00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

This Week's Site Updates

6,132 Views | 106 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 09:35:38 (edited 2024-03-05 09:35:48)

Maybe after the feed fix, someone can make it possible to have animated gif profile pics!

First post also

None

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 13:45:31

At 3/2/24 12:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: Site Work

This week we added an AI flag option, for when you need to flag a project that was predominantly made by AI. Previously people were using the "Spam" or “Inappropriate” flags as a workaround.

If you have a big list of links on your user page and ran into a bug with sorting them, that is fixed.

Unregistered users now see the Follow button, so they know following artists is an option.

If you noticed missing images in the Wiki, some stuff got misplaced during cleanup but that should be fixed. Let me know if you see missing images anywhere. We're still in an overall internal site cleanup mode where weird things can happen.

Revisiting one of last week’s updates, if you ever experienced the bug where you uploaded an image in the author commentary of a project, only to have it be replaced with a line of text showing the path to where the image should be, that bug is now resolved. You will need to go back to those projects and re-upload the image, however. 

There were a bunch of smaller changes this week, for example if a project has been deleted it will no longer say that it “never existed”, only that it doesn’t exist.

With the PHP update largely in the rearview, the current big project is an overhaul to the feed system. We’re making changes that will reduce database storage and improve performance of the feed, so it should feel snappier if everything works as expected.

Web News

In recent weeks, we learned that Reddit, Tumblr and Wordpress have made deals with AI companies, allowing them to train on user data.

There was also an executive order to stop the sale of personal data to countries like Russia and China. It’s still fair game for companies to sell it everywhere else, though!

Also noteworthy, here’s an Open Letter to Tim Cook, concerning Apple’s efforts to sabotage web apps. Word is that Apple has changed course after this letter but I’m sure they will still be looking for ways to make the web less competitive than apps.

I thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we aren’t selling your personal data to anyone, we aren’t making deals to train AI on your data and we are committed to the open web.

We do have to compete with these companies for your attention, though! If it wasn’t for all the money to be made off personal data, a lot of these platforms might not even exist and NG would have a more level playing field.

Making things more challenging, NG is ad-free on every page except A-rated movies and games, with the goal of being 100% ad-free if enough people become Supporters! If all this sounds good to you, we would really appreciate your support.

Sludge Brothers Kickstarter

PFINNEY is hosting a Kickstarter to create an animated pilot for his original series, Sludge Brothers!

The Kickstarter made decent progress this week, if we can help get it close, it will encourage people to take it all the way in the final days. Here’s some of @PFINNEY’s movies on NG:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/911459
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/803478
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/914032
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/918461

Collabs this Week

Here are some collabs that were released this week!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/918863
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919731
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919630
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/919703
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1298129
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1299653

All of the ongoing art for the Dreamcast Collab has been making me wonder how enormous this will be!

Other News

Pixel Day Winners have been announced!

The Music Triathlon is currently in Voting Phase 2!

February 28th - LISA Campfire Collab deadline.
February 28th - Transformers Collab deadline.
February 29th - Pokemon Mystery Meat Collab deadline.

March 1st - Adult Swim Collab deadline.
March 8th - Bug Collab deadline.
March 15th - RIP General Collab deadline.
March 17th - Lucky Collab deadline.
March 20th - Storytime Collab deadline.
March 23rd - Sandwich Collab deadline.

April 3rd - Kamen Rider Collab deadline.
April 15th - Happy Tree Friends Gijinka Collab deadline.
April 20th - Earth Day Collab deadline.
April 21st - Flash Forward deadline.

May 18th - Pico Day

June - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event!
June 2nd - Dreamcast Collab extended deadline.
June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.
June 27th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.
June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

Thank you and the NG team for giving a damn and not selling our data.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-05 21:06:39

this update is genuinely great! keep up the great work!

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 03:52:16

At 3/2/24 12:59 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/2/24 12:56 PM, Czyszy wrote: does the AI flag also apply to games coded with the assistance of ChatGPT or smth?
Assistance is generally ok, this would be more for cases where someone tells ChatGPT "create a Snake game" and uploads the output to NG. This will become more and more common as AI models evolve, similar to how things like Sora will result in more animations purely created via AI prompt.

Both my two most recent games have been banned right after this update. They were not made by a prompt, I spent hours of coding on them. However, they had a lot of images and music and both were created with AI.

What I suggest is to update the Game Guidelines because it doesn't say anything about AI in there. Right now, every rule seems to be in your head and impossible to understand. What I suggest is to add something like "Don't upload a game if you couldn't have made it without extensive use of AI".

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 09:17:38

Hey @tomfulp I just noticed my authenticator app shows the newgrounds logo. That's cool if you did something to make that happen.

