00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

qamar123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2023 Year-End Recap!

6,874 Views | 76 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Time for the big 2023 recap!

I’ve been keeping the NG History page up-to-date so like last year, this recap post will be based on that. If you have favorite 2023 moments you think need adding, now is a good time to suggest them.

In January, Ruffle introduced support for games like The Binding of Isaac and we highlighted a new batch of games now working via emulation.

January 23rd was Pixel Day, check out the winners!

@Graeme hosted a Picayune Dreams Art Contest, check out the winners!

We updated the Global Audio Options form, adding the ability to set things like “Allow Downloads” and “Allow external API use” globally.

In February the Treasure Hunt was revived by @SplatterDash and @The-Great-One, after having been dormant for more than a decade. Check out the winners!

@MigMoog, @Default, @nokoi and @Tiny hosted a second List Jam, check out the winners!

In March, more Flash games switched over to Ruffle as progress on AS3 support intensely ramped up.

The Audio Portal's 20th Anniversary Collab was a beautiful way to celebrate 20 years of the Audio Portal, featuring 87 participants and 60 instrumental pieces.

On March 22nd we announced the closure and archiving of the General and Politics forums. It was an emotional week but we believe it’s the best thing for NG moving forward, as we focus on what feels most important here.

April 1st was a surprise Clock Day, in celebration of April Fools!

We kicked off May with the first in a series of Playlist updates, starting with an overhaul of the playlist edit form to the modern, mobile-friendly layout. A second update was made at the end of the month, updating the playlist hub and introducing rating filters.

May 6th was Pico Day!

We wrapped up Flash Forward Jam 2023 and announced the winners.

June 6th was the 20th anniversary of the first @Eddsworld cartoon and we celebrated Edd's legacy with an Eddsworld Charity Art Contest, raising $1,230 for Young Lives vs Cancer.

@MasterHand4444 celebrated Christmas in July with an audio collab album!

June 9th was Piconjo Day!

@QueenBoo hosted a Love Me NG Art Contest.

June 23rd was the Too Many Games Meetup!

In July @Graeme hosted a Paper Planet Art Contest, check out the winners!

July 29th was the Toronto Meetup and theater screening!

@Random-storykeeper organized another great Art Inspired Music Contest!

@SageIsReal and 70+ artists unleashed the "Loss" Collab.

August 15th was Clock Day!

August 26th was Robot Day, hosted by @MindChamber. Check out the winners!

August ended with NG Summer Fest, organized by @Kekiiro, @Slimygoo, @Nek0ai, @DocNG, @P-PAMda and @Anislug.

@JAMRIOT kicked off September with Writer’s Jam 1.

@BrandyBuizel hosted a Live Action Jam that wrapped up on September 2nd. Check out the winners!

@Tritnew organized the dreamy Slumberland Collab Album!

We assembled the NG Money Gang and sponsored the 13th episode of Salad Fingers.

September 22nd was Madness Day, be sure to check out the winners!

On September 25th we launched our big Art Portal update, introducing true multi-image, multi-author, scheduled publishing and lots of other improvements.

@Prismisho organized The Skibidi Toilet Collab.

@mogy64 hosted a Taifau Cafe Art Contest, check out the winners!

In October we launched another Playlist update, introducing features such as playlists in playlists, tiered lists, private lists, sorting options and the ability to specify a playlist as a series, collection or album when appropriate. This update made it possible to migrate the old Series and Collections pages into the modern playlist system, our second massive system migration of the year.

October was a big month for collabs! 

@DannyGoodShirt organized Dr. Good’s Operating Theater 2023.

@BlackDingo86NG organized the Dinosaurs Attack Collab.

@Zfert organized the Creature Collab 2023.

@Emizip organized the Creepypasta Collab 2023.

@DieterTheuns organized the Halloworm 2023.

@TechnoCookie organized the Boner Collab.

@MechanicalMantis organized the NG Hex Collab 2023.

@AhWham organized The Shrieks and Screams Collab.

@Dry organized a Collaborative Autumn Album.

