00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheClownmanPuggles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

120,673 Views | 1,309 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-25 18:26:54

At 4/25/18 02:07 PM, Exedor wrote:
At 4/25/18 05:04 AM, HerbieG wrote: Yeah, it was long ;-) Here you go:
Try it now. :)

The medals are working now. Good job fixing them.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-25 19:07:11

At 4/25/18 06:26 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

Err... Doc? What medals? They even did not bring these medals back yet...
A "side effect" of "automated post replying" ;-)

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-25 21:13:19

At 4/11/18 08:18 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: CAZE - medals are not working for me, none earned since 9/17/17.

CAZE always had all kinds of problems and should probably be de-medalled entirely.

The last level is not possible to complete as a bug occurs at the very last moment of the very last level which will make you lose 100% of the time. There are a handful of people who seem to have escaped past that.

The only person who has any of the medium medals is game author.

As for the hard medals, the second of the hard medals is and always was broken (check that game author is only person who has that medal, ever) but it also likely suffers the same problem in the last stage but who knows as I can't go back and verify.

There are a few people, myself included, who have a good amount of the hard medals. How? Well how it's supposed to work is complete out *all* levels in easy unlocks medium, complete out *all* levels in medium unlocks hard, right? Well for some reason at one point in time, despite not having completed out easy (as I said the last level *is* broken!) yet the game was letting me play the hard levels, but not the medium levels. I think a game update stopped that from occurring as I can't reproduce it and no more hard medal unlocks past a certain date.

And this is a long time ago, not whatever's occurring with the game now. Just de-medal the entire game I say. If game author cared that much about that game he would have fixed those problems a long time ago.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-25 21:59:07

At 4/25/18 07:07 PM, HerbieG wrote:
At 4/25/18 06:26 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Err... Doc? What medals? They even did not bring these medals back yet...
A "side effect" of "automated post replying" ;-)

It was suppose to say that the game was working. lol
I was looking at a different game with working medals.

A side effect of multitasking too much. lol

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 18:48:13

By the way, I think some of you (@Bobogoobo @RightTime and @Optimos in particular) have a tendency of listing games you simply haven't tried enough.

Yes, they tend to be crappy-coded games. Yes, the medals may have some problem. But no they're not permanently broken, at least in a lot of cases.

In particular you tend to list--

Very laggy games) -- which if you're lagging up bad at the moment you otherwise should be awarded a medal perhaps it doesn't award
Games with medals connection timeout) -- which means clear your cache and try again, this time do it faster
Failure to use the save the game reload game get medal technique for time-consuming medals) -- similar to above
Failure to wait around a bit after having earned a medal) -- sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes after earning a medal to get it on profile so closing the game early forfeits medal
Failure to reload game after earning medals) -- some games don't award medals on-profile until you've reloaded the game *after* earning medals, and played through again or played on a different difficulty setting.

Also I've not seen any of you do this but it is something to keep in mind -- sometimes a medal doesn't award when you earn it but instead you have to go to one of the options screens, or even sometimes click on the high scores in-game or things of that nature. I'll generally put a remark to that effect in my comment on the game, but haven't been 100% thorough with this. So always read the comments on games (yes all pages of comments, on every game) as someone may have pointed out how to obtain some problem medal(s). It's something I frequently do.

Although some of the games you are listing really are broken, but it's really hit-and-miss with you guys.

If it's the HTTPS issue, yes that one's valid so definitely bring that to attention.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 19:15:19

At 4/26/18 06:48 PM, NeonSpider wrote: By the way, I think some of you (@Bobogoobo @RightTime and @Optimos in particular) have a tendency of listing games you simply haven't tried enough.

Yes, they tend to be crappy-coded games. Yes, the medals may have some problem. But no they're not permanently broken, at least in a lot of cases.

In particular you tend to list--

Very laggy games) -- which if you're lagging up bad at the moment you otherwise should be awarded a medal perhaps it doesn't award
Games with medals connection timeout) -- which means clear your cache and try again, this time do it faster
Failure to use the save the game reload game get medal technique for time-consuming medals) -- similar to above
Failure to wait around a bit after having earned a medal) -- sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes after earning a medal to get it on profile so closing the game early forfeits medal
Failure to reload game after earning medals) -- some games don't award medals on-profile until you've reloaded the game *after* earning medals, and played through again or played on a different difficulty setting.

