00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gaffi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds

3,829 Views | 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-05 18:51:06

ng has a way friendlier (although more weird and eccentric) community. Real civil space here unlike yt where shit happens constantly. SchutzStaffelSniperwolf still goes unpunished for basically cyberterrorism.

BBS Signature

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-05 23:35:47

If we were to go on counts regards to animation, art and games, NewGrounds is 1000x friendlier towards animators and gives new and upcoming creators a far better chance of attention, fame, community, voice etc. unlike YouTube where the platform relies on using an algorithm to decide which videos succeed and which don't (YT has a HUGE userbase that of compared to newgrounds).

In general, newgrounds is a better to be in rather than youtube where on a daily basis where YT is shooting itself in the foot over and over again.

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-07 03:05:35

i mean i use youtube more probably, because of how much different shit is on there. but if i had to choose to lose one i'd lose youtube newgrounds on top

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-10 19:35:58

At 8/31/23 04:02 PM, SuperGibaLogan wrote: title says it all

Newgrounds is like a real website. YouTube is TV 2 at this point.

Old Microsoft Paint's strongest soldier....

BBS Signature

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-12 18:37:27

Honestly, YouTube takes the point for the mainstream appeal like @SunSmog said but to me Newgrounds feels more chill, and like they said you can reach people much easier on here. I have a decent amount of subscribers on YouTube but it took longer for me to get recognized on YouTube than on here. Also, you get many things in one here. You get a portal for art, games, audio, movies, and on top of that forums. Now you could say YouTube has all those things, but it all seems scattered around and it's not really in one organized place like on Newgrounds.

YouTube doesn't really have forums like that, so Newgrounds for the win.

Vestik

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-12 19:54:41

At 1/12/24 06:37 PM, vestik wrote: Honestly, YouTube takes the point for the mainstream appeal like @SunSmog said but to me Newgrounds feels more chill, and like they said you can reach people much easier on here. I have a decent amount of subscribers on YouTube but it took longer for me to get recognized on YouTube than on here. Also, you get many things in one here. You get a portal for art, games, audio, movies, and on top of that forums. Now you could say YouTube has all those things, but it all seems scattered around and it's not really in one organized place like on Newgrounds.

i think youtube should add forums

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-12 19:56:55

At 1/12/24 07:54 PM, SuperGibaLogan wrote:
At 1/12/24 06:37 PM, vestik wrote: Honestly, YouTube takes the point for the mainstream appeal like @SunSmog said but to me Newgrounds feels more chill, and like they said you can reach people much easier on here. I have a decent amount of subscribers on YouTube but it took longer for me to get recognized on YouTube than on here. Also, you get many things in one here. You get a portal for art, games, audio, movies, and on top of that forums. Now you could say YouTube has all those things, but it all seems scattered around and it's not really in one organized place like on Newgrounds.

i think youtube should add forums

I think so too, kind of. I feel like it would be chaotic to be honest, you know YouTube's community...

Hey, I'm all for it. Bring the popcorn!

Vestik

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-18 05:22:26

Newgrounds. YouTube gets worse every day, Newgrounds gets better.

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-18 11:03:26

Newgrounds 100% if I have to choose. However, Youtube is still useful to me for hearing game's soundtracks or playing different gameplay videos in the bg while I work

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-18 13:55:30

I've always seen NG as a site where you go to build connections and share your creative works. Meanwhile Youtube is where you cynically upload videos for ad revenue and hope the algorithm doesn't bottleneck your viewership reach.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-26 12:42:40

Facebook

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-01-26 23:28:52

At 9/6/23 05:47 PM, Royal-Harmonica wrote: Newgrounds as a platform is infinitely more engaging, much more fair and supportive to content creators, smaller yet tight-knit community, the support team actually fucking answers back, we have more historical value, our logo is better, we're not owned by google, our CEO is 20x cooler AND we have free refreshments.

Helps that Tom is a creator so he actually knows how things work.

Ever had to knock on wood? 'Cuz I know someone who had.

BBS Signature

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-02-02 12:07:58

Both have their good qualities, with youtube you can basically post anything (as long as it fits within their rules anyway). Long essay video about some obscure game you've never heard? On YouTube. Video about some guy playing a popular video game song on a cat piano? You can find that on YouTube. A video of a man sitting and staring at his camera the whole time? I don't know why but that's on YouTube!

