00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheClownmanPuggles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Broken Medals Thread

120,669 Views | 1,309 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-01 19:55:19

I guess this would go in the broken medals thread?? Considering these are likely medals which were previously awarded, then removed but for some reason not removed from points on profile?? @Nijsse could you please fix these or whoever is able to fix them please fix them?

@Nijsse medals discrepancies

Little Pony Big War
11/10 (565/465 points)

Rocket Lizard
16/15 (540/490 points)

Sandwich VS Bagel
7/5 (305/230 points)

Super Snake
9/7 (130/95 points)

Symbiosis: Greenland
45/23 (995/500 points)

Transmorpher 2
16/9 (780/395 points)

Vanguard Charge
9/7 (375/225 points)

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-02 11:45:03

At 7/1/18 07:55 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Considering these are likely medals which were previously awarded, then removed but for some reason not removed from points on profile??

medals discrepancies

Little Pony Big War
11/10 (565/465 points)

Rocket Lizard
16/15 (540/490 points)

Sandwich VS Bagel
7/5 (305/230 points)

Super Snake
9/7 (130/95 points)

Symbiosis: Greenland
45/23 (995/500 points)

Transmorpher 2
16/9 (780/395 points)

Vanguard Charge
9/7 (375/225 points)

All of those medals are causing issues? It would explain why the numbers are not adding up correctly. Good work on finding and organizing all of them.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-02 20:59:31

At 7/2/18 11:45 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: All of those medals are causing issues? It would explain why the numbers are not adding up correctly. Good work on finding and organizing all of them.

Well they're all broken in the sense none of them are obtainable and they're all phantom medals.

The two assumptions we could make are that a person cheated or that they were medals which used to exist, were removed, but for some reason were not removed from that person's medals points. I'm going to give benefit of the doubt and go with that second option.

This still makes them phantom medals which shouldn't be there though. And he's not the only one with phantom medals, but certainly the highest ranking and the person with probably the most phantom medals.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-03 15:31:46

At 7/1/18 07:55 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I guess this would go in the broken medals thread?? Considering these are likely medals which were previously awarded, then removed but for some reason not removed from points on profile?? @Nijsse could you please fix these or whoever is able to fix them please fix them?

Should be fixed, thanks for the report

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-04 17:21:11

At 7/3/18 03:31 PM, PulseLane wrote: Should be fixed, thanks for the report

Thanks.

Here's another I've found on another user

DJDarkDash

Street Brawler
27/22 (690/490 points)

At 6/24/18 10:41 PM, SLjimbolian wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/671533
Game immediately freezes on the first level. Tested it on Chrome/Firefox; same results. IE is no better as it doesn't even load.

Can confirm. I think this is one of those cases where it just needs to be set to HTTP.

Yes your link is http but as soon as you click it you go to the https. Reason is you earn a medal upon completing stage one, and it's a common feature of those games that need to be set to HTTP that upon earning a medal the game just freezes. Also especially when it's not a Flash game and that's not a Flash game.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-05 20:49:07

Recently I've been noticing a trend where some of the newer game authors would post up their games that are still considered to be in alpha/beta mode and this causes problems with the medal count.

For example, the latest two games:

All have medals that are zero point. I was thinking we should have a system in place where games that are still in alpha/beta mode and being worked on should not count towards the medal count if it is at zero point.

Also this game it's the same issue:

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-05 21:04:45

At 7/5/18 08:49 PM, SLjimbolian wrote: Recently I've been noticing a trend where some of the newer game authors would post up their games that are still considered to be in alpha/beta mode and this causes problems with the medal count.

For example, the latest two games:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/713469
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/713687
All have medals that are zero point. I was thinking we should have a system in place where games that are still in alpha/beta mode and being worked on should not count towards the medal count if it is at zero point.

Also this game it's the same issue:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/710938

Yeah, it is a problem recently. I'm trying to get in touch with as many of these authors as it is possible and urge them to submit games only with working medals. For example RiceGames promised to make the medals work, I hope they will succeed.

The ones you mentioned aren't worth 0 points, but they are currently displayed like this until they are unlocked by someone or tested by the author. Of course if they are working.

About the system you proposed: it would be a bit problematic to implement since there is no automated way to determine which game is in beta and which one is a completed work, so everything would have to be done manually. And since there is no way to "hide" a game from being included on the "games with medals" list the only way to make it happen would be removing the new medals at sight. But if the authors would fix them there currently would be no way to bring them back because of one system problem I mentioned in this thread here.

Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-07 08:54:36

Another update on the Swapblocks game: I entered it today and tried to load my save from Firefox; the game loaded and because of some weird glitch it gave me all the medals at once. To make it even more weird when I pressed continue I entered an empty stage with the level number of 1532... I reset the whole progress and the game started to work in a normal way, but - I removed all the medals I did not deserve yet - it was not giving me new medals. Then I started the game from scratch on Chrome and this time both the game and medals seem to be working fine.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-07 11:46:02

At 7/4/18 05:21 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
Here's another I've found on another user

DJDarkDash

Street Brawler
27/22 (690/490 points)

Another great catch on a broken medal/medal issue.

Once it gets cleared up, you should take a day off to relax. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-10 01:44:26

PRO-R

You receive one medal, Welcome, which is a 5 points medal for starting the game.

You then get the following message

ERROR
This product may be stolen!
Please contact staff at
tedgaming.com for more detail.

And you cannot actually play the game.

Most likely this would be a good candidate for Newgrounds mods to just delete entirely, not just removing the medals.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-10 03:47:21

At 7/10/18 01:44 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/583935
PRO-R

You receive one medal, Welcome, which is a 5 points medal for starting the game.

Yes, that one medal does work.

You then get the following message

ERROR
This product may be stolen!
Please contact staff at
tedgaming.com for more detail.

And you cannot actually play the game.

Yes, the game can not be played. Have you tried contacting the author?

Most likely this would be a good candidate for Newgrounds mods to just delete entirely, not just removing the medals.

If it is actually stolen than it should be removed.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-11 15:46:27

I see PRO-R has been switched to HTTP in what I can assume is an attempt to see if that would fix the issue.

It doesn't. The game still throws up the exact same warning message and you're not allowed to play. It should be removed.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-16 06:35:02

Since it is becoming a problem recently I decided to make this small list with tags and a request: @RianVictorVergel @HellsLost @MakeGamesHappen @RiceGames @NiobiuMmm make medals in your games work and test them, PM me or any other API moderator or remove the broken medals from your games. If these medals will not be fixed soon they will be removed anyway.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-17 16:23:45

I am happy to announce that the problem with games from Carmel Games (DeathTiger0) noticed some time ago has been resolved by the authors and all their games are playable again. Just let me know if anybody would encounter any medals-related issues.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-18 18:18:33

This needs to be set to HTTP

It's the case with all of jupitron's games that all of them need HTTP and as expected, since it's on HTTPS the game freezes upon meeting the first medal requirements.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-19 19:33:00

At 7/19/18 07:09 PM, NekoMika wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/630258
Not a broken medal per say but wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue:

Trying to get the final achievement (89 achievement unlock) but I noticed the longer I left the game open over time (along with how often I had been farming on this game for almost the past week) the worse the FPS got. I started to change out the equipment so that I can as much gold as possible while gaining as little loot as possible but the game still stuck around 11 - 15 FPS rather than going back to 30 FPS despite there being less loot overall. I notice a couple of reviews also pointed out this issue as well.

Let's see... when did I finally get that medal? 2015... so I was playing it on my previous, weaker laptop... I'll tell you something even more "funny": at the latest stages of that game I was even experiencing the FPS at the level of 4-5. I tried everything to save as much CPU/RAM as possible (a surprisingly resource-consuming game, isn't it? ;-) ), but it did not help much. In my opinion it is an internal problem of the game, possibly bad memory management or something like that. At the first try I gave up, but some time later I decided to return to it & finally get through all of this and it was really slooooow... Maybe that helped a bit, I remember I was keeping my inventory as empty as possible, holding only the really necessary equipment.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-19 19:43:03

At 7/19/18 07:35 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 7/19/18 07:33 PM, HerbieG wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and assume that there will never be a 1.0.2 update to fix the loot system inventory. Glad to know I was not the only one experiencing this. I may come back for the achievement at another time but if the FPS is going to get THAT BAD the close to 100 billion gold I get, kind of demotivational honestly. Thanks for your response though, I really appreciate it. With that being said, should the 89 achievement medal stay for those who are willing to deal with that FPS?

Well, it works, so yes. I'll show you something even more ridiculous, no FPS problems, but... go see for yourself ;-)
Just 1 000 000 taps or clicks... I think this one I will not to go for... An... idiotic medal, but 100% functional ;-)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-19 20:04:15

At 7/19/18 07:46 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 7/19/18 07:43 PM, HerbieG wrote: Well, it works, so yes. I'll show you something even more ridiculous, no FPS problems, but... go see for yourself ;-)
Just 1 000 000 taps or clicks... I think this one I will not to go for... An... idiotic medal, but 100% functional ;-)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/666584
Seems rather time consuming, in-cases for games like these, would you consider using auto-clickers for incremental games to be cheating?

