00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duckyellow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Whats something you HATE about your art?

1,356 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 14:21:23

I'm not sure if I can really hate, I think the only things I wish to improve on is my line art (I don't have a reall steady hand, so I tried to work with it) and my color rendering, I feel like it never comes out right lol.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 14:27:37

At 4/17/24 07:01 AM, Template88 wrote: the thing i hate about my art is that I still give a shit about it. i should be free but im not.

There's no escape. You're bound to your art forever.

iu_1191324_9507916.jpg

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 18:17:44

At 4/17/24 05:46 AM, Dr-Freebase wrote: To add variety to the postings here:

Positivity about what you do and create is great and all, but nobody improves without critical self-reflection

So...

Whats something you absolutely despise about your current art and want to eliminate? More importantly, how do you plan on working past or around it?

- For me, I find that my illustration quality has mostly stagnated over the past few years, and at times has had massive decreases in quality. Continuing to make illustrations mindlessly hasnt helped with this.

-The way I plan to tackle this issue is to move away from static illustrations and towards animations or short comics, as they seem to improve quality-wise each time I attempt them, and can often reveil inadiquecies that I was unable to see before. I also should do lighting and texture studies, as im pretty weak in those catagories.

i am allergic to holding a single artstyle

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 20:33:18

Now that the thread is no longer about shitting on other people, apparently, I guess I’ll contribute.

The thing I hate about my art is that no matter what goals I set for it, I never end up improving. I want to look less anime, I want to do better line art, this and that. But it rarely ever works.

I don’t know if it’s a motivation problem or just a lack of guidance with exactly how to do things visually that I want to do. I tend to need a reference for a style, technique, or subject matter if I want to diverge from my usual, so can imagine that it frustrates those of you who are trying to help me when you try to explain things in words and I just don’t get it. (It probably is also motivation - I still get discouraged when I’m faced with the idea of needing to put more effort into my work than I already do. My schedule makes it take a long time to finish anything, and things that take a long time are daunting to me.)

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-18 20:46:33

At 4/18/24 08:33 PM, Thetageist wrote: Now that the thread is no longer about shitting on other people, apparently, I guess I’ll contribute.

The thing I hate about my art is that no matter what goals I set for it, I never end up improving. I want to look less anime, I want to do better line art, this and that. But it rarely ever works.

I don’t know if it’s a motivation problem or just a lack of guidance with exactly how to do things visually that I want to do. I tend to need a reference for a style, technique, or subject matter if I want to diverge from my usual, so can imagine that it frustrates those of you who are trying to help me when you try to explain things in words and I just don’t get it. (It probably is also motivation - I still get discouraged when I’m faced with the idea of needing to put more effort into my work than I already do. My schedule makes it take a long time to finish anything, and things that take a long time are daunting to me.)

do a few quick anatomy and forum studies a week. Regular focused practice adds up quickly, and lineart improves if you put in a focused effort to make it cohesive with the rest of the image

again I'm not good at art, but I find having intention and thought behind what your doing improves the quality drastically, as opposed to just making something for the sake of making something

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 02:31:27

I found out recently that close ups and larger scale drawings (like in size on the page) are weirdly difficult for me so that

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 02:44:15

Laziness.

I am always lazy at anything, sometimes hard-working on art but not that much, to be honest.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 03:21:24

At 4/18/24 06:17 PM, soapchuwa wrote:

Positivity about what you do and create is great and all, but nobody improves without critical self-reflection

So...

Whats something you absolutely despise about your current art and want to eliminate? More importantly, how do you plan on working past or around it?

- For me, I find that my illustration quality has mostly stagnated over the past few years, and at times has had massive decreases in quality. Continuing to make illustrations mindlessly hasnt helped with this.

-The way I plan to tackle this issue is to move away from static illustrations and towards animations or short comics, as they seem to improve quality-wise each time I attempt them, and can often reveil inadiquecies that I was unable to see before. I also should do lighting and texture studies, as im pretty weak in those catagories.
i am allergic to holding a single artstyle

I don’t see anything negative in this honestly lol, it’s always good to know how to draw multiple art styles.

So...

I stink at proportioning, the ideas aren't enough when it comes to quantity/quality, I ESPECIALLY hate that I cannot draw art as more 3D or even at any other perspective other than horizontally. Speaking of perspective I'm 90% sure I got it wrong.

This is particularly true with the new piece of art I tried drawing yesterday since I couldn't seem to get the right angle. Especially with the lower body-which btw looks like jello. The reason being that I tried drawing it with a front foot/ back foot deal but have never tried that before. It ended up bad and I gave myself stick figure legs. I didn't even bother keeping the hair since it looked worse. I said "Fuck it. Make 'em bald."

I also have a horrible habit of pressing down too hard on the paper so I usually end up with REALLY dark lines that are hard to erase. So I usually say "fuck it" and outline it with a black colored pencil. And for some reason I randomly get ideas in the middle of the night most of the time. Yesterday my idea came up at devil's hour (I just found that out when searching the time of day it was when I drew it).

Some paranormal activity right there...