But with newgrounds everything is all creation based. Animation, art, music, it's all centered around those things. It's really cool seeing all these neat things people are creating and doing, gets me so motivated to work on my own art.

So, if I wanna watch dumb stuff, I'll head to YouTube. If I wanna see wonderful art made by other artist, newgrounds is definitely the place to go.

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-02-02 23:13:05

It depends, I love YouTube for my animations (mainly because I want them to reach a wider audience), listening to music, and watching videos. However, my animations as of late contain audio from Saturday Night Live skits, they’re fun to practice animation with and songs. I upload them to YouTube but I can upload them to Newgrounds too. But will my animations get taken down because of the audio I use? Either way, mostly YouTube but Newgrounds is good too!

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-02-03 06:01:11

social media today in general sucks ass but what else can you do

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-02-06 23:28:58

If you had asked me even 5 years prior which I would prefer, it would be a tougher choice between YouTube and Newgrounds. I do appreciate it, though, when artists post on both. I prefer watching quality animations on Newgrounds, but if I want to show that same animation to my Dad, it's best that I show him a link to the YouTube version of that same animation so he can watch it on his TV via the YouTube app, generally his preferred way of watching anything.

That said, I don't feel pressured to upload constantly on Newgrounds like I do on YouTube (especially after they introduced the TikTok-like YouTube Shorts)--in fact, it seems my audience on NG would PREFER it that I take as much time as I need to produce animations and illustrations that are at least TV-quality, if not movie-quality.

I also feel like the only uploads that keep me on YouTube as a viewer at this point are the occasional OneyPlays and Snapcube videos--everything else is just politically-motivated misinformation (especially the video essays and reviews on popular movies, sadly--what happened to judging a movie strictly based on its writing and storytelling, and not whether or not you "agree" with the worldviews of the Hollywood people behind it?); extremely-short videos that were mildly entertaining before YouTube forced us to watch annoying ads longer than the videos themselves; art and 3D Blender tutorials that teach bad habits in beginner artists (assuming they are not just over-hyping AI art and/or NFTs instead); and of course the usual algorithm-driven drama that none of us should pay any mind to unless we deliberately want to induce depression in ourselves.

YouTube also demonetized my channel pretty early on, even though my stuff tends to be very G-rated and kid-friendly on mainstream websites, probably for some dumb reason they never bothered to explain to me, like I wasn't working hard enough to grow my subscriber count when I was only 16 years old. I literally have had no motivation to post on YouTube since then other than to re-upload my Newgrounds Movie Portal submissions on a more "mainstream" website (again, so my Dad could watch my animations or other animations I've found on the TV screen easily). That and to maybe post demo reels on a website that I would actually feel comfortable showing to potential industry employers like Disney. I feel like it's better for my own artistic growth to focus on a frankly-tough crowd that wants me to spend more time polishing my fundamentals and composition (The Newgrounds Movie Portal), then just re-post that stuff on YouTube to see if it gets any additional views. I don't want to play the "algorithm" game.

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-02-07 12:22:55

I am into both actually. Love using NG for more mature/niche humour, but in the same way I like using yt on phone.

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-03-05 15:08:47

At 9/3/23 07:00 PM, NightfallGloam wrote: Easily Newgrounds. Especially for animation, YouTube just hasn't been even close to good recently, meanwhile Newgrounds has pretty much always been important for independent, online animation.

That's great to hear. As an indie animator trying to gain an audience with my web series passion project, it is great to know that I am in the right place. It's definitely more difficult to gain a following on YouTube.

I would say that in terms of independent animation, and if you're just a edgier animator in general newgrounds would be the best place to gain exposure, but if know what you're doing youtube can actually be amazing for blowing up over night from animations since its a medium thats really can't be replicated by any other person but you and youtube has such a big viewerbase. What you make will always have your unique spin on it which can easily set you apart to grow an audience. I would say that the community on newgrounds is way better and since the site was literally built for animations and art (and the fact that you're less likely to get fucked over because fucking site is ran by bots half the time and are incapable of understanding humor). Its so much better for making connections and friends. I personally post on both cuz why not

Response to WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER: youtube or newgrounds 2024-04-19 17:35:36

Newgrounds is a car crash in slow motion.

YouTube is a plane crash into a motorway.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature