00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Waimor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NHL Hockey Fan-Club

286,982 Views | 4,406 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-16 11:27:46

At 8/15/06 12:55 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: I've already spoken with Dobio. Yes, he'll be creating the league. Signups don't start until late august because yahoo is focusing on the football dealio.

Good man, I'll keep my eye out for the post in General, but if he makes it, can someone put the link up, because I really want to sign up to that league.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-16 18:52:46

Tip to all: Don't pick up alot of Flames... :(

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-16 20:32:50

At 8/16/06 06:52 PM, da_pope wrote: Tip to all: Don't pick up alot of Flames... :(

I'm having trouble formulating a drafting strategy in my head :(.

I'm thinking of going for offensive defenseman though, since Aapo rode that to a dominating victory.

Then again, last season my fantasy team was built almost entirely of free agent picks.

Also:
Nolan signing with the coyotes.
Yeesh. Roenick is one thing, but I don't see nolan becoming a dmoinant force.

Ducks agreed to an extention with Beauchamin. Hope he rides Neidermayer's coattail's to another good season.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-16 20:50:36

At 8/16/06 08:32 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: I'm having trouble formulating a drafting strategy in my head :(.

I have a list of players building in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-16 21:52:57

At 8/15/06 12:55 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: I've already spoken with Dobio. Yes, he'll be creating the league. Signups don't start until late august because yahoo is focusing on the football dealio.

Hmmm...perhaps this time I'll actually be free enough to be involved with the league. Time to start planning my team.

I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was.

Now what I'm with isn't it and what's it seems weird and scary to me.

It'll happen to you!

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-17 07:51:03

At 8/16/06 08:50 PM, da_pope wrote: I have a list of players building in my head.

So do I and I'm not telling anyone what it is, I don't want you to draft all of my dark horse picks before I ge tot draft them instead.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-17 11:34:32

At 8/17/06 07:51 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 8/16/06 08:50 PM, da_pope wrote: I have a list of players building in my head.
So do I and I'm not telling anyone what it is, I don't want you to draft all of my dark horse picks before I ge tot draft them instead.

Wotjek Wolksilol.

But yeah, I've got a good number of the players I'd like already in my head. And they're players I actually think I can get, it's not a list of "Jagr, Thornton, etc"

Hope I can can inside the first ten in the draft order. 7-8 would be nice.

In other news, looks like both Kessel and Malkin will be in the NHL this year.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-17 11:49:06

At 8/17/06 11:34 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Wotjek Wolksilol.

It's Wotjek Wolski actually, but he wasn't who I was on about (or was he...)

But yeah, I've got a good number of the players I'd like already in my head. And they're players I actually think I can get, it's not a list of "Jagr, Thornton, etc"

Well, we can guarantee they will both be drafted quickly. Weather or not I get them or choose to go after them is a different matter

Hope I can can inside the first ten in the draft order. 7-8 would be nice.

Bank on being last, it saves on dissapointment

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-23 20:37:19

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-24 04:34:25

At 8/23/06 08:37 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: fantasy hockey guys

Oh yes! *signs up*

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-08-25 11:40:08

Flames signed a Russian prospect who name I cannot spell.
Tarathukin or something like that.

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 04:39:15

Activity is down to a halt. :(

Anyway, I've learned I will get to attend a Ducks home game, which will be against the Rangers.
I'm excited about this because they're two of my favorite teams, and the Blueshirts only come to the pond once every three years under the new schedule.

Also, the fantasy draft has come and gone and I like my team. Solid defense, solid forward. I have a share of veterans and prospects, as well. only a few injury risks, like Svatos and Whitney, but I feel my team can absorb then being out for a little while.
Plus, I've got kipper.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 04:54:35

At 9/15/06 04:39 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Also, the fantasy draft has come and gone and I like my team. Solid defense, solid forward. I have a share of veterans and prospects, as well. only a few injury risks, like Svatos and Whitney, but I feel my team can absorb then being out for a little while.

Oh, so you got one of my lynchpins from last year's campaign?!

I ranked Svatos and Staal as my top 2 and oh what a surprise, I got neither.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 05:14:51

At 9/15/06 04:54 AM, Coop83 wrote:
Oh, so you got one of my lynchpins from last year's campaign?!
I ranked Svatos and Staal as my top 2 and oh what a surprise, I got neither.

That's very odd. Since you had asuch a high draft choice. are you sure you didn't rank CHeech first, and THEN Staal?. As for svatos, I didn't pick him up until the 4th round.

On that subject, I hope he and fellow youngster Wolski find some chemistry, that'd be a huge boost for my offense.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 05:20:19

At 9/15/06 05:14 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: That's very odd. Since you had asuch a high draft choice. are you sure you didn't rank CHeech first, and THEN Staal?. As for svatos, I didn't pick him up until the 4th round.

