00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Waimor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Wikigrounds Club

57,180 Views | 379 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-06 23:45:33

At 9/6/11 11:06 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I have made requests through PM's in the past. I made one recently with no response. So I will not only ask this again, but also offer as well.

I'd have to go over it with Icedragon or another admin, but it looks possibly page-worthy to me. Most of the other admins come online very rarely for varying reasons. I come around at least once a day because I don't have much better to do, so I guess you should be PMing me for your questions until we start seeing a bit more activity from the better admins.

q

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-07 15:09:52

At 9/6/11 11:06 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I have made requests through PM's in the past. I made one recently with no response. So I will not only ask this again, but also offer as well.

Could The Interviewer be added to Wikigrounds? If not then I would like to know why? Also you are more than welcome to use it to garner information about artists and members.

Here is the main page of everybody who has been interviewed.

You asked me and I asked around since I had never heard of you. The feedback I got was that the interviews are real enough, so- thanks, we probably will use them for info for our Pages. However, people don't feel that these interviews are very well-known/Notable. I am not aware of any other PMs you have written and I am sorry that I didn't get back to you.
I would imagine that it is only a matter of time before the interview series becomes Notable on Wikigrounds- Notability is hard to define and involves peoples personal preferences and opinion to some extent. Since you have gone to the trouble of asking again, I will bear this source of info in mind. If we read the interviews and find a lot of significant information in them, I am sure we will reach a point where a Page is made and kept.

The project this month is Notability, ironically enough, but certainly when we are next focussing on people of some sort we will start reading your interviews and take it from there.

It probably doesn't help that you call yourself The Great One- people can be wary of those who self-publicise too much- tho that does not concern me, I just don't know anything about you.

Thank you for your interest in Wikigrounds. Further PM's probably had best go to JJ at the moment, I am trying to step back as much as possible.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-07 20:58:22

At 9/7/11 03:09 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: It probably doesn't help that you call yourself The Great One- people can be wary of those who self-publicise too much- tho that does not concern me, I just don't know anything about you.

Yes, I know my username brings this narcissistic outlook towards me. When I first signed up my username was Wilber7, when the username lock down was announced I decided to change my username, I just chose that because it sounded and looked nice. Nothing more to it.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-15 23:03:25

It probably doesn't help that you call yourself The Great One- people can be wary of those who self-publicise too much- tho that does not concern me, I just don't know anything about you.

:I just chose that because it sounded and looked nice. Nothing more to it.

Tom announced your latestInterview in a Post, so that tips the balance, IMO.

I propose we make Interviews the subject for next month.

I have included a link to your interview with Tom on his Page on WikiG. Thanks

Note that there was apeal oin WikiG on September 11th- We should respond to that, since we have nothign much about the Day.

I have made a start talking to various significant Crew people about Notability, but I am busy elsewhere. Will somebody please BEAT ME at this THeme! Tyler? Anyone?

The Wikigrounds Club

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-19 19:29:15

"Just out of curiosity would the top audio and art reviewers count as notable? They don't get as much attention as the #1 flash reviewer but they still could be notable for holding the #1 positions in each review category I think."

- Possibly, though attention is a large part of what defines Notability. We have not defined #1 Flash reviewer as automatically Notable- we consider that the current holder has "combined notability" as a significant contributor elsewhere. In our discussions so far, we considered that the various Stat record holders are not Notable in themselves and that we would look at each case and consider whether there is really a Page of information to write. It is possible that Pages may be created for subjects that contain small paragraphs on individual subjects- Like the Former Mods Page that records those former mods that we consider no longer Notable- which usually means we didn't think we had much to say about them. Let me emphasise here that although I am the foremost voice on WikiG at present, things may change if others step in as I step back and I am only ONE of the admin on WikiG.

The contents of this Thread are forming part of the dialogue to define these things.

Thanks

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-19 19:41:26

At 9/17/11 11:05 AM, Travis wrote: Not to sound selfish, but I love the wiki, it has a nice historical outlook on NG.

Just a few days ago I was added to the genre/icon mod groups, so I was hoping you could plop my name into there.

Ah, a FAN! a vain one as well! How useful...

I will do you a deal Mr Travis. You write your terribly Notable opinions on the subject of Notability either HERE or here in the NG thread and I will record you for posterity on Wikigrounds

Currently the Moderators are considered automatically Notable at least as long as they are Mods. Some people (including mods) question this. The Notability of genre/icon mods is PARTICULARLY controversial as they are considered:
1. Low profile
2. Not really moderators
3. There is usually little to say about them
4. No different to Official Wiki Editors - who are definately not considered Notable

As you are now one - what do you think?
Would people expect that every Icon Mod should have a Page? Is this person as significant as a Flash with a Weekly 1st? Would anyone ever read the Page of someone who was ONLY known as a genre mod?

