00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LeDeter just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Other 3D and CGI artists

1,582 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-26 14:15:09

I am trying to find other people into CG on the site. Right now I basically type Blender related tags into the site and try to see who is active: a dumb way of finding people.

I know a pretty huge amount about blender and am happy to help people as well (if say you are just wanting to learn rather than having posts to show).

BUT PLEASE! let me get to know my fellow cg 3d blender maya users.

*if enough people talk here maybe we will move to a club. a newgrounds forum club not like a place we have raffles and sock hops. although i guess if people want that.

I podcast, make documentaries, cartoons, games and art. I also hate lawns. Love weasels. Am neutral on Snow Cones. I feel nothing about snow cones. Sometimes they are nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-26 14:17:02

this is my latest cg thing. let me see yours:

I podcast, make documentaries, cartoons, games and art. I also hate lawns. Love weasels. Am neutral on Snow Cones. I feel nothing about snow cones. Sometimes they are nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-27 03:58:20

I dabble in 3D a little. I'm a Blender guy. I mostly use 3D for things like props, backgrounds and perspective/shape guides.

iu_1061677_3945050.gif

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-27 05:51:04

At 8/27/23 03:58 AM, CzySzy wrote: I dabble in 3D a little. I'm a Blender guy. I mostly use 3D for things like props, backgrounds and perspective/shape guides.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/czyszy/guitar-3d

that's a cool idea. I know a lot of artists use 3d for reference and I never have. love this dog haha

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-27 17:14:53

I make 3d comics and renders about my characters.

iu_1062143_11413315.png

iu_1062144_11413315.png

I also made an animation too, just to test the waters.

I make comics checkout my Shuttle Switcher comic series ! And Ghost Galaxy as well!

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-27 17:29:31

At 8/27/23 05:14 PM, thepixelizer wrote: I make 3d comics and renders about my characters.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/thepixelizer/shuttle-switcher-foodie-fox-hole
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/thepixelizer/shuttle-switcher-keith-talk

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/882831

this is cool. big fan of un attached hands

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-27 18:57:16

At 8/27/23 05:29 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
At 8/27/23 05:14 PM, thepixelizer wrote: I make 3d comics and renders about my characters.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/thepixelizer/shuttle-switcher-foodie-fox-hole

Thanks! Believe it or not I actually rigged them with arms all except the yellow and red one Orbo.

I make comics checkout my Shuttle Switcher comic series ! And Ghost Galaxy as well!

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-28 00:19:08

At 8/27/23 06:57 PM, thepixelizer wrote:

Thanks! Believe it or not I actually rigged them with arms all except the yellow and red one Orbo.

oo cool did you remodel or just dissolve what you wanted to get rid of?

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-28 00:48:07

At 8/28/23 12:19 AM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
At 8/27/23 06:57 PM, thepixelizer wrote:

oo cool did you remodel or just dissolve what you wanted to get rid of?

No just gave the armature arms that connect to the hands. Even though there are no arm meshes to weight paint. Since the armature isn’t visible when rendering you can’t even tell.

Although that means the hands have a limit of how far they can reach.

For Orbo it’s the complete opposite since he only has hand bones and no arms.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-28 04:57:13

At 8/26/23 02:15 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote: I am trying to find other people into CG on the site. Right now I basically type Blender related tags into the site and try to see who is active: a dumb way of finding people.

I know a pretty huge amount about blender and am happy to help people as well (if say you are just wanting to learn rather than having posts to show).

*if enough people talk here maybe we will move to a club. a newgrounds forum club not like a place we have raffles and sock hops. although i guess if people want that.

Blender fan here !! i've been using blender for 3D game models and its 2D Grease Pencil for animation work. I rarely upload 3D art but let me join the club.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-28 10:54:50

At 8/28/23 04:57 AM, sadewoo wrote:
At 8/26/23 02:15 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote: I am trying to find other people into CG on the site. Right now I basically type Blender related tags into the site and try to see who is active: a dumb way of finding people.

Blender fan here !! i've been using blender for 3D game models and its 2D Grease Pencil for animation work. I rarely upload 3D art but let me join the club.

I love grease pencil. I did this waterfall cliff for a project. I'll add it here later today. if you watch my reel on my newgrounds movies you can see it for a second. WELCOME IN!

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-28 23:00:16

You will be pleased to know that I am actually using the Art forums to get design feedback that will hopefully improve my 3D Designs in B4Artists (a fork of Blender, and one I set to look and feel like Maya as much as possible since that is the "industry standard.")

Here is the link.

