00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HugeNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO!

35,832 Views | 87 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Nice. Looking forward to what awesome adventures on the theme of three sums this jam may spawn!

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-17 13:29:45

WASSUP

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-19 00:48:38

Cool! I am new to NG, and I love the ideas of competitions you guys come up with!
Looking forward to see what unique ideas the people of NG will put forward!

P.S. If you need any music or something for your project, contact me in a personal message.

At 5/16/17 01:26 AM, TheOverGhoul wrote: Hmm... feels like the rewards kind of kind of decreased... i remember last time the first place prize that Scirra offered was an Xbox ONE and plenty more when now it's just a one year subscription, i wonder what happened there.

What happened is Construct, just like Unity before it, moved from a "buy it and you own it" model to a "rent your tools from us forever" model. The prize feels bad because there's no good-feeling prize to be had.

Construct 3, just like Unity, is no longer a boon to indies. It's an obligation to make your game profitable. It's a monthly interest payment on a loan you can never fully pay off. It's a liability. It's Red Ink.

If you win this contest, and it takes you more than a year to make your first commercial game, you'll have to start paying for your prize out-of-pocket.

That's why the prize feels bad. Because it's basically a bad prize.

Use at your own risk.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-19 18:44:33

I just found out that CodeDay, where I'll be mentoring this weekend, will be using Construct 3 for the "intro to coding" workshop, which is really exciting! I'll be sure to try to encourage students to submit their work to this.

At 5/19/17 04:37 AM, WarpZone wrote: Construct 3, just like Unity, is no longer a boon to indies. It's an obligation to make your game profitable. It's a monthly interest payment on a loan you can never fully pay off. It's a liability. It's Red Ink.

If you win this contest, and it takes you more than a year to make your first commercial game, you'll have to start paying for your prize out-of-pocket.

Use at your own risk.

I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a more of a prize too, but I don't think this is a bad model. Think about it from the creators of the tool's side: a subscription model allows you to lower the cost of your tool and spend more time supporting more developers, as opposed to making most of your money from the smaller pool of developers willing to shell out the upfront cost of buying the program. Plus you get to continually improve your software, so developers can make better games.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-19 19:23:22

At 5/19/17 04:37 AM, WarpZone wrote:
What happened is Construct, just like Unity before it, moved from a "buy it and you own it" model to a "rent your tools from us forever" model. The prize feels bad because there's no good-feeling prize to be had.

Construct 3, just like Unity, is no longer a boon to indies. It's an obligation to make your game profitable. It's a monthly interest payment on a loan you can never fully pay off. It's a liability. It's Red Ink.

Use at your own risk.

I believe that it's a good business model, mutually. Let us observe the following case:

If your games become popular and in demand, then when technology moves on, you'll want to move your games to the new technology.

And if Construct had been behind by months and was discontinued suddenly, then it would most likely be costly to reproduce those games, especially for new technology.

Someone has to develop new features and update Construct, continuously. So it's a symbiotic relationship.

I would only have one recommendation: provide complete access to students with .edu email accounts (for non-commercial use), if it wouldn't be too costly on resources. That's also a good addition to the business model. Allow students to get used to, and master, the full product and that's what they'll want when they join/start their future companies.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-19 20:32:51

Where are folks documenting the work they are doing for the C3 game jam? It's always good and inspiring to see Work in Progress, get suggestions, collaborate, etc.

I am doing a short devlog on the Scirra site, but I imagine that people also routinely document game jam WIP here, I am just not seeing anything yet.

Any pointers?

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-20 09:13:34

At 5/19/17 06:44 PM, OmarShehata wrote: I just found out that CodeDay, where I'll be mentoring this weekend, will be using Construct 3 for the "intro to coding" workshop, which is really exciting! I'll be sure to try to encourage students to submit their work to this.

That's awesome! I think a lot of people underestimate the impact of Construct 3 working completely in a web browser. Schools can teach game dev with nothing more than a Chromebook, while also getting students into things like cloud drives for saving their work. This is bringing game dev to millions of people around the world who probably never would have had access otherwise.

As for the prize - this was originally intended to be a one week jam so we were treating it more like Ludum Dare, where it's more about the thrill of making something vs competing for a prize.

