00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Late January News & Events

4,740 Views | 55 Replies
Respond to this Topic

On Tuesday we celebrated Pixel Day. Thank you everyone who celebrated with pixel art, movies, games and chiptunes! Entries can be found in the Pixel Day 2024 collection.

Judging for Pixel Day is in progress but winners likely won’t be announced until after the Best of January are announced on February 7th.

Site Updates

In NG dev land, the first few months of 2024 will be dedicated to bug fixes, updates and code cleanup. We recently completed a refactor of the login system and are currently working out some bugs in the scouting system. Now that the Art Portal has been migrated to the project system, it shares more in common with the Audio Portal and the scouting system can be further unified and less messy code-wise.

We’re also in progress with big changes to make our dev environments more consistent with the production site. Last year we had some bumpy deployments due to these inconsistencies and there’s currently a bug with uploading images via the text editor that will be getting sorted out once everything falls in line.

I’ll be making updates as further changes and fixes are put in place. It won’t be particularly exciting in terms of new features but will hopefully feel good to see the ongoing progress.

Reminder, we introduced mandatory email 2FA this month for everyone who wasn’t already using 2FA with an authenticator app. If you’re experiencing any login issues, email support AT newgrounds.com for help!

Because these next few months won’t be especially exciting on the features front, I would like to express that NG still needs your Support! Hosting and development gets more expensive with each passing year and we’re still just charging three bucks a month or $25 for the year; basically two bucks a month before processing fees.

Flash Forward Jam kicks off on February 1st!

The Flash Forward Jam celebrates the legacy of Flash while giving the world cool new Flash games and interactive movies. Check out the 2021, 2022 and 2023 entries for examples from previous years.

To prepare for the launch, we’re crowdfunding prize money. If you’d like to help make this event a success, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards the Flash Forward jam.

Music Triathlon

The Music Triathlon started on January 24th! Just like a real triathlon, there are three different phases, each testing a different aspect of one’s auditory prowess.

Slam Poetry Live Event

Today is the Slam Poetry Live Event via Discord!

February Lineup

February 1st is the OneyPlays Sonic Shorts and Sonic Shorts 9 application deadline.

February 12th is the Valentine’s Day Art Collab deadline.

February 15th is the NG Mall Music Collab deadline.

February 23rd is the Summertime in Wintertime Art Collab deadline.

February 24th is the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Collab deadline.

February 28th is the LISA Campfire Collab and Transformers Collab deadline.

February 29th is the Pokemon Mystery Meat Collab deadline.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:38:36

Yippee, bug fixes and other stuff. I wish 2024 was better and more fun than last year.

Also first post.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:39:00

At 1/27/24 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote: On Tuesday we celebrated Pixel Day. Thank you everyone who celebrated with pixel art, movies, games and chiptunes! Entries can be found in the Pixel Day 2024 collection.

Judging for Pixel Day is in progress but winners likely won’t be announced until after the Best of January are announced on January 7th.

Site Updates

In NG dev land, the first few months of 2024 will be dedicated to bug fixes, updates and code cleanup. We recently completed a refactor of the login system and are currently working out some bugs in the scouting system. Now that the Art Portal has been migrated to the project system, it shares more in common with the Audio Portal and the scouting system can be further unified and less messy code-wise.

We’re also in progress with big changes to make our dev environments more consistent with the production site. Last year we had some bumpy deployments due to these inconsistencies and there’s currently a bug with uploading images via the text editor that will be getting sorted out once everything falls in line.

I’ll be making updates as further changes and fixes are put in place. It won’t be particularly exciting in terms of new features but will hopefully feel good to see the ongoing progress.

Reminder, we introduced mandatory email 2FA this month for everyone who wasn’t already using 2FA with an authenticator app. If you’re experiencing any login issues, email support AT newgrounds.com for help!

Because these next few months won’t be especially exciting on the features front, I would like to express that NG still needs your Support! Hosting and development gets more expensive with each passing year and we’re still just charging three bucks a month or $25 for the year; basically two bucks a month before processing fees.

Flash Forward Jam kicks off on February 1st!

The Flash Forward Jam celebrates the legacy of Flash while giving the world cool new Flash games and interactive movies. Check out the 2021, 2022 and 2023 entries for examples from previous years.

