00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Noob Artists Club

3,254 Views | 176 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-24 13:43:04

At 3/23/23 03:40 PM, Blaznthekid wrote:
At 3/23/23 03:09 PM, StevSteelEn wrote:
At 3/22/23 04:52 PM, Blaznthekid wrote:
At 3/22/23 02:57 PM, StevSteelEn wrote: what yall do when you cant think of a background?
I usually tend to wing it. For me it can be hard to come up a proper background as I don't really plan things out very well.

Outside of throwing a color as the background I have few 'real' backgrounds in some pieces:

I planned to leave the background a solid pink color, but added some shapes which, to me, helped fill it out more.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/blaznthekid/the-james-randal-special

This was for the secret santa and I usually like to keep things thematic; so christmas/winter was on the brain
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/blaznthekid/secret-santa-2022-jetluvzram3n

I am unaware of how a nightclub functions let alone a cyberpunk themed one.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/blaznthekid/cyberpunk-red-j
sometimes i can think of a background mid-draw when im on break. but most of the time i just wing it and it tends to work out in my favor.
Just kinda thinking out loud, but maybe we don't need to think too too hard for backgrounds because the main focus (atleast from what we've shown) is just characters/character design. Minimalist backgrounds can work just as well and be better than over-designing a background to the point where it overshadows the character.

you right, though sometimes the background can give some personality for the character depending on whats the design of them. but me personally, if i want to add a background: i either wing it, or add some shadow if grounded because i am not putting some square box and tilting it and calling it a background (im not calling out those who do it, do it if you want to, i just dont like doing that) but yes minimal background works best.

If we need a detailed background for like a book/comic cover, I think what helps illustrating the setting is that there's already a narrative. If I was making a superhero cover what's the feel? If its heroic the city should be safe or they're saving a civilian, something uplifting. If the situation is dire than maybe there's debris and destruction behind them. I guess think of the backstory of the character you're working on and how you're trying to depict them in this moment, then help it along by making the setting match the mood. If we're just showcasing a character it may not matter as much.

I could also be wrong, but what y'all think?

i dont have much to say about the second point, i do kinda agree though.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-24 19:46:42

I tried to make a scenic background instead of the usual decorative pattern background.... (⁠ㆁ⁠ω⁠ㆁ⁠)

I like how it turns out! While I don't this blends well with the character, at least I tried my best!

PS If you know Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal please friend me immediately

opia? More like you need to copia and get bitc-

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-24 19:47:50

At 3/24/23 07:46 PM, MyuniStar wrote: I tried to make a scenic background instead of the usual decorative pattern background.... (⁠ㆁ⁠ω⁠ㆁ⁠)
I like how it turns out! While I don't this blends well with the character, at least I tried my best!
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/myunistar/the-shining-beach

So cute! But make the eyes a bit smaller.

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-24 19:49:32

At 3/24/23 07:47 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
At 3/24/23 07:46 PM, MyuniStar wrote: I tried to make a scenic background instead of the usual decorative pattern background.... (⁠ㆁ⁠ω⁠ㆁ⁠)
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/myunistar/the-shining-beach
So cute! But make the eyes a bit smaller.

Aww thank you!!!! (⁠☆⁠▽⁠☆⁠)

I tried in the past but 1. I don't think it fits my style 2. I failed lol qwq

But I'm sure I'll do soon!

opia? More like you need to copia and get bitc-

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-26 07:54:41

At 3/9/23 05:39 PM, SpermFactoty wrote:
At 3/4/23 06:28 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: A club for new artists and artists who are often overshadowed by the popular. A welcoming space for those who dont get much popularity.
RULES:
-No NSFW
-Stay on topic
-Be nice to each other
-No drama
-Have fun
oops

I saved that pic to show my boyfriend when he wakes up

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:13:27

got a nice question? how long do yall take on your drawings?