Also I've not seen any of you do this but it is something to keep in mind -- sometimes a medal doesn't award when you earn it but instead you have to go to one of the options screens, or even sometimes click on the high scores in-game or things of that nature. I'll generally put a remark to that effect in my comment on the game, but haven't been 100% thorough with this. So always read the comments on games (yes all pages of comments, on every game) as someone may have pointed out how to obtain some problem medal(s). It's something I frequently do.

Although some of the games you are listing really are broken, but it's really hit-and-miss with you guys.

If it's the HTTPS issue, yes that one's valid so definitely bring that to attention.

I literally knew all of these tricks, don't worry. I always make sure a medal or several medals from a game have registered in my profile before closing it and moving on.
Maybe the one thing I'm not used to is clearing my cache, but it's because I've had save files from games accidentally erased looots of times because of doing this. Just to let you know, I reached the last stage of Pixelo 3-4 times starting from zero before actually finishing the whole game. So eventually I learnt to leave my cache and my cookies untouched lol.

Either way it's good to let everyone know about those tips to avoid that disappointing feeling when a medal you earned doesn't unlock.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 19:58:15

At 4/26/18 07:15 PM, Optimos wrote: I literally knew all of these tricks, don't worry. I always make sure a medal or several medals from a game have registered in my profile before closing it and moving on.
Maybe the one thing I'm not used to is clearing my cache, but it's because I've had save files from games accidentally erased looots of times because of doing this. Just to let you know, I reached the last stage of Pixelo 3-4 times starting from zero before actually finishing the whole game. So eventually I learnt to leave my cache and my cookies untouched lol.

Either way it's good to let everyone know about those tips to avoid that disappointing feeling when a medal you earned doesn't unlock.

What you can do that's kind of a half-solution is if you don't like clearing your cache, start up the game again in a different flavor of browser. So if you'd played the game up to a certain point in Chrome and don't feel like clearing cache, start it up again in Firefox, or vica-versa. Or you can even use Opera or something else.

Though if a game doesn't work in either Firefox or Chrome, it is coded really really badly. And yes there are games like that.

Perhaps there should be better standards for quality of a game before it is allowed medals, but such is not and has not historically been the case on Newgrounds.

I know there are games that are a real chore to get through. Not difficulty. Just pain in the butt because they either take way too long, are just plain buggy and require tons of trial/error and workarounds, or the game freezes up a lot or lags to all hell or other really inexcusable bugs.

I think we should generally disallow quiz games, clickers, idlers, overly-simple platformers, overly-simple runners, pong clones, overly-simple adventure genre games, and generally "first game I ever made hey everyone look at meeee!" type games from having medals. But existing such games with medals should be grandfathered in. But yeah such restrictions are not likely to happen.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 20:21:12

At 4/26/18 06:48 PM, NeonSpider wrote: By the way, I think some of you (@Bobogoobo @RightTime and @Optimos in particular) have a tendency of listing games you simply haven't tried enough.

I usually try at least a few things before posting. Most of mine are obvious HTTPS problems or haven't unlocked after several tries, and have been confirmed by others. Do you have any examples of ones I posted that you know do work? Some have also been fixed since I posted, though I don't think all the needed HTTP switched have been done yet.

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

There is also a browser script.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 20:43:03

At 4/26/18 08:21 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: I usually try at least a few things before posting. Most of mine are obvious HTTPS problems or haven't unlocked after several tries, and have been confirmed by others. Do you have any examples of ones I posted that you know do work? Some have also been fixed since I posted, though I don't think all the needed HTTP switched have been done yet.

Yes all the FIL1994 games you posted work although he's not a good coder so his games tend to be crappy and may take having to clear cache and try again several times or using a different browser.

The jupitron game you listed is extremely laggy and crap, but the medals work though suffer from the medals connection timeout issue. Presumably with a beefy enough machine and enough patience and luck on the Newgrounds connection side, all medals from that game could be obtained.

There are plenty of games which suffer the Newgrounds medal connection issue, and the common symptom is some people can get further than others before it "hits" and just try again on a different day and you might be able to get further medals from it.

It's all the common culprits, basically. Again, I'd be all for having higher standards for which games are allowed medals but those medals, while annoying to obtain, can be obtained.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 20:51:22

At 4/26/18 08:43 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 4/26/18 08:21 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: I usually try at least a few things before posting. Most of mine are obvious HTTPS problems or haven't unlocked after several tries, and have been confirmed by others. Do you have any examples of ones I posted that you know do work? Some have also been fixed since I posted, though I don't think all the needed HTTP switched have been done yet.
Yes all the FIL1994 games you posted work although he's not a good coder so his games tend to be crappy and may take having to clear cache and try again several times or using a different browser.