To prepare for the launch, we’re crowdfunding prize money. If you’d like to help make this event a success, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards the Flash Forward jam.

Music Triathlon

The Music Triathlon started on January 24th! Just like a real triathlon, there are three different phases, each testing a different aspect of one’s auditory prowess.

Slam Poetry Live Event

Today is the Slam Poetry Live Event via Discord!

February Lineup

February 1st is the OneyPlays Sonic Shorts and Sonic Shorts 9 application deadline.

February 12th is the Valentine’s Day Art Collab deadline.

February 15th is the NG Mall Music Collab deadline.

February 23rd is the Summertime in Wintertime Art Collab deadline.

February 24th is the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Collab deadline.

February 28th is the LISA Campfire Collab and Transformers Collab deadline.

February 29th is the Pokemon Mystery Meat Collab deadline.

More 2024 Events

March 1st is the Adult Swim Collab deadline.

March 20th is the Storytime Collab deadline.

April 3rd is the Kamen Rider Collab deadline.

May 18th will be Pico Day, a celebration of all things Newgrounds.

June will be the Midsummer Rumble month-long art event!

July 20th is the Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

Wow, so much text, can we add a page on which we will see the current state of the amount of money that goes to competitions like flash forward jam 24?

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:45:18

Sweet stuff as always :3 All the best Tom and Newgrounds staff!!! <33

At 1/27/24 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote: Judging for Pixel Day is in progress but winners likely won’t be announced until after the Best of January are announced on January 7th.

Did you mean "on February 7th"? lol

- wamy :3

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:47:50

At 1/27/24 11:39 AM, mtv129 wrote: Wow, so much text, can we add a page on which we will see the current state of the amount of money that goes to competitions like flash forward jam 24?

I do wonder if I should stop including these event calendars in the posts, if they are just making people gloss over the whole thing. I've removed the March events now.

Here's the current Flash Forward prize fund:

@EmsDeLaRoZ - $100

@Bleak-Creep - $100

@Saminat - $100

@53xy83457 - $50

@FutureCopLGF - $50

@YendorNG - $20

Newgrounds - $500

If there are Flash enthusiasts out there, they don't seem to be reading these posts!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:48:43

At 1/27/24 11:38 AM, fe3l1ngsk1lledd wrote: Yippee, bug fixes and other stuff. I wish 2024 was better and more fun than last year.

Life is full of ups and downs.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:48:55

I will be only glad to observe your efforts and the progress of Newgrounds!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:49:09

At 1/27/24 11:45 AM, wamyremy wrote: Sweet stuff as always :3 All the best Tom and Newgrounds staff!!! <33

At 1/27/24 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote: Judging for Pixel Day is in progress but winners likely won’t be announced until after the Best of January are announced on January 7th.

Fixed!

BBS Signature

Re Flash: It would appear Adobe has indirectly screwed over potential FlashForward participants who have not gotten a copy of flash from the archive run by MegaCharlie-- they took down the links yesterday:

https://yendorng.newgrounds.com/news/post/1418533

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 11:57:35

At 1/27/24 11:45 AM, wamyremy wrote: Sweet stuff as always :3 All the best Tom and Newgrounds staff!!! <33

The monthy portal voting ends and are tallied.

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 12:00:26

Each year the site gets better and better with these updates!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 12:06:34

At 1/27/24 11:55 AM, YendorNG wrote: Re Flash: It would appear Adobe has indirectly screwed over potential FlashForward participants who have not gotten a copy of flash from the archive run by MegaCharlie-- they took down the links yesterday:

If Nightmare Cops sells 10 million copies I'm really gonna try to make New Flash happen.

BBS Signature

At 1/27/24 12:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: If Nightmare Cops sells 10 million copies I'm really gonna try to make New Flash happen.

Waiting for the Nightmare Cops Animation Jam when the game comes out.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 12:10:38

Harry Pothead Part 3 confirmed???!!!

