00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

This Week's Site Updates

6,130 Views | 106 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 10:02:43

At 3/2/24 02:03 PM, AliceMako wrote: How about use of a model you trained exclusively on your own, previously manually made art? Is there a purity test for that or is that too morally objectionable cus feelings and stuff.

There will be exceptions when the art is used for secondary assets. For example this would get a pass if an artist did this to generate backgrounds in their game but it wouldn't get a pass if they uploaded the art to the art portal. A lot of it comes down to "does this allow someone to generate bulk content and fill the site with shovelware instead of meaningful creations."

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 10:17:42

It's invaluable to spell this out no matter how obvious it immediatedly is to you or me, the beauty and the strength of this place is the value we place on people's aspiration and sense of endeavor. The more we spell out, the more we empower, the less we get called on to play whack a mole.

Like right now the bots are crap at coding but any day now they won't be and we should be willing to extend to people why ten uploads of generated snake or hangman are not worthwhile compared to taking a bit of time or effort or whatever is gonna still apply three minutes in to the future for that thing that actually expresses that is something is what we will continue to prefer.

It's gotta be ok to talk through all this cus one way or the other we're all dealing with it.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 10:36:32

AI is so disgusting honestly. End users should be billed for using massive amounts of electricity to generate all this e-junk. The internet is for people, not computers!

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 10:36:40

Newgrounds is atm the very last last place in the online world where the majority of users are against AI-generated submissions. All the other social media are slowly infested with AI supporting NPCs. That hurts.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 10:47:23

At 3/2/24 12:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: This week we added an AI flag option, for when you need to flag a project that was predominantly made by AI. Previously people were using the "Spam" or “Inappropriate” flags as a workaround.

I thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we aren’t selling your personal data to anyone, we aren’t making deals to train AI on your data and we are committed to the open web.

common tom fulp W

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 11:16:16

The fix of the image > link in descriptions is a huge one, thanks Tom / Josh & team!

The knocking will not stop until they make their way to the top

Listen to the Open Door Policy

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 14:31:22

Newgrounds truly is a rare breed these days.

I hope it can continue to go strong.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 15:55:12

At 3/3/24 10:36 AM, Czyszy wrote: Newgrounds is atm the very last last place in the online world where the majority of users are against AI-generated submissions. All the other social media are slowly infested with AI supporting NPCs. That hurts.

Newgrounds is arguably the largest general art site with an anti-AI policy but it's not the only one. Artgram, Inkblot and Cara also are explicitly anti-AI.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 16:07:39

At 3/2/24 12:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: Site Work

This week we added an AI flag option, for when you need to flag a project that was predominantly made by AI. Previously people were using the "Spam" or “Inappropriate” flags as a workaround.

If you have a big list of links on your user page and ran into a bug with sorting them, that is fixed.

Unregistered users now see the Follow button, so they know following artists is an option.

If you noticed missing images in the Wiki, some stuff got misplaced during cleanup but that should be fixed. Let me know if you see missing images anywhere. We're still in an overall internal site cleanup mode where weird things can happen.

Revisiting one of last week’s updates, if you ever experienced the bug where you uploaded an image in the author commentary of a project, only to have it be replaced with a line of text showing the path to where the image should be, that bug is now resolved. You will need to go back to those projects and re-upload the image, however. 

There were a bunch of smaller changes this week, for example if a project has been deleted it will no longer say that it “never existed”, only that it doesn’t exist.

With the PHP update largely in the rearview, the current big project is an overhaul to the feed system. We’re making changes that will reduce database storage and improve performance of the feed, so it should feel snappier if everything works as expected.

Web News

In recent weeks, we learned that Reddit, Tumblr and Wordpress have made deals with AI companies, allowing them to train on user data.

There was also an executive order to stop the sale of personal data to countries like Russia and China. It’s still fair game for companies to sell it everywhere else, though!

Also noteworthy, here’s an Open Letter to Tim Cook, concerning Apple’s efforts to sabotage web apps. Word is that Apple has changed course after this letter but I’m sure they will still be looking for ways to make the web less competitive than apps.

I thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we aren’t selling your personal data to anyone, we aren’t making deals to train AI on your data and we are committed to the open web.

We do have to compete with these companies for your attention, though! If it wasn’t for all the money to be made off personal data, a lot of these platforms might not even exist and NG would have a more level playing field.

Making things more challenging, NG is ad-free on every page except A-rated movies and games, with the goal of being 100% ad-free if enough people become Supporters! If all this sounds good to you, we would really appreciate your support.

Sludge Brothers Kickstarter

PFINNEY is hosting a Kickstarter to create an animated pilot for his original series, Sludge Brothers!

The Kickstarter made decent progress this week, if we can help get it close, it will encourage people to take it all the way in the final days. Here’s some of @PFINNEY’s movies on NG:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/911459
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/803478
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/914032
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/918461

Collabs this Week

Here are some collabs that were released this week!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/918863
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919731
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919630
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919703
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1298129
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1299653

All of the ongoing art for the Dreamcast Collab has been making me wonder how enormous this will be!

Other News

Pixel Day Winners have been announced!

The Music Triathlon is currently in Voting Phase 2!

February 28th - LISA Campfire Collab deadline.
February 28th - Transformers Collab deadline.
February 29th - Pokemon Mystery Meat Collab deadline.

March 1st - Adult Swim Collab deadline.
March 8th - Bug Collab deadline.
March 15th - RIP General Collab deadline.
March 17th - Lucky Collab deadline.
March 20th - Storytime Collab deadline.
March 23rd - Sandwich Collab deadline.

April 3rd - Kamen Rider Collab deadline.
April 15th - Happy Tree Friends Gijinka Collab deadline.
April 20th - Earth Day Collab deadline.
April 21st - Flash Forward deadline.

May 18th - Pico Day

June - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event!
June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.
June 27th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.
June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

long time, since 5-6 years we're using this interface, it should uptade to a new one, still today sounds better as well

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 16:54:31 (edited 2024-03-03 16:55:53)

Really nice updates! Of course, cant go without thanking the ng team for not selling our data or allowing AI junk. Corpos dont seem to care much about privacy or the consequences of AI these days, yknow...So cool! NG being cool as always. It's scary how fast AI is evolving...really.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 17:23:29

iu_1170511_3847739.jpg

A little off topic, but...

I appreciate the stance Newgrounds has taken regarding A.i. in the art portal.

I'm not completely anti-Ai but it would be a shame if great handmade art was lost in a constant flood of low effort/high volume sludge.

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 19:56:25

At 3/2/24 05:46 PM, Czyszy wrote: The future isn't looking very good but I have hopes that won't make passionate artists stop being creative.

I'm good as long as we have our home here on Newgrounds where individual human creativity can thrive.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 20:10:33

have you considered replacing all instances of "AI art" in the guidelines pages with "AI Imagery"?

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 20:14:44

At 3/3/24 08:10 PM, MetalSlayer69 wrote: have you considered replacing all instances of "AI art" in the guidelines pages with "AI Imagery"?

Why does this matter?

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 20:37:50

At 3/3/24 08:14 PM, YendorBear wrote:
At 3/3/24 08:10 PM, MetalSlayer69 wrote: have you considered replacing all instances of "AI art" in the guidelines pages with "AI Imagery"?
Why does this matter?

because typing a text prompt and refreshing 50 times isn't creating art

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 21:24:21 (edited 2024-03-03 21:30:19)

I agree images generated by text-to-image machine learning models don't deserve to be called "art", but it seems the term is here to stay in general parlance. For the purposes of clarity in guidelines, it's best to use language that would be most widely understood. So I think it's probably best to use whatever term is most common, which at this point would be "AI art", even though I don't like it.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-03 22:11:54

Thanks for everything you do for artists.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 08:44:56

At 3/3/24 03:55 PM, Madmazel wrote:
At 3/3/24 10:36 AM, Czyszy wrote: Newgrounds is atm the very last last place in the online world where the majority of users are against AI-generated submissions. All the other social media are slowly infested with AI supporting NPCs. That hurts.
Newgrounds is arguably the largest general art site with an anti-AI policy but it's not the only one. Artgram, Inkblot and Cara also are explicitly anti-AI.