Oh c'mon, you are asking a moderator ;-) I never use an auto-clicker for any clicker game, for 3 reasons:
1) It ruins the fun - and if a game has a highscore board and the game is fresh you can easily see who is using a "support" and who is not; I still remember the Idle Web Tycoon in this context... I was tapping constantly, but few people just passed me on the list like I was just... staying idle. I even remember reporting some of the scores to PulseLane, which he deleted.
2) If you play on a laptop with a mouse attached you actually got 3 ways at the time to click and it gives you enough speed; however it does not work on Beat the Zombie game since you simply cannot beat those zombies faster, because the whole hit animation has to go on;
3) as you said - that would be cheating :-)

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-19 20:21:52

At 7/19/18 08:08 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 7/19/18 08:04 PM, HerbieG wrote: 3) as you said - that would be cheating :-)
That's all I really needed to know, and yea; I have seen a few times where it is really obvious to see who is cheating since their scores will be far higher than what anyone else has ever been able to gain. Medal game or not, seems some people can never resist cheating on games just for that "high score" which is pretty much pointless if you are not trying to have fun getting on to that top 20 scoreboard.

To be honest I personally never cared much about my place on the highscore board. Maybe few times I actually wanted to reach a higher spot, but it happens very rarely. There indeed are websites where the place on the highscore list gives you additional points to your achievements ranking, but it is an interesting option to implement only when the games and the website itself are safe from hackers.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-20 05:12:31

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-20 08:30:03

At 7/20/18 05:12 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Thanks to whoever is fixing these HTTP problem games.

Got some more jupitron games which all need to be set to HTTP and I believe these are the last ones

These should all be updated now, they might take a few minutes to re-cache.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-07-20 11:12:34

At 7/20/18 08:30 AM, TomFulp wrote: These should all be updated now, they might take a few minutes to re-cache.

Thanks! I just know there were a lot of jupitron medal games, many of them quite hard, and would be a shame if they were broken when all that was needed was set to HTTP.

I also know all of his games would freeze upon medal get when on HTTPS but work fine when set to HTTP. Probably because he used some old medals API or something? Regardless it was pretty consistent.

And whereas most people just had one or a few games that might need the change, literally all of his games needed it and now I believe they should work correctly (or at least as correctly as they're going to work).

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-05 09:38:22

At 7/3/18 03:31 PM, PulseLane wrote:
At 7/1/18 07:55 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I guess this would go in the broken medals thread?? Considering these are likely medals which were previously awarded, then removed but for some reason not removed from points on profile?? @Nijsse could you please fix these or whoever is able to fix them please fix them?
Should be fixed, thanks for the report

I found one more, might just be the author who has them.

Medals Earned: 19/10 (650/330 points)

I had the same issue with Loot Clicker. I gave up on it for now because I'm not going to spend the time selling thousands of loot pieces to try to make the game actually run. Don't remember if it slows down just my browser or my whole computer, but it's annoying.

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

There is also a browser script.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-05 11:23:26

At 8/5/18 09:38 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: I found one more, might just be the author who has them.

It usually is just one person who has phantom medals on a game beyond the maximum. Is going to be more of an issue with people who are among the higher medal scorers rather than those who don't have very many medals (since it's very unfair to other top scorers), though yes technically it should be fixed on anybody.

My assumption is they earned medals which formerly existed in a game, yet were removed, yet for some reason which did not remove from their medals points. Because I'm not sure how else that would happen. 100% of the times for me, when some medal was removed which I had, or some game was removed, it did remove from my medals points.

If you see it on anyone in the top 200 let's say, then yes report those.

There are also unfortunately some games where the entire game was removed yet medals points remain on some people, and apparently in those cases they haven't fixed it/aren't going to fix it. I've reported some of those in this thread as well but there are others. Slightly different issue from where the game still exists but one has phantom medals on it. Same unfair result though. If you click to play a game and the game has been removed, or if they have any medals points at all out of 0 total medals points possible, then you'll know it's this scenario.

I had the same issue with Loot Clicker. I gave up on it for now because I'm not going to spend the time selling thousands of loot pieces to try to make the game actually run. Don't remember if it slows down just my browser or my whole computer, but it's annoying.