Here is anyone's chance to join the dialogue!

So far the Theme competition is only contended between 2 of us- Join in and take over the project- Win this month!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-20 00:54:13

Alright Ice here's a description for The Interviewer.

The Interviewer's motto has always been "Interviews with famous Newgrounds Members" and it still stands to be that to this day. Throughout time though it has also been dedicated on shining the light on those underrated creators who are notable for their craft. No matter how highly a person is ranked due to their works or how deep in the shadows they may be, hidden from the site. When they answer questions for The Interviewer, they are just as normal as anybody else, that much is apparent to our readers.

You get to see a more open side to some of these creators and their craft. To see and hear a different side to them that to the normal fan would seem bizarrely human. It traces their humble beginnings of discovering this site and later on signing up, their first creation to shown to the many viewers of Newgrounds, and it ends by asking what the person has in store for the future.

I would be lying if I did not say that I have not learned anything from doing these myself, I certainly have. To look into the world of these artists and individuals is truly a treat to see and hear. I am thankful that I can have the privilege to share it with you.

- The-Great-One

Well there you have it. As for notability. You sent me a link for notability talk on the Crews page. You also sent me a link to this page and this page. I'm sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what you want me to write and where, it just all seems a bit clunky to me. Also I have never written a wiki so I'm not exactly what I should or should not be doing.

If I were to write anything I would prefer to send it to you through PM or on here, it will take a good bit of stress off of me that is for sure.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-20 10:36:41

At 9/20/11 09:31 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Not trying to ruin the happiness here but shouldn't that wiki page if made, be like all the other ones and telling a short history on the user or account from a neutral third person point of view?

I don't know how to make Wiki pages. I have no idea what Ice Dragon is looking for from me. I have absolutely no clue how to write a Wiki page!

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-22 20:43:35

At 9/20/11 10:36 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/20/11 09:31 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Not trying to ruin the happiness here but shouldn't that wiki page if made, be like all the other ones and telling a short history on the user or account from a neutral third person point of view?
I don't know how to make Wiki pages. I have no idea what Ice Dragon is looking for from me. I have absolutely no clue how to write a Wiki page!

- The Great One wanted a Page for his Interviewer series and I told him that after I ascertained that it was what we considered Notable, we would make one some day. As we are doing a project on what is considered Notable (ie important enough to have a Page on Wikigrounds) I asked him to put in his opinion on this subject and directed him to the relevent place to put the info.
I thought that since he picked people whom he considered important enough to interview, his view would be relevent here.
Unfortunately, I appear not have made myself clear- he has told me about the Interviewer as if I asked for info for that Page and talked as if I was asking him to write a Page, when I directed him to a Talk page (where you write notes about a Page subject).

On Wikigrounds, although we think it is OK to write on ones Page, it must be written in 3rd person and in a balanced, encyclopedic way. Little-Rena created her/his own Page and Wade Fulp edited his own Page- in each case I altered the edits into a more encyclopedic style. We may use quotations from TGO's text here in a quote on WikiG.

This notability thing is SO important: SCTE3- you are a regular here and I believe you drop into Wikigrounds now and then- would you care to jot down a couple of ideas on the subject- How would you define notable:

Flash Crews?

Notable Art in the Portal?

Notable Audio Tracks?

What things and people are just momentary fads and what things should be recorded, studied, explained on Wikigrounds Pages?

Let me establish some basics-

Tom Fulp IS a notable User. IceDragon64 is NOT because he is not that important/famous/significant- nobody wants to read about him -but what about people in between-

Is WinchesterLock? Is Aksumka? Is Little-Rena? Is Fire? Is Salnax?

how do you define this difference?

Teh Clock Crew IS a notable Flash Crew. The Comet Crew is NOT - it was a moment's joke.
Are the Noob Nation? Are the Dragons & Spirits? Are the Soup Squad? Where should we draw the line?

David Orr IS notable as a NG musician. Afro Ninja is NOT (though he has a Page for other reasons). Who else is? How do we define this?

This should not be about one persons oppinion "I think he is a great flash artist, so I will make a Page". It is about "People will want this Page. People would expect us to have this Page. This subject is what people will generally accept as among the most important subjects on Newgrounds"- so NO- I don't have a Page!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-22 22:53:48

At 9/22/11 09:00 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Who's the Comet Crew or Dragon and Spirits? I guess if little to no one has heard of a crew then why bother mentioning it right?

