00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duckyellow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

You more intuitive or analytical?

384 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 17:14:09

This is not a purely black and white area, but something you lean more towards. Being intuitive (Just knowing what you feel it should be and applying the concepts of art to make something) or analytical (Very logic driven and more interested in doing number crunching in your head). Art is in a way, a mixture of both, but people will either be more(ish) one or the other. Personally, I am realizing I'm very analytical to a fault. I like perspective quite a bit because it actually is quite math driven once you get deep into it as an example.

What about you? Which one do you lean towards more?

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 17:19:54

I have absolutely no idea what i am doing. I just pick my pen and do.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 17:34:20

At 4/8/24 05:19 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I have absolutely no idea what i am doing. I just pick my pen and do.

Holy shit. I look at your artwork and have, like, a big reason to ask HOW.

So long as you retain your spirit of exploration, surely you shall find your way out. This I believe.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 17:46:29

I just jump back n forth as needed. Instinct gives me more appeal but its inconsistent, sweat mode solves that but its stiff af. Yeah ideally you want a happy balance, as all things should be. As one line put it, a good artist is being a good liar, or something along those lines 🙂

I really like this, I don't think a lot of people have brought it up. And... well, I haven't thought about it myself!! I'm a huge planner, which is funny because I can't take more than a day drawing something or I get bored. I'm much more analytical, and for me it's REALLY fun to just get a composition right. So planning that and just hueshifting, or picking certain accents, or putting in certain textures to get a certain feeling is just... REALLY fun for me. It's the best part of art, but I think it's because I really like figuring out how to do something and feeling satisfied if I think I did things right

But now that I think about it, for the figures themselves it's ALL intuition. I never ever plan out a body or use guidelines. But the composition is all planning so maybe I'm just both

idk if any of this makes sense, I just got off of work and I'm a ball of stress LMAO

At 4/8/24 05:46 PM, Riger44 wrote: As one line put it, a good artist is being a good liar, or something along those lines 🙂

omfg I LOVE that expression and I think I'm gonna start saying it LOL

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

At 4/8/24 05:34 PM, morushroom wrote:
At 4/8/24 05:19 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I have absolutely no idea what i am doing. I just pick my pen and do.

Without my imagination and artsy-things I'd go insane (and self destructive), and so over the time I have developed the approach that art in all its forms is a game to me. I treat it like a play. I jest none, when i say often it has no logic how I go there - sometimes work you see is just something i did to not to beat my fingers into pulp against the wall (at younger age I did just that beat wall till my hand went numb or something in me broke, or did stick fingers into open flame to not feel). I wouldn't say I have intuition or that i analyze. I just ... do... so I wouldn't do something else. Because that something else would eventually end up destroying me or hurting me way too much for anyone's comfort.

So I literally have no idea what I am doing, but I do it because it is time, when I feel calm and content. And since I do that a lot, then some of my work look ok.

iu_1186735_16926282.webp

I do imagine some people thought my last post was a joke. No, I really meant it and I was 100% serious and maybe this post explained some.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 18:36:03

At 4/8/24 05:53 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
At 4/8/24 05:34 PM, morushroom wrote:
Without my imagination and artsy-things I'd go insane (and self destructive), and so over the time I have developed the approach that art in all its forms is a game to me. I treat it like a play. I jest none, when i say often it has no logic how I go there - sometimes work you see is just something i did to not to beat my fingers into pulp against the wall (at younger age I did just that beat wall till my hand went numb or something in me broke, or did stick fingers into open flame to not feel). I wouldn't say I have intuition or that i analyze. I just ... do... so I wouldn't do something else. Because that something else would eventually end up destroying me or hurting me way too much for anyone's comfort.

So I literally have no idea what I am doing, but I do it because it is time, when I feel calm and content. And since I do that a lot, then some of my work look ok.

I do imagine some people thought my last post was a joke. No, I really meant it and I was 100% serious and maybe this post explained some.

I'm amazed, honestly. Props, man, and keep at it, your stuff is awesome.

So long as you retain your spirit of exploration, surely you shall find your way out. This I believe.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 18:37:56

I'd say both by default. I jump the gun with a rough sketch (int.) and then I look at it changing, fixing and polishing the final piece (anal. lol)

All the problems, make me wanna go, like a bad girl, straight to video, little darling, welcome to the show, I'M a failure played in stereo...