There are plenty of lagfest games. Not broken as there are still people who can earn them, but maybe not fun to play or maybe not earnable for everyone unless they upgrade RAM or graphics card or get a better computer. Sometimes you must use lag-reducing strategies when playing such games. bioDigit is a great example of that. Read my comment on the game for the correct strategy to use for getting all medals in bioDigit while avoiding some (not all) of the inexcusable and unplayable lag.

If need be you might have to clear cache and start a game all over again, using a lag-reducing strategy from the start.

Also plenty plenty of games which cheat medals, yet if you clear cache and play it again another day, one of the times you do this it may award. Yes even if it requires huge time investments to even get one more shot at it.

And also plenty of games which don't award medals unless if played early in the month (these would be all games which use nutcase nightmare API and always HTML5 games). They tend to need both HTTP *and* that you play the game early in the month.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-10 12:05:56

Game hasn't worked for a while now, unfortunately.

Since the game itself doesn't work, may need unpublishing and not just medals removal, unless the author will fix it.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-10 12:08:33

At 8/10/18 12:05 PM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/648346
Game hasn't worked for a while now, unfortunately.

Since the game itself doesn't work, may need unpublishing and not just medals removal, unless the author will fix it.

Gonna try as HTTP.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-10 12:28:16

At 8/10/18 12:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Gonna try as HTTP.

Sorry to interfere, but there are plenty of examples of games/medals that fail to work even when switched to http. I know that you probably have plenty of things to do, but remember about those fixes I told you some time ago. It is really needed to be able to remove medals without ruining the stats and to fix the stats of a certain game if something goes wrong, currently the moderators got completely no "powers" to do this.

By the way, that FPA game works fine on Kongregate and Crazygames (both on https), so it can be either something with the NG build of the game or something on the NG side.

And apparently something failed when you were trying to set it on http, because at first after clicking on "play" another same https tab opened, now it is back on https.

I tried to get in touch with the author many months ago with no success.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-10 18:28:29

At 8/10/18 12:28 PM, HerbieG wrote: Sorry to interfere, but there are plenty of examples of games/medals that fail to work even when switched to http.

In many though not all cases, if this happens on a HTML5 game it is because it uses the nutcasenightmare medals API. And in these cases it usually also needs to be switched to HTTP.

However, you also must play the game and try for the medals earlier in the month rather than later as what happens is the bandwidth for whatever external site that uses tends to be slurped up before month's end and once that happens such games will likely freeze upon earning a medal even if on HTTP (though to reiterate they do tend to also need to be on HTTP).

To see if this is the case, wait until a new month and try the game again early in the month. If it then works you will know this is the case.

Of course this isn't the case in all cases, so literally any game which requires some external site's functionality to work, and for which that external site is no longer maintained and/or doesn't work anymore, will then be broken at least unless the site is brought back to working condition, but that's outside of newgrounds itself.

In the specific case of nutcase nightmare medals API, this renews every month, so when the bandwidth exhausts before end of month, all nutcase nightmare medals games are then broken until next month when bandwidth is renewed and the games work again, at least until/unless the bandwidth all gets used up again which is likely.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-14 01:11:38

Both of these need HTTP. They're Nutcasenightmare API games and even though the bandwidth for it isn't yet exceeded this month (Dandy Cave Explorer, another Nutcasenightmare API game but one which has been set to HTTP works fine at the moment) they will need to be HTTP or just endless freezing instead of medal get.

It seems to work like -- if it's Nutcasenightmare API and not HTTP then game freeze upon medal get.
If it's Nutcasenightmare API and HTTP and bandwidth not exceeded for the month, then medal get works correctly.
If it's Nutcasengihtmare API and HTTP and bandwidth exceeded for the month, then game freeze upon medal get.

Hopefully no one is using that API for newer games, but the old ones will need to at least be set to HTTP to give people a chance to earn medals in the games at least early in months prior to bandwidth being exceeded.

It could possibly be fixed for all such games. A compatible API but which uses only Newgrounds resources could be made, then an admin would need to run a script to find the Nutcasenightmare API code in all such games and replace with the alternate compatible code.

Until or unless someone does that, the best that can be done is set all such games to HTTP at the least.

Response to Official Broken Medals Thread 2018-08-14 07:54:23

At 8/14/18 01:11 AM, NeonSpider wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/655207
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/661416
Both of these need HTTP. They're Nutcasenightmare API games and even though the bandwidth for it isn't yet exceeded this month (Dandy Cave Explorer, another Nutcasenightmare API game but one which has been set to HTTP works fine at the moment) they will need to be HTTP or just endless freezing instead of medal get.

Updated to HTTP, hope it helps!

BBS Signature