00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kenjo12345 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Late January News & Events

4,741 Views | 55 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 03:22:41

At 1/28/24 02:04 AM, OpusFreiling wrote:
At 1/28/24 01:44 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 1/28/24 01:25 AM, OpusFreiling wrote:
At 1/28/24 12:38 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 1/28/24 12:16 AM, OpusFreiling wrote: If you mean pw texting BS, I hope it doesn't auto log you out once it goes live. Millions CAN'T use it, and millions more REFUSE to utilise SMS services on principle. I will probably never be able to log in again ever, as I explicitly search out services lacking that function, or requiring a number of manual steps on the other end to contact me. It's all just too bloody spammy, worse than basic email.
What are you talking about?
The mandatory "additional security" thing. I've always either opted out of just straight abandoned the site after. Eh, I needed more time for campaigning this year anyway.
But I thought Newgrounds uses authenticator apps, not SMS?
Oh ok, I was just concerned it was something phone related because I lost my fark and totse back when they first did that, and by the time they stopped using that style of 2fa they were already almost dead so there was no purpose in returning.
Plus there are so many natural disasters in my area that's a liability for other reasons as well.

Authenticator apps are basically a glorified synchronized counter. It is phone related, but you don't technically need a phone for it, nor do you need an internet connection either once it's set up. You can install authy on your PC if you don't want to / can't keep it on your phone.

Can you switch back to email authentication after setting up the authenticator app? Not sure. I think you can but I haven't tried it so far since I'm still on email auth for the time being.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

would be good if they upped the limit on dumping and inbox / outbox. especially to supporters,

i wouldnt have deleted the ng rumble source files years ago if i hadnt ran out of space! (we are lookin at how to revive a sequel)

also, first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 08:59:44

At 1/28/24 12:25 AM, iscrulz wrote: Yaya. I am commenting. Wen Web3 NG shitcoin.

I'll leave that to whoever buys the site after I go bankrupt!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 09:17:16

At 1/28/24 08:59 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/28/24 12:25 AM, iscrulz wrote: Yaya. I am commenting. Wen Web3 NG shitcoin.
I'll leave that to whoever buys the site after I go bankrupt!

I call dibs.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-28 12:21:48

At 1/28/24 09:18 AM, AlexToolStudio wrote: I WILL HEAL THE WEBSITE!

Well folks, I guess we can consider NG healed

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-29 11:42:29

Hey TomFulp, can you whitelist me? Sorry if i'm being Irritating

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-29 13:05:37

At 1/29/24 11:42 AM, KVLLA wrote: Hey TomFulp, can you whitelist me? Sorry if i'm being Irritating

check out thr section that says Geometry dash questions

BBS Signature

@TomFulp, on the topic of bug fixes, the advanced search is goin thru it right now.

When you click the magnifying glass it no longer pulls up the dropdown menu for extensive criteria.

iu_1154519_1901976.png

The search requires you to add a tag, first.

When you search audio blatantly (e.g. "cock joke") you're given the dropdown menu but only because it's specifically searching for songs with that in the title or tags.

iu_1154521_1901976.png

If a user deletes the terms, then they lose the ability to search again.

iu_1154520_1901976.png

The only way to bypass this is to keep the term in, edit some criteria, and then delete the terms.

iu_1154523_1901976.png

iu_1154522_1901976.png

This bug is inconvenient to work around, for sure, but it's making the archaic method of advanced search even more archaic, too ^^;

*xin laugh*

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-29 14:39:38

At 1/29/24 01:41 PM, Xinxinix wrote: @TomFulp, on the topic of bug fixes, the advanced search is goin thru it right now.

When you click the magnifying glass it no longer pulls up the dropdown menu for extensive criteria.

Clicking the magnifying glass in the header has traditionally submitted whatever search term is in that text box to the left of the magnifying glass. What was the extensive criteria you're thinking of? Is it something you recall being there in recent years, or all the way back with older layouts? Older layouts had options to choose between stuff like movies / games / audio, where now it defaults to whatever hub you are in (or does the everything search).

I did notice that if you click the magnifying glass without any search terms while in the audio section, it defaults to a sort of greatest of all time list, where other sections default to empty results.

I'm tinkering with the advanced search and it's letting me get various audio results without having a search term, although I know I have run into situations before with advanced search where I needed to start with a search term... Maybe I just happen to be hitting things just right at the moment.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-29 14:41:56

At 1/27/24 11:38 AM, fe3l1ngsk1lledd wrote: Yippee, bug fixes and other stuff. I wish 2024 was better and more fun than last year.

Also first post.

each year is better than the last <3

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

At 1/29/24 02:39 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Clicking the magnifying glass in the header has traditionally submitted whatever search term is in that text box to the left of the magnifying glass. What was the extensive criteria you're thinking of? Is it something you recall being there in recent years, or all the way back with older layouts? Older layouts had options to choose between stuff like movies / games / audio, where now it defaults to whatever hub you are in (or does the everything search).