My drawing - animation threads.

I like the act of writing and animation.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 09:54:31

At 3/6/24 09:17 AM, xeiavica wrote: Hey @tomfulp I just noticed my authenticator app shows the newgrounds logo. That's cool if you did something to make that happen.

It pulls that in from our meta data, I'm assuming.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 09:58:25

At 3/6/24 09:54 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/6/24 09:17 AM, xeiavica wrote: Hey @tomfulp I just noticed my authenticator app shows the newgrounds logo. That's cool if you did something to make that happen.
It pulls that in from our meta data, I'm assuming.

@TomFulp, Do You Want To Add Weekly Awards On The Audio Listen Pages?

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 11:39:22

always ahead of the game

O prudente varão há de ser mudo,

Que é melhor neste mundo, mar de enganos,

Ser louco c’os demais, que só, sisudo

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 18:36:54

At 3/2/24 12:56 PM, Czyszy wrote: does the AI flag also apply to games coded with the assistance of ChatGPT or smth?
Assistance is generally ok, this would be more for cases where someone tells ChatGPT "create a Snake game" and uploads the output to NG. This will become more and more common as AI models evolve, similar to how things like Sora will result in more animations purely created via AI prompt.

Great to see the way you are handling AI, this is the way :D

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 20:52:33 (edited 2024-03-06 20:55:35)

At 3/6/24 08:44 PM, Da-Birb wrote: I obviously do not want to see the art portal or animation portals fill up with thoughtless a.i work, but we need more discussion as people integrate these tools into thier lives ( whether you like it or not )
I have been playing with a.i for a long time, and i can tell you there is an art form to it, and to dismiss some ones creation only because of a.i is outrageous. and its with in this new terriority ng can become to dominate and attract new people into the creative processes, that otherwise we may not have been able to reach.

In my experience before I quit playing MMOs, those people tend not to be the nicest people around-- and in my opinion all they think about all day is money. They won't want to give Tom money or contribute anything back, they'll just want to make money for themselves.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-06 20:57:54

At 3/6/24 08:55 PM, Da-Birb wrote:
At 3/6/24 08:52 PM, YendorBear wrote:
At 3/6/24 08:44 PM, Da-Birb wrote: I obviously do not want to see the art portal or animation portals fill up with thoughtless a.i work, but we need more discussion as people integrate these tools into thier lives ( whether you like it or not )
I have been playing with a.i for a long time, and i can tell you there is an art form to it, and to dismiss some ones creation only because of a.i is outrageous. and its with in this new terriority ng can become to dominate and attract new people into the creative processes, that otherwise we may not have been able to reach.
In my experience before I quit playing MMOs, those people tend not to be the nicest people around-- and in my opinion all they think about all day is money. They don't want to give Tom money, they just want to make money for themselves.
The fuck are you even responding to?

Nothing, go back to your DMT.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-07 08:45:43

Tom can you add file sizes back into movie/games submissions? Things take forever to load for me and ruffle doesn't show a loading bar and I don't want to wait forever for a crappy submission to load.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-09 05:45:48

At 3/6/24 08:41 PM, Da-Birb wrote:
At 3/6/24 03:52 AM, kk2oven wrote:
Both my two most recent games have been banned right after this update. They were not made by a prompt, I spent hours of coding on them. However, they had a lot of images and music and both were created with AI.

What I suggest is to update the Game Guidelines because it doesn't say anything about AI in there. Right now, every rule seems to be in your head and impossible to understand. What I suggest is to add something like "Don't upload a game if you couldn't have made it without extensive use of AI".
I dont see why people should not be encouraged to use a.i to make things they maybe otherwise couldn't. where your games deleted or did they get zero bombed?

My games were unpublished. It's their website, they can choose what content they allow. I wish the rules were clearly stated though.

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-10 09:58:04

At 3/3/24 10:11 PM, RjainXIV wrote: Thanks for everything you do for artists.

Thanks! I got your message about your notifications not updating, so I thought this would be a good opportunity for a test reply to see if you get it in your notifications.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-15 23:05:54

Don't wanna post this in the more recent news as its way too offtopic for them, but I was wondering are there any plans to include clickable timestamps in description? Could be useful for audio interviews & podcasts, as well as possibly some animated stuff.

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-16 07:42:40

At 3/15/24 11:05 PM, Kolumbo wrote: Don't wanna post this in the more recent news as its way too offtopic for them, but I was wondering are there any plans to include clickable timestamps in description? Could be useful for audio interviews & podcasts, as well as possibly some animated stuff.

We have an open ticket for that feature, not sure about an ETA though.

BBS Signature

Response to This Week's Site Updates 2024-03-19 05:54:23

iu_1177305_3945050.png

lol xD

BBS Signature