@EthosSketches organized the Graffiti collab.

@Karlestonchew organized the Cubes mini collab.

@BrandyBuizel organized a meetup at Yestercade in NJ. Here’s a recap!

@Imprez hosted an NG panel and screening at Derpycon.

We hosted our annual Halloween Spooktacular, while @DrSevenSeizeMD hosted the Pumpkin Carving contest, @Thetageist hosted Costume Jam 2023 and @deathink hosted a Horror Game Mashup art contest.

Continued below...

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:06:08 (edited 2023-12-31 11:54:04)

In November we introduced Project Templates, to save some clicks on new projects.

@KittyhawkMontrose hosted the Sweet Sixteen Comic Contest, making use of the new multi-art functionality in the Art Portal. Check out the winners!

@Graeme hosted a William and Sly Art Contest, check out the winners!

Lots of people made stuff for the holidays, the Merry Christmas post has a summary of highlights. @Kolumbo organized a big NGTV Christmas Marathon collab!

Art Secret Santa had a much higher barrier to entry this year, requiring artists to be scouted in the Art Portal to participate. We still ended up with over 500 participants! Thank you @Xinxinix and @PsychoGoldfish for organizing and @WizardoFrank for the cool banner!

@Dry hosted a Music Secret Santa!

The NG Money Gang sponsored Monkey Wrench Ep. 3, which premiered on Christmas Day.

We ended the year dealing with account break-ins. Please see this post about Account Security while we work on more features in that space.

End of 2023 Supporter Status

We are ending the year with ~8,500 active Supporters and our peak was just shy of 9k active Supporters in October. It’s great that we’ve moved the number upwards but expenses continue to outpace Supporter growth.

NG contributed $6k to Ruffle (Flash emulation / preservation) in 2023 but I’ll be reducing the monthly contribution in 2024 to help with NG expenses. Monthly prizes are also on the chopping block but I’d prefer not to go that route.

If you enjoy Newgrounds and think it’s more important than a cup of coffee, this would be a great time to come aboard as a Supporter!

Monthly Best of Posts

Each month, the community voted to decide the best games and movies and we maintained our $1,400 monthly prize pool. Each post also includes art and audio highlights.

January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November

Drawing Tablets

We gave out 27 drawing tablets this year but I only made 17 posts. Each post highlights a tablet recipient while revisiting a specific 2023 highlight.

Tablet 1 & Pixel Day

Tablet 2 & Flash Forward

Tablet 3 & The Treasure Hunt

Tablet 4 & List Jam 2

Tablet 5 & Pico Day

Tablet 6 & Art Inspired Music Contest

Tablet 7 & Robot Day

Tablet 8 & Live Action Jam

Tablet 9 & Eddsworld Art Contest

Tablet 10 & Student Films

Tablet 11 & Playlists

Tablet 12 & Games Showcase

Tablet 13 & Top Animation

Tablet 14 & MaxJohnsonINK

Tablet 15 & Waterflame

Tablet 16 & Low Poly Art

Tablet 17 & Pixel Art

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:10:20

Oh shit. Soon New Year. New Years Day 2023 was the day i joined NG. And i loved being here. I have had a fun year here on NG. I have met so many cool people and seen so mutch cool stuff. I love this website.

Happy New Year, everyone! And may 2024 be less shit!

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:10:21 (edited 2023-12-31 11:10:31)

This sure is a lot of stuff! Can't wait to see what 2024 will offer us!

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:11:26

Ho boy, let's see what next year has in store.

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:11:39

It was an amazing year! I'm really looking forward to 2024!

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:16:27

2023 isn't really something, but let's hope 2024 gets better.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:25:15 (edited 2023-12-31 11:26:29)

I have already written the final post :3 I hope next year will be the best. Happy New Year!!!

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:25:48 (edited 2023-12-31 11:27:09)

At 12/31/23 11:05 AM, TomFulp wrote: Time for the big 2023 recap!