FurAffinity also swang the banhammer as well.

Given what happened to the last tech fad furries publicly objected to, human-made art should come out fine in the end.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 08:57:43 (edited 2024-03-04 08:57:54)

At 3/4/24 07:43 AM, Marjanglers wrote: an AI model trained off of tumblr sounds hilarious, let em burn.

You're not alone on that thought - not in the slightest.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 11:06:16

At 3/2/24 01:27 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/2/24 01:13 PM, thepixelizer wrote: Thanks for the heads up Tom, as soon as I read your post I deleted my Tumblr account.

It wasn’t getting any attention anyway. Not like on here.
I should note, Tumblr does have an option to opt-out of having AI trained on your stuff.

And where can I find it?

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 16:43:33

At 3/3/24 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/2/24 02:03 PM, AliceMako wrote: How about use of a model you trained exclusively on your own, previously manually made art? Is there a purity test for that or is that too morally objectionable cus feelings and stuff.
There will be exceptions when the art is used for secondary assets. For example this would get a pass if an artist did this to generate backgrounds in their game but it wouldn't get a pass if they uploaded the art to the art portal. A lot of it comes down to "does this allow someone to generate bulk content and fill the site with shovelware instead of meaningful creations."

Its a good rule to live by when making an art site.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 21:01:34 (edited 2024-03-04 21:17:00)

At 3/4/24 08:43 PM, Da-Birb wrote: This is an example of a flash game I am working on that uses all the a.i tools i have access too. What is the verdict, this is what i mean. its liekly gunna have a shit ton of a.i generated art and code obviously, as a independent creator would i be required to flag this as a.i. I don't think so but im curious.

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/5478572/preview/filetype/0

I honestly couldn't tell its AI. From a storytelling and visual standpoint you need to have something that separates it from both the AI and from other games like it. Characters, places, things, PLOT, etc. Otherwise this is just bland and boring and would likely score low or be blammed. --Which is kinda getting back to the thing about Shovelware. While the AI may be able to help you save time for simple things, storytelling and audience engagement is more important in a game like this.

I don't want to endlessly stumble through a forest-- I want to be someone that goes to through trial and fire to save my princess from the bad guy as a relatable hero. I want to feel my accomplishments be ripped from me painfully as I see a cut-scene of my princess be graphically smashed against a rock and perish without remorse by the bad guy, never to feel, smile or be loved and rescued. I WANT TO SMASH MY KEYBOARD IN RAGE AS I DESTROY THE BAD GUY IN TANDEM WITH THE RELATABLE HERO, AND ONCE I BEAT THE BAD GUY I WANT TO CRY AS THE STORY/GAME ENDS.

That is a video game I and others would find appealing. Something that will take time, careful planning, and maybe a little AI magic to write otherwise tedious trival code. Not a full on AI coded dungeon and hyper-detailed AI art pictures!!!

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 21:39:13

At 3/4/24 08:43 PM, Da-Birb wrote: This is an example of a flash game I am working on that uses all the a.i tools i have access too. What is the verdict, this is what i mean. its liekly gunna have a shit ton of a.i generated art and code obviously, as a independent creator would i be required to flag this as a.i. I don't think so but im curious.

AI is not permitted on Newgrounds as per the submission policies.

It would be flagged and removed by mods.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-04 22:27:17 (edited 2024-03-04 22:27:45)

At 3/4/24 09:39 PM, Griffonmender wrote:

Actually, the Game Guidelines does not list AI as prohibited. Fair point to @Da-Birb

It does however state "Your game must not be shovelware made to serve ads or promote your site. If you didn't take personal pride and care in the creation of the content, leave it off NG."