The jupitron game you listed is extremely laggy and crap, but the medals work though suffer from the medals connection timeout issue. Presumably with a beefy enough machine and enough patience and luck on the Newgrounds connection side, all medals from that game could be obtained.

Phantom Fire freezes every single time when you should earn a medal, there's no way to get past that. HerbieG agreed this may be an HTTPS issue. Again, none of these have been earned since last August. Dark Bullet works fine now because it was switched to HTTP.

Vatnou might actually be just a display issue - when I visit the game page, it shows two secret medals that nobody has earned, but in my medal list, it only shows the two medals that I already knew were working. That might be why I was confused at the reply to this. I actually had no issues getting the two medals and grew to like the game a little :P

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 21:08:39

At 4/26/18 08:51 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Phantom Fire freezes every single time when you should earn a medal, there's no way to get past that. HerbieG agreed this may be an HTTPS issue. Again, none of these have been earned since last August. Dark Bullet works fine now because it was switched to HTTP.

Well if it's the HTTPS issue, that would be legit problem and easily fixed, if whoever it is that has the privileges to force a game to HTTP could put those games to HTTP.

But I do know that just in general FIL1994's games tend to be awful. And they tend to have medals problems like maybe you just never can get medals in his games (even shortly after release, even if others have the medals). But then it's just a matter of clearing cache and replaying the games at a later date or in a different browser and they'll work.

If the game is freezing upon what should be a medal earn, then that's certainly suggestive it's the HTTPS/HTTP issue though.

Vatnou might actually be just a display issue - when I visit the game page, it shows two secret medals that nobody has earned, but in my medal list, it only shows the two medals that I already knew were working. That might be why I was confused at the reply to this. I actually had no issues getting the two medals and grew to like the game a little :P

Display issue? Certainly not the case. Sometimes doesn't award medals? Definitely the case. I think I had to earn that second medal in the game about three times before it would "take". Likely the case for the remaining two medals no one has.

The game is laggy to all hell and crap. What can I say? But I think the medals could possibly award given I had the exact same problem with one of the two medals I have in that game.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-26 21:52:26

Well, don't accuse me of posting incorrectly if my special cases don't fit the overall pattern you're familiar with.

Vatnou: Four medals are shown on the game page, but those last two secret medals do not show up on /stats/medals. It says I have earned 2/2 medals and 15/15 points. That's why it seems like a display issue, as if those last two medals don't exist (which would explain why they've never been earned).

In an unrelated issue, all of DeathTiger0's games from Quest For Pancake through Crazy Vacation (inclusive) do not load. They only show a black screen after you click the play button, in any browser. They've been getting comments about it on the games for months so I assume they're aware of the problem and haven't fixed it.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-27 01:10:34

At 4/26/18 09:52 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Vatnou: Four medals are shown on the game page, but those last two secret medals do not show up on /stats/medals. It says I have earned 2/2 medals and 15/15 points. That's why it seems like a display issue, as if those last two medals don't exist (which would explain why they've never been earned).

That is because any 0 points medals will not show up on anyone's medals pages. A medal is 0 points until at least one person earns the medal, at which point it becomes whatever its true amount of points should be.

It used to be that you couldn't view 0 points medals on the game pages, but now you can, and that is the only place you can view them.

That's a good change (showing the 0 points medals on the game page itself). A bad change is that secret medals no longer show you their title on the game pages but just "Secret Medal". Whereas it used to be you always were told the name of the medal, just not how to obtain it.

Here is a game which suffers the HTTPS problem. Game freezes once you earn the medal rather than obtaining a medal. Someone needs to switch this game to HTTP.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-27 01:23:17

At 4/26/18 09:52 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: In an unrelated issue, all of DeathTiger0's games from Quest For Pancake through Crazy Vacation (inclusive) do not load. They only show a black screen after you click the play button, in any browser. They've been getting comments about it on the games for months so I assume they're aware of the problem and haven't fixed it.

You seem to be correct on this point, though I've only tested Quest For Pancake and Crazy Vacation and not the ones in-between but I'll take your word on it.

The HTTPS/HTTP thing maybe? When did this start happening?