The Comet Crew was a joke made by members of another crew, who made one submission as their joke. Dragon & Spirits are the crew that Icedragon's in! Hence the name Icedragon.

On another note, I added a little bit of information into the notability page, and made it changeable for signed-up users until we can finish it.

q

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-24 20:24:02

- thanks for the feedback. anyone else any thoughts. If we don't get a significant voice of opinion here, we go on as before.

Where should we draw the line?

Who's the Comet Crew or Dragon and Spirits? I guess if little to no one has heard of a crew then why bother mentioning it right?

Well thats the idea, but how do we decide if people have heard of a crew? If, say Narcissy made a Page for the Soups today, should we delete it? - by the criteria we have now Soups would be deleted as they are less than a year old, but the Lucky Stars could have a Page even though there is nothing actually Notable about them- they are around 4 years old. they have more movies than the DS and one or two movies over 3/5. nobody pays them any attention and most people consider all their movies more or less spam, but rules are rules unless we rewrite them.

If nobody works with Notability- don't complain if you don't get the Pages you want.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-25 13:50:56

At 9/24/11 08:24 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: If nobody works with Notability- don't complain if you don't get the Pages you want.

I guess what makes a flash crew notable depends on how long they've been here and what word is spoken of them. When it comes to adding people based on notability, I believe that those who work on their craft or leave an impact on the site are those who are notable and this could be through either fame or infamy.

Take Ocarina-Kid for example. He is a nobody, one of his songs was on the front of the Audio Portal's Top 5, but I did an interview with him. Why? Because his music is truly wonderful and he dedicates himself to his craft.

Deciding who is notable is a tough question to ask and you can't really make a ranking or standard for it to be honest. The only ways you could do this is to ask two questions.

What has this person done on the site?
Is it enough to be seen as notable?

If you can answer both of those questions with the answer for the second one being yes, then that person is notable.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-27 09:42:04

At 9/25/11 01:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/24/11 08:24 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: If nobody works with Notability- don't complain if you don't get the Pages you want.
I guess what makes a flash crew notable depends on how long they've been here and what word is spoken of them. When it comes to adding people based on notability, I believe that those who work on their craft or leave an impact on the site are those who are notable and this could be through either fame or infamy.

Take Ocarina-Kid for example. He is a nobody, one of his songs was on the front of the Audio Portal's Top 5, but I did an interview with him. Why? Because his music is truly wonderful and he dedicates himself to his craft.

OK, so you are saying that you sometimes pick people just cos YOU like them.

Deciding who is notable is a tough question to ask and you can't really make a ranking or standard for it to be honest.

But we have to try and do that in order to have one standard to work towards. The criteria of "ranking or standards" that we have so far has served us not-too-bad for the last 500 pages. We just want to do better now.

The only ways you could do this is to ask two questions.

What has this person done on the site?
Is it enough to be seen as notable?

If you can answer both of those questions with the answer for the second one being yes, then that person is notable.

Sorry, but are you saying that if they are notable, then they are notable?! ?11?

The problem is that each person has their own interests and percieves people differently- I know about Crews, so I think they are Notable. Someone else who knows about Art may think that art guys who I have never heard of are extremely Notable. Thats why we need measures.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-27 13:09:25

At 9/27/11 09:42 AM, IceDragon64 wrote: OK, so you are saying that you sometimes pick people just cos YOU like them.

Sometimes, but I see them as notable.

Sorry, but are you saying that if they are notable, then they are notable?! ?11?

You see this is why I cannot help you with this. I don't know what you're looking for.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-27 20:27:09

At 9/27/11 01:09 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/27/11 09:42 AM, IceDragon64 wrote: OK, so you are saying that you sometimes pick people just cos YOU like them.
Sometimes, but I see them as notable.

You see this is why I cannot help you with this. I don't know what you're looking for.

Sorry if I was flippant-
I am sure you can. Mostof the people you interview are those you perceive as famous/well known/significant/NOTABLE to Newgrounders in general- yes? Presumably by now you have had quite a bit of feedback from other people too, including probably comments about how significant that person is. You have demonstrated a wide interest in the different parts of Newgrounds- yes? I was hoping that this would give you a good perspective to say something about what criteria makes a person Notable and what is just a passing fad.

For example, I thought that moderators were not that important- some of the more modest moderators are surprised that we consider them automatically Notable. However, many people consider that they are really important and apparently their Pages are often read. Once we got started people immediately made Pages for them and nobody has seriously questioned it since.

Also, people who are regulars on the Forums think that forum stuff, like someone with thousands of posts is terribly important, but research showed us that the forums are a drop in the ocean to the main Portal traffic on the site and Tom agrees.