Hmm, that might be what happened I hate it when I miss the draft bnecause of my timezone :@

On that subject, I hope he and fellow youngster Wolski find some chemistry, that'd be a huge boost for my offense.

I'd be happy for Svatos and Wolski to give you fantasy points, becasue that would mean the Avs are doing well.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 05:39:01

At 9/15/06 05:20 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/15/06 05:14 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: That's very odd. Since you had asuch a high draft choice. are you sure you didn't rank CHeech first, and THEN Staal?. As for svatos, I didn't pick him up until the 4th round.
Hmm, that might be what happened I hate it when I miss the draft bnecause of my timezone :@

Aapo was determined to be there, he stayed up until some crazy hour. Can't say I'd do the same.

I'd be happy for Svatos and Wolski to give you fantasy points, becasue that would mean the Avs are doing well.

yeah, I missed out on all the ducks I had this year. :( my mcdonald/selanne one-two punch was my most effective point producer last year. At least I swung a deal for pronger and got mcdonald in the draft.

Also, my team is entirely different from the squad I put together last year. The only returning players are Mcdonald and Lupul. I still like my chances, though.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 05:42:08

At 9/15/06 05:39 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Also, my team is entirely different from the squad I put together last year. The only returning players are Mcdonald and Lupul. I still like my chances, though.

The only player I still have is Cheechoo, but he should still be up there with his first full season as Joe Thornton's Wingman

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-15 16:32:36

So another Flyer retires due to injury if you guys haven't heard already. Keith Primeau decided to hang up his skates after realizing that he just wasn't going to be able to come back and play after his last concussion which he suffered early last season in a game vs. Montreal.

So now 2 veterans in Primeau and Desjardins are gone and Forsberg takes over as Captain. It's not all bad as it clears up some cap room which the Flyers needed to due after squeezing Gagne in on a 5 year deal which I think was somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-$5 mil a year.

As far as him as a Flyer, I respected him, but I didn't really warm up to him as a player as other Flyers fans I know did. Perhaps it was because they traded Brind'Amour for him and I liked how he played for the Flyers, and I had 2 of his jerseys. Still, Prims was a good player when he was needed to be. Had the Flyers made the 2004 finals, win or lose Primeau probably woulda won the Conn Smythe.

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-16 09:36:07

At 9/15/06 04:32 PM, phileeguy wrote: So another Flyer retires due to injury if you guys haven't heard already. Keith Primeau decided to hang up his skates after realizing that he just wasn't going to be able to come back and play after his last concussion which he suffered early last season in a game vs. Montreal.

He wasn't a great player, but he played his heart out. It's always a shame when someone like that has to retire due to injury.

That cap space could see you being the team for the blockbuster trade early this season.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-17 03:35:00

Slowest day thus far in fantasy hockey. :(

Thank god the preseason opens tomorrow and I'll be able to read updates on that, rather than hoping to make some deals in the NG league.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-17 04:37:22

At 9/17/06 03:35 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Slowest day thus far in fantasy hockey. :(

Well, I'm not making any moves until I've had about a week in the season to try and determine what I've got, before trading away anyone who's going to have a massive year (a la someone who will remain nameless dropping Eric Staal, allowing me to pick him up)

Thank god the preseason opens tomorrow and I'll be able to read updates on that, rather than hoping to make some deals in the NG league.

I'm looking forward to seeing what each team looks like pre-season, as it will give me some idea, but players don't play their hardest until the games mean something.

At 9/17/06 04:08 AM, Gooch wrote: I'd have to disagree with that statement. I believe that Primeau was a great player. Sure, he didn't have tne numbers of a superstar like Peter Forsberg or Jaromir Jagr, he did a lot of other things that many other players don't do to get the job done and get the win.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from him here. I don't think he was great, but he was still a very good player, who went out there and used his body to create things for his team

That's why I think statistics are overrated as to what makes a player great or not. If they contribute more than just offensively, and they do itwell, they should be considered a great player, which I believe Keith Primeau was.

Just because I'm a statboy doesn't mean I always use stats to dictate how good or bad a player is. I've watched this man play hard and turn his team around in a crunch situation, because he always played hard, physical hockey. If that isn't the spirit of Philly Hockey, I don't know what is!