I’ve been keeping the NG History page up-to-date so like last year, this recap post will be based on that. If you have favorite 2023 moments you think need adding, now is a good time to suggest them.

In January, Ruffle introduced support for games like The Binding of Isaac and we highlighted a new batch of games now working via emulation.

January 23rd was Pixel Day, check out the winners!

@Graeme hosted a Picayune Dreams Art Contest, check out the winners!

We updated the Global Audio Options form, adding the ability to set things like “Allow Downloads” and “Allow external API use” globally.

In February the Treasure Hunt was revived by @SplatterDash and @The-Great-One, after having been dormant for more than a decade. Check out the winners!

@MigMoog, @Default, @nokoi and @Tiny hosted a second List Jam, check out the winners!

In March, more Flash games switched over to Ruffle as progress on AS3 support intensely ramped up.

The Audio Portal's 20th Anniversary Collab was a beautiful way to celebrate 20 years of the Audio Portal, featuring 87 participants and 60 instrumental pieces.

On March 22nd we announced the closure and archiving of the General and Politics forums. It was an emotional week but we believe it’s the best thing for NG moving forward, as we focus on what feels most important here.

April 1st was a surprise Clock Day, in celebration of April Fools!

We kicked off May with the first in a series of Playlist updates, starting with an overhaul of the playlist edit form to the modern, mobile-friendly layout. A second update was made at the end of the month, updating the playlist hub and introducing rating filters.

May 6th was Pico Day!

We wrapped up Flash Forward Jam 2023 and announced the winners.

June 6th was the 20th anniversary of the first @Eddsworld cartoon and we celebrated Edd's legacy with an Eddsworld Charity Art Contest, raising $1,230 for Young Lives vs Cancer.

@MasterHand4444 celebrated Christmas in July with an audio collab album!

June 9th was Piconjo Day!

@QueenBoo hosted a Love Me NG Art Contest.

June 23rd was the Too Many Games Meetup!

In July @Graeme hosted a Paper Planet Art Contest, check out the winners!

July 29th was the Toronto Meetup and theater screening!

@Random-storykeeper organized another great Art Inspired Music Contest!

@SageIsReal and 70+ artists unleashed the "Loss" Collab.

August 15th was Clock Day!

August 26th was Robot Day, hosted by @MindChamber. Check out the winners!

August ended with NG Summer Fest, organized by @Kekiiro, @Slimygoo, @Nek0ai, @DocNG, @P-PAMda and @Anislug.

@JAMRIOT kicked off September with Writer’s Jam 1.

@BrandyBuizel hosted a Live Action Jam that wrapped up on September 2nd. Check out the winners!

We assembled the NG Money Gang and sponsored the 13th episode of Salad Fingers.

September 22nd was Madness Day, be sure to check out the winners!

On September 25th we launched our big Art Portal update, introducing true multi-image, multi-author, scheduled publishing and lots of other improvements.

@Prismisho organized The Skibidi Toilet Collab.

@mogy64 hosted a Taifau Cafe Art Contest, check out the winners!

In October we launched another Playlist update, introducing features such as playlists in playlists, tiered lists, private lists, sorting options and the ability to specify a playlist as a series, collection or album when appropriate. This update made it possible to migrate the old Series and Collections pages into the modern playlist system, our second massive system migration of the year.

October was a big month for collabs! 

@DannyGoodShirt organized Dr. Good’s Operating Theater 2023.

@BlackDingo86NG organized the Dinosaurs Attack Collab.

@Zfert organized the Creature Collab 2023.

@Emizip organized the Creepypasta Collab 2023.

@DieterTheuns organized the Halloworm 2023.

@TechnoCookie organized the Boner Collab.

@MechanicalMantis organized the NG Hex Collab 2023.

@AhWham organized The Shrieks and Screams Collab.

@Dry organized a Collaborative Autumn Album.

@EthosSketches organized the Graffiti collab.

@Karlestonchew organized the Cubes mini collab.

@BrandyBuizel organized a meetup at Yestercade in NJ. Here’s a recap!

@Imprez hosted an NG panel and screening at Derpycon.