I am sure you would agree with me that one little Daily 3rd doesn't make someone Notable- so what does? A first? a weekly? or does somebody have to get a Tank award to get a Page for being a Notable Author?

So, I am not really asking what YOU think is important, but what you reckon people in general would think of as important, in your experience.

Your answers so far ARE interesting and tell us something about The Interviewer. They are also a reminder that people will always have their own opinion and we can never please everyone with the Notability of Pages on Wikigrounds, so thank you for persisting with this.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-09-30 20:43:55

Wonderful! Now perhaps you would like to actually read my post- I didn't ask for the blurb about you...

I will do you a deal Mr Travis. You write your terribly Notable opinions on the subject of Notability either HERE or here in the NG thread and I will record you for posterity on Wikigrounds

We are at the end of a monthly theme (and competition) about Wikigrounds/Newgrounds Notability and virtually NOBODY has given us any opinions for it. No ART or Audio pages will be made until we have some criteria for Notability for them. We have asked various Art & Audio types to help us and they haven't- what do we know?

Tonight, you could win the Monthly Theme with a single blast of ideas on Notability on all subjects, just read the recent thread here and write it all down- Submissions, Users, Art, Audio, Artists, Musicians, Other relevent sites... What makes each so important we should have Pages about them?

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-10-06 00:00:40

I'm updating a few templates right now, mainly the flash one. My blog post on it.

Of course, what I really should be doing is HELP DEFINE NOTABILITY.

And Icedragon, did you know about this? I find it funny that its been there the whole time.

q

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-10-06 20:26:27

At 10/6/11 12:00 AM, joeyjoah wrote: I'm updating a few templates right now, mainly the flash one. My blog post on it.

-cool

Of course, what I really should be doing is HELP DEFINE NOTABILITY.

- I am waiting before doing the Monthly Changes in the vain hope that anyone else will step in. If you take the info we have on the various subjects and put it into the Page you created, you can have this Monthly theme competition. I will go there now and do Crews after getting a little feedback from crews on the subject this month.

And Icedragon, did you know about this? I find it funny that its been there the whole time.

Ah, you see Salnax created it along with a couple of sample pages for Art, then we stopped the whole Art project because nobody would decide Notability for Art, so we didn't want to encourage anyone to create more Art Pages until we have Notability sorted. We really want Artists to decide Notability, but they have not been interested.
If you feel like inserting it into the Pages we have, go ahead.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-10-11 19:14:28

Finalising Notability
1. I did the Page, because nobody else did, so I claim last month's competition.

2. Moany Malachy says that if I want to talk to the C&C regs any more about Club Notability I should thrash it out here first. Well, I feel I have already annoyed y'all enough on this subject and I am virtually the only person who posts here at the moment, but I always respect mods cos I sure as hell wouldn't want to bother to do their job- so here goes...

Do we want Pages about any of the Clubs & Crews on the forums? We have a couple of NG oriented clubs already, such as the Review Club etc. What defines a forum club as being Notable enough to have a Page?
* length of time?
*Number of replies?
*Number of views?
*Number of Pages?
or WHAT?

I have put something in for now, but I want input from C&C people.

My own preference would be to only have forum clubs that are:
1. Newgrounds related
2. Over a year old
3. Have over 1K of replies

BUT I don't really know anything about C&C. That is the point, I have no comparison. I want to talk to some people who actually hang out here and can tell me what people think. Please?

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-10-11 19:52:49

OK, three posts in a row- not good. Thats cos you lot who read it don't post- give us your thoughts, that is what this thread is FOR!

Monthly winner and New Competition

Joey helped set it up and a few people ansered my questions, but I chased people up with questions, and wrote it all up, filling in the gaps with my own oppinion, so it was definately my month.

We want to do something that Spaintendo asked for a long time ago. Put in links from The interviewer into the Pages of the various people he interviewed. Simple, no need to quote unless you want to get a few key bits of info, just put in the Link to the Page and write Interview in your edit summary.
As you can see from the above post, if you have any thoughts on Notability, it is not too late to gvie us your opinion.

See you next month. I am WORKING ON AN IMPORTANT SUBMISSION WITH MY GIRLFRIEND, as you will see!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-01 16:34:21

The problem with determining the notability of art is that the Art Portal seems to have surprisingly little traffic. The most viewed submission of all time doesn't even reach the 500,000 views necessary for notability. There's plenty of artwork though, suggesting this means individual pieces simply never get as much attention.

I think artwork should receive an article if it gets a Weekly Users' Choice Award, any Monthly Award, or has some special claim to fame, like being used as part of a huge project, or being in the news.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-01 22:16:38

I have edited my page once again, please leave it as female, this is the gender role I identify with, as per my profile and everything else, I am the one who originally edited it that way, so please, leave it that way.