I may want to move to more 3D-specific forums like Blender Artists or Polycount once I get more comfortable with the fundamentals and want to compare my stuff with people actually working in Hollywood right now, but for now I think this 3D art thread is a decent way to network with the brilliant 2D concept artists here, and hopefully get to a point where I pay them to do designs and character sheets for me so that I can solely focus on implementing them in 3D.

Because let's be honest, if you want to do 3D art that is more polished and complicated than a few low-poly spheres and cones combined together with a basic rig to form a PS1-looking character, then it is a team effort, similar to developing GOOD indie games for the Game Portal or Steam. There is a good reason why the credits sequences for animated movies from Pixar, Dreamworks and Illumination are so insanely long, and even the straight-to-video stuff in Netflix's Kids section is also made by a team of hundreds--expensive-looking CG is made by numerous specialized working months or even years on a 3D asset you may not even be able to easily see in the final product.

I don't want to say this to discourage anyone, but this likely explains why it's so hard to find truly professional-looking art on NG, although I hope to be the one to raise the standard of 3D art on this site once I get more practice. Plus, to avoid burnout, especially if you don't have a large animation studio at your beck and call, there is no shame in keeping things extremely simple, so long as it lets you actually upload more finished projects and animations than if you spent years and years making your single character up to the standards of Hollywood, with fancy simulations and fur and the works, before FINALLY moving on to making the triple-A PlayStation 5-looking chair the character will sit on when you finally move on to animation 90 years from now. Especially now that lo-poly PS1/N64 graphics are in right now, and it is far easier and cheaper now to do lo-fi 3D in Blender than when the technology was brand-new.

Despite everything that has happened to the site since last December, ArtStation may still be the only place to find top-tier 3D artists.

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-08-29 10:42:43

At 8/28/23 11:00 PM, jthrash wrote: You will be pleased to know that I am actually using the Art forums to get design feedback that will hopefully improve my 3D Designs in B4Artists (a fork of Blender, and one I set to look and feel like Maya as much as possible since that is the "industry standard.")

Here is the link.

I may want to move to more 3D-specific forums like Blender Artists or Polycount once I get more comfortable with the fundamentals and want to compare my stuff with people actually working in Hollywood right now, but for now I think this 3D art thread is a decent way to network with the brilliant 2D concept artists here, and hopefully get to a point where I pay them to do designs and character sheets for me so that I can solely focus on implementing them in 3D.

Because let's be honest, if you want to do 3D art that is more polished and complicated than a few low-poly spheres and cones combined together with a basic rig to form a PS1-looking character, then it is a team effort, similar to developing GOOD indie games for the Game Portal or Steam. There is a good reason why the credits sequences for animated movies from Pixar, Dreamworks and Illumination are so insanely long, and even the straight-to-video stuff in Netflix's Kids section is also made by a team of hundreds--expensive-looking CG is made by numerous specialized working months or even years on a 3D asset you may not even be able to easily see in the final product.

I don't want to say this to discourage anyone, but this likely explains why it's so hard to find truly professional-looking art on NG, although I hope to be the one to raise the standard of 3D art on this site once I get more practice. Plus, to avoid burnout, especially if you don't have a large animation studio at your beck and call, there is no shame in keeping things extremely simple, so long as it lets you actually upload more finished projects and animations than if you spent years and years making your single character up to the standards of Hollywood, with fancy simulations and fur and the works, before FINALLY moving on to making the triple-A PlayStation 5-looking chair the character will sit on when you finally move on to animation 90 years from now. Especially now that lo-poly PS1/N64 graphics are in right now, and it is far easier and cheaper now to do lo-fi 3D in Blender than when the technology was brand-new.

Despite everything that has happened to the site since last December, ArtStation may still be the only place to find top-tier 3D artists.

DEF gonna check that out. Ugh yes. As an independent artists it's actually v hard to explain the multiperson setup

to outsiders. it's sort of mind melting to tell people "no like i am primarily and animator so in a studio i'd only have to worry about how it moves; someone else spends all day on the texture and another person on lighting and another on lipsync and another on modelling."

glad you said that, i think it needs to be said more and is encouraging not discouraging. Because beginners should hear that you need to learn a lot but if it works out you can actually do less professionally.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-17 15:44:42

Been crash testing my new ice cream scoop matcap thing (more info and download)

iu_1079341_3945050.png

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-17 16:11:13

At 9/17/23 03:44 PM, CzySzy wrote: Been crash testing my new ice cream scoop matcap thing (more info and download)

ice cream scoop...is that what the kids are calling it these days lol. V COOL for you to share resources

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-17 17:42:07

At 9/17/23 04:11 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
At 9/17/23 03:44 PM, CzySzy wrote: Been crash testing my new ice cream scoop matcap thing (more info and download)
ice cream scoop...is that what the kids are calling it these days lol. V COOL for you to share resources