Down the road I would love to host a one or two month C3 Jam, which is more in line with the Construct jams we've hosted previously. Maybe then we'd do more with prizes.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-20 09:15:43

At 5/19/17 08:32 PM, MikalDev wrote: Where are folks documenting the work they are doing for the C3 game jam? It's always good and inspiring to see Work in Progress, get suggestions, collaborate, etc.

I am doing a short devlog on the Scirra site, but I imagine that people also routinely document game jam WIP here, I am just not seeing anything yet.

Any pointers?

So far I've just seen stuff scattered around Twitter and a little bit in the Game Dev Forum. I would love to see more posts in the game dev forum.

We have larger plans that will utilize user page blogs and public pages for not-yet-published projects, similar to a section of the site called "Alphas" we had many years ago, but with the ability to follow projects and get ongoing updates. That will be handy for future jams.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-20 11:10:27

At 5/20/17 09:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: That's awesome! I think a lot of people underestimate the impact of Construct 3 working completely in a web browser. Schools can teach game dev with nothing more than a Chromebook, while also getting students into things like cloud drives for saving their work. This is bringing game dev to millions of people around the world who probably never would have had access otherwise.

I think you're completely right! That is precisely why I've been so drawn to PlayCanvas even if it's not the best as a game engine, because (a) runs completely in the browser and (b) two or more people can work simultaneously in the same project and collaborate very easily.

As for the prize - this was originally intended to be a one week jam so we were treating it more like Ludum Dare, where it's more about the thrill of making something vs competing for a prize.

Down the road I would love to host a one or two month C3 Jam, which is more in line with the Construct jams we've hosted previously. Maybe then we'd do more with prizes.

I think that's very fair. Ludum Dare is great because you know you'll be getting thoughtful and constructive feedback from your peers. Incentivizing that would be great. I second the idea of having a thread for posting WIPs and updates. It was really nice to have an official discussion thread for AustinBreed's game jams here.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-21 14:15:41

Artist looking for partner

PM if interested

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-22 04:34:35

At 5/19/17 07:23 PM, ptshorts wrote: I believe that it's a good business model, mutually. Let us observe the following case:

If your games become popular and in demand, then when technology moves on, you'll want to move your games to the new technology.

And if Construct had been behind by months and was discontinued suddenly, then it would most likely be costly to reproduce those games, especially for new technology.

Someone has to develop new features and update Construct, continuously. So it's a symbiotic relationship.

I would only have one recommendation: provide complete access to students with .edu email accounts (for non-commercial use), if it wouldn't be too costly on resources. That's also a good addition to the business model. Allow students to get used to, and master, the full product and that's what they'll want when they join/start their future companies.

It's a subscription. Like all subscriptions, it's a worse business model for the consumer than it is for the corporation. If it weren't worse for the consumer, all these businesses wouldn't be jumping from selling to renting.

The "just buy it" business model will always be better for the consumer than subscriptions. Look around your house. Look at all of the things you own. Now imagine if you were paying 9.99/month for each of them, or they'd instantly collapse into dust. How many of the things you thought you owned would you now not be able to afford under this new model? That's the future. And any product that buys into this trend of becoming a service is Part of the Problem.

The fact that this is a bad prize is an inevitable result of Construct 3's business model. I don't know whether Construct 3 is good or bad, I just know that subscriptions are inherently a liability for the consumer. That's why corporations love them so much. They get more money. Meaning consumers lose more money.

And I'll say it again: If you win this contest, and it takes you longer than a year to turn a profit, you will have to spend money maintaining your "prize." It's bullshit.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-23 07:56:51

Hello.

Can I release only demo-version of the game to earn license? I'm mad on details and don't like unpolished projects.
My project is pretty unique and not based on regular behaviors of C3 so I had to make my own cycle.

My project is a good example of what C3 is capable of and I plan on version for mobile platforms to show even more of it.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-23 09:09:13

At 5/23/17 07:56 AM, MikhailPD wrote: Can I release only demo-version of the game to earn license? I'm mad on details and don't like unpolished projects.
My project is pretty unique and not based on regular behaviors of C3 so I had to make my own cycle.