Thanks.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-02 20:41:35

At 12/1/11 10:16 PM, Little-Rena wrote: I have edited my page once again, please leave it as female, this is the gender role I identify with, as per my profile and everything else, I am the one who originally edited it that way, so please, leave it that way.

Thanks.

Salnax and I both totally support this assertion and will revert any attempt to change it without at least discussing it first. I cannot imagine any reason that we should go against LR's identified gender, although obviously people have a right to discuss this in the normal polite way on Wikigrounds if they wish.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-02 20:55:17

Salnax wins Oct-Nov!

1. He was the first person to do any work on Interviews in this time period, although the work is only just begun. The Interviews are an important source of information about Notable people and add much to the credibility, as well as the informative content of the Wiki. I will knock out a couple of links etc. this month, at least- indeed if I have time I will challenge for the December theme competition. Please put "Interview" in the box when you write the edit, so we can see easily what interview work is being done.

2. Please check out my Blood Donation submission. It is a worthy cause, which I hope you will all consider supporting in some way. Also, please give it a Review if you have anything new and helpful to say, I am prepared to consider making changes.

3. Please welcome Salnax back- he has been unwell for a long time and is back and busy editing. We have MISSED HIM and we hope he will be able to join in on recent projects, such as finalising Notability, which is still ongoing.

4. Please post your thoughts on Wikigrounds here- a lot of people read this thread when it comes up and supporting the club thread is a simple way of supporting this useful source of Newgrounds information.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-05 05:12:54

Whats it take to get a Stats whore page on this Wikigrounds? Seeing as Domo has one (the last time that I looked) and I've got a few stats that are higher then his.

Just a stats whore looking for some kind of acknowledgement ;).

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-05 09:30:27

At 12/5/11 05:12 AM, Decky wrote: Whats it take to get a Stats whore page on this Wikigrounds? Seeing as Domo has one (the last time that I looked) and I've got a few stats that are higher then his.

Sorry for the double post. I made myself one. it's pretty basic but if somebody wants to make it better they are more then welcome. I'll get on it myself when I next have the time.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-14 19:42:27

At 12/5/11 09:30 AM, Decky wrote:
At 12/5/11 05:12 AM, Decky wrote: Whats it take to get a Stats whore page on this Wikigrounds? Seeing as Domo has one (the last time that I looked) and I've got a few stats that are higher then his.
Sorry for the double post. I made myself one. it's pretty basic but if somebody wants to make it better they are more then welcome. I'll get on it myself when I next have the time.

Sorry, pal, but Domo has one becuase he is a Mod, not because he is a Statwhore. You are welcome to put your info onto your Userpage on WikiG, but I have already put your Page up for deletion. You are only at all likely to be considered Notable on your stats if you are the HIGHEST on a given stat, and even then, maybe not. Its probably easier to become an Icon or Genre Mod (not a wiki editor, they are not really mods) If you are in any doubt, check out my stats etc. I don't have a Page.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-20 17:25:40

HAHAHAHahaha!!!11!!!

Way back I remember Salnax writing to me saying that there was going to be an official wiki on Newgrounds and imagining that it would be the end of us. Various people said that we were just rubbish and it would be so good to have everything on the official wiki, which would be so much better.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Maybe one day the official wiki will be some threat to our sense of purpose, but at present, it is out of date and extremely limited in its scope. The FAQ is often rather out of date too and is not really that well written. We offered to help them, but not much has come of it, so we continue, with hundreds of visitors, hundreds of pages, hundreds of editors, hundreds of pix, links, quotes, refs, edits etc.etc.

Onward into the New Year. I only plan to do a few Interview links tonight, so if anyone wants to take the Monthly competition for December, it won't be that hard- hurry up tho, only a few days to go.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-20 22:41:11

Hello. Haven't been on Wikigrounds much the past few days. I've seen the links to The Interviewer. I just wanted to thank all of you for the time and patience of dealing with The Interviewer and giving us this recognition. It truly does mean a lot.

Response to The Wikigrounds Club 2011-12-24 20:44:29

The-Great-One tells me that Theinterviewer is regularly given a shout-out spot on the Front Page by Tom.

1. Is that so? I rarely visit FP.

2. If it is, then is Theinterviewer Notable?

If you read this and don't bother to give your opinion, don't complain if you don't get what you want on WikiG.

We really need a few of you to come forward and join in. One day a month would be very useful to us, or one week in a year- Register, edit, join in the Monthly theme- go back to your usual whatever for a long time- Not so hard !

BBS Signature