From my experience, especially since I learned it from you, Advanced Search (the "extensive criteria") is activated the moment you click the magnifying glass as long as you're in one of the portal sections.

When I was streaming Newgrounds daily, all I had to do to get to Advanced Search in the audio portal for "frontpaged commercial use permitted" music sorted by most recent was press the magnifying glass while in the Audio section and editing the dropdown menu as needed.

This was consistent (and habitual) until a year ago when I started focusing on my real-life experiences and couldn't spend as much time online as I wanted. The "NG Artist Fundraising PARTY" being the last time.

I haven't checked or used it in a long time, and now it requires the workaround I just explained, and I'm using Chrome as a browser, so that could be the problem.

I don't plan on changing my browser, either.

I did notice that if you click the magnifying glass without any search terms while in the audio section, it defaults to a sort of greatest of all time list, where other sections default to empty results.

Going to the audio portal by default, it shows me "Featured" as usual, as it always has.

I am not having this experience when I press the magnifying glass to go directly to Advanced Search without typing in terms, though. I get the "Tags: [input box]" "Please enter some terms." instead.

The reason I said I learned this from you was because way way way way way way back when I had my first interaction with you in the NGP server, when I was just an audience member, either you or Josh brought up how to get the advanced search and it blew my mind because I never knew it existed.

I've been spreading this information to willing and curious newgrounders ever since and projecting how easy it is to get right to what you would want or require from the NG audio portal uploads.

I'm tinkering with the advanced search and it's letting me get various audio results without having a search term, although I know I have run into situations before with advanced search where I needed to start with a search term... Maybe I just happen to be hitting things just right at the moment.

Last year was the last time I used it. Literally around this time.

I streamed every day for almost three months, and then kept a decent schedule for silly things since that day forward, but I could always rely on the consistency of the Advanced Search, and now it's consistently telling me to type in a Tag or Search Term before I can do anything else if I try to go directly to Advanced Search via the magnifying glass.

I'll see if it's still doing this as the months progress, but for now, it's feeling bugged and not being operated as it originally was intended (because it was so convenient and great) and now I gotta explain the workaround for anyone it doesn't work with.

I'm hella guessing it's just the browser, then, especially if it works for you. (or your admin privileges)

and then it's consistent with deleting the "terms" or tags in that box (whatever it is you searched for to get the setting wheel for advanced search) that it completely collapses afterward and won't work if you don't have something in that form.

*xin laugh*

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-29 15:01:16

At 1/29/24 02:54 PM, Xinxinix wrote: I streamed every day for almost three months, and then kept a decent schedule for silly things since that day forward, but I could always rely on the consistency of the Advanced Search, and now it's consistently telling me to type in a Tag or Search Term before I can do anything else if I try to go directly to Advanced Search via the magnifying glass.

We did do an update where Advanced search changed from a text link in the page to gear button to the left of the sorting options, so I see how on an empty search result page, the gear isn't there. What's weird on my end is when I do an empty audio search, I'm seeing this:

iu_1154580_1.png

Which does have the gear button there.

If I do an empty search for art, I get what you had in your screenshot:

iu_1154579_1.png

Seems like we want to get the gear button in that page, maybe to the left of "Please enter some terms"... Then might still need to address some other issues.

BBS Signature

At 1/29/24 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
We did do an update where Advanced search changed from a text link in the page to gear button to the left of the sorting options, so I see how on an empty search result page, the gear isn't there. What's weird on my end is when I do an empty audio search, I'm seeing this:
[image]

Which does have the gear button there.

Right, but what happens when you click the gear icon while still having an empty audio search? (I think you already shared this answer earlier, apologies)

If I do an empty search for art, I get what you had in your screenshot:
[image]

Which kinda makes sense. It would be lovely to have it reworked the way the Audio Portal works with empty searches as well--keeping it consistent across all portals so it feels natural and secondhand to how every part of NG works when it comes to needing or wanting specific submissions to appear.

Seems like we want to get the gear button in that page, maybe to the left of "Please enter some terms"... Then might still need to address some other issues.

That'd be nice--personally never found much of a reason to search art extensively (I am full, thank you [I see so much as it is]) and am honestly just concerned about the Audio Portal losing the extra convenience to a very important tool and presentation for NG's musicians.

I know plenty of people (recently, actually) who get saved by being able to use music from the Audio Portal, and having it made just a bit more difficult and finicky seems like an important setback.

If people want a specific art of a character, they can type the name. With audio, you can't really guess titles or tags since it's not required to have tags, and titles can be interpretive or misleading, whereas art is a lot a lot a lot more concise in its presentation and accessibility, naturally.

