12:15:46

ok this is all fine and dandy but how could you just bump my boy @tonfulp 's artwork off the frontpage?

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 14:32:37

You really had me going there xD lol. i thought my computer is gonna get the black screen of death forever i was shocked.

Actually took a few seconds before I caught on to this one. :) Keeping it creative! Will be hard to top last year's mini game thing... if that was last year, but this was pretty cool.

Awesome news about the video too! Would be insane if that 25K goal's actually reached thanks to this new traffic. Really feels like it'd be more motivating with more tiers on the way there though - ones that unlock as they're reached so it always feels like the next goal's not that far away.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 18:16:06

now i sound stupid xD
also what if you guys actually switched to solar panels?

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 18:55:46

That was, by far, the best April Fools prank I'd encountered on any website I visited all day. Keep up the good work!

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 20:39:44

Ah that video on NG was really inspiring. The guy has a good narrator voice :P

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-02 22:54:39

thx for the update
fun april fools
but a @bit anoying

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 01:27:11

So excited to see new users joining!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 07:12:58

Good luck on future endeavors I will be here for the next 20 years.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 13:52:08

Great news!

I haven't been here on a while, does the drop down menus below the header are disabled, or gone forever?

Sincerely.

(Not a native english speaker)

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 14:09:55

At 4/3/17 01:52 PM, Noisy wrote: Great news!

I haven't been here on a while, does the drop down menus below the header are disabled, or gone forever?

They are intended to be gone forever in the new layout - let me know if there is something in particular that you miss / can't find.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 16:34:08

Thanks for that link. I haven't gotten around to watching that video yet, but I certainly will be sharing it!

April Fools gag got a couple chuckles out of me and was super cute, if not a little annoying when it happened multiple times on my phone while I was out and about.

Very excited to see and hear new and oldsters flocking back to NG, as well as new supporters!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 18:39:31

forgive enlgish im rushia. This site very good i like, the comyonity here is so amazeng i like very much, i play a lot games like flash. I really like newgraunds and better than gamesheep but not friv coz friiv too good. I r8 8/9.

But on a serious note tho, nice job keeping up the site for so long, m8. IK my acc is pretty new but I've been browsing for years with no acc (cuz i was lazy af) and i played a lotta games here growing up.

(PS: Hope the 'rushia' thing doesn't count as racism. But tbh it wont be the first time i get banned on my first week)

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-03 19:27:45

ah! this was a really good april fool's joke, i enjoyed it alot...
''everyone should praise the sun!''
-solaire of astora

(also the ''NG got bought by china'' joke was excellent as well, not to mention the ''we've been bought from mr trump in a YOOGE deal''joke... you often create perfect april fool's pranks... and this year was no different. keep amazing us, mr tom!)

also the updates are good, and i hope that the site will keep moving forward.

Maybe this is a wake up call - people have forgotten NG, but they haven't lost any love for it. Maybe you just need some advertising to bring people back. I don't even mean paid advertising, just some kind of viral reminders. Like, make a tank man series that references some recent things on NG that people have missed out on or something. Or maybe a "Heroes of the portal" DOTA type game from behemoth. I'd totally be down to do some 3D modeling/animating for it. Maybe it could be a site-wide project.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-04 00:07:43

Yo, Tom! I'm wondering how I download tracks using the HTML5 player on the site!
I can't see the button.

At 4/3/17 07:27 PM, Kajenx wrote: Maybe this is a wake up call - people have forgotten NG, but they haven't lost any love for it. Maybe you just need some advertising to bring people back. I don't even mean paid advertising, just some kind of viral reminders. Like, make a tank man series that references some recent things on NG that people have missed out on or something. Or maybe a "Heroes of the portal" DOTA type game from behemoth. I'd totally be down to do some 3D modeling/animating for it. Maybe it could be a site-wide project.

I think this suggestion should be taken pretty seriously. A lot of other sites like kong etc go into partnership with indies to make games, which is cool and would be great if newgrounds did something similar, but this idea is something different. A community project, released under the behemoth studio name, where all proceeds go to keeping newgrounds afloat :D

I think a game as big as DOTA however is a very big first step. If we really wanted to make community games for behemoth we should start small to prove it can be done. Even a simple tower defense game that mobile and web compatible to get started to prove we can hold together and manage a project. We would need to move the development from newgrounds however to something like slack/discord for communication. And then use a project management system to control the project, like jira. Create a bunch of issues for everything that needs to be done in the game, e.g make music track x, draw animate character y, code the logic to do z etc, that way people can pick tasks off the backlog and do them piece by piece. that would be cool. that would make it a relaxed environment, so if someone picks off a task but changes their mind they just return the task to the backlog and someone else can pick it up.

