00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Whats something you HATE about your art?

1,355 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

To add variety to the postings here:

Positivity about what you do and create is great and all, but nobody improves without critical self-reflection

So...

Whats something you absolutely despise about your current art and want to eliminate? More importantly, how do you plan on working past or around it?

- For me, I find that my illustration quality has mostly stagnated over the past few years, and at times has had massive decreases in quality. Continuing to make illustrations mindlessly hasnt helped with this.

-The way I plan to tackle this issue is to move away from static illustrations and towards animations or short comics, as they seem to improve quality-wise each time I attempt them, and can often reveil inadiquecies that I was unable to see before. I also should do lighting and texture studies, as im pretty weak in those catagories.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 05:58:30

At 4/17/24 05:46 AM, Dr-Freebase wrote: To add variety to the postings here:

Positivity about what you do and create is great and all, but nobody improves without critical self-reflection

So...

Whats something you absolutely despise about your current art and want to eliminate? More importantly, how do you plan on working past or around it?

- For me, I find that my illustration quality has mostly stagnated over the past few years, and at times has had massive decreases in quality. Continuing to make illustrations mindlessly hasnt helped with this.

-The way I plan to tackle this issue is to move away from static illustrations and towards animations or short comics, as they seem to improve quality-wise each time I attempt them, and can often reveil inadiquecies that I was unable to see before. I also should do lighting and texture studies, as im pretty weak in those catagories.

I would say I hate my art in general because for me it was always something I did for fun with friends, now that I'm alone I just do it trying to see if I can do it and while I can, it leaves me pondering at a hole in my heart. I don't even feel the need to improve or change my art, I feel it speaks for me and if people see it and think "It's shit" I wouldn't care, they'd think the same if I wrote a book or gave a speech. It's not the quality, it's not the drawing, it's not even the content, it's the sentiment.

All the problems, make me wanna go, like a bad girl, straight to video, little darling, welcome to the show, I'M a failure played in stereo...

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 05:59:18

So...

I feel like I don’t improve fast enough, I didn’t had much improvement gap as big as between 2021 and 2022, probably because I do not draw as much as before. Despite what people says about my art quality increasing fast, I do not believe it is really the case.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 06:09:12

At 4/17/24 05:58 AM, Mazooe wrote:

So...

I would say I hate my art in general because for me it was always something I did for fun with friends, now that I'm alone I just do it trying to see if I can do it and while I can, it leaves me pondering at a hole in my heart. I don't even feel the need to improve or change my art, I feel it speaks for me and if people see it and think "It's shit" I wouldn't care, they'd think the same if I wrote a book or gave a speech. It's not the quality, it's not the drawing, it's not even the content, it's the sentiment.

I share a similar feeling. Most drawings I made this year are doodles I made on a online whiteboard with friends, and when I ain’t with them, I just don’t draw at all because I don’t have any motivations. All improvements I made are not intentional. Because art is about sharing a feeling, and I no longer have any feelings to share. I also think that you are not completely alone, you can still try to contact your friends to be with them more or make new ones. (it can be anywhere, it doesn’t matter) There will always be someone who would be interested in interacting with you, you just gotta make sure there’s interest in both sides. Nobody would not want to be with you if there’s no actual reason or if it’s not intentional and I don’t think you did anything wrong.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 06:40:21

I don't hate anything about my art.

What I do hate is my own lack of commitment.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 06:56:05

At 4/17/24 06:09 AM, EPSco wrote:

So...

I share a similar feeling. Most drawings I made this year are doodles I made on a online whiteboard with friends, and when I ain’t with them, I just don’t draw at all because I don’t have any motivations. All improvements I made are not intentional. Because art is about sharing a feeling, and I no longer have any feelings to share. I also think that you are not completely alone, you can still try to contact your friends to be with them more or make new ones. (it can be anywhere, it doesn’t matter) There will always be someone who would be interested in interacting with you, you just gotta make sure there’s interest in both sides. Nobody would not want to be with you if there’s no actual reason or if it’s not intentional and I don’t think you did anything wrong.

Yeah, I never close doors to would-be friends, I just had so many bad experiences with people that I take it awfully slow. As for art, I think there's a lot of "good artists" who puke like five perfectly drawn anime fanarts on Twitter and get a good rep but I learned to love that my drawings are a "stylish" crap that, while it looks ugly it has content, it's not some fanart or some portrait, it's a way of expressing myself.

All the problems, make me wanna go, like a bad girl, straight to video, little darling, welcome to the show, I'M a failure played in stereo...