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 21:39:43

Analytical, definitely. I have no real talent beyond a very baseline level; everything I'm able to do comes from learning a process, memorizing the rules, and following them. Over time I can backfill some of the ground I've covered with learned and trained intuition, but it's very much an analysis first type deal.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-08 22:34:33

Both, I learn the analytical to figure out how stuff works, (how perspective works, how muscles connect, and currently I'm learning about light behavior stuff), but I pretty rarely use that stuff like, explicitly when I draw, I don't draw the horizon line and the Station Point and figure out where all the VPs are, I just eyeball it because I've done it 'analytically' before and know how it works. And I don't draw the skeleton and wrap, muscles and fat over it when drawing a figure, but I have a pretty good idea of where the muscles connect and how they should be drawn, because I've done it 'analytically' before.

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 03:02:29

I feel like I fluctuate between the two.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 03:35:45

Those words are too big for me

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 05:52:37

love math in perspective too, this sent me looking for the math stuff i did in the past. here's one about calculating the angle of incidence on a plane based on light direction to determine brightness given off by lambertian reflectance.

iu_1187000_18419080.webp

i dno if this means i lean towards analytical but i cannot discount the intuitive part when comparing my current vs past work. there is just no way i can draw what i can now based on analysis alone. its more towards intuition for being able to draw out the shapes/colors that expresses what i want to communicate.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 07:55:25

definitely intuitive. im just bullshitting all this as i go lmfao

i do try to learn shit tho, so i guess i could be considered like. 5-10% analytical? but def mostly intuitive

art thread!! :D

art nerd who has nothing to talk about, other than art or extremely specific fandom stuff

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 10:55:30

Uhhh... Both, I guess?

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 12:54:25

Interesting idea for a thread. After thinking about it just a bit, I'd have to say I'm more intuitive unfortunately. I say "unfortunately" because I could really stand to be more analytical, not just in art but other areas of life as well. If we stick to art, I can't count the occasions where I spent way too much time fixing up mistakes that could have been avoided if I just put a little more thought in the planning stage. As it happens, my current circumstances are sort of pushing me to be more analytical overall, so here's hoping I apply it in my art as well.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 19:02:03

At 4/8/24 05:14 PM, xeiavica wrote: What about you? Which one do you lean towards more?

I tend to start out in autopilot until something doesn't quite work, then I switch to brain mode.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 21:38:54

My mind is weird because I want to be analytical in the planning stages but then my brain goes blank after a while and does whatever it wants when inking or coloring are involved. I think I know what I'm doing but I really don't.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-09 22:54:06

I'm usually in the analytical side because I always use perspective and 3d shapes, and get them to the size or shape I want when I'm drawing.

enter hyperspace.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-10 03:55:39

Hmm, how do I put this...

I'm intuitive with analytical things. Like, I do a lot of things in art that would probably require a lot of analysing (imagining the art in the first place, doing a rough sketch, drawing perspectives etc), but because I don't like using my brain I just eyeball the whole thing in autopilot and hope it turns out good. In other words, I never studied crap, I only know how art generally works through observation of other people's artworks and then deciding "I wanna do that".

I hope this made sense. In all honesty, I really don't know my drawing process, I just do it.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-10 03:58:18

I wing it until I have to fix it.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-10 12:53:11

I dunno

Cool, wild and Groovy beat.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 01:22:15

Oh man, absolutely intuitive. I literally don't sketch, I start with lineart. I bullshit my way through everything until it looks right. Went through a long phase where I convinced myself I was "sketching" when I was actually just doing lineart in a sketchy style... by chicken scratching, no less, LMAO. Ironically (and expectedly), my art looked worse for that.

In general, I've tried to break the habit in the past and study more, but I guess it's as they say, old habits die hard. If "self-taught artists" was a book, I'd be on the cover (which in my case, is not a compliment), for the many years I spent avoiding tutorials, references, and studying like I'd catch a disease from it, lol.

Fuck the cynicism, let the colors fly!

Don’t care you think it’s cringe, because it’s not your life!

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 05:13:19

I art therefore I am

If I do not art

therefore I'm not am

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 06:24:09

I'm more in the intuitive side but it's the same reason my pieces look worse than others, i suck at planning.

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 10:28:22

Intuitive, I throw shit at a wall and pray it sticks.

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 10:29:05

So analytical it hurts

welp

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 12:50:43

At 4/8/24 05:14 PM, xeiavica wrote: This is not a purely black and white area, but something you lean more towards. Being intuitive (Just knowing what you feel it should be and applying the concepts of art to make something) or analytical (Very logic driven and more interested in doing number crunching in your head). Art is in a way, a mixture of both, but people will either be more(ish) one or the other. Personally, I am realizing I'm very analytical to a fault. I like perspective quite a bit because it actually is quite math driven once you get deep into it as an example.

What about you? Which one do you lean towards more?

Wut

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 15:54:58

Oddly analytical despite everything looking bad

still dont have a very good grasp on color and light so do that intuitivly, I do try to make the anatomy make sense

im also lazy

Response to You more intuitive or analytical? 2024-04-24 16:42:58

Thats not important