00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RayRassaArt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,638,277 Views | 29,795 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 00:45:23

I really love the medals/achievements system-Yet another step toward the Xbox 360!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 00:56:32

At 3/9/09 11:28 PM, punchyguy wrote: Quick question here. Whats the point?

I think its a good way to add replayability.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 01:15:57

I should have unlocked both the headshot and melee achievements but got neither... Pretty pissed.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 01:40:10

Does the get a kill with every single weapon medal include the dualies?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 01:50:40

At 3/10/09 01:40 AM, Bloodman101 wrote: Does the get a kill with every single weapon medal include the dualies?

Oh wait, I don't think this medal's possible for me, I need to unlock the Artifact, if it counts.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 02:01:58

At 3/10/09 12:07 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: How do I unlock Artifact 19? From looking at the description in the game guide I thought I would have to get all the achievements for killing 100 enemies with each weapon, but I got all those and I don't think I have Artifact 19. It didn't say I unlocked it or anything, and I haven't gotten it in a round.

If you have all the achievements, start a new game and you should have a third weapon slot where Artifact 19 is. There is no unlock message.

At 3/10/09 12:26 AM, KevnSevn wrote: On the subject of Medals and if I wanted to add them to one of my games...

Only AS3?

Alkie Kong 2 and Thing-Thing 3 are AS2 so I'm guessing it doesn't need to be AS3.

At 3/10/09 12:26 AM, simon wrote: Wylo needs to fucking calm down with the achievements, jesus he's almost done Thing Thing aswell?!

That game was the easiest out of the three so far. I like Laboratory Large level.

At 3/10/09 01:40 AM, Bloodman101 wrote: Does the get a kill with every single weapon medal include the dualies?

Yes. I forgot to test if it includes Artifact 19, but I would assume so.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 02:43:59

I just saw that you have to die in a level for your achievements to register, so I have to get a bunch of them again. Lame.

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

There is also a browser script.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 02:54:30

At 3/9/09 08:48 PM, Zerok wrote: Do medals pop up as "achieved!" in Thing-Thing? Is there a restriction on what "mode" you play?

Both of these are true. They didn't when I made my post earlier. Everything is working fine now, bar from the fact that every now and then when you open the Flash after the preloader 3/4 of the screen is in grey.

I just went at it for a while, and certainly "earned" some but nothing transferred over to my NG account.

Try again now. It's a let-down that everyone have lost the medals that they gained before the AS for it had been redone, though everything should be working perfectly.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 03:05:44

At 3/10/09 02:01 AM, Wylo wrote:
Yes. I forgot to test if it includes Artifact 19, but I would assume so.

i don't have the artifact 19 yet... and i got it, just remember to use the pipe, i used all the weapons and that didn't appear, and then i realize i didn't try with the pipe... and achievement unlocked

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 04:32:34

At 3/10/09 03:05 AM, aldlv wrote:
i don't have the artifact 19 yet... and i got it, just remember to use the pipe, i used all the weapons and that didn't appear, and then i realize i didn't try with the pipe... and achievement unlocked

Got it. Thanks for the advice aldlv. ;)

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 09:21:12

Thing Thing arena 3 Medals are fucking hard, I'm gonna work on it
for the next while.

shit

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 11:51:15

Cool! I've just started to play to Thing Thing Arena 3. It's a cool game and I'm trying to get the achievements. I think you don't need to die to get them (maybe they've updated it or something) because when I get something I go to my profile and my achievement is there, even if I didn't die yet. I haven't tried it... Just in case...

Also maybe a few of you don't know this yet: You can press the down key twice after jumping to perform a stomp which looks cool.

Cheers!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 12:05:44

At 3/10/09 02:54 AM, mwmike wrote: Try again now.

Yep: She's runnin' smoothly. Managed to get four medals on my first run. =D

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 12:38:02

I figure since this is the official medal thread, I'd drop a note for anyone following.

The Medal system is still in beta (and just one of many new api features soon to be unleased), and has had a few hiccups as many of you have observed.

If any of the current medal-enabled games give you guys problems, feel free to PM me, but please provide as much information as you can to help us catch any problems. The hard part in debugging this system is that there is our code here on NG that handles the actual medal tracking, and then there is the game code by the author that handles the medal reporting.

One of the reasons Alkie Kong 2 has medals even though it's a shitty game, is that I coded it myself and I know for certain the medal code is installed in the game properly. If you have a glitch in any other game, but AK2 actually works for you, that would be something helpful to know when reporting a bug.

Also, please provide your full browser version (Firefox 3.0.6 rather than just firefox 3 for example), your flash player version, operating system and cpu speed.

Once we get all the kinks ironed out, we'll be announcing more details about the medal system and how YOU can plop them into your games.

Keep on truckin'

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 12:47:28

At 3/10/09 12:38 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: One of the reasons Alkie Kong 2 has medals even though it's a shitty game, is that I coded it myself and I know for certain the medal code is installed in the game properly.

I actually thought it was pretty good, even if it's hard as fuck on higher difficulty levels. :-)

Once we get all the kinks ironed out, we'll be announcing more details about the medal system and how YOU can plop them into your games.