the site has a lot of content creators who are just hobbyists, like myself, and would love to contribute to a game that would be released by a studio, without having to work in the industry with the crazy hours and pressure that come with it.

this thread will probably die, and i will probably be ignored, but I think this sites users are an untapped gold mine for newgrounds. I know there would be legal mubojumbo to sort out, like making contributors agree that their work is property of NG, and all revenue would also go to supporting NG etc. but I would be ok with that :D

Imagine if you had even 5 free hobbyist developers @TomFulp ! imagine the amount of work we could get done at no cost to NG. Lol what a crazy idea :D

That video was amazing and honestly inspiring (seeing as Im trying to learn Animate myself lol) but it also just I guess refueled (not that it was ever lacking) my passion and love for this amazing site. Though Ive been a fan since those early days I never joined or was part of the community till the past 2-3 years as a Voice Actor.

I cant thank @TomFulp and his team enough for keeping Newgrounds well Newgrounds. This site has introduced me to some amazingly talented people and I have been so proud to be a part of this site, this community and the projects I have been so lucky to be a part of!

Thank you Newgrounds for everything...by everyone! ^_^ <3

At 4/3/17 07:27 PM, Kajenx wrote: Maybe this is a wake up call - people have forgotten NG, but they haven't lost any love for it. Maybe you just need some advertising to bring people back. I don't even mean paid advertising, just some kind of viral reminders. Like, make a tank man series that references some recent things on NG that people have missed out on or something. Or maybe a "Heroes of the portal" DOTA type game from behemoth. I'd totally be down to do some 3D modeling/animating for it. Maybe it could be a site-wide project.

@PhantomArcade3000 and @IvanAlmighty have actually set up workstations at the office and they're working on a successor to "This Week on Newgrounds" but with animated characters and whatnot... The current idea is "This Month on Newgrounds." Excited to see where it goes.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-04 08:28:00

At 4/4/17 12:07 AM, JJMAJR wrote: Yo, Tom! I'm wondering how I download tracks using the HTML5 player on the site!
I can't see the button.

Artists can disable downloads on individual songs so that might be what you're running into. Are you browsing on mobile and you're on the listen page for the individual song?

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-04 08:46:46

At 4/4/17 08:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: @PhantomArcade3000 and @IvanAlmighty have actually set up workstations at the office and their working on a successor to "This Week on Newgrounds" but with animated characters and whatnot... The current idea is "This Month on Newgrounds." Excited to see where it goes.

Oh that's so cool! I was wondering what happened to this week on newgrounds. You guys should try recruiting the event video guy. He had some really well made transitions and animations.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-04 11:13:46

At 4/4/17 08:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/4/17 12:07 AM, JJMAJR wrote: Yo, Tom! I'm wondering how I download tracks using the HTML5 player on the site!
I can't see the button.
Artists can disable downloads on individual songs so that might be what you're running into. Are you browsing on mobile and you're on the listen page for the individual song?

I can't see the download button for Chaoz Fantasy when I click on the thumbnail. I know that this piece can be downloaded because that I have downloaded this piece of music before.

The flash version still has this feature but not the HTML5 version, the one that doesn't go to the individual page for the song.

Also I would like to ask if the HTML5 version would lose the visualizations that the flash version currently has. It would suck if that was the case though.

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-04 11:21:02

At 4/4/17 11:13 AM, JJMAJR wrote: Also I would like to ask if the HTML5 version would lose the visualizations that the flash version currently has. It would suck if that was the case though.

HTML5 player won't match the visualizations currently in the Flash version. It will be pretty simple to start with but have ideas to make it more interesting down the line.

BBS Signature

Man, Construct3 is really growing on me! I thought with Flash dying I won't have any future as a webgame designer but now I can do Html5 games! Without Newgrounds and @TomFulp I think I wouldn't have tried Constract3. So, thanks a lot and stay tuned for my upcoming Html5 games!

Response to Post-April Fools Stuff & NG Video 2017-04-04 13:33:41

At 4/4/17 01:15 PM, Wiesi wrote: Man, Construct3 is really growing on me! I thought with Flash dying I won't have any future as a webgame designer but now I can do Html5 games! Without Newgrounds and @TomFulp I think I wouldn't have tried Constract3. So, thanks a lot and stay tuned for my upcoming Html5 games!

They took a huge ambitious risk with making the software itself run in a browser but I think it's gonna have a big impact in terms of the number of people who will try it, not to mention all the Chromebooks and whatnot that can't install software. They have a lot in the works, too - this is a good read:

https://www.scirra.com/blog

Plus you'll be able to download a desktop version.

BBS Signature