BBS Signature

the thing i hate about your art is that you made a new thread to post some in and didnt even post any. the fuck.

the thing i hate about mazooes art is they are too focused on themselves and how much attention they both simultaneously are and are not getting for it, and for constantly soliciting nsfw art of a character that looks like shit.

the thing i hate about epscos art is that they use blinding white backgrounds. bad presentation.

the thing i hate about zekewatsons art is that he doesnt fucking have any. post some art.

the thing i hate about my art is that I still give a shit about it. i should be free but im not.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 07:42:10

At 4/17/24 06:56 AM, Mazooe wrote:

So...

Yeah, I never close doors to would-be friends, I just had so many bad experiences with people that I take it awfully slow. As for art, I think there's a lot of "good artists" who puke like five perfectly drawn anime fanarts on Twitter and get a good rep but I learned to love that my drawings are a "stylish" crap that, while it looks ugly it has content, it's not some fanart or some portrait, it's a way of expressing myself.

Oh, I understand how terrible your previous experiences were, I myself recently had many bad relationships (I even used to be friends with Weegeepie, it speaks by itself) but while it is good for you to be more careful, try to be friendly and interact with them. Of course you do not have to be friends with anyone but just saying. I probably would've been known more if I drew trending anime content but honestly, I don't wanna rely myself on trends, I just wanna draw whatever I want, even if it doesn't try to say anything.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 07:54:39

At 4/17/24 07:01 AM, Template88 wrote: the thing i hate about your art is that you made a new thread to post some in and didnt even post any. the fuck.

the thing i hate about mazooes art is they are too focused on themselves and how much attention they both simultaneously are and are not getting for it, and for constantly soliciting nsfw art of a character that looks like shit.

the thing i hate about epscos art is that they use blinding white backgrounds. bad presentation.

the thing i hate about zekewatsons art is that he doesnt fucking have any. post some art.

the thing i hate about my art is that I still give a shit about it. i should be free but im not.

black background ain't it either

Right now, there is nothing I really hate about my art, because I believe I'm still at the skill level, where anything can be improved.

Besides, I'm terrible at criticizing my own product.

EDIT:

Well, ok. There is one thing that I do hate about my art that I refuse to change. It's not a technical thing. It's the sheer fact I enjoy drawing fetish art.

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 09:36:11

At 4/17/24 08:06 AM, Czyszy wrote: Right now, there is nothing I really hate about my art, because I believe I'm still at the skill level, where anything can be improved.

Besides, I'm terrible at criticizing my own product.

EDIT:
Well, ok. There is one thing that I do hate about my art that I refuse to change. It's not a technical thing. It's the sheer fact I enjoy drawing fetish art.

I mean, don't change it then. If you remove the thing that you enjoy the most when making art then I don't think you will be able to enjoy that activity as much as before.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 09:44:19

If you remove the thing that you enjoy the most when making art then I don't think you will be able to enjoy that activity as much as before.

Haha. The fact I enjoy doing it so much is exactly why I hate it. B) To be fair, a fetish is something you develop as a little kid and something you can't get rid of. It's both a curse and a blessing. You just roll with it! The key is to figure out a specific niche online space and/or community where you're free to share your fetish fuel art and only share it over there. B)

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 09:57:37

At 4/17/24 09:44 AM, Czyszy wrote:
Haha. The fact I enjoy doing it so much is exactly why I hate it. B) To be fair, a fetish is something you develop as a little kid and something you can't get rid of. It's both a curse and a blessing. You just roll with it! The key is to figure out a specific niche online space and/or community where you're free to share your fetish fuel art and only share it over there. B)

Well even tho it limits the amount of people who could enjoy your arts, I'm pretty sure those specific communities would be glad to interact with ya

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 10:47:21

None

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 11:22:17

At 4/17/24 10:47 AM, Waterina wrote: None

Blimey, that's a lot.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 12:33:07

I'm too slow to game an algorithm, too low skilled to beat the odds.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 13:10:53

We'd be here all day, lads.

also,

> artists in this thread trashing their own art

> look in art tabs

> see art much better than mine

iu_1190806_11718640.jpg

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 13:21:35

wtf happened here

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 13:31:47

At 4/17/24 01:21 PM, Dr-Freebase wrote: wtf happened here

No idea but Oddlem’s right that it either has or should have been taken up with mods in the past. I’ll delete the posts and it can be brought up via PMs if needed.

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 13:33:26

At 4/17/24 01:10 PM, switzrr wrote: We'd be here all day, lads.

also,

> artists in this thread trashing their own art
> look in art tabs
> see art much better than mine

That feeling always comes back time to time...