*xin laugh*

@TomFulp, also, not to overload ya, but I really wish the "featured" button was alongside the "forums" button for the frontpaged portal sections bc i really miss that convenience, too, and it's frustrating to have to scroll up when i have audio so far down on my frontpage compared to my "Art" and "Friends & Favorites" frontpage tabs when wanting to see what music has been featured on the frontpage recently.

I used to hop in my work truck, pull up ng, scroll down to see what audio was frontpaged, play the whole frontpage setlist, click the "featured" button once that ran into the voice acting or podcasting section, and then press play on whatever random order the featured audio was going to be shown to me (it was always different as compared to the order of their listing on the frontpage) and it made it really exciting.

The order is important bc I can chronologically determine when they got put up there but I can't when in the "featured" part of the audio portal, only the frontpage has chronology that i can decipher instantly and conveniently and it tells me how important certain songs are when they've been up there for so long as compared to other ones, so I tend to dislike having to go the audio portal "featured" to see important up-and-coming musicians and their view counts (seeing if they're underrated and require a bit more attention or etc) bc i can't physically tell or associate how long they were on the actual, physical, frontpage of newgrounds.

I'm feeling NG lose a bit of its ergonomics and user-friendly-ness, and I can live with it, but I don't think that's the point of the site, though and it's a lot of what charms me into using this site so much...

*xin laugh*

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-29 18:27:36

At 1/27/24 12:06 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/27/24 11:55 AM, YendorNG wrote: Re Flash: It would appear Adobe has indirectly screwed over potential FlashForward participants who have not gotten a copy of flash from the archive run by MegaCharlie-- they took down the links yesterday:

https://yendorng.newgrounds.com/news/post/1418533
If Nightmare Cops sells 10 million copies I'm really gonna try to make New Flash happen.

I'll help. Big success if it draws a single vertical line without crashing.

I just wanna say thank you for giving me access to scout artists with less than 4 arts. I have to be more careful and I need to make sure NOT to scout the artists who break the rules.

Low quality art is not going to be scouted as well.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-30 10:25:52

Can't wait to see how well everyone is doing on those Collabs and events! ^-^

Everyone have a nice day! :D

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-30 10:26:15

At 1/27/24 11:38 AM, fe3l1ngsk1lledd wrote: Yippee, bug fixes and other stuff. I wish 2024 was better and more fun than last year.

Also first post.

Nice! :) Hope this year is going to be awesome!

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-30 10:27:16

At 1/30/24 10:26 AM, Tyhond wrote:

Also first post.
Nice! :) Hope this year is going to be awesome!

I agree with you, Tyhond.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-30 15:44:11

Mandatory 2FA actually forces me to change my pico day submission punchline... THANKS TOM lol

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-30 15:47:20

At 1/30/24 03:44 PM, Tyler wrote: Mandatory 2FA actually forces me to change my pico day submission punchline... THANKS TOM lol

Classic Tyler, the newgrounds artist, moment & antics :v

*xin laugh*

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-31 08:44:15

At 1/31/24 08:25 AM, mottobanana24 wrote: Hey Newgrounds users. According to TomFulp, the winners for the Pixel Art contest will be announced on Feb 7th.
There are only 6 winning positions for creating Pixel Art.

But a lot of art has been submitted from Jan 23rd. We need more positions! If any of you agree, lets get Tom to add 4 more positions to the art contest. And maybe change the price of each position.
Reply before next week.

Actually the Best of January will be announced on Feb 7th, Pixel Day winners will be in a later post.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-31 13:46:37

I miss pixel day but as for the news first off the Email 2 Step is fully working for me as far as i know and am also kind of carious to know how Flash Forward Will work now that Flash Animate Archives are now starting to get took in down by Adobe

Hey @TomFulp

Regarding the deadline for the Pokemon Mystery Lovers Collab on the front page: Feburary 2nd is really meant to serve as a soft deadline as a means for last call submissions. The hard deadline is on the 10th.

iu_1155597_3993712.png

I wanted to clarify that to avoid any confusion because I did specify that in the collab description. Unless there is a reason that I'm missing on why it's listed as the 2nd anyhow...

iu_1155596_3993712.webp

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-31 21:07:45

At 1/31/24 04:53 PM, DioShiba wrote: Hey @TomFulp

Regarding the deadline for the Pokemon Mystery Lovers Collab on the front page: Feburary 2nd is really meant to serve as a soft deadline as a means for last call submissions. The hard deadline is on the 10th.

I wanted to clarify that to avoid any confusion because I did specify that in the collab description. Unless there is a reason that I'm missing on why it's listed as the 2nd anyhow...

I changed it to the 10th on the calendar and made a note for future posts, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Late January News & Events 2024-01-31 21:10:04

At 1/31/24 09:07 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/31/24 04:53 PM, DioShiba wrote: Hey @TomFulp

I changed it to the 10th on the calendar and made a note for future posts, too.

Sounds good, thanks Tom!