i used to do my drawings in 1 day last year, crazy right? but that was when my art was real sloppy and very rushed that i didnt allow myself the time to analyse what needs fixing. Now i take 3-4 days for better quality and mindset towards my work and myself, first day is the sketch, second day is the analysation/cleanup to lineart and add colors, third day is planning out where to shade and add a background and then publish it. Fourth day is only when i take longer on a drawing depending on how much details i plan on adding making it the last day to make final touches and then publish it.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:21:36

At 3/28/23 04:13 PM, StevSteelEn wrote: got a nice question? how long do yall take on your drawings?

i used to do my drawings in 1 day last year, crazy right? but that was when my art was real sloppy and very rushed that i didnt allow myself the time to analyse what needs fixing. Now i take 3-4 days for better quality and mindset towards my work and myself, first day is the sketch, second day is the analysation/cleanup to lineart and add colors, third day is planning out where to shade and add a background and then publish it. Fourth day is only when i take longer on a drawing depending on how much details i plan on adding making it the last day to make final touches and then publish it.

Mine is around ~6 hours but that's mainly because:

-The size of what I'm working with. I don't care so much about how large something is because I emphasize the foreground elements FIRST, since it's something you recognize MORE of the artwork.

-What is the artwork for? Because sometimes it takes much MORE hours for say animated sprite work. For artwork that I don't need to animate takes usually less.

-The style. For more serious stuff, it takes more time versus stuff I thought it was funny to draw and put it in a canvas.

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:24:25

At 3/28/23 04:13 PM, StevSteelEn wrote: got a nice question? how long do yall take on your drawings?

Most of my pieces take about 1-2 hours, depending on how things go.

Editing/clean up on some of my older pieces can take almost as long, due to all the dust and smudges that built up over time.

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:27:43

i used to draw shit in 1 day too lol, back when i start my art because of how simple it was then.

My schedule of drawing stuff is hella inconsistent, its either i take ages or i take an hour drawing

Noted by Wheelbunner

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:36:24

I'm super inconsistent, stuff could take several hours if I'm in the right mindset, or I procrastinate until I hit that mindset which could put something off for days (or weeks). Trying to think of a new approach and kinda started to just randomly sketch out a bunch of stuff when I do get that motivation and then I'll pick the ones I like to fully flesh out later. I do also post it the following day I finish so I'm fully awake and to avoid misspellings of descriptions.

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:49:55

At 3/28/23 04:27 PM, CrazySaltedCrackers wrote:

i used to draw shit in 1 day too lol, back when i start my art because of how simple it was then.
My schedule of drawing stuff is hella inconsistent, its either i take ages or i take an hour drawing

yo same, my art was real simple and easy to do that it only takes a day. now i've evolved and have to start taking my time, its still fun to see your progress. if i were to doodle, i'd take around 2-3 hours

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 16:55:07

At 3/28/23 04:36 PM, Blaznthekid wrote:

I'm super inconsistent, stuff could take several hours if I'm in the right mindset, or I procrastinate until I hit that mindset which could put something off for days (or weeks). Trying to think of a new approach and kinda started to just randomly sketch out a bunch of stuff when I do get that motivation and then I'll pick the ones I like to fully flesh out later. I do also post it the following day I finish so I'm fully awake and to avoid misspellings of descriptions.

eh, nothing wrong in being inconsistent, i rather relax and let the idea flow naturally on its own than forcing it. while i dont have ideas, i just doodle stupid shit or sketch some practices to keep my muscle memory. i dont like keeping a schedule on when to draw because i know damn well i wont follow it, so i draw on my own time and never care about what others think.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 17:23:44

For me, it takes once every 3-7 days. Used to do two artworks everyday, but it was more sloppier.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 18:54:48

At 3/28/23 05:23 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:

For me, it takes once every 3-7 days. Used to do two artworks everyday, but it was more sloppier.

2 drawings? i did that once one time because i wanted to get my ideas out, but its better to focus on 1 and then then the other when finished.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 19:20:51

At 3/28/23 04:49 PM, StevSteelEn wrote:

yo same, my art was real simple and easy to do that it only takes a day. now i've evolved and have to start taking my time, its still fun to see your progress. if i were to doodle, i'd take around 2-3 hours

Funny enough, some of my recent art originally started out as lil doodles, and sometimes, i put too much work to them than actual drawings i still need to work in hours

Noted by Wheelbunner

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 19:39:13

This seems interesting, I wanna join!