I think a really impressive demo would have a chance to win.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-23 10:10:23

I'll do my best, but will work towards releasing full version.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-25 16:11:03

At 5/19/17 04:37 AM, WarpZone wrote:

Use at your own risk.

Nice to see some other people telling the truth on here.

If you rent C3 you are giving away your right to edit your own games after a year unless you pay another hostage fee and if Scirra goes out of business (very likely) you are totally screwed.

Besides the fact Ashley and Tom lied to their base and never produced the exporters they advertised for C2 and were paid for.

Bad business run by liars!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-25 21:12:46

Hi, somebody knows if I can use graphics assets (CC License) from, for example, Opengameart ? I'm starting now and have no time for the "code" + the sprites! D:

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-26 08:53:51

At 5/25/17 09:12 PM, nax89 wrote: Hi, somebody knows if I can use graphics assets (CC License) from, for example, Opengameart ? I'm starting now and have no time for the "code" + the sprites! D:

You can use graphics from sources that provide free licenses.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-26 16:33:43

Turns out I'm speedrunning through gamedev!, here's a little sneak peek, I'm making a few DUCKS.

I do have a question, last time I checked, when opening the beta it shows that it won't be accessible after May 27, but the jam's deadline is May 28th at 11:59 PM EST, will it be available on May 28? ( @Scirra )

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-26 16:42:07

At 5/26/17 04:33 PM, Butzbo wrote: Turns out I'm speedrunning through gamedev!, here's a little sneak peek, I'm making a few DUCKS.

I do have a question, last time I checked, when opening the beta it shows that it won't be accessible after May 27, but the jam's deadline is May 28th at 11:59 PM EST, will it be available on May 28? ( @Scirra )

Excited to see you making something! I emailed Tom at Scirra about the question, to be sure everything goes smoothly there.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-26 20:35:14

Hey i have a question, is the 4th rule a resolution restriction for the jam?

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-26 21:40:54

At 5/26/17 08:35 PM, luizga wrote: Hey i have a question, is the 4th rule a resolution restriction for the jam?

we're making a portrait game for this jam

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-27 03:12:17

I almost run out of energy to finish my entry. Don't know if I will make it in time.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-27 18:42:52

At 5/16/17 10:20 AM, Scirra wrote:
At 5/15/17 10:53 PM, RadicalGames wrote: Notice that Tom and Ashley locked those forum topics because they had many of the base saying they don't want a subscription based Chrome engine at any price.
We do not lock topics because people don't like the direction we're going. First linked topic was by Lamar, a persistent troll who the community is relieved to see the back of.

The second topic was open for over 3 months, and Ashley has done a post explaining why it was closed in the last thread. There's still topics open discussing the direction we're going. We've always encouraged constructive open discussion for the 6 years we've been running for!

Back to the topic of the jam, looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! If you find any bugs, please do report them here:
https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs

And we'll squash them! Construct 3 still is in a beta so you can expect a few, but so far everything seems to be running pretty smoothly!

Hey Schirra I just want to let you know that in construct 2 when you want to move events around in the event sheet the event sheet would scroll. When I try to do that in construct 3 it doesn't scroll which makes it a little annoying to place events and actions were they should be. Its not a bug so I didn't put it in that category, but its just something I don't want you guys to forget, because its so small. It makes your engine easier to use. I'm not mad or anything I'm just saying i know you guys (and gals) have a lot of other things you have to work on that are bigger and badder than this issue, but please don't forget about this. really makes things easier.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-27 23:53:29

This is my submission for the gamejam. It's a tiny RPG that uses Peggle-like mechanics.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/694086

As a game designer myself, with minimal coding experience, Construct is really amazing to use. It allows me to make tiny silly games such as this one. Please don't judge the art too harshly! :P

You can see my other games at http://narF.itch.io Most of them are actually made in Construct too.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-28 11:49:31

At 5/27/17 03:12 AM, alfero wrote: I almost run out of energy to finish my entry. Don't know if I will make it in time.

Hope you can make it!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-28 13:53:20

So... I just submitted my finished game on the site, but all I get in the preview is a black screen, instead of the game. Help...

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-28 14:59:15

I solved it!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-28 15:47:58

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam is a GO! 2017-05-28 15:58:12

Just to be sure, how much time is left to submit your game?