Don't forget to brush your hands and wash your teeth!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 12:18:04

At 1/27/24 12:12 PM, AlexToolStudio wrote: WHEN IS PICO DAY

May 18th.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 12:28:16

At 1/27/24 11:48 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/27/24 11:38 AM, fe3l1ngsk1lledd wrote: Yippee, bug fixes and other stuff. I wish 2024 was better and more fun than last year.
Life is full of ups and downs.

aint that the truth

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 12:47:15

At 1/27/24 11:47 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/27/24 11:39 AM, mtv129 wrote: Wow, so much text, can we add a page on which we will see the current state of the amount of money that goes to competitions like flash forward jam 24?
I do wonder if I should stop including these event calendars in the posts, if they are just making people gloss over the whole thing. I've removed the March events now.

Here's the current Flash Forward prize fund:

@EmsDeLaRoZ - $100
@Bleak-Creep - $100
@Saminat - $100
@53xy83457 - $50
@FutureCopLGF - $50
@YendorNG - $20
Newgrounds - $500

If there are Flash enthusiasts out there, they don't seem to be reading these posts!

Ok, I'm so sorry, this is about 3 times less than last year

Any site dev news makes me happy, I’m weird like that!

The war on abandonware rages on…though I still think we’re gonna see a good jam turnout as usual! Especially with the AS3 support Ruffle has now

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 13:50:57

At 1/27/24 11:55 AM, YendorNG wrote: Re Flash: It would appear Adobe has indirectly screwed over potential FlashForward participants who have not gotten a copy of flash from the archive run by MegaCharlie-- they took down the links yesterday:

It's worth mentioning that you can still find all versions of Flash on the software category in the Internet Archive if you look hard enough; just don't assume they'll be there forever.

e

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 13:52:51

I Can't Wait Until The Art Portal Updates!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 14:13:30

yo we got some nice art projects happening theyve been fun n shit

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 14:25:36

Thanks Tom for your efforts, I wish I could gift 1 Billion dollards.. But you might go in vacation shortly after that.

ZombieGhost

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 15:43:19

At 1/27/24 11:47 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Maybe just keep the nearby stuff

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-27 19:29:35

At 1/27/24 11:33 AM, TomFulp wrote: Reminder, we introduced mandatory email 2FA this month for everyone who wasn’t already using 2FA with an authenticator app. If you’re experiencing any login issues, email support AT newgrounds.com for help!

It did stop asking me to input a code from my E-Mail when logging in. Don't know if that was supposed to happen or not.

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 00:16:12

If you mean pw texting BS, I hope it doesn't auto log you out once it goes live. Millions CAN'T use it, and millions more REFUSE to utilise SMS services on principle. I will probably never be able to log in again ever, as I explicitly search out services lacking that function, or requiring a number of manual steps on the other end to contact me. It's all just too bloody spammy, worse than basic email.

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 00:25:46

Yaya. I am commenting. Wen Web3 NG shitcoin.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 00:38:34

At 1/28/24 12:16 AM, OpusFreiling wrote: If you mean pw texting BS, I hope it doesn't auto log you out once it goes live. Millions CAN'T use it, and millions more REFUSE to utilise SMS services on principle. I will probably never be able to log in again ever, as I explicitly search out services lacking that function, or requiring a number of manual steps on the other end to contact me. It's all just too bloody spammy, worse than basic email.

What are you talking about?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 01:25:31

At 1/28/24 12:38 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 1/28/24 12:16 AM, OpusFreiling wrote: If you mean pw texting BS, I hope it doesn't auto log you out once it goes live. Millions CAN'T use it, and millions more REFUSE to utilise SMS services on principle. I will probably never be able to log in again ever, as I explicitly search out services lacking that function, or requiring a number of manual steps on the other end to contact me. It's all just too bloody spammy, worse than basic email.

The mandatory "additional security" thing. I've always either opted out of just straight abandoned the site after. Eh, I needed more time for campaigning this year anyway.

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 01:44:50

At 1/28/24 01:25 AM, OpusFreiling wrote:
The mandatory "additional security" thing. I've always either opted out of just straight abandoned the site after. Eh, I needed more time for campaigning this year anyway.

But I thought Newgrounds uses authenticator apps, not SMS?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 02:04:43

At 1/28/24 01:44 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 1/28/24 01:25 AM, OpusFreiling wrote:
But I thought Newgrounds uses authenticator apps, not SMS?

Oh ok, I was just concerned it was something phone related because I lost my fark and totse back when they first did that, and by the time they stopped using that style of 2fa they were already almost dead so there was no purpose in returning.

Plus there are so many natural disasters in my area that's a liability for other reasons as well.