DONT BOTHER ME, OKAY?

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 19:49:55

At 3/28/23 07:39 PM, BastardFromBrooklyn wrote: This seems interesting, I wanna join!

ur in (e)

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-28 19:50:19

At 3/28/23 07:20 PM, CrazySaltedCrackers wrote:
At 3/28/23 04:49 PM, StevSteelEn wrote:

Funny enough, some of my recent art originally started out as lil doodles, and sometimes, i put too much work to them than actual drawings i still need to work in hours

I have lots of complex ideas but little time and desire.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-29 11:14:43

I'd take 10-20 minutes back when I drew traditionally but digital pieces usually take 1-4 hours

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 14:32:18

yall ever tried pixel art once in a while? i downloaded a pixel pen off the cloud and had alot of fun with it. these are my 2 recent doodles with themiu_935392_8595296.pngiu_935393_8595296.png

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 15:42:15

At 3/30/23 02:32 PM, StevSteelEn wrote: yall ever tried pixel art once in a while? i downloaded a pixel pen off the cloud and had alot of fun with it. these are my 2 recent doodles with them

I have.

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 17:23:17

At 3/30/23 02:32 PM, StevSteelEn wrote: yall ever tried pixel art once in a while? i downloaded a pixel pen off the cloud and had alot of fun with it. these are my 2 recent doodles with them

Does MSPAINT count?

Noted by Wheelbunner

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 17:55:06

At 3/30/23 05:23 PM, CrazySaltedCrackers wrote:
Does MSPAINT count?

yea

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 18:05:10

At 3/30/23 05:55 PM, StevSteelEn wrote:
Does MSPAINT count?
yea

I don't really care much that this didnt get too much spotlight, but i do am proud of how these 2 turn out.

I should get back doing MSpaint stuff, i haven't done em in a month lol

Noted by Wheelbunner

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 18:15:54

At 3/30/23 06:05 PM, CrazySaltedCrackers wrote:
Does MSPAINT count?
yea
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/crazysaltedcrackers/space-suit-harmonica
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/crazysaltedcrackers/all-alone-not-to-worry-i-feel-that-too

I don't really care much that this didnt get too much spotlight, but i do am proud of how these 2 turn out.

yo? these are fucking amazing jesus christ man. but hey, as long as you had fun and enjoyed drawing them, thats all it matters. forget the numbers

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-30 18:34:11

At 3/30/23 06:05 PM, CrazySaltedCrackers wrote:
Does MSPAINT count?
yea
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/crazysaltedcrackers/space-suit-harmonica
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/crazysaltedcrackers/all-alone-not-to-worry-i-feel-that-too

You appear to like horror and dark stuff. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-03-31 15:40:59

I have, using pixilart.com and GIMP, but the only pieces I did were simple logos that I uploaded to my old NG account

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-04-01 02:25:26

At 3/4/23 06:28 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: A club for new artists and artists who are often overshadowed by the popular. A welcoming space for those who dont get much popularity.
RULES:
-No NSFW
-Stay on topic
-Be nice to each other
-No drama
-Have fun

iu_936878_9906310.gif

Sorry to pop in unannounced, am I late for the tea party?

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-04-01 07:21:37

At 4/1/23 02:25 AM, Ghillie-Tseretely wrote:
RULES:
-No NSFW
-Stay on topic
-Be nice to each other
-No drama
-Have fun

no

BBS Signature

Response to Noob Artists Club 2023-04-01 12:10:29

At 4/1/23 02:25 AM, Ghillie-Tseretely wrote:
RULES:
-No NSFW
-Stay on topic
-Be nice to each other
-No drama
-Have fun

meh, no, the club is usually silent for some time, but do enjoy your stay

Noted by Wheelbunner

BBS Signature