I think thats a bit open ended and probably staff will make the determination, assuming the users don't decide first via votes.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 00:42:35

At 3/4/24 09:40 PM, Da-Birb wrote:

Lmao what?

Art Portal Guidelines:

https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/art-guidelines

Direct quote:

"AI-generated art is not allowed in the Art Portal. This includes using tools such as Midjourney, Dall-E, and CrAIyon, in addition fractal generators and websites like ArtBreeder, where the user selects two images and they are combined into a new image via machine learning"

Audio guidelines also addresses this: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/audio-guidelines

As do the movie guidelines: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/movie-guidelines

Game guidelines doesn't have an AI section *yet*, but the existing policy contains the following:

"Rights and Ownership

You must be the creator and owner of the game you are submitting.

You must have rights to the music in your game, or be using music that grants rights freely. Your favorite song from the radio can't be played here.

Your game must not be a modified version of someone else's work, including tutorial files.

Your game must not use Angry Birds or Super Mario Bros. characters/sprites. In general you shouldn't be using any sprites you don't have full rights to.

Do not include copyrighted video clips or photographs that you did not create."

If your game, as you yourself have stated, has "a shit ton of a.i generated art and code", then it most likely violates the Rights and Ownership portion of the game submission guidelines, as these materials are not created by you and the programs that created them rely on indiscriminately scraping images you do not have the rights to.

The new AI flag feature isn't a label to apply to a submission- it is a new option in the existing report system to report AI content so the mods can take it down, as explained in the site update article.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 01:00:17

At 3/5/24 12:53 AM, Da-Birb wrote:
At 3/5/24 12:42 AM, Griffonmender wrote:
At 3/4/24 09:40 PM, Da-Birb wrote:

Lmao what?
Art Portal Guidelines:
https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/art-guidelines

Direct quote:
"AI-generated art is not allowed in the Art Portal. This includes using tools such as Midjourney, Dall-E, and CrAIyon, in addition fractal generators and websites like ArtBreeder, where the user selects two images and they are combined into a new image via machine learning"

Audio guidelines also addresses this: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/audio-guidelines

As do the movie guidelines: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/movie-guidelines

Game guidelines doesn't have an AI section *yet*, but the existing policy contains the following:
"Rights and Ownership

You must be the creator and owner of the game you are submitting.

You must have rights to the music in your game, or be using music that grants rights freely. Your favorite song from the radio can't be played here.

Your game must not be a modified version of someone else's work, including tutorial files.

Your game must not use Angry Birds or Super Mario Bros. characters/sprites. In general you shouldn't be using any sprites you don't have full rights to.

Do not include copyrighted video clips or photographs that you did not create."

If your game, as you yourself have stated, has "a shit ton of a.i generated art and code", then it most likely violates the Rights and Ownership portion of the game submission guidelines, as these materials are not created by you and the programs that created them rely on indiscriminately scraping images you do not have the rights to.

The new AI flag feature isn't a label to apply to a submission- it is a new option in the existing report system to report AI content so the mods can take it down, as explained in the site update article.
what the fuck does most likely mean. please go on bud

You didn't create the AI content, and as stated in the Games Submission policy, "You must be the creator and owner of the game you are submitting.".

If your game is AI generated, and thus not created by you, it will violate the Submission Guidelines and be taken down as a result.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 01:06:13

At 3/3/24 06:26 AM, Roksim wrote: Hey guys! Any idea how to hide the AI stuff on here? I don't really feel like seeing it, so if there is an option to hide it, I'd love to know how!

The flag option in the update is for reporting AI, as it's not allowed on Newgrounds.

If you see any, hit report.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 06:10:30

At 3/5/24 01:06 AM, Griffonmender wrote:
At 3/3/24 06:26 AM, Roksim wrote: Hey guys! Any idea how to hide the AI stuff on here? I don't really feel like seeing it, so if there is an option to hide it, I'd love to know how!
The flag option in the update is for reporting AI, as it's not allowed on Newgrounds.
If you see any, hit report.