The future of gaming looks bright. Can't wait to see how game makers make use of it.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 13:27:09

I am 100% sure now that you do not need to die before medals are added to your profile. They are already there right after the game notifies you about an achievement.

Also, something that might come in handy when playing Thing-Thing Arena 3: When enemies kill eachother with explosives or poison, the kill gets added to the weapon you are currently holding. So when going for the Lead Pipe Ninja achievement for example, it´s quite handy to drag your opponents into poison clouds ;)

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 13:35:33

What people mean by having to die is only in-game. The game will not record your achievements unless you die. You can get the medals, but you will have to fulfill the requirements for them again if you want to get Artifact 19, if you quit to menu after you got the medal. Such is my predicament.

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

There is also a browser script.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 13:59:01

At 3/10/09 09:21 AM, Asalraalaikum wrote: Thing Thing arena 3 Medals are fucking hard, I'm gonna work on it
for the next while.
shit

Not really. That game is kind of easy as hell. It just takes a really long time to get medals.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 14:02:15

This system will be controlled and monitored by you and other Newgrounds admins and such right?
Otherwise when this system hits public shelves, ever half assed game ever made will have 5 medals each worth 1000 points that involve opening the game.

Which games are allowed to have the medal system, and how much points each is worth will have to be heavily monitored by Newgrounds staff

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 14:22:08

I'm looking forward to this system, it's my substitute for an Xbox 360's achievement system!

Also I'm pretty sure that authors would need to have certain batting averages ( 3.5 to 4 at least im guessing). And then members could vote on whether medals are seen as suitable in difficulty and reward for them to be accepted.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." by Louis Hector Berlioz.

In case I haven't mentioned, I use AS2. Also, review my flash, I want feedback!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 15:14:35

I finally got all the medals in thing-thing 3, took me a while to figure out how to get the "Tried them all" achievement, turns out I forgot to use the lead pipe :D.

I'm still missing the brain badge in Portal Defenders, no matter how many times I get it, it won't register for me.

Alkie Kong 2 last 3 achievements are just too crazy for me, especially the last one.

Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 15:50:18

Thing thing 3 medals are easy to get but they take long to get. Though I still haven't got the Artifact 19. How many kills or amount of time before I can get it from an enemy?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 15:51:34

At 3/10/09 02:22 PM, Bluefox77 wrote: Also I'm pretty sure that authors would need to have certain batting averages ( 3.5 to 4 at least im guessing).

According to PGF, the admins will look at the Flash and either approve or deny the use of medals in Flashes. That sounds like it should work well, but there's a chance that people will be able to change the achievements, or even the entire file after their Flash has been approved or flood the admins with requests, so they won't be able to get around to approving the quality Flashes.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:00:33

At 3/10/09 03:50 PM, FurryFox wrote: Thing thing 3 medals are easy to get but they take long to get. Though I still haven't got the Artifact 19. How many kills or amount of time before I can get it from an enemy?

That has been answered already. It would be a cool idea to read through the thread before asking. Here's the answer:

At 3/10/09 02:01 AM, Wylo wrote: If you have all the achievements, start a new game and you should have a third weapon slot where Artifact 19 is. There is no unlock message.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:07:47

Are you shitting me.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:27:15

At 3/10/09 04:07 PM, Phil wrote: Are you shitting me.

There's an easier way to get 150 kills
Just go and use alternating weapons and grab new weapons that are high in shooting rate

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:44:20

This is kind of cheating the game, but if you're low on health, an easier way to survive and get your medals is stand inside the guys killing you. They can't shoot you that way.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:46:49

At 3/10/09 04:27 PM, Pokemonpoeguygcn wrote:
Just go and use alternating weapons and grab new weapons that are high in shooting rate

Or if you're looking to get a 50-100kill with one weapon medal, just go to a level like house large and stay in the corners where the ammo box spawns, getting the ammo box refreshes your ammo for the current weapons you're holding. ;)

Also, I think if an enemy kills itself,or another, the kill counts to whatever weapon you're holding, I think.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:50:30

At 3/10/09 04:44 PM, Aryk wrote: This is kind of cheating the game, but if you're low on health, an easier way to survive and get your medals is stand inside the guys killing you. They can't shoot you that way.

Over time your health regenerates (If you're not getting shot at)... If you're in a large battle, you can press F and execute someone, make sure to press F again after you've grabbed, while executing you're invulnerable, thus allowing your health to recharge.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-10 16:52:01

At 3/10/09 04:46 PM, Bloodman101 wrote:
At 3/10/09 04:27 PM, Pokemonpoeguygcn wrote:
Or if you're looking to get a 50-100kill with one weapon medal, just go to a level like house large and stay in the corners where the ammo box spawns, getting the ammo box refreshes your ammo for the current weapons you're holding. ;)

Also, I think if an enemy kills itself,or another, the kill counts to whatever weapon you're holding, I think.

Yeah you're right, I've tested it before. Using the Thompson from the beginning, without using any other weapon, I got the medal when I reached 100 kills, and enemies killed themselves several times.