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 04:08:35

kinda stiff ig

im still shit at dynamic poses however ill keep trying

iu_1191544_9258099.webp

I ATE EXPIRED BREAD AND PASSED OFF TEMPORARILY

MY LINKTREE YOU RETARDS

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 06:35:06

The feeling of knowing that I could be better if I just had the patiences to practice. Most of the time I can only have patiences for one evening and that's it. If I'm lucky it lasts for two.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 08:03:17

lack of textures and general stiffness, specially on finished products

i need to update my signature image

i draw

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 09:13:44

It's a close tie between "nothing" and "idk".

But for the sake of answering I guess I hate it when I submit a piece then immediately notice a ton of imperfections and I just wanna go back on it and make a dozen tweaks, clean up the linework, etc. But perfect is the enemy of done, so I've just learned to let it slide.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 15:41:12

I suppose I'm unsatisfied with it lacking pneuma, despite all the emotions that get poured into these creations and how well they turn out. Something that brings it closer to life. Animation is the closest substitute to that. But even then it's just that, a substitute, an animation. It's not something I hate. It's just like an itch that'll never go away. Something that can never be fully satisfied.

But that also serves as a good motivator and would probably be for the best that no way is found around that. Nonetheless I still like my creations.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 16:37:34

Is not that I hate it or that I'm unsatisfied with it, but a lot of times I feel I could do things better, either for a drawing I just made or for something from some time ago, it's probably just the learning process.

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 16:37:56

So...

Well my quality on traditional art compared to digital is massive, that’s all. It looks awful in digital, but I’m practicing more on digital to somehow learn to get familiar with digital software

Rusted through time, still on my feet

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 16:52:39

It doesn’t exist yet

you guys like my tunes?

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 19:26:35

Two things, mainly:

1. I procrastinate... A lot. I have all these ideas for art but I never actually do any of them because I easily get distracted by other things. Usually wasting time online doing other unrelated things.
  2. This is particularly relevant to something I just posted on my alt and quickly disowned (considering deleting), but, I suck with a lot of fundamentals, often not noticing anything too wrong with anything I drew until long after upload, especially anatomy, leading to me inevitably posting poorly received art to websites like this. I guess it doesn't help that when I was learning human anatomy, I went about it in a completely disorganized, scattered way and I still feel like I don't understand A LOT, and I'm not sure I want to relearn anatomy again! I'm sure my procrastination also hasn't helped, since I seem to have forgotten a lot of what I spent last year trying to figure out.

I've had such a procrastination for so long that I feel like its kind of a fundamental issue with me which I don't actually know at all how to properly solve. Things I've tried in the past have pretty much always failed there, and it always sucks when I realize all the years I spent wasting my time on things that really don't matter, could've been spent practicing and preventing my second issue from popping up.

As for fundamentals, especially with human anatomy, I do think following an organized course (preferably something similar to Draw a Box) may help a lot. but even then that assumes I can overcome my procrastination issues and better learn to take my time. Because I have all these ideas I want to execute I end up rushing through these things as well, leading to the poor reception... I'm not sure what the solution is but, I don't like the low self esteem that usually happens afterwards (got to a point where I was wondering it I just... wasn't cut out for doing art), I don't like rushing through my art or studies and I do find myself wishing I could go back in time and change things...

Ponies, animation and sluggishly learning how to draw.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 21:42:19

So...

I'm trying to move on past drawing static poses and similar faces but it's a big struggle for me as it's something I find very easy to just draw repeatedly

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 21:54:59

I doubt this is an uncommon one, but honestly, I mainly just really hate how inconsistent my art is? I frequently tweak my style, depending on the piece, and my anatomy is quite inconsistent as well. I'm always trying to get better at understanding anatomy though, which will hopefully lead to more and more consistency as time goes on.

On the other hand, I also think having an inconsistent art style really isn't the worst thing? I feel like some pieces wouldn't be the same or... just look as good as they do if I didn't go in the direction I did with them, even if it was a little different than previous works. Hope I'm making sense! :]

Fuck the cynicism, let the colors fly!

Don’t care you think it’s cringe, because it’s not your life!

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 22:02:11

Shitty mark making

Biggest one for the longest time would be composition. It's something I tried to focus on but get mad at the WIP still looking stiff. But that part is more me straight up forgetting about perspective in general.

Anatomy fuckups is another of course but those can give me a giggle sometimes.

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 23:27:03

that they're not connected to each other enough.

i base my drawings on lores i made up previously, and it's fun while drawing but after that when i look at my gallery they don't really tell a story. for example there's character A showing up multiple times in illustrations but it doesn't show any more about the world she's in.

i've tried making some illustrations with dialogues but it doesn't ring right, they're odd, maybe i'm not good at writing. making comics is very hard too. i have to make up multiple povs in one successive scene.

maybe i should just draw more until i find out what makes a good 'show don't tell' art.