I do know unfortunately there are some DeathTiger0 games which only work correctly in Chrome browser but not Firefox browser. But yeah even in Chrome browser these are just black screen and waiting around a while then refreshing isn't solving it either (Something which can solve other black/white screened games sometimes)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-27 06:37:46

At 4/27/18 01:23 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 4/26/18 09:52 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: In an unrelated issue, all of DeathTiger0's games from Quest For Pancake through Crazy Vacation (inclusive) do not load. They only show a black screen after you click the play button, in any browser. They've been getting comments about it on the games for months so I assume they're aware of the problem and haven't fixed it.
You seem to be correct on this point, though I've only tested Quest For Pancake and Crazy Vacation and not the ones in-between but I'll take your word on it.

I do know unfortunately there are some DeathTiger0 games which only work correctly in Chrome browser but not Firefox browser. But yeah even in Chrome browser these are just black screen and waiting around a while then refreshing isn't solving it either (Something which can solve other black/white screened games sometimes)

As for these games: it seems to be some big problem on their side. None of them work on other websites, I also checked their official site and if you take a look you will both notice that none of these games are available there, there is a big time gap between Cinema Madness and Jack's Treasure. I sent them an e-mail hoping for some information on the issue.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-27 06:57:54

At 4/27/18 06:37 AM, HerbieG wrote: As for these games: it seems to be some big problem on their side. None of them work on other websites, I also checked their official site and if you take a look you will both notice that none of these games are available there, there is a big time gap between Cinema Madness and Jack's Treasure. I sent them an e-mail hoping for some information on the issue.

Please tell me these weren't coded in such a way where all that was uploaded to Newgrounds is a tiny shell wrapper around the actual game which loaded in from the external website every time you play (and thus if the links on the external website broke, thereby *all* games everywhere on the Internet broke all at the same time!)

Because I have a feeling they probably did something like this. I have confirmed nothing, as I don't care to poke around to see, but if it was coded that way, with the Newgrounds uploads being only tiny shell .swf files which then loaded in the real .swf files from the external website, that would make a hell of a lot of sense why all this broke and all at once and also doesn't exist on their website.

It's also a major security hazard for Newgrounds, if they allow people to upload games that way, because all someone would have to do to exploit it would be upload their shell game which loads the real, external game, get it approved, wait a while, then swap the external game with whatever malware they want, and boom everyone is hit.

Could easily be misused for nefarious purposes.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-27 07:36:52

At 4/27/18 06:57 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
It's also a major security hazard for Newgrounds, if they allow people to upload games that way, because all someone would have to do to exploit it would be upload their shell game which loads the real, external game, get it approved, wait a while, then swap the external game with whatever malware they want, and boom everyone is hit.

Could easily be misused for nefarious purposes.

You got a point here, but I think that the game moderators are doing fine by finding and preventing cases like these to happen.

But your theory about their games would explain why for example they never added a saving feature to their games - a "shell" would not be able to generate a proper NG sol file.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-29 01:08:17

Likely needs to be moved over to HTTP.

Once you complete 5 levels, rather than award a medal the game freezes. This is the first medal in the game. Also if you replay it after that freezing, you get awful sound from your speakers and black screen unless you clear cache.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-29 02:46:51

At 4/29/18 01:08 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/652394

Once you complete 5 levels, rather than award a medal the game freezes. This is the first medal in the game. Also if you replay it after that freezing, you get awful sound from your speakers and black screen unless you clear cache.

I was having issues with that game. I can confirm that it will not award medals due to the game freezing.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-30 09:38:12

At 4/29/18 01:08 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/652394

I think cases like this are when games are using Nutcasenightmare's javascript port of our original API. It depends on a third party server that only allows so many free requests per month, at which point the requests stop working. It would be ideal to get all these games ported over to newgrounds.io but that is unlikely.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-04-30 10:15:18

At 4/30/18 09:38 AM, TomFulp wrote: I think cases like this are when games are using Nutcasenightmare's javascript port of our original API. It depends on a third party server that only allows so many free requests per month, at which point the requests stop working. It would be ideal to get all these games ported over to newgrounds.io but that is unlikely.

Why would any games be coded in such a way that they require some third party server for the Newgrounds medal connections, rather than just directly sending the medal requests to the Newgrounds backend itself? I mean I get that this has been done in the past but, .. why!? It makes no sense.

Why would you introduce more intermediaries? Just ... why!?

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-01 02:55:40

Nothing in this game is gettable as the game itself is not even playable anymore

Probably because it requires streaming something from Youtube which no longer works.

The most recent comments are that the game is just a black screen with a crosshairs, which is exactly all you'll get.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-01 06:37:23

At 5/1/18 02:55 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Nothing in this game is gettable as the game itself is not even playable anymore
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/596482
Probably because it requires streaming something from Youtube which no longer works.