By ice cream scoop I did not mean the chrome egg cup thing, but rather the tool I used to created the material/matcap.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-17 17:56:51

At 9/17/23 05:42 PM, CzySzy wrote:
At 9/17/23 04:11 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
By ice cream scoop I did not mean the chrome egg cup thing, but rather the tool I used to created the material/matcap.

lol i know. just had to comment on the butt plug shape

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-18 12:14:48 (edited 2023-09-18 12:19:33)

I don’t know if animation in the Adobe After Effects can be called CGI graphics, but it has the Element 3D plugin, which allows you to work with 3D objects directly in the Adobe After Effects. I’m currently working on a remake of the Viacom logo, and on this remake I'll use Element 3d. (that you see it's unfinished version of remake)

iu_1080084_10674344.gif

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-18 13:45:44

At 9/18/23 12:14 PM, RockinTV wrote:

I don’t know if animation in the Adobe After Effects can be called CGI graphics, but it has the Element 3D plugin, which allows you to work with 3D objects directly in the Adobe After Effects. I’m currently working on a remake of the Viacom logo, and on this remake I'll use Element 3d. (that you see it's unfinished version of remake)

Of course it is! Looks awesome. Reminds me of early vector graphic vibes. V cool. After effects has always been tough for me to use 3d so this is impressive. I always kinda give up on it and go to blender lol

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-18 20:50:20 (edited 2023-09-18 20:51:01)

At 9/18/23 01:45 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
At 9/18/23 12:14 PM, RockinTV wrote:

Of course it is! Looks awesome. Reminds me of early vector graphic vibes. V cool. After effects has always been tough for me to use 3d so this is impressive. I always kinda give up on it and go to blender lol

Maybe this will be off-topic now, but I have been interested in the topic of old logos since I was 9 years old, when I looked at these logos and thought “damn, it’s so interesting what kind of logos companies had.” First, at the age of 13 (in 2019), i made a not very good remake of the Metropole Télévision logo in Sony Vegas Pro, now it has reached a good remake of HBO with using AE and Element 3D

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-19 12:55:19

There used to be doof's 3D inator. but that got deleted.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-19 12:57:14

At 9/19/23 12:55 PM, BoiledMilkz wrote: There used to be doof's 3D inator. but that got deleted.

what was it? was it like a community thing?

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-19 12:59:13

At 9/19/23 12:57 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
At 9/19/23 12:55 PM, BoiledMilkz wrote: There used to be doof's 3D inator. but that got deleted.

I think the creator deleted their account.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-19 13:11:05

At 9/19/23 12:59 PM, BoiledMilkz wrote:

but what was the "3d inator"? idk what that is haha

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-19 13:22:31

At 9/19/23 01:11 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:

This is it on youtube.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-19 13:51:36

At 9/19/23 01:22 PM, BoiledMilkz wrote:
At 9/19/23 01:11 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
This is it on youtube.

v cool. love ferb. wonder why they left ng.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2023-09-20 19:33:14

My latest CG. Done with spring bones for their one arm. Simulating holding a selfie cam by using a constrain to the actual camera (so the camera is technically holding the hand instead of the other way around). The character is moving in a circle by parenting it to an empty in the center of the forest that is on a cycle to rotate.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2024-01-04 10:18:37

I love matcaps in Blender! They are .png "snapshots" of lighting setups basically. IMHO you can get a great look with them in the viewport render without fucking around too much with complex shader structures. I made a tutorial on how to easily render out your matcap-shaded image with a transparent background. You can even simply 'printscreen' your thing. Check it out!

iu_1140955_3945050.webp

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2024-01-04 23:48:06

At 1/4/24 10:18 AM, CzySzy wrote: I love matcaps in Blender! They are .png "snapshots" of lighting setups basically. IMHO you can get a great look with them in the viewport render without fucking around too much with complex shader structures. I made a tutorial on how to easily render out your matcap-shaded image with a transparent background. You can even simply 'printscreen' your thing. Check it out!

woah. using this at some point.

BBS Signature

Response to Other 3D and CGI artists 2024-01-06 08:29:47 (edited 2024-01-06 08:31:28)

I live in blender and use it a lot, even for my 2D works.

for custom models we have shared workflow, one fella does models, I do textures - here's some wip

we normally put things into game mods or my enviro builds in unreal, so not much 3D in NG gallery or anything.

iu_1142101_16926282.webp

Also I use sometimes lineart making in Blender or just do things based on games for fun (remake from a deus Ex game):

iu_1142102_16926282.webp

I am currently working for some short animations for my fan fiction headers :)