BBS Signature

At 4/19/24 11:27 PM, mahogare wrote: that they're not connected to each other enough.
i base my drawings on lores i made up previously, and it's fun while drawing but after that when i look at my gallery they don't really tell a story. for example there's character A showing up multiple times in illustrations but it doesn't show any more about the world she's in.
i've tried making some illustrations with dialogues but it doesn't ring right, they're odd, maybe i'm not good at writing. making comics is very hard too. i have to make up multiple povs in one successive scene.
maybe i should just draw more until i find out what makes a good 'show don't tell' art.

I feel like I'm the opposite. I found myself enjoying writing and thinking up dialogue more than actually drawing. And when I get to drawing the comics, they just end up looking simplistic or else the drawings will drown the character's feelings.

I want to draw cool stuff first, but the story gets in the way so I end up not drawing the cool stuff. Even though I like the dialogue, I didn't like speech bubbles in cool action scenes.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-19 23:51:17

At 4/19/24 11:27 PM, mahogare wrote: that they're not connected to each other enough.

Well one way to improve on that is actually write out the scripts or stories of your characters. I used to often do just short keywords and scripts until recently (4 months ago) i was nudged to write my story out as a book. I said no, I am not a writer, i doodle and scripts and snippets been fine as is.But i did take the challenge.

40 000 words in I realized - same way as I open the characters more in writing, I actually have changed the way i do them in my drawings. Mainly the way I set them on a scene and there has been feedback where some people have started to add potential captions to characters.

Now as for dialogues, due to my background from stage, I use old actors trick (which also i have read some good writers use) - I say them out loud. Like I genuinely have a dialogue out loud. And have to admit, I have busted plenty of shittty lines like this and rewritten whole scenes because dialogues sound wrong - "No one talks like this" or "no one outside shitty netflix self inserts speaks like this".

I do think you can do comics and images with dialogues, you just have to find a way to make yourself good references. For me it is writing a story and talking with myself as the character. You may find your own ways. Your character probably needs to have a life built outside your drawings, just for you so you'd understand them much better next time you put them on a doodle.

... if I made any sense. 7 am, i might make none.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-20 00:02:36

At 4/19/24 04:08 AM, altomare14 wrote: kinda stiff ig
im still shit at dynamic poses however ill keep trying

It's the same for me, I feel like my work is too stiff stilliu_1191991_10868458.webp

I am the original GetterRocka

At 4/19/24 11:51 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
Well one way to improve on that is actually write out the scripts or stories of your characters. I used to often do just short keywords and scripts until recently (4 months ago) i was nudged to write my story out as a book. I said no, I am not a writer, i doodle and scripts and snippets been fine as is.But i did take the challenge.

40 000 words in I realized - same way as I open the characters more in writing, I actually have changed the way i do them in my drawings. Mainly the way I set them on a scene and there has been feedback where some people have started to add potential captions to characters.

Now as for dialogues, due to my background from stage, I use old actors trick (which also i have read some good writers use) - I say them out loud. Like I genuinely have a dialogue out loud. And have to admit, I have busted plenty of shittty lines like this and rewritten whole scenes because dialogues sound wrong - "No one talks like this" or "no one outside shitty netflix self inserts speaks like this".

I do think you can do comics and images with dialogues, you just have to find a way to make yourself good references. For me it is writing a story and talking with myself as the character. You may find your own ways. Your character probably needs to have a life built outside your drawings, just for you so you'd understand them much better next time you put them on a doodle.

... if I made any sense. 7 am, i might make none.

Saying dialog outloud is probably a good idea, keep finding the stuff i write to be pretty terrible in that sense

either it sucks or its based on a conversation I have had, probably still sucks

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-20 00:04:06

At 4/19/24 11:35 PM, OnceHere wrote:
I feel like I'm the opposite. I found myself enjoying writing and thinking up dialogue more than actually drawing. And when I get to drawing the comics, they just end up looking simplistic or else the drawings will drown the character's feelings.

I want to draw cool stuff first, but the story gets in the way so I end up not drawing the cool stuff. Even though I like the dialogue, I didn't like speech bubbles in cool action scenes.

Considering the title of this thread, I don't really hate these flaws of mine anymore. I used to, but I accepted that it's a part of what I like doing anyway. I only wanted to draw cool stuff with comics at first and I thought that stories aren't essential. But I realized that even though I like drawing and looking at cool stuff more than stories. I enjoy the process of writing stories more than the cool stuff.

So yeah, hate is not really the word to describe it. It's more like being mildy infuriated about not being able to bridge the two together properly yet.

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-20 02:08:53

Idk, i'll be honest, idk if my art is any good to begin with.

I mean, i've tried to be better each time, evolve, learn how to make them better, but, idk, i feel like it's never enough sometimes.

Specially since i went to Discord and see if my art was good enough, sure, the dude who commented in my art was helpful, and i'm thankful for his help, but, idk, it's one of those days if idk if what i'm doing is good enough.

Cool, wild and Groovy beat.

BBS Signature

Response to Whats something you HATE about your art? 2024-04-20 18:00:47

So...

The loss in precision & detail. I was much better at it when I was drawing in the 2000's to early 2010's. Given that my stylistic changes in the last few years are mostly due to the onset of health conditions, there ain't much I can do about it. Life is what it is.