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-17 04:50:37

At 9/17/06 04:37 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/17/06 03:35 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Slowest day thus far in fantasy hockey. :(
Well, I'm not making any moves until I've had about a week in the season to try and determine what I've got, before trading away anyone who's going to have a massive year (a la someone who will remain nameless dropping Eric Staal, allowing me to pick him up)

I actually did that during the season. Oh well. His point totals STILL wouldn't have gotten me firsst place, aapo was that far ahead. That is also the reason why I haven't traded my numerous prospects IE: Kessel, Kronwall, Penner

I'm looking forward to seeing what each team looks like pre-season, as it will give me some idea, but players don't play their hardest until the games mean something.

Yeah. Last season, only one of the top 4 preseason scorers went on to make any impact at all, It was heatley, btw. And the Sharks also went Undefeated, before stumbling throughout the season. Until that blockbuster trade, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from him here. I don't think he was great, but he was still a very good player, who went out there and used his body to create things for his team

He showed flashes of it, like when he threw the team on his back in the playoffs a few years back, but on the whole I agree with you. He was a solid, hardworking player.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-18 05:43:19

The preseason officially started today. It was a day that saw Ed Belfour get burned 3 times on 14 shots by a Calgary team playing without their top line, and had goaltender "Krahn" between the pipes.

Columbus pitched a 2-0 shutout against the preds, who were without Paul Kariya. Columbus rested Nash and some other talented players.

Edmonton got a 5-0 shutout over the Coyotes, in winnipeg. Stoll put in 2 goals on route to a win that involved an unheard of goalie betweent the nets. Mctavish was impressed with his performance, so if Roloson falters after his major knee injury, they may have a kipper in the making.

Devils also put up a 5-0 shutout against the bruins. The devils had Unsigned goalie Scott Clemmensen in net, while Boston had projected number one Toivonen manning the basket.
Bruins played without Chara, Savard, and Kessel.
This move makes little sense, to me. yes, I'm aware you don't want to risk your star players in the preseason, but Boston is passing up an opportunity to build chemistry. Which will be especially key for Kessel and Savard, since they're projected to be 2/3rds of the second scoring line.

In fantasy news, Dobio has added an extra becnh slot. So you may want to scuttle over there. I'm happy with my selection, Steve Bernier of the Sharks. He put up 27 points in 39 games as a 20 year old. For this year, he's projected to be playing with Marleau.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-18 11:56:35

At 9/17/06 04:37 AM, Coop83 wrote: I've watched this man play hard and turn his team around in a crunch situation, because he always played hard, physical hockey. If that isn't the spirit of Philly Hockey, I don't know what is!

You're not far off on your statements, but me being the resident expert on what "Philly Hockey" is, let me give you the official definition:

Philly Hockey /fil'-ee hok-ee/
-verb (go with me on this)
The act of playing one's heart out on the ice and to the best of ones abilities, even if it's to the detriment of one's health and future playability and earning the respect and hopes of the fans, only to crush those hopes and inevitably being bounced usually in the first or second round of the playoffs.

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-18 16:44:48

At 9/18/06 11:56 AM, phileeguy wrote: Philly Hockey /fil'-ee hok-ee/
-verb (go with me on this)

Well, I was close. He's not quite the 1970s embodiment of it, but he was damn close

Lindros might have been, but he was a traitor to Philadelphia

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-18 18:52:22

At 9/18/06 04:44 PM, Coop83 wrote: Well, I was close. He's not quite the 1970s embodiment of it, but he was damn close

Lindros might have been, but he was a traitor to Philadelphia

Well, I do think he did play to the best of his abilities, but he was oft injured with concussions and whatnot. He wasn't very emotional in the way he presented himself on and off the ice, so the fans never really warmed up with him.

Oh and the whole Lindros/Clarke squabble that ran him out of town destroyed any chance of the fans liking him. It wasn't that he didn't perform, he did, but the Flyers didn't win a cup when he was with them and it almost hurts thinking that they traded Forsberg, Hextall and Ricci among others to get him.

Other Flyers news: Coach Ken Hitchcock signed a 3 year extension on his contract to stand behind the bench.

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-20 05:47:25

Another day of preseason in the books, and this one held promise for some of my rookies.
I realize preseason is a whole different animal than the regular, but still, a short handed goal by Wolski, an even strength tally by Carle, and a pair of assists by Kessel are rather promising.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-20 08:29:22

At 9/18/06 06:52 PM, phileeguy wrote: Other Flyers news: Coach Ken Hitchcock signed a 3 year extension on his contract to stand behind the bench.

You've got a great coach there. Hitchcock can and will do good things behind that bench. I'm fed up with the preseason, I want to see proper games NOW!

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-22 20:00:49

So much for not doing any tweaks before the season starts, coop. :\

Gave up crosby's line-mate for a guy with a blind spot. asldfjkhasdjfh.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to NHL Hockey Fan-Club 2006-09-30 00:22:33

id sat detroit red wings cause im from detroit and the colorado avalanche 2 besat teams