The most recent comments are that the game is just a black screen with a crosshairs, which is exactly all you'll get.

Hmm... I also remember having that problem with this game, but somehow it finally worked for me and it happened after that comment was posted. Taking a look at who earned the medals lately... @Optimos - is that game currently loading for you?

Anyway my brilliant deduction tells me that the author is still visiting Newgrounds, so I'll ask him about it :-)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-01 08:52:33

At 5/1/18 06:37 AM, HerbieG wrote:
Hmm... I also remember having that problem with this game, but somehow it finally worked for me and it happened after that comment was posted. Taking a look at who earned the medals lately... @Optimos - is that game currently loading for you?

Nope, just a black screen.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-01 19:09:07

At 5/1/18 02:55 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Nothing in this game is gettable as the game itself is not even playable anymore
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/596482

I can confirm that it does not wok on Firefox, IE or Chrome.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-03 14:50:21

I think the medal for submitting your score in this game is broken. The highscore option from the menu never loads and the share buttons are for mobile only.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-04 03:40:18

At 5/3/18 02:50 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: I think the medal for submitting your score in this game is broken. The highscore option from the menu never loads and the share buttons are for mobile only.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/686220

I can confirm that it did not work for me now. The medals did work before, I earned them all.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-08 19:32:31

Fatal Virility.

This game has two medals, except the game is "ERROR This project has been removed by the author"

So those two medals are thus broken and people who already have them have them and they're broken for anybody else.

Another one of those cases where the game has been removed but the medals remain

I have compiled a post listing all the games reported in the last several pages that are still not working, plus some more I've come across recently. This is to give a reference for what needs to be fixed as of this latest post. Thanks for helping to maintain the medal system.

More games not posted yet with the HTTPS freeze/lag on medal unlock problem:

^ Not sure if this is an HTTPS problem, I PMed the author about the medal not unlocking and didn't hear back. I don't have access to my save file at the moment to test it. His other medal game is almost certainly the HTTPS problem, it freezes when completing a level:

Also most of Munguia's games that are not Famous Paintings Parodies style seem to have problems. I stopped trying them because some of them crash the flash plugin or my whole browser and I was tired of that. Some only work in Chrome. Guitar Hero was posted earlier, it actually does work now. Not sure if that was HTTP or Nutcasenightmare problem.
Green Arrow - nothing unlocks.
CalcaMunguias 5 Difference - HTTPS problem.
Stairway to Heaven - HTTPS problem (freezes when a medal should unlock).
Word Play 5 Differences - oddly, the first level is fine and submits the medal, but when I completed the second level my flash plugin crashed.

Here are games that were reported earlier in the thread (mostly my reports) and still aren't working. I only tried in Firefox, but only tell me they're working if you can confirm it by unlocking them. Most of these might be HTTPS issue also.

^ NeonSpider suggested removing all medals, as many have always been broken.

^ Reported by NeonSpider - I only tried the "pop 10 zits" medal and it didn't unlock for me. Also I couldn't get past the loading screen in Firefox, but it worked in Chrome.

^ Reported by NeonSpider - I've never played a Resident Evil game so didn't spend the time to test if it's still broken. Not switched to HTTP yet, so probably is.

Looks like nothing has been done yet with the games reported earlier that have a problem with Nutcasenightmare's API code - for example, Electric War. Swapblocks did award me a medal just now, though.

Script Miner is still broken, not sure if that's HTTPS-related.

Ederon: Elder Gods had its medals removed, but it still shows up in people's /stats/medals and says X points out of 0. Maybe the medals weren't completely removed?

Update (or lack of): DeathTiger0 games from Crazy Vacation through Quest For Pancake still do not go past a black screen. Just something to keep an eye on. They should probably all be unpublished if the author isn't going to fix whatever broke all these games internet-wide.
The Silver Nugget was posted above and still not working currently.
HO HO Ride medal issue posted above.
Fatal Virility in previous post - game does not exist.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-05-10 00:48:35

At 5/8/18 07:32 PM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/605513
Fatal Virility.

This game has two medals, except the game is "ERROR This project has been removed by the author"
So those two medals are thus broken and people who already have them have them and they're broken for anybody else.

If the game is broken, than the medals should be removed.

Another one of those cases where the game has been removed but the medals remain

It has happened before. The medals should be removed, until the game is fixed. If that ever happens.

BBS Signature