Oooohh!! Ooh, ooh... I see! I didn't realize that, thanks for finally clarifying it for me!! Okay!!

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 06:37:20 (edited 2024-03-05 06:44:45)

What I don't get is, why not use placeholder graphics while the game is clearly still in a very unfinished phase (like you did with the goblins and orcs in the forest). Or why not use free assets, either during development or in the finished game?

Once you have something that's playable you can use that when looking for an artist to collab with, or even try to attempt to make your own - lots of popular games on Newgrounds have simple or crude-looking graphics. But people will be able to tell that it's made by a human, and they'll appreciate that.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 07:26:25

At 3/2/24 12:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: Site Work

This week we added an AI flag option, for when you need to flag a project that was predominantly made by AI. Previously people were using the "Spam" or “Inappropriate” flags as a workaround.

If you have a big list of links on your user page and ran into a bug with sorting them, that is fixed.

Unregistered users now see the Follow button, so they know following artists is an option.

If you noticed missing images in the Wiki, some stuff got misplaced during cleanup but that should be fixed. Let me know if you see missing images anywhere. We're still in an overall internal site cleanup mode where weird things can happen.

Revisiting one of last week’s updates, if you ever experienced the bug where you uploaded an image in the author commentary of a project, only to have it be replaced with a line of text showing the path to where the image should be, that bug is now resolved. You will need to go back to those projects and re-upload the image, however. 

There were a bunch of smaller changes this week, for example if a project has been deleted it will no longer say that it “never existed”, only that it doesn’t exist.

With the PHP update largely in the rearview, the current big project is an overhaul to the feed system. We’re making changes that will reduce database storage and improve performance of the feed, so it should feel snappier if everything works as expected.

Web News

In recent weeks, we learned that Reddit, Tumblr and Wordpress have made deals with AI companies, allowing them to train on user data.

There was also an executive order to stop the sale of personal data to countries like Russia and China. It’s still fair game for companies to sell it everywhere else, though!

Also noteworthy, here’s an Open Letter to Tim Cook, concerning Apple’s efforts to sabotage web apps. Word is that Apple has changed course after this letter but I’m sure they will still be looking for ways to make the web less competitive than apps.

We do have to compete with these companies for your attention, though! If it wasn’t for all the money to be made off personal data, a lot of these platforms might not even exist and NG would have a more level playing field.

Making things more challenging, NG is ad-free on every page except A-rated movies and games, with the goal of being 100% ad-free if enough people become Supporters! If all this sounds good to you, we would really appreciate your support.

Sludge Brothers Kickstarter

PFINNEY is hosting a Kickstarter to create an animated pilot for his original series, Sludge Brothers!

The Kickstarter made decent progress this week, if we can help get it close, it will encourage people to take it all the way in the final days. Here’s some of @PFINNEY’s movies on NG:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/911459
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/803478
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/914032
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/918461

Collabs this Week

Here are some collabs that were released this week!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/918863
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919731
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919630
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919703
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1298129
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1299653

All of the ongoing art for the Dreamcast Collab has been making me wonder how enormous this will be!

Other News

Pixel Day Winners have been announced!

The Music Triathlon is currently in Voting Phase 2!

February 28th - LISA Campfire Collab deadline.
February 28th - Transformers Collab deadline.
February 29th - Pokemon Mystery Meat Collab deadline.

March 1st - Adult Swim Collab deadline.
March 8th - Bug Collab deadline.
March 15th - RIP General Collab deadline.
March 17th - Lucky Collab deadline.
March 20th - Storytime Collab deadline.
March 23rd - Sandwich Collab deadline.

April 3rd - Kamen Rider Collab deadline.
April 15th - Happy Tree Friends Gijinka Collab deadline.
April 20th - Earth Day Collab deadline.
April 21st - Flash Forward deadline.

May 18th - Pico Day

June - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event!
June 2nd - Dreamcast Collab extended deadline.
June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.
June 27th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.
June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

Thanks for not selling my data Tom

The army of marshes

BBS Signature