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 14:22:02

I do not hate anything about my art. There are very little things I hate in life as hate is such of strong emotion and it is a poison. In my life are 2 kind of things : Things I can change and those I cannot.

I work on the 1st and do not think of the last, and thus there's little hate in my life. Including my own art.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 14:52:59

So...

At the moment it would have to be more human eyes I don’t know what it is but they look unnatural and maybe improving more when it comes to backgrounds

Toniestbook

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 15:00:06

At 4/17/24 02:22 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I do not hate anything about my art. There are very little things I hate in life as hate is such of strong emotion and it is a poison.

is it possible to learn this power?

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 16:09:22

At 4/17/24 07:42 AM, EPSco wrote:
At 4/17/24 06:56 AM, Mazooe wrote:

So...

Oh, I understand how terrible your previous experiences were, I myself recently had many bad relationships (I even used to be friends with Weegeepie, it speaks by itself) but while it is good for you to be more careful, try to be friendly and interact with them. Of course you do not have to be friends with anyone but just saying. I probably would've been known more if I drew trending anime content but honestly, I don't wanna rely myself on trends, I just wanna draw whatever I want, even if it doesn't try to say anything.

I don't wanna rely myself on trends, I just wanna draw whatever I want, even if it doesn't try to say anything.

This. This is why I'll never be a "good" artist in the mainstream (and why I quit social media and art communities) They're so locked up in either doing fanarts or crappy OCs (lol who's talking?) in super realistic, anime or "disney" style that there ends up being no fucking variety. I take pride in drawing in a "edgy early 2000s emo" style because at least it represents the message I'm trying to get through. It became so bad at one point that I literally enjoyed photography (taking and watching) more than drawing something that in the end would look like a photo.

Art is for the wild of spirit, for the untamed, if I want my bitch to have two bulging eyes like a preying mantis yet the "art community" says it's poorly drawn I don't give a shit because my mission is said and done.

BBS Signature

So...

I don't really HATE my art per se (aside from minor anatomical flaws)... It's more of the amount of effort I take, and I get either little to no engagement or somehow attract the wrong types of people. Not to mention, the inability to try new mediums (ex. animating or making comics) due to me feeling overwhelmed.

BBS Signature

At 4/17/24 03:00 PM, beanvamp wrote:
At 4/17/24 02:22 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I do not hate anything about my art. There are very little things I hate in life as hate is such of strong emotion and it is a poison.

Yes. I did learn it - I used to be like polar opposite I am today. Last genuinely "I hate myself and all i do" was as recent as in 2022, when I realized how AI is going to impact art world and I hated the very fact I did any art and had wasted my life doing it.

Sat in floor 3 days straight staring blank, sorting my thoughts. Re-calibrated my brain once again and nudged the 2 brain-cells left inside my skull. I am here for the process and how can I hate my art I do since it is not the destination why I am doing it. When I love the process, then does outcome even matter or if anyone presses like on it online?

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 21:01:06

At 4/17/24 05:01 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
At 4/17/24 03:00 PM, beanvamp wrote:
Yes. I did learn it - I used to be like polar opposite I am today. Last genuinely "I hate myself and all i do" was as recent as in 2022, when I realized how AI is going to impact art world and I hated the very fact I did any art and had wasted my life doing it.

Sat in floor 3 days straight staring blank, sorting my thoughts. Re-calibrated my brain once again and nudged the 2 brain-cells left inside my skull. I am here for the process and how can I hate my art I do since it is not the destination why I am doing it. When I love the process, then does outcome even matter or if anyone presses like on it online?

Its a wonderful realization once you love the process, in the same way Happiness is a state of mind and not a destination, art is much the same. Just go with it, and sure there will be frustrations and roadblocks certainly but take each day a step at a time in your art journey and enjoy the ride. Who knows when times up wouldnt you rather live without regrets ?

No fear. No pain.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-17 21:27:35

Never put in the effort to do a good background.

Terrible at drawing people and poses.

Too impatient to do a final pass on any of my art. If I waited a week and looked at it with fresh eyes, I know I could make it look better.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 05:51:07

At 4/17/24 09:27 PM, Yopenatals wrote: Never put in the effort to do a good background.

Terrible at drawing people and poses.

Too impatient to do a final pass on any of my art. If I waited a week and looked at it with fresh eyes, I know I could make it look better.

yeah sometimes I just feel too lazy to make a background, the most recent art piece on my profile took almost 4 hours and I just wanted it done

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 08:02:28

That I'm not enjoying it rn.