We hosted our annual Halloween Spooktacular, while @DrSevenSeizeMD hosted the Pumpkin Carving contest, @Thetageist hosted Costume Jam 2023 and @deathink hosted a Horror Game Mashup art contest.

Continued below...

My favorite moment in Newgrounds in 2023 was when "comic/multi art" was released in September, Finally Newgrounds became a place for comics on internet, It was Very cool!

I like to make animations :)

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:39:07

Happy new year 🎉

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:45:43

This definitely felt like the year of the collab! Tons of events, several of which I tried to participate in. It was a little stressful, but also gave me a sense of direction. I came out more confident in my work, and I think it’s because of the events I participated in.

Here’s to 2023, Newgrounds. You made it a lot better.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:49:47

Happy Newgrounds Year! May 2024 bring...uh... further Newgrounding!

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:51:29

(I didn't do anything)

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:53:29

At 12/31/23 11:51 AM, Template88 wrote: (I didn't do anything)

Updating!

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:55:21

At 12/31/23 11:53 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/31/23 11:51 AM, Template88 wrote: (I didn't do anything)
Updating!

Happy new year 2024!

Check out!

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 11:56:00

When I first realized the CIJ album made it to the history page, I nearly was moved to tears. Sincerely, Tom: thank you, thank you, thank you.

Howdy and hello, folks :)

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 12:23:27

Look, Gary! There I am! :D

frfr this year was a banger imo. a few ups and downs, but I lived! :D

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 12:28:47

This was a big year for collabs and I hope that trend continues to next year! Pretty surreal to see my name and my friends name on the recap too, also surreal to see so many recap posts! :0 Did my best to read a majority of them lol

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 12:44:42

2024 sounds cool.

What? You expect some kind of joke in this post? I have one and it's called "None"!

What an ending to a new years.

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 12:44:53

happy ny ng

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 12:54:31

Happy Early New Year, NG!

And one last congratulations to everyone, documented or yet to be, who received a tablet this year!

All those recipients can take advantage of that new uhhhh - Art Portal update!!!

Supporters aren’t quite there yet but FORWARD MOMENTUM! <3

It was also really great getting to meet NG folk for the first two times this year! As well as befriending @CaptainStevie near the end of last year. I still have a proper end of year news post to make, but yeah!

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 13:15:54

Glad that 2023 was awesome!

2024 is gonna be a great year for me, hopefully I will make my manga!

ZombieGhost

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 13:19:15

Man, this year has been WILD! I'm so glad to be a part of Newgrounds, if it weren't for here, I wouldn't have made a delight ful art collab for an obscure-ah game that I'm SO DAMN HAPPY people know about AND IT GOT FRONT FRIGGIN' PAGED! Along with all the awesome collabs, both watching/seeing/listening to them and being a part of them! On top of that, the people here are welcoming and helpful as always, Newgrounds forever!

Just a nerd and a Kirby.

Hope you have a good day! <3

(Kirby says hi!) [Sig art by @soundskies]

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 13:32:20

Looking back this year 2023 is amazing, cheers to the 2024!

Pfft hate won't hurt me

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 13:34:19

Oh quick suggestion for getting on ng history if it's alright: @Tritnew's Sumberland Collab Album made a big splash when it dropped in September, Maybe we can put it on here?

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 13:49:39

Happy New Year everyone! Wish I could come up with a wordier, more poetic message, but this'll have to do. It may not be much but it's from the heart, so I hope that counts for something.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 14:03:13

My first year here went like a blur. Only felt like yesterday when I made my account.

Happy new year to everyone here!

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 14:08:47

@TomFulp, Do You Want Monthly Voting And Revenue Sharing Pages To Be Updated To Mobile Friendly?

BBS Signature

Response to 2023 Year-End Recap! 2023-12-31 14:09:12

Wishing y’all a Happy New Year! I want to thank everyone for having set up all these events and also those who shared their stories through their recaps. Best of luck in 2024 and I can’t wait to see what everyone will be working on in the new year!